Sign in to follow this  
Chichcan

Cantwell coming back

16 hours ago, Petriix said:

I'll never understand the vitriol towards Todd. As far as I can tell his only crimes have been to have long hair, post on social media and lose form. All the nonsense about his attitude is purely guesswork.

It's nothing short of idiocy to write him off completely, especially when we've now reverted to playing the system he excelled in and will be playing back at the lower level that was more suited to his ability. 

His "crime'  is falling short of the gold plated diamond that some hoped would be Maddison mark 2. 

We can still hope that a change is good as a rest and that he will still prove to be a competent footballer who has the ability to push on albeit perhaps at a more modest pace than some would have anticipated. We should be supportive to him to achieve.

• Like 1

We should give him the chance of a full pre season, as its pretty much the best option other than letting him go for a huge loss currently. But I agree it doesn't bode well he has hardly excelled with Bournemouth.

16 hours ago, Petriix said:

I'll never understand the vitriol towards Todd. As far as I can tell his only crimes have been to have long hair, post on social media and lose form. All the nonsense about his attitude is purely guesswork.

Sulking in a way that gets as much attention as possible is my only beef with the lad.  I find it highly unprofessional and drags the moral of fans down the drain.  It's about the team and supporting those around you, not the individual.

Supported him throughout the hate, but hearing him saying he wanted to get out of this club on that first interview with Bournemouth I just think **** you then mate.

19 hours ago, Badger said:

He's a young man and by all accounts a pleasant one, although I have never met him. We know that he has had personal difficulties this year and the season never got going for him - I'm sure that the season has been a crushing disappointment to him and he possibly hasn't handled it as well as he might have - who knows what went on?  We all make mistakes when we are young but fortunately, they do not receive as much publicity as his have. He is a local lad and I really hope that he makes it - and I would love it to be here.

With Farke gone and Webber possibly "on the brink" going there might still be a chance for him here. Here's hoping 🤞

Wasn’t it Michael Bailey who said in his article that Smith and Shakey had tried every trick in the book with Cantwell and none worked?

Presumably Smith sanctioned Cantwells departure in January. I don’t imagine he’s in his plans.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

I've been critical of him in the past but I'm now of the opinion that he may actually be mentally ill. If that is the case I think everyone should probably leave him alone. 

16 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Wasn’t it Michael Bailey who said in his article that Smith and Shakey had tried every trick in the book with Cantwell and nine worked?

Presumably Smith sanctioned Cantwells departure in January. I don’t imagine he’s in his plans.

Yep, exactly this. Which is why I think he won’t be returning to the starting 11 

14 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Wasn’t it Michael Bailey who said in his article that Smith and Shakey had tried every trick in the book with Cantwell and nine worked?

Nothing to do with Social Media even though that is unprofessional and does not help or his blonde hair 

it is 3 managers this season 

, Farke who i imagine thought a lot of todd as he had shared success with him 

Shakey and smith both been around the block met a lot of players with all types of personalities 

then Parker a England International midfield in the past played for some good teams and signed Todd 

have all started him then dropped him and seems none want him

so it is not the fans it is professional experienced coaches / managers who can not get the best out of him 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've been critical of him in the past but I'm now of the opinion that he may actually be mentally ill. If that is the case I think everyone should probably leave him alone. 

IF that is the case i wish him all the best ! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Every single one of us is on the anxiety / depression / despair spectrum. Most of us are fortunate to be able to function well enough for no one to notice any problem.

But put someone in the most public of public eyes, give them quite a fragile mentality and a cosseted development environment, apply subtle and at times excessive criticism, give them incredible highs followed by corresponding lows and an ego that sets a high bar, and I think we might all lose our way. So yes, he might be mentally ill if you want to call it that but I think it's a condition that could afflict most of us in other circumstances. 

• Like 2

I've said many times throughout this season that I would absolutely love Todd to come good whether that is here or somewhere else, but at the moment just can't see it happening. I'd hate for him to throw away his career after so much promise at the start, but sometimes players just don't live up to their potential, and Todd is definitely heading that way at the moment.

I hope he can turn it around with us as it will be like a free signing as far as Smith is concerned. With our squad so bereft of quality and creativity we can't really not give him another chance. Would love to hear his side of the story at some point, properly written not this cryptic sh1t he posts on social media.

18 hours ago, Petriix said:

All the nonsense about his attitude is purely guesswork.

I would love Cantwell to come back to his best at NCFC, but this sentence is simply not true. MB's article on Todd after he got the move is rather telling in places, as were Farke's comments about his (lack of) training in the build up to the loan away. Farke's lack of empathy for Todd and his personal issues were also a strong indicator for where he felt the blame should be - unless you believe that Farke is some kind of heartless tyrant...

I agree that the social media posts without context are not enough to judge him, but given everything else that has happened (i.e. the above from his management and respected journalists, the number of times he mysteriously disappeared from the team or picked up a strange injury, the fact the exact same trend has followed at Bournemouth etc etc) then it gives a pretty decent picture of a guy who just needs to feel a kick up his **** to get back on to the right path again. Sadly it looks like Dean Smith's boot wasn't enough to make that happen, nor Scott Parker's.... The fact Bournemouth have picked up on his social media posts after only a few months is also pretty hilarious.

I don't really know what other evidence is needed, the managers aren't exactly going to come out and call him a spanner in public are they?

If Webber is going to leave then it would be great to rebuild those bridges with Cantwell and give him (another) fresh start to get back to it!

21 hours ago, JB said:

I always believed the hype over him was over the top. He was an alright player, at best. I think people saw him through rose-tinted glasses due to the Norfolk and flowing blonde locks thing. Average Joe at the end of the day. Let him toddle off and play in the National League which is actually his genuine level. 

Yep. Of course it is. Are you off to your real job as coach of Real Madrid or will you stay on here spouting ****

He simply needs to get his head down and work hard, not expect to get games, but to fight to get games by training as hard as possible and forcing his way into the team that way.  I would not be against seeing him play for us again - but only if he is fully focussed - and I don't think our manager or the fans would put up with anything less.  In reality, probably best for him to move elsewhere to kickstart his career.

20 hours ago, Matt Juler said:

Goes a long way to validate how Cantwell was handled by Farke, at the time I questioned it as a clash of personalities. But now this is the 3rd manager in a year that hasn't been able to get him ticking. 

Obviously, he views himself much differently than the rest of us.  Profound lack of character

Edited by CowboyCanary

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

Every single one of us is on the anxiety / depression / despair spectrum. Most of us are fortunate to be able to function well enough for no one to notice any problem.

But put someone in the most public of public eyes, give them quite a fragile mentality and a cosseted development environment, apply subtle and at times excessive criticism, give them incredible highs followed by corresponding lows and an ego that sets a high bar, and I think we might all lose our way. So yes, he might be mentally ill if you want to call it that but I think it's a condition that could afflict most of us in other circumstances. 

I didn't really want to call it mental illness but I couldn't find any other words. But you've expressed very eloquently what I was thinking. The flaw in the theory is that football is an incredibly ruthless environment and most youngsters that can't cope fall by the wayside long before TC's age. Having said that, he is an extremely gifted individual and that may have got him through. 

I get the impression that he was badly advised by his agent which will probably have annoyed Webber and he's had something to deal with in his personal life that perhaps came at the wrong time. Some of us are better at dealing with these things than others. The ones that do cope possibly do so because they're not particularly pleasant individuals. 

It would be lovely to eventually get back the TC that we should know is in there. I've seen lots of comments questioning his ability and they leave me baffled. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 02/05/2022 at 18:11, Indy said:

bring in a decent guy and renegotiate a new contract with Cantwell, he’s got it in him and a firing Cantwell is a big asset at this level!

Why on earth would we give a new contract to a player who has seriously struggled to impress in the Championship this season?

I'm not even sure we should have triggered his 1 year option when it was clear he wasn't impressing at Bournemouth.

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Unfortunately some players just don't have the mental fortitude to make it in professional football.

Michael Johnson quit football at 24 and became an Estate Agent. 

If there's any possibility that Cantwell might feel that he needs to quit the game then he should probably stop spending tens of thousands on designer clothing, buying Lambo's or taking his mates on private jets to the continent though, because he'd be much better off keeping his money to start a business or funding education.

I can't imagine he'd cope very well with working in McDonald's or Wetherspoons and getting laughed at by the paying public for once playing Premier League football either.

Cantwell should talk to Johnson.

I’d just like to consider that we are potentially also missing a possibility that his social media posts are NOT actually cryptic?! Maybe he just isn’t very literate. 

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Yep. Of course it is. Are you off to your real job as coach of Real Madrid or will you stay on here spouting ****

Let's see where he ends up in a couple of years then 😗

• Like 1

Working in Poundland that’s all he’s worth. **** of the first order

6 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Tbf if he did work for Real Madrid then he’d probably know nothing about Cantwell as there’s no way they’d know who he is. 

• Haha 1

Todd Cantwell - the next David Bentley? In so far as he's undoubtedly talented but lacks the drive to fulfil his potential.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

If they aren't keeping him, can't imagine him playing any more games for Bournemouth. Why would they when they can field youngsters and enjoy it now

13 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Todd Cantwell - the next David Bentley? In so far as he's undoubtedly talented but lacks the drive to fulfil his potential.

i was Thinking exactly the same just because you are a Pro footballer might not mean you like it just means you are very good at it 

also i forget i think it was Ian Henderson ? i read in Holts book ? used to cry at half time as he thought the fans hated him ,

you never know what goes on in peoples lives how nervous or anxious they get before a match 

i can quite believe some players just can not deal with playing

not saying this is Cantwell but it could be the case the pressure is just to much 

35 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i was Thinking exactly the same just because you are a Pro footballer might not mean you like it just means you are very good at it 

also i forget i think it was Ian Henderson ? i read in Holts book ? used to cry at half time as he thought the fans hated him ,

you never know what goes on in peoples lives how nervous or anxious they get before a match 

i can quite believe some players just can not deal with playing

not saying this is Cantwell but it could be the case the pressure is just to much 

Life is full of people who had high expectations and then had to adjust their expectations through circumstance/mental health and numerous other factors, sometimes those factors combined.  He plainly wants to get to the top as he has said on several occasions - and he still could - but if things that happen make that too difficult it, is no disgrace to lower those expectations or adjust them. 

My concern has always been that he hasn't quite got the right temperament to be a top player - he might have, but he has to find that out for himself.  His options are to stick with it and find his niche in a team at a lower level, with the opportunity to progress over a few years to the top level, or if he decides he doesn't want to be at a lower level and loses interest, move into some other career. 

The biggest problem for some young players who get praise heaped on them early on, is that they believe that hype when really they should be trying to keep their feet on the ground. I strongly believe that was what Farke was trying to do with him - to get him grounded and focussed - and it was rebuffed by TC.  People like Klopp and probably his agent and maybe friends/hangers on don't help, with building him up too much - and him believeing it all. 

I wish him well in whatever direction his career takes, it will take a lot of balls to make it at Carrow Road after what has gone on - but if he does, credit to him, but I think he would be better at a lower league club and try and establish himself elsewhere, probably at championship level, or maybe even league 1.

Edited by lake district canary

He has just tweeted something about Bournmouths promotion and how its been tough on and off the pitch for him this season.