Sign in to follow this  
SwearyCanary

Deafening Silence

So, not the best day to start this debate based on our second half BUT I’ve been feeling this for a good while. I think the support from areas of the ground that are supposed to be the die hards has been woeful this season. 
I’m in the South Stand, I’ll join in a chant and I’ll have a good shout but I’m not in it for the singing. However, I used to feel the reputation of the Barclay and the snake pit was that it was the atmosphere generators and have a responsibility to lead the charge. They get shouted down by EVERY away support that comes to Carrow Road and have no staying power in the fight for noise supremacy. In most areas of the ground it’s normal for the crowd to be led by the players and good moments on the pitch, but I see these areas as having the responsibility to be what gives the players that incentive. It’s who the players should be sprinting to when they score to get the adulation. 
Case in point. Today for around 25-30 mins in the first half we were the better side. KD missed a couple of very good chances but there were delicious through balls from Normann, PLM was playing well and throughout this spell the snake pit and lower Barclay were no more encouraging than the GW stand. 
The range of chants we have is just utterly s*** too and it feels like there’s no organised group orchestrating the atmosphere. 
Equally the dissatisfaction of fans should be presented by them as they are the stadium barometer and spokespeople. Not even that is really coming through. They should be looking at the away fans today and learning from them, at least while the game isn’t lost. 
I’ve had some of the best times through atmosphere (under Farke) and obviously success helped that. But it seems that we really are a club that only sing when we’re  winning. 

It’s been a stinker of a season for sure. But I’d feel so much more able to criticise the players and leadership if we were making sure we were doin our job properly. 

That’s me anyway 

Sweary 

• Like 2

Too many old people in the crowd who just complain quietly, going to the football out of habit because there’s sod all else to do in the City. We have an older fanbase compared to pretty much every other club I’ve ever been, and it shows. It’s also one of the core reasons why the ownership/board get such an easy ride when things on the pitch are dire, at somewhere like Leeds the owners would have been hounded out years ago.

• Like 6

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Too many old people in the crowd who just complain quietly, going to the football out of habit because there’s sod all else to do in the City. We have an older fanbase compared to pretty much every other club I’ve ever been, and it shows. It’s also one of the core reasons why the ownership/board get such an easy ride when things on the pitch are dire, at somewhere like Leeds the owners would have been hounded out years ago.

Correct - as per your other post! You only have to look at TV footage of the crowd at most other PL / Championship clubs to see the disparity. Women, older fans and young children make up a disproportionately large section of our fanbase and these type of fans generally speaking tend to not be anywhere near as vocal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

This, it's noticeable more when you rewatch the highlights on TV with the cameras being in the main, opposite the City Stand and its average age of 138.

6 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’ve had some of the best times through atmosphere (under Farke) and obviously success helped that. But it seems that we really are a club that only sing when we’re  winning. 

There's no buzz walking up to the ground either, all just feels quite numb.  We have no talisman that links to the fans, Pukki's a legend - but he's not the same character as a Holt or any number that we've had in the team previously.

Just feels a massive disconnect to me. We missed last season on the whole, and many players who were loved either left or went on loan and I don't think we've got that heart back.

Championship will be a rebuild of that connection, I'm sure.

• Like 2

I hope you’re right. We need the end of the season to have a bit of a break from the disappointment and let some seeds of optimism come back 

11 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I agree to an extent but don’t think this excuses the poor efforts of our supposedly most vocal. Our away support is good, so why are they not as good when they sit in CR 

2 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Jesus Christ get a grip. I never understand this type of fan opinion or reaction and feel like people who make these comments spend the season with their heads up their **** blaming owners and old people. Pi$$ off sell your soul and support blood money clubs like Citeh and Newcastle then.

The only thing worth applauding today was the return of Jacob Murphy.
The best chant was a Timmy Krul chant (which i quickly realised was a Newcastle led chant!)
And the exodus from the Snake Pit and the Barcley by the 75th minute would have made Moses proud.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Correct - as per your other post! You only have to look at TV footage of the crowd at most other PL / Championship clubs to see the disparity. Women, older fans and young children make up a disproportionately large section of our fanbase and these type of fans generally speaking tend to not be anywhere near as vocal. 

Would prefer this crowd to stone island twunts and lads lads lads. Family club and i am proud as hell of that. 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

I agree to an extent but don’t think this excuses the poor efforts of our supposedly most vocal. Our away support is good, so why are they not as good when they sit in CR 

The atmosphere has been pretty poor all season, and I’ve been to a few away games where it wasn’t much different.  We also seem to have ‘lost’ a load of chants (‘you are my Norwich’, ‘follow follow follow’, ‘we love you Norwich’, ‘come on you Yellows’ etc….I can’t even recall the last time there was an anti Binner chant!); the only one seems to be an occasional OTBC….it seems very odd, pre Covid it seemed very different.  Maybe we’ll get our mojo back when we are back in the championship.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The atmosphere has been pretty poor all season, and I’ve been to a few away games where it wasn’t much different.  We also seem to have ‘lost’ a load of chants (‘you are my Norwich’, ‘follow follow follow’, ‘we love you Norwich’, ‘come on you Yellows’ etc….I can’t even recall the last time there was an anti Binner chant!); the only one seems to be an occasional OTBC….it seems very odd, pre Covid it seemed very different.  Maybe we’ll get our mojo back when we are back in the championship.

That’s the saddest thing I’ve ever read in football! Getting your mojo back by getting relegated! Surely promotion should be the catalyst to any set of fans to generate maximum noise! Sums up modern state of football in the premiership!

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

That’s the saddest thing I’ve ever read in football! Getting your mojo back by getting relegated! Surely promotion should be the catalyst to any set of fans to generate maximum noise! Sums up modern state of football in the premiership!

I was merely suggesting that we might start winning and get a ‘feel good’ thing going again.  Whether the Covid break has anything to do with it, I don’t know, but I certainly don’t think I can carry the blame for the ropey atmosphere!

Edited by Branston Pickle

The enthusiasm has evaporated because of too many no shows on the pitch in this league. 
We aren’t taken seriously by any other fan or pundits because we’re shockingly embarrassing at this level. The truth hurts but they are all correct. 

It's them old beggars that are the problem. The older they get the worse they get. @ricardo at 137 is clearly the worst. They need to  join in with youngsters like me or make way for some of the posters on here that never go.

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I was merely suggesting that we might start winning and get a ‘feel good’ thing going again.  I certainly don’t think I can carry the blame for the ropey atmosphere!

Wasn’t blaming you! Just making a point that it’s sad to feel that way!

Just now, nutty nigel said:

It's them old beggars that are the problem. The older they get the worse they get. @ricardo at 137 is clearly the worst. They need to  join in with youngsters like me or make way for some of the posters on here that never go.

Indeed I believe he left before the final whistle today! Poor show! 😂👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Everyone is just disillusioned. What is the point of doing well under this regime?

So that people like you can moan constantly when it doesn't go well?

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Did they hound out their owners before or after their 16 consecutive years in the Championship? 

• Like 2

It amuses me that a number of people are keen to big up rivals such as Leeds for instance and salivate over their machismo;  “they would hound out the current owners” etc seems to me that this really is a ‘little old Norwich’ mentality. As a fan of 50 years or so I’ve always detected an strain of inferiority amongst our fan base. To some extent I can understand this, but do get a grip. We are not a large industrial northern conurbation, and our fans reflect the type of city and county we are. Leeds fans don’t get picked on as they leave Molineaux for obvious reasons. 

3 minutes ago, corbs said:

It amuses me that a number of people are keen to big up rivals such as Leeds for instance and salivate over their machismo;  “they would hound out the current owners” etc seems to me that this really is a ‘little old Norwich’ mentality. As a fan of 50 years or so I’ve always detected an strain of inferiority amongst our fan base. To some extent I can understand this, but do get a grip. We are not a large industrial northern conurbation, and our fans reflect the type of city and county we are. Leeds fans don’t get picked on as they leave Molineaux for obvious reasons. 

Haha yeah mate. The amazing thing is Norwich is the only “big” club in the region for miles, probably Leicester. And yet… don’t cultivate and manipulate this rare attribute. But it’s okay, we can be mediocre ad finitum because we are geographically where we are 

10 minutes ago, corbs said:

Yet the “problem” remains that you can’t hound out the majority shareholders. All the banners and calling people a **** in the world changes nothing. Fair play to the handful that actually are motivated to scream obscenities, there are plenty enough that choose to just **** and whine here and elsewhere without lifting a finger.

Barking “Delia Out” isn’t effective though. If there is a swell to see her and Michael gone, then they need to find a way to raise the finance, buy them out and continually commit to financing the club beyond its earning capability. That’s the only way to seriously implement change - if change is to mean being a sustained and unrelegatable Premier League club. She/they can’t just resign or give it away because said action would impact all other shareholders. It has to be smarter than that. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

4 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Women, older fans and young children make up a disproportionately large section of our fanbase and these type of fans generally speaking tend to not be anywhere near as vocal. 

Hang on, we all started supporting the club as kids. We will all grow old - even you. And on every third Sunday of the month, some of us are women.

Anyone who sits in the ground and isn't currently loudly calling for the owners to sell up are not Norwich City fans. They're just there for a nice day out and couldn't care less about the result.

Prawn sandwich brigade.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

I think you get the crowd the owners deserve.. Carrow Road use to be an intimidating place to play football, now its full of people accepting 2nd best. Top26 .. 

I watched the game yesterday and also the build up. I thought to myself at that point that the crowd was very quiet, a sort of acceptance that all was lost feeling. Now whether that fed through to te players or not I don't know. I am disturbed though that we haven't heard anything from our owners or board. I have a feeling that we will hear something in the next few days. If Webber is to stay he has to come out and explain things to te fans to try and appease us to a degree. Off the pitch he has worked miracles but something has to be done to transfer that good work onto the turf

To be fair that was quietest I've been this season. A half-hearted OTBC and Dirty Saudi Money and that was it.

The players gave us nothing and were just going through the motions 2nd half after the Krul shocker. I couldn't wait for the final whistle.

Fans voted with their silence and their feet.

Changes from top down required.

5 hours ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Anyone who sits in the ground and isn't currently loudly calling for the owners to sell up are not Norwich City fans. They're just there for a nice day out and couldn't care less about the result.

Prawn sandwich brigade.

Apparently you’ve got to find the finance too for present and future business. Not been a criteria at other clubs in the past but is at Norwich City. 

Ultimately the majority shareholders, both in their 80s will naturally ,one way or another leave the club in the coming few years.

It then comes down to whether the fans have the appetite to then call for the nephew to sell up.

Those that cant quite bring themselves to with Delia, might just do with a more faceless regime