Sign in to follow this  
SwearyCanary

Deafening Silence

No matter how loud you sing when you’re sitting on your settee, it never seems to get through.

Always love the professed non singers complaining about the lack of singing.

Edited by Van wink

Just now, Van wink said:

Edited by Van wink
So good I posted twice

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

No matter how loud you sing when you’re sitting on your settee, it never seems to get through.

I’m there every home game. Not on my sofa and I was politely saying the most vociferous fans so we have are utter tripe. I’m not a vociferous fan, I occasionally bring my 3 year old to games and don’t want her to hear the occasional aggression BUT I do accept and want there to be passion and expect to hear it. Just because I’m not in a position to start it personally it doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s necessary. What I’m saying is that the current seasons crop in the Barclay and snake out may as well sit in the family end. 
Where’s the organised chanting? Where’s the rousing OTBC or heaven forbid something more original at times? All the moaning on here and kind of it in the ground. 
All it takes it’s someone with a little group online to say. “Today we will use these chants when this happens” or “on the 22nd minute we will chant something about not being good enough as that’s our goals scored tally”. This will get to the media locally at least. Now I’m not saying I want protests and sarcasm and would rather the positive encouraging chants, but at the moment just something will do. Got sick of hearing the away fans just constant chanting this season and no response other than a few middle aged chubbsters in the lower Barclay giving it the w***er signs now and then. Our ultras are the first to moan at the older fans or the ‘happy clappers’ but they don’t do anything to improve matters. Such hypocrites 

Interesting how many who clearly weren't at the game yesterday still deciding they should criticise those that were...

Anyway, I do think the atmosphere has been poor this season. 

A big reason for this in my book is fans not being able to be there for the championship title season. Those successful seasons tend to create new songs and more of a bond between fans and players. Without that,  and then proceeding to lose week in week out, I think this is the atmosphere you get.

• Like 2

Hardly surprising people are feeling a bit down, or unenthusiastic.  I'm all for calling out fans as a whole if it seems they appear to not being supportive enough, or not trying,  but the context of this season is difficult.  Even yesterday could have been a different story if one or two of our clear cut chances had gone in - fans need a spark from the players as much as players need a spark from the fans.

It's been hard - spending nearly the whole of last season without being able to go to most matches, unable to celebrate together - and then seeing this season and the scandalous fixture list (supposedly random, but not so imo) injuries and a struggle from day one.

I remember the awfulness of being relegated to League 1 - but I also remember the incredible positivity going into that following League 1 season - fans were well up for it, despite the relegation. (We soon had that bubble burst, of course, but only temporarily).  So next season will be the same as that - positivity and enthusiasm will be back and if Smith can hit the ground running, I would expect CR to be a much better place for atmosphere.

• Like 1

It took us until the end of Noember to win our first PL game at home so the tone for this dreaful season had been set which naturally took it's toll on the atmosphere generated at Carrow Road. The departure of Farke sat uncomfortably with a section of our fanbase and the appointment of Smith hardly sparked excitement for others. Thrashings on the road at Chelsea and Man City and the humiliation at home inflicted by Arsenal all helped sow the seeds of how the season was to pan out. The overall result of this has resulted in a flat atmosphere.

We have stumbled through this season from start to finish and subconsciously enthusiasm for what was being witnessed in sight and mind died away.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Van wink said:

At the Brentford game a big mouth behind me never stopped shouting, mainly abuse at our own players. At half time he said to his mate “and, our support has been crap too’. I totally sympathise with the original post on here, but over the years I’ve had to accept that our predominantly Norfolk fan base is not as boisterous as those from the traditional old industrial working class conurbations.

Ken Brown used to plead for more vocal support and at one time I even remember the tannoys pumping out crowd noise. 
I’ve always wanted more vocal support, what many on here derogatory call ‘happy clappers’. My own preference is for support and loyalty during the game, it helps the team and annoys the oppos; and afterwards down the pub moan as much as you like. That’s just my take. Just because i don’t scream abuse at the current custodians of our club, it doesn’t mean I’m not for a strategy of bringing in further investment. As for people enjoying a day out what’s wrong with that, I wouldn’t expect everyone to be so intense as myself. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’m there every home game. Not on my sofa and I was politely saying the most vociferous fans so we have are utter tripe. I’m not a vociferous fan, I occasionally bring my 3 year old to games and don’t want her to hear the occasional aggression BUT I do accept and want there to be passion and expect to hear it. Just because I’m not in a position to start it personally it doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s necessary. What I’m saying is that the current seasons crop in the Barclay and snake out may as well sit in the family end. 
Where’s the organised chanting? Where’s the rousing OTBC or heaven forbid something more original at times? All the moaning on here and kind of it in the ground. 
All it takes it’s someone with a little group online to say. “Today we will use these chants when this happens” or “on the 22nd minute we will chant something about not being good enough as that’s our goals scored tally”. This will get to the media locally at least. Now I’m not saying I want protests and sarcasm and would rather the positive encouraging chants, but at the moment just something will do. Got sick of hearing the away fans just constant chanting this season and no response other than a few middle aged chubbsters in the lower Barclay giving it the w***er signs now and then. Our ultras are the first to moan at the older fans or the ‘happy clappers’ but they don’t do anything to improve matters. Such hypocrites 

I expect to see you standing on a soap box and rousing the crowd at the next game, no reason why all the singing ( that there is ) should come from one end. Do your bit and support the team!!

Edited by Van wink

11 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Correct - as per your other post! You only have to look at TV footage of the crowd at most other PL / Championship clubs to see the disparity. Women, older fans and young children make up a disproportionately large section of our fanbase and these type of fans generally speaking tend to not be anywhere near as vocal. 

You do realise women and children are allowed to be there don’t you ?

As for older supporters, they were young once and when they weren’t happy with the chairman ( his name was Chase) they did something about it. I know I sometimes take the pee about St Andrews hall but Til and others actually organised something that other supporters joined in with. Now it’s your turn and all you want to do is whinge on the Internet.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

You do realise women and children are allowed to be there don’t you ?

As for older supporters, they were young once and when they weren’t happy with the chairman ( his name was Chase) they did something about it. I know I sometimes take the pee about St Andrews hall but Til and others actually organised something that other supporters joined in with. Now it’s your turn and all you want to do is whinge on the Internet.

That's not what I said is it? You only have to wander round many other grounds to see the evidence of that or look at TV footage. I have nothing against the elements of the fanbase I've mentioned but when it's heavily slanted in that direction the result tends (not always) to be a more passive atmosphere. Far from 'whinging' on the internet as you tactfully put it, I've been involved in more than one 'protest' movement. I tried to get travelling fans at Hull back in 2005/2006 to join in the Worthy Out movement but (predictably) most were far too timid to bother. Mind you they had changed their tune a few months later when it became 'fashionable'! I stood up at a fans forum in Diss at that time also and suggested to the owners that Worthy was past his sell by date only to be glared at with total disdain and disgust by The Cook. As for Chase, a fans petition / protest was organised for a Thursday evening just before Christmas after O'Neill walked out. The meeting time was 18.00 outside City Hall. I was the very first person there. I've done and will continue to do my bit. Just annoying that others 'whinge' as you put it yet run a million miles away from any action.     

12 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

somewhere like Leeds the owners would have been hounded out years ago.

🤔 Possibly - but you do realise that Leeds have pent 16 of the last 18 years outside the premier League outside the Premier League which for a club of their size is quite staggering. 

You seem to have made a very good case for not hounding out club owners! Point well made! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Van wink said:

I expect to see you standing on a soap box and rousing the crowd at the next game, no reason why all the singing ( that there is ) should come from one end. Do your bit and support the team!!

I’ll tell you what, I’ll hum a little chant loud enough for the person next to me to hear. That’ll be enough to outdo the current levels from the ultras. 
I have told you, I join chants, I even try and start the odd one to no success, I’m actually surprised you can’t hear me but then the away fans are in the way making you look anonymous. 
better yet, rather than being a keyboard warrior how about you show me that I’m wrong by generating some atmosphere next home game vs West Ham? If the support is good and the Barclay and snake pit make the effort I will pledge here and now to publicly apologise on the forum to you. 
If the match is 90% away fans making the ground tick then you acknowledge these areas of the ground are no different to the happy clappers in the GW? 
Take me up on it? 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

I’ll tell you what, I’ll hum a little chant loud enough for the person next to me to hear. That’ll be enough to outdo the current levels from the ultras. 
I have told you, I join chants, I even try and start the odd one to no success, I’m actually surprised you can’t hear me but then the away fans are in the way making you look anonymous. 
better yet, rather than being a keyboard warrior how about you show me that I’m wrong by generating some atmosphere next home game vs West Ham? If the support is good and the Barclay and snake pit make the effort I will pledge here and now to publicly apologise on the forum to you. 
If the match is 90% away fans making the ground tick then you acknowledge these areas of the ground are no different to the happy clappers in the GW? 
Take me up on it? 

I’m not an apologist for any area of the stadium, I just dislike the hypocrisy of someone who “isn’t in it for the singing”  seeking to call out other fans on a public forum for not generating an atmosphere. 

53 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I’m not an apologist for any area of the stadium, I just dislike the hypocrisy of someone who “isn’t in it for the singing”  seeking to call out other fans on a public forum for not generating an atmosphere. 

So you don’t agree that certain areas of CR are associated with the origin of chants? It’s not any different to any ground in the country. It’s no different to me saying the IT technicians should be making sure they’re updating the software in my organisation even though I only use the software. I shouldn’t be expected to go to the IT dept and do it myself should I? 
I get that those fans are paying customers just like me, but I also know that there is a large degree of being in these areas and feeling the rest of the fans are not on their level of passion and support. If they think that then there’s not much evidence to prove it. 

20 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Hang on, we all started supporting the club as kids. We will all grow old - even you. And on every third Sunday of the month, some of us are women.

Correct me if I am wrong but the match was played Saturday. I raise this point because upon watching the TV replay, and seeing frequent shots of the Newcastle fans, they had hardly any women supporters. Mind you they are from up North.

On 23/04/2022 at 22:05, Nexus_Canary said:

Would prefer this crowd to stone island twunts and lads lads lads. Family club and i am proud as hell of that. 

Totally described 90% of our away support 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 2

On 24/04/2022 at 09:47, FenwayFrank said:

I know I sometimes take the pee about St Andrews hall but Til and others actually organised something that other supporters joined in with.

So, they should follow non-chanting supporters home to their houses yelling "Out! Out! Out!" up the driveway?! 

On 24/04/2022 at 09:30, TIL 1010 said:

It took us until the end of Noember to win our first PL game at home so the tone for this dreaful season had been set which naturally took it's toll on the atmosphere generated at Carrow Road. The departure of Farke sat uncomfortably with a section of our fanbase and the appointment of Smith hardly sparked excitement for others. Thrashings on the road at Chelsea and Man City and the humiliation at home inflicted by Arsenal all helped sow the seeds of how the season was to pan out. The overall result of this has resulted in a flat atmosphere.

We have stumbled through this season from start to finish and subconsciously enthusiasm for what was being witnessed in sight and mind died away.

Probably the most sensible post on here! (bloody hell....it's Tilly!!!) 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Probably the most sensible post on here! (bloody hell....it's Tilly!!!) 😂

Agree, gives fair justification for the low ebb that the fans feel. A battering by a team that were not so long ago the only team worse than us also maybe a bit of a stark reminder. 
Oh well, two games to go to give some closure and here’s to reliving the 18/19 season. Best I’ve ever witnessed as a ST holder. Maybe with some momentum and a preseason under his belt Smith will show a bit more charisma 

13 hours ago, vos said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the match was played Saturday. I raise this point because upon watching the TV replay, and seeing frequent shots of the Newcastle fans, they had hardly any women supporters. Mind you they are from up North.

I think many women Geordies were put off by the requirement to go topless.

• Haha 1