Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Pukki- How much should we pay to get him to stay?

That twit on Sky came up with an old favourite. "Pukki's not the quickest but" 

Absolute nonsense. At the Euros he was timed as the fifth fastest player. 

He looked back to his best against Burnley. It would be daft to let him go. 

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

That twit on Sky came up with an old favourite. "Pukki's not the quickest but" 

Absolute nonsense. At the Euros he was timed as the fifth fastest player. 

He looked back to his best against Burnley. It would be daft to let him go. 

He's fast where it matters most. In his head.

I really really hope he ends his playing days with us and we're able to give him the send off he deserves.

He looked back to his best yesterday and showed he's going to be a real handful in the Championship. Just seen a re-run of his goal, incredibly good finish from a pass that Normann slighty overhits, requiring expert control.

12 hours ago, Ian said:

Perhaps they would think "If I become as valuable to this club and achieve as much as Teemu, I can earn a decent wedge too."

oh i do not disagree you have to earn it and pukki has but the Krul and Hanley & Gibson  might say they have to of course i do not know their contracts etc so i might be totally wrong 

12 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

We will have Pukki and Rashica  next season.

Although Rashica will almost certainly try and get a move, his form has fallen away noticeably in last few matches and I thought he was poor again yesterday. If he does stay and 'tear up the Championship' we need to see much more from him in terms of goals and assists. His attempts to score v Brentford and Brighton were rank and that standard gives me some doubt on how he might perform next season if he remains here. If you miss sitters, you miss sitters.    

5 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Although Rashica will almost certainly try and get a move, his form has fallen away noticeably in last few matches and I thought he was poor again yesterday. If he does stay and 'tear up the Championship' we need to see much more from him in terms of goals and assists. His attempts to score v Brentford and Brighton were rank and that standard gives me some doubt on how he might perform next season if he remains here. If you miss sitters, you miss sitters.    

If Rashica was to move on he'll only go for decent money, which is one thing we've seen Webber do well. We have no idea of players loyalty, but as they say, "the fat lady hasn't started singing yet", and somehow we're still in with a chance to stay up. 

A 3 year contract at £50k a week might persuade him to stay. Idah is clearly his successor, with others in the 23s as possibles. We are not going to spend £20m on a goalscorer. I'd rather spend it on Skipp.

As for next season, I don't see a squad containing Krul, Byram, Gibson, Hanley, PLM, Dowell, Rashica, Idah, Rowe, Hugill and Pukki struggling in the Championship. I still think Martin and McCallum can do a job in that division too. A couple of sensible additions from the proceeds of Aarons, Giannoulis and Cantwell and we have a strong squad.

Rashica is a confidence player. A season in the Champs might do him the world of good.

Pukki is far from finished. He'll score 20 plus goals again next season, with Dowel and another behind him. 

I'll be gutted if we lose him. I could see him at Brentford actually, would absolutely excel in front of Eriksen, who they hope to keep on a three year deal. 

20 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

He can have both my sisters as well. Bit past their best but they can do the housework, wash his car etc.

Whether he wants them or not is another thing.

OTBC

Damn decent of you 

4 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Pukki is far from finished. He'll score 20 plus goals again next season, with Dowel and another behind him. 

I'll be gutted if we lose him. I could see him at Brentford actually, would absolutely excel in front of Eriksen, who they hope to keep on a three year deal. 

Most strikers would enjoy playing in front of Eriksen!

I really couldn’t see Pukki joining Brentford for several reasons, none of which deny that he’s a good striker who’d score another 10+ goals if he did and started every game. 

He’s not in our profile of players bought in- at 32 he’s probably fine for one PL season but risky beyond that. On a free or for maybe £5m as a back up while a young player is brought on, perhaps, but only if Toney is sold because from all round play and influence I can’t see him starting ahead of Toney even if he might possibly be ahead of him in non penalty finishing (I think that’s doubtful too- for me the thing he’s better at is control while running with the ball at feet). 

Even then, I think the time we’d have gone for him is 18-19 when you got him. With our deep knowledge of Danish football our DoFs would have seen him play a lot. Thomas Frank actually managed him at Brondby for two seasons and was Smith’s assistant at the time he moved. That we didn’t tells the story. Maybe he wanted more in wages than we would then pay if the £50k a week reported on here is just the continuation of his current terms. We did fine investing in Maupay instead even without getting promoted. 

As with Buendia before, personally I think you should sell if you go down and invest in bringing on Rowe and Idah, giving Sargent a chance in an easier league to show he actually can play, buying in someone new to develop, maybe even giving Hugill a run out. Keeping Pukki gives you 20+ goals and maybe a more comfortable promotion but leaves you back to square one in the PL except with an even older Pukki and underexperienced support or another gamble on buying the right man to hit the PL running. All while spending £50k+ a week of wages when money is limited - I say + because I’d expect you to offer a new contract rather than just have him for a year more and go on a free. If you’re lucky Luton or Huddersfield will win the play offs and they probably would pay £10m+ now as they (Luton in particular) will struggle to find anyone nearly as strong within their budget and attractiveness. 

Whether you keep him or not you might want to consider loaning/buying Marcus Forss off us, one of his Finnish national team strike partners. 

6 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

If Rashica was to move on he'll only go for decent money, which is one thing we've seen Webber do well. We have no idea of players loyalty, but as they say, "the fat lady hasn't started singing yet", and somehow we're still in with a chance to stay up. 

Or I can see him going on loan with an option 

1 hour ago, aBee said:

I really couldn’t see Pukki joining Brentford for several reasons, none of which deny that he’s a good striker who’d score another 10+ goals if he did and started every game. 

He’s not in our profile of players bought in- at 32 he’s probably fine for one PL season but risky beyond that. On a free or for maybe £5m as a back up while a young player is brought on, perhaps, but only if Toney is sold because from all round play and influence I can’t see him starting ahead of Toney even if he might possibly be ahead of him in non penalty finishing (I think that’s doubtful too- for me the thing he’s better at is control while running with the ball at feet). 

Even then, I think the time we’d have gone for him is 18-19 when you got him. With our deep knowledge of Danish football our DoFs would have seen him play a lot. Thomas Frank actually managed him at Brondby for two seasons and was Smith’s assistant at the time he moved. That we didn’t tells the story. Maybe he wanted more in wages than we would then pay if the £50k a week reported on here is just the continuation of his current terms. We did fine investing in Maupay instead even without getting promoted. 

As with Buendia before, personally I think you should sell if you go down and invest in bringing on Rowe and Idah, giving Sargent a chance in an easier league to show he actually can play, buying in someone new to develop, maybe even giving Hugill a run out. Keeping Pukki gives you 20+ goals and maybe a more comfortable promotion but leaves you back to square one in the PL except with an even older Pukki and underexperienced support or another gamble on buying the right man to hit the PL running. All while spending £50k+ a week of wages when money is limited - I say + because I’d expect you to offer a new contract rather than just have him for a year more and go on a free. If you’re lucky Luton or Huddersfield will win the play offs and they probably would pay £10m+ now as they (Luton in particular) will struggle to find anyone nearly as strong within their budget and attractiveness. 

Whether you keep him or not you might want to consider loaning/buying Marcus Forss off us, one of his Finnish national team strike partners. 

Would you sell Forss to us do you think? He looks like a decent prospect, one that you'd want to keep. 

1 minute ago, CrankyCanary said:

Would you sell Forss to us do you think? He looks like a decent prospect, one that you'd want to keep. 

Hard to say. He was given a long contract last year so must be rated. He’s not looked great in the PL but before his loan at Hull in January the only long run of starts he’s had were on loan in L1 at Wimbledon. So I think he needs a full season starting regularly in the Championship (I was surprised to see just now he made 50 appearances in league and cups last season, scoring 10, almost all of the league games will have been less than half an hour off the bench). Hull local press reported they have an option to buy, which seemed implausible given how long his contract is.

But it might be that he’s thought too far off PL starts (given the team’s progression) to be guarding so jealously and a solid deal with a sell on might work.  Had we not gone up I can see the club having sold Toney and promoted him, but doing that now would be perhaps too bold even for us. 

He won’t be cheap but also probably not near the £20m+ Championship clubs are now touting players like Keane Lewis-Potter at. 

21 hours ago, aBee said:

Yeah I get that, and your probably right.

Pontus Jansen, although a couple of years younger at the time, was signed for good money and represented a slight deviation to the model. 

I think Pukki at £7-8 million represents good value for Brentford, if only for a season. I'd bet he'd score more than Toney with Eriksen behind him. I take your point most strikers would enjoy that position, but Pukki's game is everything about clever, incisive, through balls. Both on the ground or over the top. On top of that, you stop a fellow rival strengthening! I think the Frank connection does make it appealing to both parties. 

Pukki will have definitely interested Brentford when at Bronby, as you say. Maybe one of very few mistakes by Brentford's recruitment team not to sign him. I don't think he was on more than 25-30k a week when he arrived - certainly not 50k so would've been affordable. 

Pukki is still capable of scoring many more than 10 goals in the EPL. We've been dire, literally starving him of service all season. I'd say definitely one, maybe two seasons before he starts to tail off. He's a very fit player.  

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 2

So ask yourself, if he was on say £50k a week next season with us, would he regret not signing for a Brentford, Brighton Southampton or whoever is coming up, for a bit more just to stay in the EPL? Asking a lot to soldier on in the 2nd tier for a third time of asking....

4 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Yeah I get that, and your probably right.

Pontus Jansen, although a couple of years younger at the time, was signed for good money and represented a slight deviation to the model. 

I think Pukki at £7-8 million represents good value for Brentford, if only for a season. I'd bet he'd score more than Toney with Eriksen behind him. I take your point most strikers would enjoy that position, but Pukki's game is everything about clever, incisive, through balls. Both on the ground or over the top. On top of that, you stop a fellow rival strengthening! I think the Frank connection does make it appealing to both parties. 

Pukki will have definitely interested Brentford when at Bronby, as you say. Maybe one of very few mistakes by Brentford's recruitment team not to sign him. I don't think he was on more than 25-30k a week when he arrived - certainly not 50k so would've been affordable. 

Pukki is still capable of scoring many more than 10 goals in the EPL. We've been dire, literally starving him of service all season. I'd say definitely one, maybe two seasons before he starts to tail off. He's a very fit player.  

I don’t think we’d have been paying anyone anything near 25-30k a week in 2018-19 so even if he was considered at the time he’d have been well out of budget. We can compete with you on wages and the rest now but back then we were a midtable Championship team in a rather elderly stadium averaging 10k attendances. We opened the taps a bit in 19-20 and maybe Pontus got something in that region but that was after selling Maupay (iirc we offered to match Brighton’s wage deal of 30k to keep him and that would have made him top earner). 

On 11/04/2022 at 18:22, aBee said:

but only if Toney is sold because from all round play and influence I can’t see him starting ahead of Toney even if he might possibly be ahead of him in non penalty finishing (I think that’s doubtful too- for me the thing he’s better at is control while running with the ball at feet). 

Toney is obviously great at hold up play etc. I'd say that what Pukki is good at is general movement, timing of the run etc. Dont know many players who are much better than him at making a perfectly timed run in behind a backline. Other than that he is decent at everything except in the air. I'd say currently Pukki is stil in aggregate a little better striker. But with one of them 32 and the other 26 that could obviously be changing quickly.

As someone said Pukki could obviously be very useful for Brentford, especially running onto Eriksen throughballs. He can do well from the bench as well. But I dont see it happening. Pukki could be a useful player for a lot of teams. 

On 11/04/2022 at 13:53, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

There are somewhat credible sounding rumours that Celta Vigo have been in touch with his agent. I instinctively dont think he will play for any English club other than Norwich.

Pukki has 75 league goals, but also league cup goals to his name.  Another 30 goal return in the Championship will see Teemu as top scorer for City.  

On 11/04/2022 at 11:48, sgncfc said:

We are not going to spend £20m on a goalscorer. I'd rather spend it on Skipp.

As for next season, I don't see a squad containing Krul, Byram, Gibson, Hanley, PLM, Dowell, Rashica, Idah, Rowe, Hugill and Pukki struggling in the Championship. I still think Martin and McCallum can do a job in that division too. A couple of sensible additions from the proceeds of Aarons, Giannoulis and Cantwell and we have a strong squad.

Rashica is a confidence player. A season in the Champs might do him the world of good.

Had to pinch myself there.

Hugill is a dreadful player.

7 goals in his last 64 Championship games 

7 hours ago, pete said:

Pukki has 75 league goals, but also league cup goals to his name.  Another 30 goal return in the Championship will see Teemu as top scorer for City.  

No it wouldn't.

75 + 1 cup goal + 30 goals next season would still leave him well behind Johnny Gavin's 122.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

He's gonna get 20 in the remainder of the season.

I'd be hopeful of a new contract tbh. He's the type of striker that will be scoring goals well into his 30s.

Edited by KeiranShikari

Seriously give him what he wants to sign a new contract. He’s absolutely quality and would score far more if our players were more intelligent in finding him. We simply can’t afford to replace him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Seriously give him what he wants to sign a new contract. He’s absolutely quality and would score far more if our players were more intelligent in finding him. We simply can’t afford to replace him.

Completely right, we won’t get a better player for under £20m. I don’t see Pukki being a greedy player so let’s give him the contract he deserves 

Heading worrying rumours we are expecting Pukki to leave. Very much hope it’s not true. Idiotic if it is.