Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The super league is back!

Did you really think they would just give up? Well, I have.. on them. All the billionare clubs can **** off and make their own plastic prawn league full of fake fans, corrupt officals awful biased commenters and leave the rest of the footballig world forever and all us poor  'self sustaining' clubs can have our own league to be competitive in and win matches in. Who's with me?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

I've said all along it needs to happen for the sake of the game and the other 86 clubs in the English leagues.

• Like 3

I really hope they all sod off, wouldn't care if we never played them again. Let's be honest, football is pointless now, ultimately.

If they could take VAR with them, that'd be great.

• Like 9

The key point that needs to change this time is that they have to *leave* their current domestic league to join the Super League. Otherwise this would just ruin domestic competitions even more.

• Like 6

I too hope they go. Those that enjoy the whole corrupt football for TV sh1t show will still be able to watch it. What's not to like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

I've said all along it needs to happen for the sake of the game and the other 86 clubs in the English leagues.

The clubs still want to compete in their domestic leagues, the main point (for them) is garaunteed entry (and revenue) to the ESL every season, qualifying for the ESL would only be required by those outside the elite group.

I at first thought it might help the likes of us but I would guess the EPL will bend over backwards for them so that they can retain an interest in the CL etc by having strength in the EPL still. So they may have squads like NFL teams and still dominate our game.

Virtually impossible to predict how it might turn out, but on paper seems great. Let them all píss off to their European league and hopefully help to restore a bit of fairness & balance to the domestic leagues. Perhaps finance in football might come back a bit closer to reality too if Sky etc. focus on this ESL. Nice idea but, if it does actually happen, you can be damn sure it won't be as simple as that. 

(said with perhaps just the tiniest dint of bitterness and/or sour grapes as we once again look uncompetitive at the top table!)

This will hoover up all the money and all the up and coming players 

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

The key point that needs to change this time is that they have to *leave* their current domestic league to join the Super League. Otherwise this would just ruin domestic competitions even more.

But based on these proposals that is even less likely than before, which then was not at all the plan, when it was a self-contained and self-elected group of clubs with permanent membership.

If now there are to be - at least in theory - no permanent members but certainly potentially with new clubs qualifying each season then that would involve those new non-mega clubs leaving their domestic leagues, only to find they had no domestic league to go back to if they were relegated out of the super league.  No such club would risk that.

No, this is just a tarted up version of the previous attempt, which was a way of the mega-clubs supplanting the Champions League with their own bespoke and even more money-spinning competition, while staying in the domestic leagues.

• Like 1

And stop the players who go playing for their national teams. Then the hoovering up of players "might" be limited.

Edited by wr4sb

I'm delighted it's back on the table, let them have their own "football" and the rest can work on making it a sport again.

• Like 1

I don’t recall any sanction from the Prem last time the “big six” signed up for it so from their perspective I’m sure they’ll try again.  The important thing, though, would have to be that if they were in the ESL they mustn’t also be allowed to play in the Prem or any of the domestic trophies, but I fully expect the Prem and FA to cave in on that.

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I too hope they go. Those that enjoy the whole corrupt football for TV sh1t show will still be able to watch it. What's not to like.

The problem is, the FA will still find a way to keep football corrupt

Let’s let ‘em have it, it’s got to happen someday and we can get rid of the sugar daddy clubs and having to play them every season.

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

I don’t recall any sanction from the Prem last time the “big six” signed up for it so from their perspective I’m sure they’ll try again.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/09/football/super-league-premier-league-sanctions-spt-intl/index.html

Thats the only I can find with a quick Google. Lots of European sanctions, but that's the only one that mentions EPL sanctions specifically. 

I was in favour last time and even more so now. As long as they're banned from our game obviously. 

I heard an ex pro on the radio earlier saying that players wouldn't jeopardise their international careers by taking part. Call me old and cynical if you like but I did laugh. 

• Like 1

Yeah, after this season I'm now more than happy for the ESL to start and the EPL big 6  to go in a clean break.  Hoovering of English players will be from all ESL members, so will drive higher transfer fees, so can't see a downside.  I don't get worried about England either.  It's Norwich I care about.

Edited by shefcanary

Anyone know what Norwich City's view is on the ESL? Is it any different from when we were on the cusp of being promoted to the EPL to being relegated from it?

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Anyone know what Norwich City's view is on the ESL? Is it any different from when we were on the cusp of being promoted to the EPL to being relegated from it?

Despite the car crash that the Championship represents it seems that all provincial clubs similar to NCFC prefer the golden egg opportunity that the occasional Premier League season delivers hence why the only real response seems to be to ensure that the Club is represented at a Premier League meeting on the issue albeit that our chances of being members of same next season are slim. No wonder the big 6 response is to carry on their own agenda regardless whilst Delia comments on the colour of cushions.

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Despite the car crash that the Championship represents it seems that all provincial clubs similar to NCFC prefer the golden egg opportunity that the occasional Premier League season delivers hence why the only real response seems to be to ensure that the Club is represented at a Premier League meeting on the issue albeit that our chances of being members of same next season are slim. No wonder the big 6 response is to carry on their own agenda regardless whilst Delia comments on the colour of cushions.

I’m sorry but none of that made sense to me. Could you try again? 

10 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m sorry but none of that made sense to me. Could you try again? 

Some punctuation would help too! 

6 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

The problem is, the FA will still find a way to keep football corrupt

Probably, but if they don't have jurisdiction over this Super League it will be a bit of a come down for them. Bless 'em. And what about the poor refs...

Also not at all surprised that the likes of Real and PSG want/are leading on this. The supposed draw of English football is the history. I'd be very interested to see how many different English sides have won the domestic title against say Italy or Spain. Sure we've always had a big 5/6 clubs but it was always competitive. That's now gone so may as well shunt off the current "big six" and attempt to get back to some semblance of competition. 

They’ve got to allow promotion to it from the EPL, otherwise how will Oilcastle Utd become a part of it? They are a few seasons/ managers away from being competitive at that level yet. 
If it is possible to gain promotion to it, then football will be no better off, as every now and then some billionaire will want to play Football Manager for real and bank roll Accrington Stanley to the ESL on a whim. 

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Probably, but if they don't have jurisdiction over this Super League it will be a bit of a come down for them. Bless 'em. And what about the poor refs...

Simon Hooper and Mike Dean will be excellent additions to the super league and I wish them the best of luck and hope they enjoy it so much, we never see them reffing one of our games again. (I could’ve quoted a few more, but generally cannot keep count of the many refs who have done us over)

• Haha 1