TheBaldOne66

All the Cantwell haters

Read Bournemouth have option to buy at end of Loan and £11m quoted but guess that might include a lot of add on's, but not bad business either for NCFC just a shame it didn't work out here for him 

3 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Its funny really I've always been the opposite, because he's Todd from Dereham and not Timo from Dresden I've always cut him more slack and why his behaviour feels more of a kick in the teeth than it would any other player. 

Totally off-topic but, if you like travelling, Dresden is a gorgeous city. Or, it will be when all the cranes have gone. Really spoiled the "Canaletto view" when I was there in 2018.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

I expect the main falling out has been with Webber and that is the reason he was keen to leave and we were happy to get rid.

Farke/Smith would both have excluded him for 'football' reasons but I am guessing that Todd has allowed the dealings over any new contract/sale to effect his performance in training and reached point where he has even down tools on a couple of occasions.

A real sad end to his time with us.

54 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Totally off-topic but, if you like travelling, Dresden is a gorgeous city. Or, it will be when all the cranes have gone. Really spoiled the "Canaletto view" when I was there in 2018.

My grandfather made numerous visits to Dresden in 1945.

• Haha 1

I have some personal interaction stories regarding Cantrell of the 'do you know who I am' variety. The lad has a massive ego problem who thought normal rules did not apply to him. 

A great player but one who was likely to poison the atmosphere around him so actually glad that he is gone. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

My grandfather made numerous visits to Dresden in 1945.

Hah, the old joke by locals in Dresden was that their city got destroyed twice. Once by the Allies (on Valentine's Day, in what is surely one of 20th century European history's great ironies) then by the Soviets in the subsequent rebuild.

They've got a hell of a point, all you need to see as evidence for the second one is the Prager Strasse when you turn left out of the main train station. Add a cold wind, a few inches of snow, and you'd think "heck, which gulag is this?"

But if you're not captivated by the view along the Brühlsche Terrasse, or indeed the famous Canaletto view from the northern side of the Elbe (deliberately booked the then Westin hotel and a room with that view)...then I really wouldn't know what to say. I'm no architecture aficionardo by any means, but that view of their Altstadt is simply stunning.

7 minutes ago, rock bus said:

I expect the main falling out has been with Webber and that is the reason he was keen to leave and we were happy to get rid.

The exasperation with Todd at Webber's level would have started when they were renewing everyone's contracts and he wouldn't sign, for whatever reason. Long term contracts were offered to all the players and they all accepted - except Todd (presumably as advised by his agent).  That would have been the start of it.  Then the saga over the hype he had at the end of the first PL season when people were touting him as going event to a club like Liverpool and Farke was forced to take him out of the team because of it. 

This season would have been different imo - more a footballing thing - the need to become more defensive after a bad start entailing he was left out in favour of others, which would have been met with frustration by the player.

All that leaves aside any personal stuff that may or may not have been going on - which most of us have no idea about.  

So for me, the start of the problems have been with the attitude of Todd and his agent once he had made the breakthrough into the first team. Without that contract saga and if he had just signed a long term contract like the other players, people would have been a bit more forgiving of other problems that occured. Say he was on a four or five year contract like most of the others, then he would have had to settle down, work his contract and yes, if a good offer came along he could consider it.....but not committing to a long term contract was always going to mean he was slightly unsettled and looking forwards rather than being in the present.

Youthful exuberance and excitement at doing well is understandable - but being awkward with contracts at the same time is not sensible - and for that the agent has to take responsibility. Falling out wth the people that employ you at an early stage is never going to turn out well. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Don’t read them then!!

I won't be but didn't realise i said i would be in my post.

It'll take him about four months to get match fit and sharp...could be a useful pre-season if we need to take him back.  🤣

Apples

45 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Sexy Bennett has spoken and it’s safe to say he was a wrongun that some of us had highlighted years ago

How come I can't find this Sexy Bennett thing, can somebody link me up?

23 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The exasperation with Todd at Webber's level would have started when they were renewing everyone's contracts and he wouldn't sign, for whatever reason. Long term contracts were offered to all the players and they all accepted - except Todd (presumably as advised by his agent). 

Can you provide some evidence that a contract was rejected please?

From what I can see Todd Cantwell signed a 3 year contract with 1 year option to summer 2023 (total 4 years) in summer 2019.

Max Aarons signed his contract at the same time, in summer 2019, it was for 5 years... so only 1 year longer.

Ben Godrey signed a 4 year contract at the same time, to summer 2023.

Complete myth, you've made this up.

He signed at the same time as Aarons and Godfrey, and committed to the same duration as Godfrey.

It's an interesting side note to our "model" that comparatively few of the players that we have so far built to sell go on to do any better elsewhere. Maddison definitely - but he is in a midtable team and not in the England team despite his talent. Godfrey maybe - but after his early promise and one England squad he is now getting criticism - will be interesting to see what Lampard does with him. Lewis is turning down loans back to the Championship. Jacob Murphy can barely get in a struggling Newcastle team. Josh Murphy is on loan at Preston from Cardiff. The jury is still out on Buendia. Even Redmond hasn't achieved his potential despite a good solid career at a club no bigger than ours.

Cantwell was never really in this class for us. He had a few good games but was never consistent and has never had the adulation or respect these players had. £11m would represent a good return for him.

I think perhaps Aarons is a bit wiser and understands that holding down a starting place in a PL team isn't quite as easy as others might think. Omobamidele could be the best of them all, if he isn't just another injury prone centre back.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Username on Twitter. I think it's a private account though. 

Bailey has written a great piece in The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/3103531/2022/02/01/how-norwich-and-todd-cantwell-fell-out-of-love/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983&redirected=1

I'd forgotten about this...another **** move from Webber.

On speaking to The Athletic about football’s coronavirus suspension allowing him the time to process the prospect of relegation, Norwich sporting director Stuart Webber said: “It let me get my head around it so that when the inevitable came and we got relegated I don’t have to sit sulking, crying at home or lying on a football pitch hoping someone takes a picture of me. When you can look at yourself and be honest, that’s the most important thing. That’s where you get your answers.”

Only Cantwell will know if such a cynical view of his actions was fair. His immediate reaction was to defend himself by posting on his Instagram story the said picture of him on the pitch that day.

While Webber could always take pleasure in seeing Cantwell surprise everyone, including him, it was Farke’s faith and unwavering support that provided the platform to shine. Losing that faith from Farke now appears to be one of the terminal moments in Cantwell’s Norwich career.

and its always about the money...

Cantwell is some way short of being among Norwich’s top earners — a situation that is as much the result of a protracted and difficult contract renewal in the summer of 2019 following promotion as Cantwell’s emergence as an academy product at the same club.

Both Norwich and Cantwell are set to profit should there be a certain number of appearances and Scott Parker’s team return to the Premier League, when an option to make the move permanent for more than £10 million will also become a realistic outcome.

£10m? I'd take it now, i think we all would no?

25 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:
54 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The exasperation with Todd at Webber's level would have started when they were renewing everyone's contracts and he wouldn't sign, for whatever reason. Long term contracts were offered to all the players and they all accepted - except Todd (presumably as advised by his agent). 

Can you provide some evidence that a contract was rejected please?

From what I can see Todd Cantwell signed a 3 year contract with 1 year option to summer 2023 (total 4 years) in summer 2019.

Max Aarons signed his contract at the same time, in summer 2019, it was for 5 years... so only 1 year longer.

Ben Godrey signed a 4 year contract at the same time, to summer 2023.

Complete myth, you've made this up.

He signed at the same time as Aarons and Godfrey, and committed to the same duration as Godfrey.

That is not a fair appraisal of the situation - and i didn't say that he rejected a contract, only that he took ages to sign one -and then a shorter one than all the others. Taken from Bailey's article above  -

"Cantwell is some way short of being among Norwich’s top earners — a situation that is as much the result of a protracted and difficult contract renewal in the summer of 2019 following promotion as Cantwell’s emergence as an academy product at the same club".

I would also question that he signed at the same time as Aarons and Godfrey.  There was quite a bit of discussion at the time about why he would not sign a contract that all other players seemed to be doing without any problem.

Edited by lake district canary

Buendia will be a massive success under Gerrard & is already beginning to have that impact.  I think £33m (others may not agree) was far too cheap for a player of his class.

Maddison was a snip at £25m. Aarons will go on to have a great career as his attitude is 100%

It is a pity (IMO) that we have not improved the 1st team since we last were in the premiership or indeed last year.

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Buendia will be a massive success under Gerrard & is already beginning to have that impact.  I think £33m (others may not agree) was far too cheap for a player of his class.

Maddison was a snip at £25m. Aarons will go on to have a great career as his attitude is 100%

It is a pity (IMO) that we have not improved the 1st team since we last were in the premiership or indeed last year.

We only need 6 points from 16 games to show we have improved since last time we were in the Prem, so certainly a big call from yourself.

Only time will tell if this move was good for both parties but I note on the BFC Facebook site that the loan is being treated as somewhat of a 'coup' for Scott Parker.Lets hope the love affair with them turns out a bit better than it did with us

6 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

On the contrary I feel. Because he’s a local lad he’s had to endure more abuse than your average player. Being away from local idiots that will him to fail may just be the best thing that happens to him. Good luck Todd

Agree with this. Sorry to say this, but I’ve always felt a section of our fan base is harsher on ‘our own’. I personally put it down to a form of inferiority complex amongst some in the region (know your place etc). I’m not from Norfolk and no longer live there, but I admit to loving seeing local players come through. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Youthful exuberance and excitement at doing well is understandable - but being awkward with contracts at the same time is not sensible - and for that the agent has to take responsibility. Falling out wth the people that employ you at an early stage is never going to turn out well. 

I'm struggling to understand why Cantwell was being difficult in the 2019/20 contract negotiations.

Cast your mind back to that season and he played a bit-part role - even getting (harsh, IMO) criticism for his performances.

To be honest, it seems like this - and all of the other issues we've had with Todd - can be traced back to bad advice from his agent. 

41 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Sure, some players have done well, EMI, Madders probably, but over my decades of supporting I’ve been astounded how few players have left us and really gone on to flourish. 

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Basically says that Todd sees himself as a bit of a golden egg, Farke had enough of him, Webber disliked him and Smith has been unimpressed in the time he's been with us.

As ever with SB it's quite a lot of vaguely controversial conjecture that is just reasonably believable enough to catch the attention. 

Michael Bailey also wrote in that article that "Others at the club have observed a difference between Cantwell's current performance levels and his perception of where he should be at" which definitely indicates that he thinks he's a bit better than he actually is. He'd probably point to that self belief being the thing that has got him to the level he's at, but somehow it's gotten out of control to the point he believes he's good enough to deserve to start every game for us without putting the effort in to do so.

The move to Bournemouth will hopefully be a bit of a reality check for him, I never want to see them do well but we could do with them getting promoted now so they have to buy him for 10M because with his contract up next year we're unlikely to ever be offered more than that.

14 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Oh pi$s off

2 managers didnt want to pick him this season...and no premier league club wanted to sign him

He's ended up back in the championship the absolute waster.

Another Alex Pritchard

Not "another Alex Pritchard" though is he? Pritchard went to the Premier League and didn't really cut it. Cantwell has already proven he can, when at the top of his game, cut it in the Premier League, hence why he was being looked at by the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal, Leeds etc and not rejected by Spurs like Pritchard.

2 managers DID pick him this season. He has started games for both. In fact, prior to the "personal issues", which started after the window shut, his stats for the games he played were actually really quite impressive, his defensive work-rate in terms of tackles etc and passing was amongst the best in the team. He was picked to start for the first 4-5 games I think as well.

He then got a shot at it when Smith arrived.

This could be as much about a player wanting a change. Not unusual for young adults from Norfolk to want to go and experience what the rest of the world is like. It's not like he hasn't got a lot of grief either, despite three good seasons before this one, and at 23/24, that's quite a feat.

He may never hit the heights he has hit with us, I hope he does because it would be an absolute waste of the ability he has if he doesn't.

It's as simple as that, no need for the conspiracy theories, accusations of sexuality struggles or the vast amount of other BS bandied around by men who somehow think he should grow up after stalking the hell out of him online and calling him playground names.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Unfortunately, Villa didn't sign Buendia when Gerrard was there... He may go on to be worth more than £33m, much in the same way that Farke and the coaches turned him from the £1.5m player into the £33m player.

Reality is you pay for what something is worth, or you believe is worth and if you can turn it into better value then great.

Like when you buy a house to live in, primarily you buy it for the price it is on the market at that time. The owners don't demand more because they see you are a family looking to settle down and think it'll be worth £10k more in five years...

That is not a fair appraisal of the situation - and i didn't say that he rejected a contract, only that he took ages to sign one -and then a shorter one than all the others. Taken from Bailey's article above  -

"Cantwell is some way short of being among Norwich’s top earners — a situation that is as much the result of a protracted and difficult contract renewal in the summer of 2019 following promotion as Cantwell’s emergence as an academy product at the same club".

I would also question that he signed at the same time as Aarons and Godfrey.  There was quite a bit of discussion at the time about why he would not sign a contract that all other players seemed to be doing without any problem.

Cantwell's new contract was announced 3rd July 2019.

That is 6 days before we announced that Max Aarons had signed a new contract (9th July 2009), and just a week after we announced Godfrey's new contract (26th June 2019).

It was in fact Jamal Lewis who didn't sign one in 2019 following promotion.

There are things that I think Cantwell is worthy of being criticised for, quite a few in fact, but this contract stuff from you today is clearly conjecture.

Cantwell's new contract was announced 3rd July 2019.

That is 6 days before we announced that Max Aarons had signed a new contract (9th July 2009), and just a week after we announced Godfrey's new contract (26th June 2019).

It was in fact Jamal Lewis who didn't sign one in 2019 following promotion.

There are things that I think Cantwell is worthy of being criticised for, quite a few in fact, but this contract stuff from you today is clearly conjecture.

23 minutes ago, chicken said:

Cantwell has already proven he can, when at the top of his game, cut it in the Premier League

If that is the case why has nobody made the move for him.

We already know that when a club matches our valuation we sell.

Clearly nobody has ever offered Premier League money for Todd Cantwell.