TheBaldOne66

All the Cantwell haters

I think the whole thing is a bit sad really. I would imagine most of the chat is nonsense and it all boils down to contracts and money. Most things do. It took him a long time to sign the contract in 2019 and I would imagine it was not of the value of his peers HOWEVER at that point he was not a first team regular and wasn’t great at the tail end of that season. After a really good season in the premiership he probably refused to even countenance discussing a new contract. As by this stage he probably thought He would not be at Norwich for much longer. The move didn’t arrive the behind closed doors season did he knuckled down did well again. Again he probably thought won’t be at Norwich much longer. I would imagine being dropped by Farke who understandable was trying to get points whatever way he could hit him hard thrown the fact he was still at Norwich.

Smith was probably influenced by Webber opinion of him and the fact he will want to leave again regardless of what happens at the end of the season so thought he is not worth it for 18 games.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 1

What can be gleaned from this is that the real issue behind his lack of training was not wanting to play for our club anymore! Regardless of the personal issues, if he’s happy enough to relocate away from his family hub to play football then it’s not all down to personal issues as some supposedly were in the know! 
Personally as some on this I’m a little saddened by the whole 6 months, glad he’s found a club to take a chance on him and glad City will get something back on their development.

Good luck to him hopefully he’ll grow up in his attitude and realise he’s 24 now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There are things that I think Cantwell is worthy of being criticised for, quite a few in fact, but this contract stuff from you today is clearly conjecture.

I refer you to my previous answer, which I clearly remember at the time, that a contract was known to have been offered to him quite early on in proceedings and that it was a long drawn out affair - backed up by Micael Bailey that "Cantwell is some way short of being among Norwich’s top earners — a situation that is as much the result of a protracted and difficult contract renewal in the summer of 2019 following promotion as Cantwell’s emergence as an academy product at the same club."

Or maybe you don't agree with him either? 

6 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Omobamidele could be the best of them all, if he isn't just another injury prone centre back.

Worries me that he shares an agent with Todd Cantwell though. Their clientele are rapidly turning into a motley crew. 

5 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Worries me that he shares an agent with Todd Cantwell though. Their clientele are rapidly turning into a motley crew. 

Ooh God, that's a concern, hope Omo keeps a sensible head on.  Or do we call for Rio?

20 hours ago, Besthorpe-48 said:

Yes actually I think it's a great move for Todd getting some game time where he can shine in a team that's lost its way a bit. Hopefully he will come back and play a role in the Premier league next season.

For who

8 hours ago, Indy said:

What can be gleaned from this is that the real issue behind his lack of training was not wanting to play for our club anymore! Regardless of the personal issues, if he’s happy enough to relocate away from his family hub to play football then it’s not all down to personal issues as some supposedly were in the know! 
Personally as some on this I’m a little saddened by the whole 6 months, glad he’s found a club to take a chance on him and glad City will get something back on their development.

Good luck to him hopefully he’ll grow up in his attitude and realise he’s 24 now!

I don't think one can draw that conclusion tbh. Talking from experience, sometimes family, whilst incredibly supportive, can be suffocating to someone trying to make their own decisions and finding the pressure of people trying to make decisions for you frustrating.

There's that old thing of "finding yourself" and to do it, taking yourself away from all of the noise and focusing on you. There is actually a lot to be said about that. Sometimes you have to get some space, some distance. Start to make choices for you, to make your own mistakes and to build your own successes. 

Folks often say Norfolk is a small world, and it really can be. It's not always easy to escape stuff in these parts.

Also have to reflect on the fact that he has been part of this club since he was in single digits, and whilst I am sure he still loves football, at least I hope he does, sometimes a change is as good as a rest. Either way, makes sense for both parties at the moment as something isn't working out.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

I don't think one can draw that conclusion tbh. Talking from experience, sometimes family, whilst incredibly supportive, can be suffocating to someone trying to make their own decisions and finding the pressure of people trying to make decisions for you frustrating.

There's that old thing of "finding yourself" and to do it, taking yourself away from all of the noise and focusing on you. There is actually a lot to be said about that. Sometimes you have to get some space, some distance. Start to make choices for you, to make your own mistakes and to build your own successes. 

Folks often say Norfolk is a small world, and it really can be. It's not always easy to escape stuff in these parts.

Also have to reflect on the fact that he has been part of this club since he was in single digits, and whilst I am sure he still loves football, at least I hope he does, sometimes a change is as good as a rest. Either way, makes sense for both parties at the moment as something isn't working out.

It’s a point well made. The problem is this move rules out a lot of reasoning for his lack of training (ones that we could be sympathetic to). It’s not long Covid, not a persistent injury that needs managing. He wouldn’t pass a medical. If it was a close family member illness I still think moving 100’s of miles away is strange. 

So when he pulled out of training as he did… the reasons are now narrowing down and they don’t look good.

3 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

It’s a point well made. The problem is this move rules out a lot of reasoning for his lack of training (ones that we could be sympathetic to). It’s not long Covid, not a persistent injury that needs managing. He wouldn’t pass a medical. If it was a close family member illness I still think moving 100’s of miles away is strange. 

So when he pulled out of training as he did… the reasons are now narrowing down and they don’t look good.

In his longer interview, as well as saying he wanted to get out, he also in passing said he wanted games, so that is plainly another reason why he wanted to go. So not happy to fight for his place, with Farke's more pragmatic way of playing making it harder to get in the side - and then realising it wasn't going to be easy to get into Smith's side.

54 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

Again, no. I mean if we want to go into the realms of reading tea leaves here...

Why are we even trying to make up reasons? Why does it even matter? Since Smith arrived we know he's been training, he's been in the training videos. That isn't signs of a player that isn't interested. Nor is the fact that Smith picked him to be on the bench.

We do know under Farke that he went through a period of being unable to complete a full weeks training and Farke said that until he does, it'd be hardly fair to drop a player who has. Farke said it was down to injuries at that point. We know that Farke has been outspoken about injuries he feels shouldn't keep players out, we also know that he is happy to talk about players lacking focus owing to potential moves.

The question is, why would Farke not be so outspoken again when it was only last season that he did so? Why would he give the reasoning as "personal" if they weren't? Why would he make excuses for players? The one thing we know is that he doesn't rest on his laurels and he is quite prepared to say it how it is and cast players out. Equally, Smith isn't known for sugar coating everything and has actively tried to include and encourage Cantwell.

Is it not just possible that it just isn't working out how Todd expected for whatever reason? Why does there need to be a huge drama about it? It all just baffles me.

I hope he can find his form again and return to the heights of the 19/20 season and the 20/21 season where he was an incredibly valuable member of our starting line up on a regular basis. Ideally, he can come back to us and be brilliant. If not, no hard feelings from me. It's just football... it's not like the same people slagging him off now were hailing him as a hero at any point over the last 3-4 seasons.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

Again, no. I mean if we want to go into the realms of reading tea leaves here...

Why are we even trying to make up reasons? Why does it even matter? Since Smith arrived we know he's been training, he's been in the training videos. That isn't signs of a player that isn't interested. Nor is the fact that Smith picked him to be on the bench.

We do know under Farke that he went through a period of being unable to complete a full weeks training and Farke said that until he does, it'd be hardly fair to drop a player who has. Farke said it was down to injuries at that point. We know that Farke has been outspoken about injuries he feels shouldn't keep players out, we also know that he is happy to talk about players lacking focus owing to potential moves.

The question is, why would Farke not be so outspoken again when it was only last season that he did so? Why would he give the reasoning as "personal" if they weren't? Why would he make excuses for players? The one thing we know is that he doesn't rest on his laurels and he is quite prepared to say it how it is and cast players out. Equally, Smith isn't known for sugar coating everything and has actively tried to include and encourage Cantwell.

Is it not just possible that it just isn't working out how Todd expected for whatever reason? Why does there need to be a huge drama about it? It all just baffles me.

I hope he can find his form again and return to the heights of the 19/20 season and the 20/21 season where he was an incredibly valuable member of our starting line up on a regular basis. Ideally, he can come back to us and be brilliant. If not, no hard feelings from me. It's just football... it's not like the same people slagging him off now were hailing him as a hero at any point over the last 3-4 seasons.

I personally find it bizarre you don't want to know whats going on at the club. This has clear ramifications. It is the difference between a healthy budget and a mediocre one in the future. It's the difference between staying up and going down. It's the difference between a petulant player who is getting paid to treat us like fools or managers who couldn't get the best out a talented player. We aren't wealthy enough to write off 20 million assets and when it happens we want to know why.

He has pulled out of training late for Smith too and you haven't mentioned his unhelpful social media messages that directly contradict the manager. 

There is a huge difference between 'slagging him off' and wanting to know why our most potent attacking midfielder didn't want to play football anymore and why we now have a massive hole in future finances.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, chicken said:

So to escape the small world of Norfolk he’s moved to the epicentre of the UK that is Dorset. Fair enough I guess. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I personally find it bizarre you don't want to know whats going on at the club. This has clear ramifications. It is the difference between a healthy budget and a mediocre one in the future. It's the difference between staying up and going down. It's the difference between a petulant player who is getting paid to treat us like fools or managers who couldn't get the best out a talented player. We aren't wealthy enough to write off 20 million assets and when it happens we want to know why.

He has pulled out of training late for Smith too and you haven't mentioned his unhelpful social media messages that directly contradict the manager. 

There is a huge difference between 'slagging him off' and wanting to know why our most potent attacking midfielder didn't want to play football for Norwich anymore and why we now have a massive hole in future finances.

I've fixed that for you.

Seems quite excited to play for Bournemouth.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I've fixed that for you.

Seems quite excited to play for Bournemouth.

I don't want to play for you anymore so i'll just not bother. If i'm totally honest I don't care whether he wants to play for Bournemouth, he had a contract here, he had opportunities here, he was paid to play here. You play for the club you are at, until you play for someone else. Giving up on us is giving up on playing football (until his contract runs out).

1 minute ago, hertfordyellow said:

I don't want to play for you anymore so i'll just not bother. If i'm totally honest I don't care whether he wants to play for Bournemouth, he had a contract here, he had opportunities here, he was paid to play here. You play for the club you are at, until you play for someone else. Giving up on us is giving up on playing football (until his contract runs out).

Preaching to the choir, I'm glad to see the back of him (for now).

Now we need a sweepstake on when he'll post his first cryptic tweet, I'm guessing after he scores his first Bournemouth goal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

He is gone. No longer our concern. Could not care less about the bell end to be honest.... if you don't want to play football for my club I lose all interest in you. Its not mature or adult like but it's honest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

Unfortunately, in football, you can't just walk out the door and find a new job. Not exactly his fault that's how it works... Mind you, we do then get to have a fee for him so swings and roundabouts. Just a bit odd to blame him for how football contracts work.

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

So to escape the small world of Norfolk he’s moved to the epicentre of the UK that is Dorset. Fair enough I guess. 

I did the same, pretty much.

Went to University in Farnham, Surrey. Commuter town, a bit out on a limb. Guildford isn't exactly a "happening" place either... well, not unless a certain member of Girls Aloud gets thrown out of a night club for attacking another clubber whilst racially abusing her counts as "happening".

Quiet and sleepy, but also quite posh. If I am honest, looking back on it, it wasn't a good choice, but I had to own it and learn from it, and I did. Wouldn't be where I am now. One thing I did benefit from was being away from the pressure of being the person everyone keeps telling you to be and establishing what it is I wanted to be.

From there I moved to London and after a couple of years there I'd had enough of the South-East in general. Wasn't for me. But how would I know if I hadn't tried it? I wasn't alone amongst my friends in that regard either.

4 hours ago, hertfordyellow said:

There is a huge difference between 'slagging him off' and wanting to know why our most potent attacking midfielder didn't want to play football anymore and why we now have a massive hole in future finances.

There is a difference between being interested and being obsessed and having to come up with conspiracy theories. The social media stuff was hilarious, mainly because he'd post something completely unrelated and you'd get a bunch of hot under the collar 40+yr old's on here going on like it was faked moon landings or something.

Then you'd get comments about him posing in fashionwear... or with new boots or some other thing apparently he shouldn't be doing.

Then we get a photo of Normann in nothing but his pants/shorts or whatever it was and the same people are loving it.

Nah, what I do is not read too much into anything because quite often, the truth is sitting right in front of you without the need for some wild sort of obsessive witch hunt.

As for his value. We'll never know what his 'future value' would be. At least, we won't know unless he is successful again to the point someone wants to sign him and he goes for big money. He may never do. He may sign for Bournemouth for £11m and it could be the biggest transfer of his career. Better players have had similar things happen.

If you trim it all down it's just far less fussy. Interest in Cantwell and Buendia unsettled them at the end of summer 2020. It transpires an agreement was in place and being worked upon that season so Buendia would remain but be sold. Both players got stuck in and contributed to a fantastic bounce back campaign culminating in another Championship title. Cantwell started this season relatively well, relative to the rest of the team, leading stats in tackling, as well as having a solid pass completion rate and ground covered. This fell apart when it was reported he had had personal issues off the pitch, followed by an Achilles injury and then Farke's comments about not completing a weeks training for a couple of weeks for various reasons and he wouldn't be considered a 1st team contender until he had a full week behind him.

Smith came in and appears to have brought him into the fold, encouraged him and had him on the bench as well as a couple of starts. Despite that, there appeared to be some lethargy about his play, a bit of a lack of urgency. He was really at odds and not the Cantwell we had seen over the past two seasons.

At that point what do you do? He's gone out on loan, with a fee agreed should Bournemouth wish to make it permanent. Sometimes things just don't work out. C'est la vie.

Farke has been sacked, so if it was his fault it has been addressed. Smith has come in and given him every opportunity to perform for us, and he must be doing ok in training to get starts.

It is possible that he just needs a change. Beyond that we have no idea. So why overthink it? Why the witch hunt? Why does someone have to be to blame? 

Don't hate Cantwell but I hate his over inflated opinion of himself and the way hes gone about his football career!

I'm afraid in reality Cantwells not quick enough or strong enough to be good enough for the Premier League. His brief appearances this season produced no end product and it was painful to watch him play. Unless he gets his head right and improve his performances he will be playing non League football before he turns 30.

Chris Sutton was an unpleasant arrogant so and so off the field in his days at Norwich but his attitude on the pitch was superb and the reason why he had a very good career.

Max Aarons is going about it the right way by getting his head down and letting his on the pitch performances do the talking.