Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

Hugill was good for the dressing room you said

Come on then Hugill supporters. When we were saying he was a waste of money and simply not good enough, you clappers were saying but but he needs more minutes and he is good for moral.

Norwich sent him away to WBA where he has done nothing, NCFC have declined to take him back this window because he has done nothing at WBA. The Brummy fans are saying they would rather field 10 men than have him in the side.

Anyone want to admit he was a complete waste of money that could have been wasted on someone else 

There was an interview not long ago with a former team mate of Hugill who said he was basically a Sunday league striker but so eager to learn and a nice guy. 

That's not enough to cut it though really is it. 

25 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

There was an interview not long ago with a former team mate of Hugill who said he was basically a Sunday league striker but so eager to learn and a nice guy. 

There's basically an entire article about how its remarkable he made it as a footballer on the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/2831879/2021/09/17/jordan-hugill-the-unlikely-footballer-who-will-play-leading-role-for-west-brom-on-and-off-the-pitch/

“He was the most unfit player I’ve ever seen, apart from a goalkeeper,” the former Port Vale manager tells The Athletic.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

There's basically an entire article about how its remarkable he made it as a footballer on the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/2831879/2021/09/17/jordan-hugill-the-unlikely-footballer-who-will-play-leading-role-for-west-brom-on-and-off-the-pitch/

“He was the most unfit player I’ve ever seen, apart from a goalkeeper,” the former Port Vale manager tells The Athletic.

30 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

I probably should not be laughing at this should I?

2008–2009 Seaham Red Star    
2009–2010 Consett    
2011 Jerez Industrial 15 (2)
2011–2012 Whitby Town    
2012  Marske United (loan)    
2013–2014 Port Vale 20 (4)
2013  Gateshead (loan) 7 (5)
2014–2018 Preston North End 103 (23)
2015  Tranmere Rovers (loan) 6 (1)
2015  Hartlepool United (loan) 8 (4)
2018–2020 West Ham United 3 (0)
2018–2019  Middlesbrough (loan) 37 (6)
2019–2020  Queens Park Rangers (loan) 39 (13)
2020– Norwich City 31 (4)
2021–  West Bromwich Albion (loan) 20 (1)

A few clues here we were wasting millions. 

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:
2008–2009 Seaham Red Star    
2009–2010 Consett    
2011 Jerez Industrial 15 (2)
2011–2012 Whitby Town    
2012  Marske United (loan)    
2013–2014 Port Vale 20 (4)
2013  Gateshead (loan) 7 (5)
2014–2018 Preston North End 103 (23)
2015  Tranmere Rovers (loan) 6 (1)
2015  Hartlepool United (loan) 8 (4)
2018–2020 West Ham United 3 (0)
2018–2019  Middlesbrough (loan) 37 (6)
2019–2020  Queens Park Rangers (loan) 39 (13)
2020– Norwich City 31 (4)
2021–  West Bromwich Albion (loan) 20 (1)

A few clues here we were wasting millions. 

Quite a remarkable rise from non leaue to the Championship and Prem mind.. Quite a big jump.

There are some seemingly contradictory facts. We had a bunch of fairly 'average' players around the fringes of the team in the Championship last season. However, as a squad, they achieved the best results in the club's history.

I have no idea how significant Hugill's contribution was. He certainly didn't do a great deal on the pitch, but seemed to have a big personality in the dressing room. Perhaps he was just a good fit for Farke because he worked hard and did what was asked of him.

I don't see what bringing him back would achieve now. His utility this season would have been solely in negating the need to sign Sargent thus freeing some funds for a CDM.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Quite a remarkable rise from non leaue to the Championship and Prem mind.. Quite a big jump.

Any of us would take that career wouldn't we.

Completely shocked that he's gone to West Ham for £8m and Norwich for £5m though, must have the best agent in football.

It’s an interesting idea that people are/were ‘Hugill supporters’, rather than supporting our club and wanting that club and its players to do well, but there you go.  He was bought to give us a different option, and played his part in our best ever season…why can’t it be left at that, rather than trying to make up some sort of confrontation about something that doesn’t exist.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s an interesting idea that people are/were ‘Hugill supporters’, rather than supporting our club and wanting that club and its players to do well, but there you go.  He was bought to give us a different option, and played his part in our best ever season…why can’t it be left at that, rather than trying to make up some sort of confrontation about something that doesn’t exist.

If he’d been a free transfer on very average wages you’d have a point. Do you think any club would pay a fee for him now? 

• Thanks 1

Like most strikers who weren't Pukki, he didn't quite fit the team as well, so Pukki's halo effect invariably makes them all look worse. I do think people forget how quickly Pukki settled in and then pretty much didn't stop banging in goals. That pretty much saw off Srbeny and indeed stifled Idah's development to some extent.

Ultimately, Hugill was bought as a plan B so the team was not remotely built around him and his strengths to the same extent as Pukki. Sure, the purchase of Placheta hinted at getting out wide and floating some crosses in for him to attack but he was bought to hold up the ball and give Pukki breathers. If he got a few goals at the same time then even better. However, there's not too much need for Plan B if Plan A kept working, so this also meant Hugill didn't get many games. Hard to come into a team and score right away when you're not getting games, and especially when you're mainly an aerial threat in a team that was built to put it on the deck.

Idah's emergence over the last few games is potentially rendering him surplus to requirements now.

Edited by TheGunnShow

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If he’d been a free transfer on very average wages you’d have a point. Do you think any club would pay a fee for him now? 

Oddly enough. you quote me but none of what you said has anything at all to do with what I wrote, which was in short:

a) he was bought as another option

b) he played his part in our best ever season

c) I have never seen a ‘Hugill supporter’, whatever that is.

I think some people get confused by those of us who support the team and want players do do well, rather than finding a new stick to beat the club with all the time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oddly enough. you quote me but none of what you said has anything at all to do with what I wrote, which was in short:

I think some people get confused by those of us who support the team and want players do do well, rather than finding a new stick to beat the club with all the time. 

He cost £5m inclusive of add ons plus a few million in wages? Played a very minor part in a successful year.We can all point out the gems signed but he was a strange one who’s never really scored goals anywhere. Basically one we got wrong and not that cheap too (for the model)

40 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I'm just having a bit of banter with those that thought 5 million on Hugill wasn't a disaster and that he contributed something to the club. Terrible research into the player and subsequent signing, terrible waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere. The main light hearted dig is to those that thought a person who could joke around a bit was what we need in order to be a successful side. 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

I don't see what bringing him back would achieve now. His utility this season would have been solely in negating the need to sign Sargent thus freeing some funds for a CDM.

Not even that.

Sargent offers far more, the games we have won since Smith's arrival have heavily involved him. He came on at half-time Vs Southampton and took the game by the scruff of the neck with his positivity. Utterly changed the picture of the game. He then put in a hard low ball that led to an own goal followed by scoring a brace in the next game. That's without mentioning a brace against Bournemouth.

Difference in price? £3m. Difference in quality... double that.

At this moment in time, our two best wide attacking threats at the club have been Rashica and Sargent, by some distance.

Hugill would have been third choice striker and we would have seen Idah on the wing. Yet, with Idah given more time up front, he seems to be gaining more form and consistency. Funny that.

As I said in another thread. As much as people want to complain, we still pay relatively low amounts for players, as others have said, likely to be low wages too. £8m these days is very good championship striker money, if you are in the championship. Asombalonga and Rhodes moved for that sort of money for example. You need double that to get a proven championship striker.

Normann was to be the CDM, and bar his injury, has been good.

CM balance has been our problem along with creating and taking chances. We can't make the ball stick up front, nor have we stuck it away when we have had the opportunity to do so. When you play against a team like that, you gain confidence in their inability to hurt you, you push on more, you know you can leave it to your defenders. You can take more chances attacking yourselves. 

Edited by chicken

He must be the only non player that's charmed himself into playing in modern day premier League and championship football. 

He isn't a footballer but has pulled something off quite spectacular

Hi rates among the worst signings this club have ever made

whoever decided on him joining this club

Money completely wasted 

3 hours ago, Mullet said:

Come on then Hugill supporters. When we were saying he was a waste of money and simply not good enough, you clappers were saying but but he needs more minutes and he is good for moral.

Norwich sent him away to WBA where he has done nothing, NCFC have declined to take him back this window because he has done nothing at WBA. The Brummy fans are saying they would rather field 10 men than have him in the side.

Anyone want to admit he was a complete waste of money that could have been wasted on someone else 

I thought you'd given this up after claiming Hugill was better than Sarge...

🙃

• Haha 1

There are some stupid posts on here but an overly aggressive OP about one of our players simply to cause an argument is up there.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Mullet said:

It was also clearly documented that we have no recall clause

Westbrom have paid and are paying a lot of money for Hugil  so dont use that part to beat the club from what I can gather he is making up money on that deal

as for if he was a waste of money he contributed to our promotion and gave us that extra opion up from to chuck on the pitch

but going by the ops last sentence it doesnt matter who we sign he will belittle the club and run it down due to his own agenda

9 hours ago, Mullet said:

I'm just having a bit of banter with those that thought 5 million on Hugill wasn't a disaster and that he contributed something to the club. Terrible research into the player and subsequent signing, terrible waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere. The main light hearted dig is to those that thought a person who could joke around a bit was what we need in order to be a successful side. 

Your OP doesn’t come across to me as banter, or several other posters. Starting with “Come on” sounds like you’re looking for a fight and using the word “clappers” is hardly conciliatory. It’s almost as if, now we’ve won two games on the bounce, that you can’t find anything to complain about currently, so you’re forced to start raking through recent history to find something to argue about.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I mean for what, £5 million - just being able to fill in for Pukki and get us a couple of important goals which led to our title makes him worth the fee alone.

You've got to laugh how it's the same posters who always want us "to take a risk", "have a gamble", "speculate to accumulate" on transfers every season, then are the first to complain if it goes wrong.

• Like 1