Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

Hugill was good for the dressing room you said

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I mean for what, £5 million - just being able to fill in for Pukki and get us a couple of important goals which led to our title makes him worth the fee alone.

You've got to laugh how it's the same posters who always want us "to take a risk", "have a gamble", "speculate to accumulate" on transfers every season, then are the first to complain if it goes wrong.

That’s a desperate argument, £5m for a couple of goals even in a title winning team was worth it! There would have been better free transfers available than signing Hugill for that money plus  his decent wages. 

10 hours ago, Mullet said:

I'm just having a bit of banter with those that thought 5 million on Hugill wasn't a disaster and that he contributed something to the club. Terrible research into the player and subsequent signing, terrible waste of money that could have been spent elsewhere. The main light hearted dig is to those that thought a person who could joke around a bit was what we need in order to be a successful side. 

Oh give over. Buying any player is always a gamble. I mean, West Ham saw enough in him to buy him. 

What people often don't think about is that footballers are on a journey.  Some will progress and keep progressing, some will progress to a certain point then stop progressing, all of them will have difficult times in their careers and of course form can vary too, injuries, etc.  Hugill has been on a huge journey to be able to get to the championship was a huge leap from where he started from, let alone the Premier League.

For us, Hugill was seen as being a decent character, shown to be able to score goals at a certain level - and one willing to learn - so all in all a decent prospect to give a go to see if he could take the next step. That he hasn't kicked on is just how it is, not some great crime of the club to spend money on him......you win some you lose some.  Also, as a support striker, you aren't going to find many really good players wanting to come to a club for that position.

Anyhow, it wasn't all bad, he put himself about, made a nuisance of himself on the pitch, scored a couple of goals and added something positive to the dressing room.

• Like 1

Don’t understand the hate on Hugill. Seems to be a rare example of a player who after a spell of not playing for Norwich is now deemed to be worse than he was when he was play for us.

In my opinion he performed the “Jordan Rhodes” role pretty well last season and scored some important goals. Whereas Rhodes for some reason is still a hero Hugill is a villain.

5 million is frankly quite cheap for someone who averages about 10 goals a season in the championship. Whatever happens at West Brom and the future. Norwich got a good year of service out of him. I would imagine WBA paid a loan fee and are covering his wages. I would imagine next year if we are in the championship he could be a useful asset similarly we could probably recoup half of what we paid for him. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That’s a desperate argument, £5m for a couple of goals even in a title winning team was worth it! There would have been better free transfers available than signing Hugill for that money plus  his decent wages. 

Very unambitious from someone who wants richer owners.

I assume you equally wouldn't want the club to splash out something like £20 million now on a defensive midfielder - because even if he only helps gets us a couple of results that are part of us staying up, it wouldn't be worth it, would it?

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Very unambitious from someone who wants richer owners.

I assume you equally wouldn't want the club to splash out something like £20 million now on a defensive midfielder - because even if he only helps gets us a couple of results that are part of us staying up, it wouldn't be worth it, would it?

With richer owners one bad expensive signing wouldn’t make or break us. We haven’t the money to sign the quality needed to survive in this league. Until that changes you’ll only ever hope to stay up instead of expecting to. 

Lies, dammed lies and statistics .

Goals against number of appearances is not particularly relevant  if most of those appearances are as a late sub when the player only gets a few minutes of game time.

Much more relevant would be goals against the equivalent number of full matches played which is typically 97 or 98 minutes per match.

The same goes for other players when unfavorable statistics are quoted.

That being said I don't think that Hugill is good enough.  At least we did not pay as much for him as much as West Ham. I think the fee paid by West Ham influenced people into thinking that a big club like them can't have got it quite that wrong.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

With richer owners one bad expensive signing wouldn’t make or break us. We haven’t the money to sign the quality needed to survive in this league. Until that changes you’ll only ever hope to stay up instead of expecting to. 

Even if you have the money, its still a hope. Everyone has billionaire owners essentially and 3 will always get relegated.

So is Sargent now better option than Hugill? With Idah impressive run do we really don’t need him back and I’m pleased he’s staying where he is. Unfortunately he’ll be back in the summer and we’ll be looking at league 1 teams to loan him to!

At the end of the day he was part of a recruitment process which got us promoted. He didn't play an awful lot but scored a few important goals and while people like to mock the dressing room thing in all probability he helped shake off the relegation hangover in some way. 

Worth the money we paid? Probably not but if the remit of him and other signings was to get us up and then be replaced then job done. 

Hugill is another player who won't be good enough for us at championship level.

Another one who will be moved on this summer.

Championship player that scores an acceptable amount when playing full 90s at that level. Had pukki been injured for 3 months last season and Hugill played instead I think many of us would be thinking more positively about him.

Grand scheme though, probably should have kept Morris.

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Championship player that scores an acceptable amount when playing full 90s at that level. Had pukki been injured for 3 months last season and Hugill played instead I think many of us would be thinking more positively about him.

Grand scheme though, probably should have kept Morris.

Plenty of starts at WBA and did chip in with 1 goal. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Plenty of starts at WBA and did chip in with 1 goal. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jordan-hugill/leistungsdaten/spieler/291544/plus/0?saison=2021

Some starts, mostly spread apart. Played more minutes than last year but not full games so there's not going to be any rhythm.

To be honest I'm surprised that he's not done better under Ismael, I assumed his style would fit the player.  All that being said their results have taken a turn for the worse recently when he hasn't been involved. He's clearly a positive influence on their group. 😉

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Fans who are delighted when their prediction that one of their own players will be awful are just the best sort of fans.

That's half the story. @Mullet told us we'd be better bringing Hugill back and sending Sarge on loan.

Not sure if that makes him a super-clapper or just a bit daft🙃

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jordan-hugill/leistungsdaten/spieler/291544/plus/0?saison=2021

Some starts, mostly spread apart. Played more minutes than last year but not full games so there's not going to be any rhythm.

To be honest I'm surprised that he's not done better under Ismael, I assumed his style would fit the player.  All that being said their results have taken a turn for the worse recently when he hasn't been involved. He's clearly a positive influence on their group. 😉

Maybe they’ll keep him as a cheerleader/impact sub then. 

Farke played a style of football that was never going to suit Hugill, I thought he did well last year considering we were asking him to play like Heskey most of the time in games we were leading and just trying to run the clock down when in reality he's not that type of player. I'm surprised he's been so poor for West Brom though, I haven't seen them play but Barnsley under Ismael put loads of crosses into the box and that's his strength usually.

In terms of ability I'd put him at average Championship level and should be at a mid table side but obviously his attitude means he appeals to clubs who want to push a little higher as well so he's gotten some good moves. We have better options though, even if we go down I'd rather play Idah or Sargent upfront ahead of him because we just don't play to his strengths even under Smith 

Why are so many people rating Hugill so highly? His agent did a fantastic job getting West Ham to buy him! 

He’s had a couple half decent seasons and the rest appallingly bad……15 clubs in 13 seasons! Mostly lower league, 62 goals in 293 games, so not prolific in any way shape or form! 

Decent enough guy and has had a good paying career for someone pretty average, I love the fact he’s a City player and as such is automatically lofted by some of our supporters as a great player just not given enough game time! The reality is he’s obviously a very good pro to be given so many chances at so many clubs but the fact he’s pretty much failed at all says something about his ability! He must have a hell of an agent to get him to West Ham and here! 😉👍

29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's half the story. @Mullet told us we'd be better bringing Hugill back and sending Sarge on loan.

Not sure if that makes him a super-clapper or just a bit daft🙃

Elite-level fan.

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why are so many people rating Hugill so highly? His agent did a fantastic job getting West Ham to buy him! 

He’s had a couple half decent seasons and the rest appallingly bad……15 clubs in 13 seasons! Mostly lower league, 62 goals in 293 games, so not prolific in any way shape or form! 

Decent enough guy and has had a good paying career for someone pretty average, I love the fact he’s a City player and as such is automatically lofted by some of our supporters as a great player just not given enough game time! The reality is he’s obviously a very good pro to be given so many chances at so many clubs but the fact he’s pretty much failed at all says something about his ability! He must have a hell of an agent to get him to West Ham and here! 😉👍

I don't think many are overrating him, unless middtable championship is overrating in your opinion.

He's had 3 decent goal getting seasons in the Championship. 12 in 44, 8 in 27 and 13 in 39. Not prolific but his game has always been work rate and physicality before goals as he is sreaky in front of goal.

7 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I don't think many are overrating him, unless middtable championship is overrating in your opinion.

He's had 3 decent goal getting seasons in the Championship. 12 in 44, 8 in 27 and 13 in 39. Not prolific but his game has always been work rate and physicality before goals as he is sreaky in front of goal.

Exactly, I put him in the decent league 1 striker bracket! Three seasons where he’s had half decent championship seasons out of 13, with 15 clubs! In that period! But that’s just my opinion.

Edited by Indy

I suppose the biggest regret is - if we had thrown another 600 k in with Hugill’s fee we could have signed Ivan Toney 

Who incidentally is worth around 32 million now and would probably have scored enough goals to have us in a better league position than we are now? 

Everything has to be so black and white. Sargent was rubbish only 10 days ago and not worth £1m, let alone the fee we paid. Two goals later apparently he's awesome. Idah was rubbish too, until he wasn't, against Everton.

Now Hugill, who some wanted recalled to be a starter in our team only a few weeks ago, has always apparently been useless and anyone who ever thought differently is clearly just wrong.

Players don't get to be professional unless they can play. They don't get to score goals in the Championship regularly (which he has done) unless they have some idea about what they're doing. The WBA manager saw enough of Hugill to get him on loan in the first place. It hasn't worked out - sometimes things don't. It might not be Hugill's fault. Maybe WBA aren't really very good, as their recent form would suggest. Hugill has missed some good chances for them, but not as many as Pukki missed for us last year.

Billy Gilmour is going to be a world class player, everyone in the game seems to agree. It's not going well for him here. Is that his fault, or maybe that we don't have the players to give him the platform he could excel on?

Harry Kane is definitely a world class player - it didn't go well for him here. Our fault or his?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

Exactly, I put him in the decent league 1 striker bracket! Three seasons where he’s had half decent championship seasons out of 13, with 15 clubs! But that’s just my opinion.

Still harsh I feel.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jordan-hugill/leistungsdaten/spieler/291544/plus/0?saison=2018

One of his 'bad' championship seasons. Played loads of minutes in a season where they finished 7th. Under Pulis I would suggest the main strings to his bow are being used. The other 'bad' one was his first at the level for PNE.

6 minutes ago, Taylor324 said:

I suppose the biggest regret is - if we had thrown another 600 k in with Hugill’s fee we could have signed Ivan Toney 

Who incidentally is worth around 32 million now and would probably have scored enough goals to have us in a better league position than we are now? 

plus another 10m in add ons and talking him into playing second fiddle to Pukki over first choice at Brentford.

13 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

plus another 10m in add ons and talking him into playing second fiddle to Pukki over first choice at Brentford.

That’s a couple of interesting negatives to throw into the debate 

Are you suggesting paying 5 million for Hugill who is probably worth no more than 2 million now was a better option than signing Toney for 5.6 million and is worth 32 million now? 
As for paying 10 million add-ons let’s not forget a further 10 million add-ons could probably be added to Toney’s 32 million fee when sold 

If Toney was worried about competition from Pukki as a reason to not consider Norwich, then by the same argument he’s unlikely to sign for any other club for the rest of his career and will retire at Brentford? 

He's never been prolific, he's a brute who can hold it up. He was never going to rip up trees for us, he was bought in as backup to Pukki and did a fine job in helping us get promoted. Now we've bought better players so sadly he is surplus, we don't need him here right now

9 minutes ago, Taylor324 said:

That’s a couple of interesting negatives to throw into the debate 

Are you suggesting paying 5 million for Hugill who is probably worth no more than 2 million now was a better option than signing Toney for 5.6 million and is worth 32 million now? 
As for paying 10 million add-ons let’s not forget a further 10 million add-ons could probably be added to Toney’s 32 million fee when sold 

If Toney was worried about competition from Pukki as a reason to not consider Norwich, then by the same argument he’s unlikely to sign for any other club for the rest of his career and will retire at Brentford? 

Not sure I'd call what I've said negative, just realistic.

I believe our fee for Hugill was 'up to £5m' whereas their fee for Toney was 'up to £15m'. I assume appearances, goals and promotion are what will trigger the bigger fees but who knows, it's significantly more money though. Could we have matched the bid? Maybe at the cost of not signing a player we needed more in Gibson.

Let's just pretend for a minute that money was no object and we matched their offer. He's young and unproven at Championship level, there's just no way he's picking competition with Pukki (40 goals in 2 years, 30 in the championship) over a guarenteed starting spot at another good club in Brentford. No brainer and not a black mark on his character.

We also have this young Irish lad who's clearly very highly rated by the club. We were never going to spend big on a young striker that summer.

We'd probably be better at penalties if we did sign him (and he managed to get on the pitch) though.

20 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s an interesting idea that people are/were ‘Hugill supporters’, rather than supporting our club and wanting that club and its players to do well, but there you go.  He was bought to give us a different option, and played his part in our best ever season…why can’t it be left at that, rather than trying to make up some sort of confrontation about something that doesn’t exist.

Quite so. When Hugill joined us I felt he wasn’t our type of player, but got behind him especially liking the fact that he might be street wise and physical. It hasn’t  worked out but he did contribute last season coming off the bench. I saw him at Huddersfield this season and he was poor, and my wba mate confirms this. 40k a week at Hammers, good pay day. Mind you at Palace this season I would of liked to see him on the pitch, and loved to see an Onel. He’s earned a good crust so good on him.