Sign in to follow this  
NorthCarolinaYellow

Pukki-Idah-Sargent-Rashica ...

HAVE to be the 4 starting at the top for us. That's the only set of players who have the skill, pace, size, and strength to even come close to a PL level. In a squad that is desperate for the necessary physicality they are essential. I don't care if Pukki is old or Idah can't finish or Sargent has moments where he can't tie his shoes or Rashica shuts off at times ... those 4 HAVE to be in there in my opinion!!

OTBC!!!!

• Like 2

Agree. Where will little Billy Gilmour fit in there? 

Best send him back to Chelsea. 

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

How did Pukki play? Seems to struggle when partnered up front!

His passing and running skills are still top notch but sadly his finishing seems to have started stuttering. Still put in a solid shift mind

That line up gives us hope. Don't want to see Gilmour or Mclean as 1st choice starters again. Only change is when Normann comes back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

His passing and running skills are still top notch but sadly his finishing seems to have started stuttering. Still put in a solid shift mind

His finishing has had periods before when it his stuttered, he is clearly a player who needs confidence and for that he needs goals. 

Ultimately though, it was Pukki's run that lets Idah in. He checked his run just at the right moment and that dragged the centre back out of position.

Edited by 1902

Nice to see Josh and Adam get some praise against a 300 million plus team

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, fredherring said:

You lot are hilarious. 

One dodgy win and suddenly all the dross is good. 

You're pathetic. 

You upset at losing 2-0 to Bolton Haddock boy? 

• Haha 1

Thoroughly enjoyed that performance which looked like a Dean Smith team rather than a confused Farke outfit.

Well done the lads. It may be too late but on this showing we won't go down in shame.

Agree with the op.  Looked good today, Sargent full of running and endeavour causing problems, Rashica excellent, Pukki still pulling defenders around, Idah looking sharp and got that all important first PL goal this season.  Full of praise for them - and Sorensen and Lees Melou too. We'll see how they get on in the next game because barring injury, they have to be the starters next time out, but much improved against an Everton side with excellent players in who we outfought and who we deserved to beat. 

Premier League standard today. Long may that continue.

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Pukki is,and always will be the most important player on the pitch for us. His workrate can't be underestimated. EVER.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, fredherring said:

You lot are hilarious. 

You're pathetic. 

Pathetic comment.

Were you at the actual game?

I was, nothing dodgy about it. We have most of our team back and deserved the 3 points.

• Like 1

It certainly worked today. We've been struggling for goals but I've said before that I'm not sure another striker is the answer as that would mean either dropping Pukki or changing his role, so this system with four attackers may be the way forward. There's plenty of work rate in there so if they dig in whilst out of possession, it could work.

Love the positivity tonight, lots of us kept saying give Sargent & Idah time, they’re better than so far seen! I’m really pleased we have seen they are capable of supporting Pukki & with Rashica, Tzolis, Cantwell and Placheta we have some decent young prospects! Long may it continue please…..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

At this rate, we may be arguing who he should come in for 😂

if lungi is needed again at full back then maybe in the middle for him

2 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

Thoroughly enjoyed that performance which looked like a Dean Smith team rather than a confused Farke outfit.

Well done the lads. It may be too late but on this showing we won't go down in shame.

Ironic, then, that we played as close to Farke's system (from last season's record break Championship win) as we've seen this term.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fredherring said:

You lot are hilarious. 

You're pathetic. 

I could use the word pathetic to describe somebody with the initials fh 

30 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Ironic, then, that we played as close to Farke's system (from last season's record break Championship win) as we've seen this term.

In your opinion.

8 minutes ago, Nora's Ghost said:

In your opinion.

I can see it, with Sorensen doing the Skipp role well and Idah certainly held the ball up bringing in the midfield. It certainly was a  4-2-3-1 to 4-5-1 when needed, Sargent and Rashica both tracked back. We looked comfortable as we have all season, not saying it was perfect but we looked like a team again with battling quality all players knowing what to do. Credit to Smith and the coaching this week.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

He pulled off to the left to allow space for Idah on the second, so don't know about struggling.  It's more about developing a relationship, surely?  As long Pukki's movement is different to Idah he shouldn't struggle, in the national team he is stifled with two up top though - but that other guy (whos name i forget) is quite intimidating vs Idah who seems more a team player.

In my mind, it's important that we don't keep chopping and changing. We've been through so many lineup changes this season, and putting faith into Idah for several games running has really paid dividends.  As Lees-Melou too.  Long may it continue and this wasn't a flash in the pan!

Edited by Google Bot

The front four were very mobile and Everton never got remotely close to working it out - Benitez was extremely slow to move to 3 at the back to try to overload midfield and even then failed to bring on Townsend to give us more problems against pace. Dreadful management. Sargent and Rashica swapped sides two or three times; Idah was all over Keane from minute one and dragged him around the pitch like a puppy; Pukki's running was crucial all game, the way he moved them around. Everton were awful because we didn't allow them to be any good, chasing them down in possession and snapping at them all the time. I really thought we surprised them and they didn't expect to find it so difficult.

Sorensen and PLM both very good at clearing up too. The biggest difference to the West Ham game is that Everton didn't have a player of Bowen's ability to move into the space around Gibson - Everton never exploited that. 

This formation and line up was a huge surprise on Wednesday but showed some good signs. Today, with Sargent back and Sorensen in place of McClean it looked 100% more effective across the pitch.

A small glimmer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

At this rate, we may be arguing who he should come in for 😂

I'd like to see a Sorenson and Normann partnership in there. Sorenson deep with Normann given freedom to build the play as he's capable of spraying passes or slipping in a through ball.

I do have a horrible feeling Smith will bring McLean back in asap though.

Edited by 7HAR1980

7 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Sorensen and PLM both very good at clearing up too. The biggest difference to the West Ham game is that Everton didn't have a player of Bowen's ability to move into the space around Gibson - Everton never exploited that. 

They did but luckily for us decided to keep Richarlison on the bench for far too long - favouring the hapless Rondon, who is a much easier matchup for our CBs.

Edited by kirku

11 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

In terms of formation, yes, but in terms of playing style it was arguably the furthest away.

Different people see different things.

Some are obsessed with 'formations'... others can sense pride, passion and determination. The latter is what I base my thoughts on and Dean Smith is getting what Farke couldn't out of the same players.

18 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Agree with the op.  Looked good today, Sargent full of running and endeavour causing problems, Rashica excellent, Pukki still pulling defenders around, Idah looking sharp and got that all important first PL goal this season.  Full of praise for them - and Sorensen and Lees Melou too. We'll see how they get on in the next game because barring injury, they have to be the starters next time out, but much improved against an Everton side with excellent players in who we outfought and who we deserved to beat. 

Premier League standard today. Long may that continue.

Let’s just take a moment to think about that. On paper yes Everton have good players. They certainly improved when Richarlison came on But…..  That was not a team of premier league players busting a gut for the cause or their manager. They were pretty awful yesterday. Poor in defence, poor in the middle of the park and until Richarlison came on toothless up front. So many misplaced passes and they offered no bite in the tackle. They looked like a team ready for a new manager and doing not much to stop that from happening.

I really enjoyed yesterday, but I feel we need to be wary of false dawns. Watford it a must get something game a draw at least otherwise it will just allow another relegation rival to pull further away from us. 
let’s see how those players you mentioned and that line up copes against a Watford team who will be busting a gut. 

Not a negative just a reality check that hopefully will be prove to wrong!