Sign in to follow this  
For the future

3 defenders at the back for tonight

27 minutes ago, For the future said:

What is going on at this club we need to win this game not lose with a heavy defeatĀ 

Think you've misunderstood what the formation means. The '3 at the back' simply refers to the 3 centre backs. There will also be 2 wingbacks, so it's really 5 at the back, and probably 9 at the back without the ball.Ā Despite other's protestation, it's a good shout for us and has worked previously.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, For the future said:

What is going on at this club we need to win this game not lose with a heavy defeatĀ 

So teams that play three at the back are not trying to win?Ā šŸ„“

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

Smith knows what he's doing, if he thinks 3 at then back will work ,he should try it.

But should he give the opposition the heads up?

Or.... is it a bluff?

I massively prefer two defensive midfielders. One of them can always drop between the centre backs if required. We typically get overrun in midfield so tightening up that area would be more prudent.

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I massively prefer two defensive midfielders.Ā 

If only we had two fit/effective defensive midfielders

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I love being famous

I don't find you irritating at all Cambridge.

Ā 

Saves me bothering with the Pinkun main page in fact.

Ā 

Ā 

I'm not sure how 3 at the back stops us from being able to win. Typically it's been the fact we're not very good rather than formation.

We need to create more chances and the midfield simply aren't good enough to do so; so using the wide areas more effectively is the only option we really have. We also have players who we know are capable in getting forward and supplying pressure from wide in Aarons and Giannoulis, but who are both suspect at getting back and defending. This seems like a very sensible move TBH.

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Krul

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Hanley Ā  Ā Kabak Ā  Ā  Gibson

Aarons Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Sorenson Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Giannoulis

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā McLean

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Placheta Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Rashica

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā PukkiĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

Bench: Gunn, Byram, Williams, Lees-Melou, Tzolis, Dowell, Cantwell, Idah

This won't happen of course, because DS seems to dislike Giannoulis for whatever reason; but I'd like to see it. If we're not going to go on the offensive we're going to get crushed yet again. Placheta, for his technical faults, offers paceĀ and unpredictability which we desperately need, so I'd gamble on him over Cantwell or Dowell.

Sargent probably needs to be left at Colney with someone who can explain to him technical concepts like what a football is and how to stand up.

Edited by andyc24_uk

I'm interested to see if Smith still sets us out high up the pitch with West ham able to hit us on the counter with Antonio. I can't face him scoring another bucket full of goals against us.Ā 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure how 3 at the back stops us from being able to win. Typically it's been the fact we're not very good rather than formation.

The only goal I can remember with 3 at the back was against Leeds.

We managed draws against Burnley and Brighton under Farke playing the 3, and I thought it looked promising.Ā  But in hindsight, they were games we should've stepped it up and took 3 points from at least one of them.

As you say, predominately it's us being sub standard - but we need to bringing out more creativity and attacking flair, playing 3 has shown statistically this season to cripple our ability to score.Ā  Unless you can think of another goal outside the Leeds one? - Oma being on the pitch a big plus there obviously!

Edited by Google Bot

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

We managed draws against Burnley and Brighton under Farke playing the 3, and I thought it looked promising.Ā  But in hindsight, they were games we should've stepped it up and took 3 points from at least one of them.

We had the chances in the Brighton game. We weren't clinical though, least said soonest mended and all that.

Importantly we didn't concede in either of those.

Just now, Thumbbass said:

Importantly we didn't concede in either of those.

We're discussing on whether it stops us from being able to win though, the defensive side of 3 of the back should have clear and obvious improvements defensively (minus the 7-0 vs Chelsea of course).

And I can't think of a single goal we've scored in and aroundĀ that formation other than the Leeds corner.Ā  Yes we drew two games that we could've won - but is that not demonstrating lack of attacking presence with the 3?!Ā Ā 

Almost playing devils advocate here, as I'm not against 3 at the back as a system, as agree that it doesn't mean you can't win or attack well.

However, in our case we need to be going at teams and giving it a go with our pacier, tricky players and exploiting space for Pukki.Ā  Playing 3 CB's so far has further dampened that for me.

Dean Smith - Playing the same formation, he will getĀ moaned at. Trying a different formation, it would appear, he gets moaned at. Selecting different players, He gets moaned at. Oh - For those new signings. Good Luck tonight Norwich. OTBC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, andyc24_uk said:

We need to create more chances and the midfield simply aren't good enough to do so; so using the wide areas more effectively is the only option we really have. We also have players who we know are capable in getting forward and supplying pressure from wide in Aarons and Giannoulis, but who are both suspect at getting back and defending. This seems like a very sensible move TBH.

Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Krul

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Hanley Ā  Ā Kabak Ā  Ā  Gibson

Aarons Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Sorenson Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Giannoulis

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā McLean

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Placheta Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Rashica

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā PukkiĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

Bench: Gunn, Byram, Williams, Lees-Melou, Tzolis, Dowell, Cantwell, Idah

This won't happen of course, because DS seems to dislike Giannoulis for whatever reason; but I'd like to see it. If we're not going to go on the offensive we're going to get crushed yet again. Placheta, for his technical faults, offers paceĀ and unpredictability which we desperately need, so I'd gamble on him over Cantwell or Dowell.

Sargent probably needs to be left at Colney with someone who can explain to him technical concepts like what a football is and how to stand up.

I think we saw an exampleĀ against Charlton of why two managers are hot andĀ cold on Giannoulis, he was woeful and Williams made a big difference. As a wing back though I think heā€™d be more effective.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I think we saw an exampleĀ against Charlton of why two managers are hot andĀ cold on Giannoulis, he was woeful and Williams made a big difference. As a wing back though I think heā€™d be more effective.

These two craze me a bit! They both seem to put in a blinding performance to win the shirt followed by an abysmal effort to lose it.

• Like 1

Thought the 2nd half at charlton provided a 'glimpse' on what might be a good pukki/rashica partnership

This formation might help that?

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Krul

Aarons Kabak Hanley Gibson Williams

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā Lees-MelouĀ  Sorenson McLean

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  RashicaĀ  Ā  Ā  Ā  Pukki

I think I would go a 343 variation - Dimi & Williams is the only question mark at the back, with Dimi a very marginal preference.Ā  Up front I would sit Rashica and Placheta off Pukki as our best chance of hitting on the break.

Ā 

That leaves the problem area of the two CMs,Ā  PLM, JS or KM;Ā  given a primarily defensive briefĀ I would say probably the latter two - but no combination fills with with confidence in their competence.Ā  PLM is the best going forward but poor defensively, KM simply out of his depth and JS pace is the achilles heel.Ā  Ā  An option could be to start Byram there;Ā  clearly still building match fitness but good in the air which seems to have been enough to keep kenny starting week in week out.Ā  Ā He can hardly be worse than the options given Rupp, Normann & Gilmours absence.