KiwiScot

*****Offical Lappinitup Match Thread*****

I would have taken a point before the game given the injuries.

But it was a poor performance and feels as though we've missed a fantastic opportunity.

The squad looks well short for this league; Gilmour, Sargent and Tzolis pretty hopeless. Webber has to take responsibility there.

Need to stay in contention until January so we can strengthen the midfield and striking department.

Just now, Samwam27 said:

I thought Idah looked far sharper and effective than Sargent did his entire game

Agreed. With more passive pressing, Sargent brought less to game than Idah. Of course they are very different players, so Idah suited better against their deep lying defense

A huge 2 points dropped, and a chance to get further away from Newcastle wasted. 

That was shambolic. It's games like that that can be season defining. 

To be fair, aside from Pukki we were missing 3 of our most talented players tonight. Assuming they were all fit and firing Cantwell, rashica and Normann would have made a huge difference this evening. Imagine what Newcastle would look like without a single player in Saint maximin. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Not happy. 

Why does Max always double back and slow us down?

We seem to have an aversion to putting the ball in the box.

Agree. I thought Max had been deliberately curtailed for defensive solidity, but he rarely got to the by-line tonight like we know he can. Number of times I was shouting f*cking cross it! Get it in the box!. Must be how they have been deliberately coached. Yes we're not the biggest up front, but how else do you get the ball in the net? Crossing is still the most effective way of scoring

We just lack options off the bench to change it. That said I think they got it wrong today leaving Sargent on. He’s an awful player who’s only role really is making us better at pressing. Once they were down to ten we didn’t need him on the pitch 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Plus point for me is another game where we didnt look like conceding in open play. Obviously against 10 men.

Should have won it in the end.

Agreed. Gibson looks a different player under this manager.

I do question why Dowell didn't get a look in though, he felt the most likely to either pick a pass through Newcastle or have a go from range.

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Bl**dy hell did Aarons cross once tonight. 

Blimey we're above Burnley

Dunno whats wrong with Max. Seems to have lost all confidence in going forward and final ball very poor. Against the better sides is always passing back to Krul.

Happy with a point, in the end, but the performance was dire. I think we do need to look at one or two positions carefully now. We have been given a second chance and need to use that to our advantage.

Pukki five out of eight. So we must get more of the ball to him and much quicker.

Just now, Bluefloyd said:

Assuming they were all fit and firing Cantwell, rashica and Normann would have made a huge difference this evening.

Agree, we really missed them tonight. Rupp and McLean are workhorses. Not what you need when you need to open a team up

Can we all just stop with the Billy Gilmour hype now please? Even in the last two games he was below the standard of our other midfielders and was absolutely rank tonight. He's just another Mortiz Leitner, he's never going to be a top PL player

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Agree. I thought Max had been deliberately curtailed for defensive solidity, but he rarely got to the by-line tonight like we know he can. Number of times I was shouting f*cking cross it! Get it in the box!. Must be how they have been deliberately coached. Yes we're not the biggest up front, but how else do you get the ball in the net? Crossing is still the most effective way of scoring

Low crosses into the box cause panic, should be a valuable tool in our arsenal.

Should not lose perspective though. We played badly, missing some key players snd we didn’t lose away at a relegation rival. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

I thought Idah looked far sharper and effective than Sargent did his entire game

Zero quality though, Couldn't hit a barn door.

Well...the positives?

Astonishingly good goal by Teemu. World class.

I think all the subs made a difference tbf.... Idah, Giannoulis and PLM (the latter might look back on that later and hold his head in his hands).

Interesting to see if Giannoulis keeps his place. Hardly a foot wrong.

Not to lose that match was at least a consolation. 

Good that Dean Smith is prepared to make subs at HT too. Like that.

Just now, The Great Mass Debater said:

I was just another day thinking two years back when Aarons really constantly gave trouble to defenses with his runs and dribbles. Something in Williams reminds me of that. Maybe he has grown experience and is now more solid defensively, but I think he has also lost lots of his magic due to that

No idea why we don't just pull the trigger a bit more. The conditions and scenario tonight were crying out for us to move the ball and hit it early and I'm not sure why we were so hesitant in the first half.

Also shows why Tzolis and Gilmour haven't featured as regularly as some want this season.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Happy with a point, in the end, but the performance was dire. I think we do need to look at one or two positions carefully now. We have been given a second chance and need to use that to our advantage.

Pukki five out of eight. So we must get more of the ball to him and much quicker.

Only thing keeping me happy is that we can still get a point despite playing so poor

Still we really need to find a way to become a bigger goal threat as you say..  Pretty sure anyone other Premier League player would have scored that chance Lees-Melou had!

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Agreed. Gibson looks a different player under this manager.

I do question why Dowell didn't get a look in though, he felt the most likely to either pick a pass through Newcastle or have a go from range.

Yeah Dowell would have been an option for me - also I know its early but Tzolis doesn't look anything special and I'm fairly certain Sargent for all his work and endeavour will never score a Premier League goal.

Should have put that chance away in stoppage time with the one-on-one with the keeper, as well as tried a better long-range shot in the 96th minute rather than just their keeper an easy catch.

Did not play well, but at least the run goes up to four games, something I never thought that would ever happen after the record breaking start we had.

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Should not lose perspective though. We played badly, missing some key players snd we didn’t lose away at a relegation rival. 

We failed to beat the bottom of the table team, who only had ten men.

Just now, king canary said:

Perhaps Smith doesnt quite know his players yet. But agree Dowell would be the man to provide the killer pass. Dont see enough from PLM, Rupp, McLean or even Gilmour in yellow to think they can provide the creativity we need and lost in selling Buendia,

That is the kind of game Buendia - or even Hernandez would have torn up.

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Can we all just stop with the Billy Gilmour hype now please? Even in the last two games he was below the standard of our other midfielders and was absolutely rank tonight. He's just another Mortiz Leitner, he's never going to be a top PL player

What utter tosh, wrong in every aspect (except the handball of course)

5 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

A huge 2 points dropped, and a chance to get further away from Newcastle wasted. 

That was shambolic. It's games like that that can be season defining. 

This and the Brighton game are the ones we will be rueing at the end of the season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I have been critical for him for most of the season, but I think that lots of it is due to having play so deep. He did look excellent when he had Normann to support him. I actually expect him to become really important in playmaking when we have Normann back