TIL 1010

Latest From Sky at 6.52pm.

18:52

BREAKING NEWS

Dean Smith will sign a two and a half year contract to become Norwich City’s manager later this evening.

Terms were agreed verbally earlier today, and all the legal necessities passed. 

Norwich are likely to confirm the deal in the next 24 hours, and the club’s bosses will stress that Smith was their first choice from the start of the process to identify Daniel Farke’s replacement.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

the club’s bosses will stress that Smith was their first choice from the start of the process to identify Daniel Farke’s replacement.

Was he available at start of the process 🤔 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

the club’s bosses will stress that Smith was their first choice from the start of the process to identify Daniel Farke’s replacement.

How so when he was still in a job..? I like how they've nipped that in there to try and quash some of the Frank rumours though, which is perhaps why he 'turned us down'.

1 minute ago, crab man said:

How so when he was still in a job..? I like how they've nipped that in there to try and quash some of the Frank rumours though, which is perhaps why he 'turned us down'.

If he was first choice, there's no doubt that we'd have known Villa planned to get rid. 

Don't buy it myself either, but it would also not surprise me.

5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

BREAKING NEWS

Dean Smith will sign a two and a half year contract to become Norwich City’s manager later this evening.

Norwich are likely to confirm the deal in the next 24 hours, and the club’s bosses will stress that Smith was their first choice from the start of the process to identify Daniel Farke’s replacement.

How ridiculous.  As if anyone, anywhere, given the pantomime, would believe this be first choice. 

• Like 2

Let's face it guys the club communications and PR have left a lot to be desired in recent times. A ridiculous thing for them to say as i would have thought that Webber would have started to look for DF's replacement on the Thursday he decided to get the board to pull the trigger not wait until DS got the heave ho at Villa last Sunday.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kingston Yellow said:

How ridiculous.  As if anyone, anywhere, given the pantomime, would believe this be first choice. 

The only ’pantomime’ has been Lampard/‘s team who seem to have a need to play everything out in the media….he really is a bullet dodged.

I do wonder about timing: I think I’m right that Villa played on Friday, it may well be that people in the game were aware what was going to happen re his sacking.

1 minute ago, mannings bandy legs said:

We'll never know,but would'nt be surprised if,given the connections within football,Webber was given the heads-up on the Dean Smith situation at Villa before Farke was sacked.

He's very close with Christian Purslow and Villa likely don't see us as a threat to their top half ambitions, it's not totally unreasonable to think he was given a heads up a day or so before it happened. 

Maybe Smith knew Saturday and had already made contact with Norwich, not out of the realms of possibility.

To be fair though if the decision to sack Farke was made Thursday, no way he was first on the list then.

16 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

, and the club’s bosses will stress that Smith was their first choice from the start of the process to identify Daniel Farke’s replacement.

Most of us weren't born yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Lampards a **** anyway. Never liked him as a player. Just a poor stevie g

Couldn't agree more. It'll be funny if he steps back into Gerrard's shadow again and gets the Rangers job....... And fails! 

• Like 2

Team sources:

Lampard wanted a 4 year contract in exchange for a guarantee he would stay if team is relegated.  Webber balked and Frank walked.

• Like 1

You know that you can appoint a manager even if they’re in a job dont you? 

villa just saved us a few million in compo 

30 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Lol stress he was 1st choice. We booted farke before he left vile 

When he became available he became first choice. It's not a difficult thing to understand. 

• Like 2

Wouldn't mind betting they knew Smith was a goner before Farke was sacked!

Not really bothered whether he was first, second or tenth choice, he's got the job and I'm optimistic he can do it well. Onwards and upwards. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Yobocop said:

You know that you can appoint a manager even if they’re in a job dont you? 

villa just saved us a few million in compo 

Yes the lifelong Aston Villa fan would have clearly wanted to leave his “dream job” to come and manage us had we came calling…

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'First choice from the start'

Bit odd given that he was still in a job when they fred Farke, but let's not get facts in the way

Start of the process. 

If they didn't start working out who to interview until after Smith had been sacked, then it is possible.  

Out of the frying pan and into the fire me thinks

And if he was first choice right from the start what does it say about our selection criteria?

Edited by Making Plans
  • Like 1

I’m right behind Smiffy .

But , come on, the day we sacked Farke there is no way a bloke managing one of our bottom 6 competitors was top of any list . 

I absolutely understand that he came to the top during the process . 

44 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

BREAKING NEWS

Seems like cantwell is happy with the news judging by his new Instagram post ‘Full of focus, believe me’ were his words. I would have upload the screen shot but I can’t seem to upload photos on here. Must be a good sign on his part and that he is ready to play again?? 

37 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The only ’pantomime’ has been Lampard/‘s team who seem to have a need to play everything out in the media….he really is a bullet dodged.

I do wonder about timing: I think I’m right that Villa played on Friday, it may well be that people in the game were aware what was going to happen re his sacking.

Are you seriously suggesting this was the planned outcome. Good grief. 

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I’m right behind Smiffy .

But , come on, the day we sacked Farke there is no way a bloke managing one of our bottom 6 competitors was top of any list . 

At last, someone who understands how these things work in business.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

because nobody else wanted it