Sign in to follow this  
pete

Onel where did it all go wrong

Watched Norwich City highlights from 2018/9 last night nothing on tv.  Needed reminding how good Onel was that season.  Full of trickery and goals was unplayable at times.  But ever since the season in the PL and this season he has looked pretty ineffective and failed to impress.  He had an injury in the PL and has never looked the same player and unless shows improvement is not worth a place in the PL squad.

From what I understand, he's been frustrated with the takeover of Argos by Sainsbury and had recently transferred to B&M, but I just don't think he's as happy there......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pete said:

Watched Norwich City highlights from 2018/9 last night nothing on tv.  Needed reminding how good Onel was that season.  Full of trickery and goals was unplayable at times.  But ever since the season in the PL and this season he has looked pretty ineffective and failed to impress.  He had an injury in the PL and has never looked the same player and unless shows improvement is not worth a place in the PL squad.

Do you mean the Onel Hernandez whom when he finally came back from injury looked by *far* and away our BEST player in those final Premier League games?

Good call, Pete - ship him out 🙄

• Like 2

Onel was the player I was perhaps most excited to see perform at Premier League level. I hope he finds his feet again because when firing on all cylindars Onel is one hell of a player.

I remember one game, cant remember the oppostion he came on as a sub I think, they were playing without a full back and it was just men against boys. Was it Wolves? Every attack the ball was given to Onel to wreak havoc

• Like 1

Hasn't done much this season largely due to injury. Shame because we don't really know what he will offer in which could be a really important role in the plan B/first sub position.

Agree with @Alex Moss Onel was one of the only players to escape that dreadful run in with any credit last season, my Everton supporting mates were very impressed with him in that 0-1 home loss towards the end of the season.

Its a shame he hasn’t featured more this time round as I expect him to be amongst the regular starters or at worst a reliable super-sub, obviously the injury set him back and then he found himself on the wrong side of Farke’s tight knit playing group that he likes to keep. I don’t honestly think he’s had much of a chance to do anything this season unfortunately as a result.

Maybe as a team we’ve moved on, with the inclusion of Dowell / Rupp as the no. 10, and Cantwell / Buendia also preferred pushed out on to the wings. But I do wonder how different the conversation would now be around Onel had he never been injured at all. I expect we’d have seen much much more from him.

Injury and the emergence of Cantwell predominantly. He was first choice left wing, now he's competing with Cantwell and Placheta. Just doesn't have the football brain of Cantwell but still think he can be effective from the bench towards the end of games

I am not sure he is what we require. A winger is not part of our system at the moment. Our two wide midfield players are the two most talented but hardly there to go past a full back and create havoc. Certainly Max does that job and I have high hopes for Dimitris to do the same.

I also don't think DF is likely to change our system even if we are parked in the bottom three.

But having said all that, he will be here next season and I hope he proves my theory totally wrong.

8 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am not sure he is what we require. A winger is not part of our system at the moment. Our two wide midfield players are the two most talented but hardly there to go past a full back and create havoc. Certainly Max does that job and I have high hopes for Dimitris to do the same.

I also don't think DF is likely to change our system even if we are parked in the bottom three.

But having said all that, he will be here next season and I hope he proves my theory totally wrong.

The system reflects the players Farke has, the rise of Cantwell changed the system. Before he forced his way into the team Fakre did want a winger on one side. 

I don’t agree with others that say Onel performed well in the Premier last time. Yes he has the ability to get past a defender but he pretty much always did nothing once he’d accomplished that. I think he can get away with the lack of vision in the Championship, but not in the Prem where he regularly gave the ball away or took shoots from ridiculous positions. He seems a prime candidate for an upgrade this summer. 

• Like 4

A bit similar to Stiepermann. Was great in our last promotion season, didn’t cut it in the top flight and hasn’t made an impression this season, although was behind Todd and Emi and did pick up a long term injury. Just like Stieps I think if an offer comes in for him I think we’d be happy to sell, but if we don’t I think he’ll be in the squad next season 

18 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don’t agree with others that say Onel performed well in the Premier last time. Yes he has the ability to get past a defender but he pretty much always did nothing once he’d accomplished that. I think he can get away with the lack of vision in the Championship, but not in the Prem where he regularly gave the ball away or took shoots from ridiculous positions. He seems a prime candidate for an upgrade this summer. 

Could not agree with this more.

17 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The system reflects the players Farke has, the rise of Cantwell changed the system. Before he forced his way into the team Fakre did want a winger on one side. 

Agreed. It’s a good story, the first Cuban player in the Premier League etc, but I don’t think he has the ability to get past top-class defenders and there is usually zero end product.

OMFG. Once again pete demonstrates he has his finger on the pulse...of a Norwegian Blue parrot.

His Eeyore-like observation and analysis is as incisive as a paper dildo. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don’t think he was particular great by any stretch, but he does deserve credit for being one of the only players who was still getting stuck in and still trying his upmost in those final 10 games. He was definitely our most dangerous outlet going forwards too during that period. Yes it didn’t lead to goals but damn we were so poor he did well with what rubbish he was served up with. I’d have expected him to have done well for us in the champs again this season, indeed at least as good as the last one where he got something like 8 goals and 9 assists. 

I don’t expect we will see too much of him next year however, think he will find himself behind Buendia, Cantwell, Dowell and another signing or maybe even Rupp for the wide spots. Don’t think we’ll see much of Placheta either but have to say I’d prefer Onel as the ‘kitchen sink’ type super sub over Placheta based on what I’ve seen this season. Surprised that Onel has found himself behind Placheta for much of it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

I don’t think he was particular great by any stretch, but he does deserve credit for being one of the only players who was still getting stuck in and still trying his upmost in those final 10 games. He was definitely our most dangerous outlet going forwards too during that period. Yes it didn’t lead to goals but damn we were so poor he did well with what rubbish he was served up with. I’d have expected him to have done well for us in the champs again this season, indeed at least as good as the last one where he got something like 8 goals and 9 assists. 

I don’t expect we will see too much of him next year however, think he will find himself behind Buendia, Cantwell, Dowell and another signing or maybe even Rupp for the wide spots. Don’t think we’ll see much of Placheta either but have to say I’d prefer Onel as the ‘kitchen sink’ type super sub over Placheta based on what I’ve seen this season. Surprised that Onel has found himself behind Placheta for much of it.

And if Cantwell and Buendia both move?

One thing I noticed is Onel seems to have bulked up a fair bit since he first joined and that for me is going to take away some of his speed which was one of his biggest assets. 

7 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

One thing I noticed is Onel seems to have bulked up a fair bit since he first joined and that for me is going to take away some of his speed which was one of his biggest assets. 

However, on the plus side he is now as strong as a (smallish) ox!

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

And if Cantwell and Buendia both move?

I don’t wish to consider this possibility.... but I’d imagine we’d look at bringing 2 new players in before promoting Hernandez (or Dowell) to first choice on the left or right. Otherwise we’d be going backwards (on paper at least) after promotion into a much tougher league.

Not sure it has gone wrong for him to be honest 

he’s always been a bit unpredictable but that’s part of his game and you’re not going to take that away from him 

5 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Agree with this. Injuries haven't helped him and he's barely had a run of games to develop his form/confidence. 

I find it interesting how a player's perceived impact can change when they're unavailable. 

He's certainly not as bad as most on here are making out. In the 18/19 season, he got 8 goals and 10 assists. Todd Cantwell has 6 goals and 7 assists this season, to put that in perspective.

Onel did fine in the PL. He isn't the best decision maker but he gives the other team something else to think about, as opposed to our technical players, who drift between the defence and midfield. He can carry the ball upfield, win corners and provides a bit of unpredictability.

Onel is every bit as enigmatic as he's always been. Worth keeping for his character and the fact that on his day his dribbling and directness can change a game. Isn't intelligent enough football wise to integrate into the system now Todd has redefined our left flank as others have said, but in my view his personality and that rare spark of his remain worth the price of admission at any level.

• Like 2

Made a great contribution to the 2018/19 title winning campaign with his great pace and character but gets injured too much and I don't think has enough quality for the Premiership. The away game at Wycombe where he missed a couple of decent chances is firm evidence that he is not good enough for the top flight.

I'd say hes one of the players we need an upgrade on.

14 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Agree, I think his spell post lockdown gets a bit overblown. We were so crap going forward at that point that Onel just running at players looked better than most of what we saw.

He's a useful player but his decision making is often awful, however I'm not sure upgrading our back up wingers is high up the priority list.

I'm afraid that if Norwich City are going to stand a chance of surviving in the Premier League then an upgrade of the entire squad is needed (5/6 players) let alone our back up wingers Hernandez and Placeta who are both not good enough for the top flight.

It's up to the management to get the best out of the players.  Maybe Onel can't improve and will then only be an impact sub. I love his work attitude but he really needs more game time. He really is settled in Norwich and his love for the club is very evident with his tattoo. I hope he does ok.

As for Placheta, he needs more confidence as has not met our expectations.  Often given the ball wide on the half way line only to pass it back instead of turning and out pacing the defence. Apparently he will be the 5th fastest player in the PL but sadly he never uses it. Is there more to come from him I wonder? 

We know what Onel can do, the goal v Man Utd, the disallowed goal v Man City,  the goal for Cuba. 

There is no point in time that a player becomes a bad player. The more traditional wingers (Onel, Placheta and Martin) didn't fit in with our style this season. Next season we are going to have to get the ball out of our half a lot quicker and this will suit the speedier players. Perhaps Buendia and/or Cantwell will not be here.