Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

I generally assume with these sorts of deals that most of the add ons will be tied up with Premier League survival which works perfectly for us.

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep, I was going to copy that in but suspected someone would beat me to it. Looking likely, especially with Agent Giannoulis probably whispering sweet nothings in his ear. Wouldn't need as much time to get integrated either - he's already clued up on how his compatriot plays.

Stand by for Jim, DCB, Fred, etc, to comment on how he is "unproven" in the PL.

2 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Stand by for Jim, DCB, Fred, etc, to comment on how he is "unproven" in the PL.

Well, technically he is unproven in the PL until he plays a season or thereabouts. I think that's half the fun though with new signings - we can get a good idea in pre-season friendlies but until the real bread-and-butter comes around, we won't know for absolute certain.

A lot of the concern is about replacing players who are essentially somewhat proven as we know their standard. We don't know that with the new lads, and at that point literally anything can happen. We can only hope everyone's done their due diligence and that we also get a bit of luck.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, technically he is unproven in the PL until he plays a season or thereabouts. I think that's half the fun though with new signings - we can get a good idea in pre-season friendlies but until the real bread-and-butter comes around, we won't know for absolute certain.

A lot of the concern is about replacing players who are essentially somewhat proven as we know their standard. We don't know that with the new lads, and at that point literally anything can happen. We can only hope everyone's done their due diligence and that we also get a bit of luck.

Indeed! Sort of like when a second tier Spanish league player replaced the rather marvellous Maddison. For the life of me I can't remember who that was, although I do believe he has moved on to pastures new so probably wasn't much cop.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Indeed! Sort of like when a second tier Spanish league player replaced the rather marvellous Maddison. For the life of me I can't remember who that was, although I do believe he has moved on to pastures new so probably wasn't much cop.

He disappeared off the face of the Earth IIRC. Or went to Birmingham, which is pretty much the same thing.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, FatCanary said:

Tzolis and one more CB will do me. I have faith in Lungi.

I don’t see that being enough personally. We need improvements and strength in depth in all areas. I think they’ll be looking at 4 signings minimum.

10 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not sure about this. Lees-Melou has played at a decent level and has good experience. Gilmour has also played games in the Prem and other competitions, even at his young age. 

As for Tzolis, a slightly unknown quantity as we know. However the signs are good, in terms of his ability and value at this young age. I think he has the tenacity to do well. He does remind me of Emi in that way. Looks like he never wants to lose, highly competitive, good on and off the ball. I think it'll prove to be a good signing. 

3 hours ago, chicken said:

If you take pens out of the equation, Ivan Toney's goal tally is considerably less. If anyone swoops for him, I doubt they'll mind that.

Perhaps that's why no-one has

6 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Not sure about this. Lees-Melou has played at a decent level and has good experience. Gilmour has also played games in the Prem and other competitions, even at his young age. 

As for Tzolis, a slightly unknown quantity as we know. However the signs are good, in terms of his ability and value at this young age. I think he has the tenacity to do well. He does remind me of Emi in that way. Looks like he never wants to lose, highly competitive, good on and off the ball. I think it'll prove to be a good signing. 

There have been plenty of very good players who never quite settled into the PL though but were excellent elsewhere - not necessarily due to ability, just that their skillset didn't quite thrive as much. Totally agree that Lees-Melou comes with pedigree and experience and - should - do well, but until he's definitively done it on a PL pitch, there's still that faint chance he may not.

Playing the percentages, I do think you're probably right though.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I presume that higher ranked teams are playing a waiting game for Toney? As in, see how he shapes up and possibly go for him at a later date, and see where Brentford are in the League also, to decide?

14 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

He's also not that good technically in the build up.

Clearly knows how to score but you have to question how many of the chances he got in the Champs will he get in the PL.

Obvious point but the PL defences don't give anywhere near as much space or time.

2 hours ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Can we get back on track and get Tzolis, Harit, Skipp, in the building and forget about Armstrong.

Danjuma/Pereira would just about top it off and complete a good window.😁

Pereira's move to a team in the Saudi league looks all but confirmed 

26 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I presume that higher ranked teams are playing a waiting game for Toney? As in, see how he shapes up and possibly go for him at a later date, and see where Brentford are in the League also, to decide?

Given the amount that Brentford are likely to want for him, I guess they like to see him tested in the Premier League first. There is no guarantee that he will make the step up.

No idea where Alan Nixon got his source from but plainly not from Norfolk, with the timing of the rumour about Armstrong coming so soon after Villa signing Ings, likely some mischievous Lancastrian who normally sources Rovers related guff. Its  been made clear  at least, City had interest early in the window but realised Blackburn would not shift from their 20 mill +, hence City dropped their interest in Armstrong  and moved on. Knowing Webber's quiet way of  doing negotiations City have likely identified other striker targets for some time and ones far removed from a 20 mill price tag, we were never going to buy any striker anywhere near that amount.

Looks like the Tzolis story is nearing its completion hopefully, also expecting the Cantwell move to be done pretty quickly to soon , the way Villa move and act has been the most significant feature of this transfer window...unless they are after Ward Prowse that is..who knows.

But its still offers, nothing accepted. We are no closer, just offering more money. We could be closer in 2 weeks time as well, offering a little more than before. Just put him in Yellow already!

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Friday: As an overall figure, yes, I suspect probably so. But PAOK might be holding out for more than €8m as a basic fee (I would) or if not then firming up the likelihood/certainty of the €3m in add-ons.

-

The Southwell story is talking about a €12m package rather than the €11m mentioned before.

This gives the lie to the claim that we never upgrade our bids. We will, if we think it worth it. Unlike with Ajer. And if the report out of Greece is true we have had to increase the basic fee, up to €10m, with €2m of add-ons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.598ee438577d1693ffdc7fb8c97c95ff.jpeg

Being reported by some on the Greek/Turkish side that the new offer has been rejected. 

Jeez, that is a bit surprising if indeed our bid was genuine. Could be PAOK playing silly ****s if they anticipate we’re selling Todd for a bomb and have increased their asking price further. And if that was the case I can’t see Webber playing ball and that’s us walking away. 

3 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

Being reported by some on the Greek/Turkish side that the new offer has been rejected. 

Are we ever going to be able to spend the Buendia money?!

This is why we shouldn't sell Todd. There's zero guarantee that we'll be able to replace him.

Surely somewhere in the discussions they’ve had we must have been given an idea of the £££ they want, particularly if we’ve already had bids knocked back.  There certainly doesn’t seem any likelihood we’ll get anywhere near to bidding 20m if that’s what they want, so this does feel a bit out of kilter. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

9 minutes ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

This doesn't seem very credible and is different to pretty much all the Greek journalists views, which is the latest offer should be enough to seal the deal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hoolahoop14 said:

I think you’re being unnecessarily harsh on Paddy there. I think his coverage is more than fair and is only negative when it’s right to be negative (for example, the Project Restart period where we were completely and utterly hopeless). It’s easy to paint someone as being “anti-project” and “negative”, but in reality they’re actually just non-biased towards the club and seeing things without yellow and green tinted glasses on, which I would argue some of the other correspondents let get in the way of accurate and fair reporting (a certain Mr. Bailey is often guilty of this). 

The TNC boys I do struggle with at times, and whilst I appreciate their enthusiasm and what they’ve done for the younger side of our fanbase, they can be quite reactionary and perhaps naive with some of the things they come out with.

I think Paddy has done lots of good work, and I include his latest #nocircus 😉

As have the TNC lads.

However:

I think the stuff around Project Restart veered towards vitriol. It was pathetic. They warned us we would give it a go and probably finish bottom as we weren't gonna spend any money. The restart was embarrassing, but we had yet more injuries and this young team, including Farke in managerial terms, deserved far better than it got from its local media. The greatest custodians the club has ever had and some of the stuff that was coming out was essentially bile.

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This doesn't seem very credible and is different to pretty much all the Greek journalists views, which is the latest offer should be enough to seal the deal.

The quoted journalist hasn't said anything about a rejection, just that there's been a new bid. This one will get done.

Greavsy disclaimer: barring any late hitches

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Surely somewhere in the discussions they’ve had we must have been given an idea of the £££ they want, particularly if we’ve already had bids knocked back.  There doesn’t seem any likelihood we’ll get anywhere near 20m.

That €20m probably includes his wages over at least 4-5 years as that's the way calculations usually work in Europe. The wages have been estimated at around €1.5m pa which would be €6-7.5m of the €20m quoted, so we could be closer than it looks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FatCanary said:

The quoted journalist hasn't said anything about a rejection, just that there's been a new bid. This one will get done.

Greavsy disclaimer: barring any late hitches

PAOK apparently valued him at €20m in January, so think this guy is still assuming that is their valuation still.

It is why there were a lot of "Dortmund and Man U want £17m rated player" in connection to Tzolis. If they still wanted that kind of money, Norwich wouldn't be making a third bid.

• Thanks 1