Petriix

Taking the knee

I couldn't see a thread about this very important (and very much on-topic) issue so I thought I'd create one.

I just wanted to publicly show my support for the Norwich City players continuing to take the knee to show their desire for racial equality. I'm proud to support a club in continuing to perform this important gesture until such time as the players themselves think it no longer relevant.

I would be deeply ashamed if any Norwich supporters behaved like those Millwall thugs who have rightly been widely condemned for their outrageous and clearly racist behaviour. It shows that the act of taking the knee is still just as important as ever.

OTBC

• Like 6

It's kind of gone under the radar but some Colchester fans also booed players taking the knee. The chairman has come out and said that any fan who boos during the gesture isn't welcome at Colchester. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

It's kind of gone under the radar but some Colchester fans also booed players taking the knee. The chairman has come out and said that any fan who boos during the gesture isn't welcome at Colchester. 

Could have sworn I heard a few low key boos at spurs v arsenal yesterday, then the mics were switched or summat. Oops ,should I have posted this in non football as it kinda is football related, but not footy as such. I'm sure someone will tell me .

It's ok for players to take the knee if they want to that is all there is to it.  If anyone disagrees then they should at least allow those that do want to show support to do so respectfully and without abuse. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

It's ok for players to take the knee if they want to that is all there is to it.  If anyone disagrees then they should at least allow those that do want to show support to do so respectfully and without abuse. 

There's a difference between wanting to and being forced to do it to suit an agenda.

Just now, jaywick_canery said:

It's time it was ditched or we all agree to wear a poppy 365 days of the year.

With Feb 29th  every four years to be called James McLean day.

Agreed that our players should (if they chose to) continue to take the knee, without judgement, until a better alternative is found that doesn't have any links to BLM politics and whatnot

I wouldn;t boo it but i think its maybe time to draw a line under it at the start of every game (not least as now this incident will Millwall has happened sides and views may become entrenched and I think we will see more incidents) and I can certainly understand fans who would prefer the game not to become politicised in this way.

I wholeheartedly support any anti racism or anti-discrimination campaign in football but BLM is in itself a policitical organisation with some fairly radical aims. I'm not sure all of those who take the knee or who slag of those who don;t fully appreciate some of the details of the BLM organisation. i'm sure also there are a fair few players who would probably prefer not to have to do it but feel compelled to do so due to the public flogging they will get if they don't. 

• Like 3

Just now, alex_ncfc said:

There's a difference between wanting to and being forced to do it to suit an agenda.

Err.....who is forcing it?  It has been agreed by players and clubs as a whole. If they want to stop it, then they have to decide collectively that it can stop. It still means something and people know what it means, but it does no harm to anyone so there is no reason to boo it or try and undermine it. 

Those that booed are the ones with the agenda, not the collective support shown by players and clubs for something very important in the world - that inequality and racism are not going to be tolerated. Those that disagree with that, whether they are from Millwall or Spurs or wherever, are the ones with the problem and should be shown the door of their clubs and banned for good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Err.....who is forcing it?  It has been agreed by players and clubs as a whole. If they want to stop it, then they have to decide collectively that it can stop. It still means something and people know what it means, but it does no harm to anyone so there is no reason to boo it or try and undermine it. 

Those that booed are the ones with the agenda, not the collective support shown by players and clubs for something very important in the world - that inequality and racism are not going to be tolerated. Those that disagree with that, whether they are from Millwall or Spurs or wherever, are the ones with the problem and should be shown the door of their clubs and banned for good.

And just image the massive virtual signalling backlash against any player who chooses not to do it?

On this one the naive football powers have allowed woke merchants to grab the game by the gonads.

• Like 4

Time to call it a day, players now going through the ritual also fed up with the BBC explaining the reason prior to every game on MOTD

All lives matter full stop 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I couldn't see a thread about this very important (and very much on-topic) issue so I thought I'd create one.

I just wanted to publicly show my support for the Norwich City players continuing to take the knee to show their desire for racial equality. I'm proud to support a club in continuing to perform this important gesture until such time as the players themselves think it no longer relevant.

I would be deeply ashamed if any Norwich supporters behaved like those Millwall thugs who have rightly been widely condemned for their outrageous and clearly racist behaviour. It shows that the act of taking the knee is still just as important as ever.

OTBC

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be a football supporter. The obviously racist booing and jeering shows that the protest is still very much necessary and relevant.

If anyone on here feels the slightest shred of support for this kind of behaviour then I very much hope that you keep your anachronistic views to yourself and don't shame the rest of us with anything similar.

The above is what Petriix contributed to the original thread that was re-located to non-football. Petriix the poster features on Page 3 of the Millwall booing thread......

17 minutes ago, jaywick_canery said:

And just image the massive virtual signalling backlash against any player who chooses not to do it?

QPR haven't been doing it as a club since September and a big deal wasn't made of it

Edited by seanthecanary

I do wonder when the actual pre match knee take will stop. As in, how / who will organise it to stop. 

If it happens every game then it will loose it poignancy. 

I get that the issue isn't solved, but taking a knee was only to raise awareness and shoe support. Which it has done.

Having said that,The booing is just disrespectful whichever way you cut it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Sometimes I'm ashamed to be a football supporter. The obviously racist booing and jeering shows that the protest is still very much necessary and relevant.

If anyone on here feels the slightest shred of support for this kind of behaviour then I very much hope that you keep your anachronistic views to yourself and don't shame the rest of us with anything similar.

The above is what Petriix contributed to the original thread that was re-located to non-football. Petriix the poster features on Page 3 of the Millwall booing thread......

Question - would Mello Yello recognise irony if it slapped him/her in the face. The jury is out.................

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

I wouldn;t boo it but i think its maybe time to draw a line under it at the start of every game (not least as now this incident will Millwall has happened sides and views may become entrenched and I think we will see more incidents) and I can certainly understand fans who would prefer the game not to become politicised in this way.

Interesting you say that, when the players knelt in the Spurs game yesterday they were greeted with raptures of applause, I think the level of the support for the knee will go up now - in spite of those horrible Millwall fans. I can't see many sets of supporters joining in with the booing at all, and even if a small minority do I expect those will be drowned out by the overwhelming majority.

Maybe then it would be better to introduce a new action to show solidarity - without any political connotation?

However I have absolutely no doubt that some people will again do the necessary mental gymnastics they need to in order to justifying rejecting the new show of solidarity. It will get smeared with something else and then all the closet racists will jump on board!

At the end of the day I support taking the knee as an anti-racism action, that's why the players are doing it. It is easy for me to separate this from some political campaign for defunding the police or communism or whatever rubbish those Millwall fans would try to tell you.

I would seriously love to hear the justification from every one of those booing Millwall fans for why they did it.

Their actions have given rise to some really reasonable / credible discussion on here in that other thread, but Jesus Christ those Millwall fans do not deserve any of that. I refuse to believe any of their opinions could that nuanced on the subject, they're just pure scum - there's nothing else to it.

• Like 1

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

Question - would Mello Yello recognise irony if it slapped him/her in the face. The jury is out.................

Just finished irony now doing the hoovering.....and in you leap like a pile o' dust and up into Henry you go...... 

7 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Just finished irony now doing the hoovering.....and in you leap like a pile o' dust and up into Henry you go...... 

It's nice and warm and cosy in here - not too keen on the spiders though.............

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

It's nice and warm and cosy in here - not too keen on the spiders though.............

They're from Mars.....

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I wholeheartedly support any anti racism or anti-discrimination campaign in football but BLM is in itself a policitical organisation with some fairly radical aims. I'm not sure all of those who take the knee or who slag of those who don;t fully appreciate some of the details of the BLM organisation. i'm sure also there are a fair few players who would probably prefer not to have to do it but feel compelled to do so due to the public flogging they will get if they don't. 

This is explicitly not in support of the BLM "organisation", it's a general anti-discriminatory statement that black lives matter as much as any other.

There is a fairly influential social media effort to try and conflate the two, and also to depict this simple anti-racist gesture as an endorsement of Marxism etc. 

• Like 3

Pete, you know what to do. The containment board has been very successful and this one should go there too. This thread is a deliberate attempt to mess up the Norwich city discussion by a Luton fan.

833B6A13-73D6-44FF-9826-B6E2DA5C9A89.png

20 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

QPR haven't been doing it as a club since September and a big deal wasn't made of it

I'm pretty sure we didn't do it before a recent game - was it at Luton or maybe Stoke?

2 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

This is explicitly not in support of the BLM "organisation", it's a general anti-discriminatory statement that black lives matter as much as any other.

There is a fairly influential social media effort to try and conflate the two, and also to depict this simple anti-racist gesture as an endorsement of Marxism etc. 

Its not though is it. Thats the point - its not social media conflating the two. The BLM movement has been deliberately framed from the outset so some of the more radical elements are hiding in plain sight as part of an anti racism movement, the latter of course being a cause that few could have any issue with. They even flash up the Black Lives Matter logo during premier league games and highlights shows. Many who went on Black Lives Matter marches were, I'm sure, just protesting about racism generally but as with all causes they can be hi-jacked by those with more radical views. 

If you want an explicit statement which is deliberately divorced from the political side of the BLM movement then football should come up with its own gestures/campaigns much as it always has done in the past with campaigns such as "kick it out."

I will agree though that it was powerful when they first did it during that live game and nobody knew it was coming. 

7 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I'm pretty sure we didn't do it before a recent game - was it at Luton or maybe Stoke?

Placheta forgot to do it in one game didn;t he? Kicked off then realised he had forgotten!

10 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Pete, you know what to do. The containment board has been very successful and this one should go there too. This thread is a deliberate attempt to mess up the Norwich city discussion by a Luton fan.

No one else seems to be bothered by it being on here, why are you so keen to tuck it away?

• Like 1

It’s very simple. Taking the knee, which was around before BLM (small detail but hey ho), should be respected for the sole nature of which the act is intended - the condemnation and awareness of racism. I’m not buying the bullshoite on here where people pretend they can’t recognise that, and are trying to make it a political issue just to suit their (not very) closet agenda. They can. So that leaves no other conclusion unfortunately. 

• Like 5