Petriix

Taking the knee

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It’s very simple. Taking the knee, which was around before BLM (small detail but hey ho), should be respected for the sole nature of which the act is intended - the condemnation and awareness of racism. I’m not buying the bullshoite on here where people pretend they can’t recognise that, and are trying to make it a political issue just to suit their (not very) closet agenda. They can. So that leaves no other conclusion unfortunately. 

Aye, I think some are trying to make it far more complicated and political than it actually is. Not sure why.😉

Here is Robbie Cowling's statement and I feel it lays it out simply so everyone can understand the motivation behind it.

https://www.cu-fc.com/news/2020/december/club-statement/

"Our club supports the players and their choice to take the knee for a few seconds before every game.

Callum Harriot described the purpose of the gesture perfectly to me explaining that taking the knee dates back to early civil rights movements as a way of silently showing solidarity in support of political inequalities suffered by oppressed communities.

Those that take the knee want to highlight that all lives should be valued and should not be treated inhumanely or inferior to others just because of their race."

1 minute ago, Herman said:

Aye, I think some are trying to make it far more complicated and political than it actually is. Not sure why.😉

Out of likes, but EXACTLY THIS ⬆️, Herman.

Their true motive fools nobody, but once they out themselves at Carrow Rd, I would fully expect our club to follow Robbie Cowling’s lead.

I think it’s all great to raise awareness, but to continue will lose its focus. Gestures are all well and good but it’s continuing to educate tolerance and values into society which needs more direct action from all on the terraces to ensure any such racial actions or voices are silenced quickly with appropriate action.

Unfortunately the modern world appears to be going into self nationalism instead of unity and open cultural learning! I’d pretty much expect those nationalist brexiteers to be the ones booing!

19 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I wonder if Arrdee ever considered taking the knee? Who remembers?

Well he was the lovely Ray Ducker, not Ray Cist - 2 completely opposite ends of the spectrum as you know, Squit : )

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

There's a difference between wanting to and being forced to do it to suit an agenda.

Exactly this.

If you want to fine, if you do t want to, also fine. Our amazing British media should put more effort into seeking out why people might not want to see rather than making the usual assumptions.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Err.....who is forcing it?  It has been agreed by players and clubs as a whole. If they want to stop it, then they have to decide collectively that it can stop. It still means something and people know what it means, but it does no harm to anyone so there is no reason to boo it or try and undermine it. 

Those that booed are the ones with the agenda, not the collective support shown by players and clubs for something very important in the world - that inequality and racism are not going to be tolerated. Those that disagree with that, whether they are from Millwall or Spurs or wherever, are the ones with the problem and should be shown the door of their clubs and banned for good.

Are you really that naive? Imagine the outcry if one player refused to "take a knee", the media would come down on them like a tonne of bricks and try to destroy their career without even contemplating that they may have their own reasons for not doing it. If you don't think the players have been forced to do this by the various football associations and lefty media pressure, then you really are deluded. It's basically akin to nobody being allowed to think for themselves now for fear of the inevitable backlash - such as the morons accusing anyone against the "taking a knee" of being racist.

Edited by alex_ncfc

6 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Exactly this.

If you want to fine, if you do t want to, also fine. Our amazing British media should put more effort into seeking out why people might not want to see rather than making the usual assumptions.

If a player doesn't feel they want to do it they don't have to, but I'd hope they'd be prepared to make a convincing case for why not to their fellow players.

Just now, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

If a player doesn't feel they want to do it they don't have to, but I'd hope they'd be prepared to make a convincing case for why not to their fellow players.

It's literally nobody elses business if a player doesn't want to do it. And yet apparently this isn't forced upon the players 😂

10 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Exactly this.

Our amazing British media is in no small part responsible for the emboldening of certain "old-fashioned" viewpoints.

1 minute ago, alex_ncfc said:

It's literally nobody elses business if a player doesn't want to do it. And yet apparently this isn't forced upon the players 😂

Not 100% sure what your point is. Are you saying that some players don't want to and are being bullied into it?

58 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

No one else seems to be bothered by it being on here, why are you so keen to tuck it away?

Have you got something to say little lad?

12 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Have you got something to say little lad?

"Little lad", very good. Just wondering why you're repeatedly urging for this topic (which is fairly obviously football related) to be tucked out of sight. Infer from that what you will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaywick_canery said:

And just image the massive virtual signalling backlash against any player who chooses not to do it?

On this one the naive football powers have allowed woke merchants to grab the game by the gonads.

Wear a Poppy , dont wear a Poppy, I don't  care, just dont disrespect  what it represents.  I thought my james mcclean thing was funny, no  way was it virtue signalling , I'm much to nasty for that.

36 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Why would they need to “make a case”? Why can’t they just have the free choice to either take part or not with no questions asked either way? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Are you really that naive? Imagine the outcry if one player refused to "take a knee", the media would come down on them like a tonne of bricks and try to destroy their career without even contemplating that they may have their own reasons for not doing it. If you don't think the players have been forced to do this by the various football associations and lefty media pressure, then you really are deluded. It's basically akin to nobody being allowed to think for themselves now for fear of the inevitable backlash - such as the morons accusing anyone against the "taking a knee" of being racist.

Again, QPR as a club have not been taking knee since September and no one has accused anyone of racism. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Why would they need to “make a case”? Why can’t they just have the free choice to either take part or not with no questions asked either way? 

Interesting that James McLean came up in the thread, I'm sure he'd agree.

53 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

I suppose you could call Lakey deluded if it wasn’t for the minor fact that QPR have been refusing to take the knee for some time, which kind of suggests that nobody is being *forced* to do it...

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I wouldn;t boo it but i think its maybe time to draw a line under it at the start of every game (not least as now this incident will Millwall has happened sides and views may become entrenched and I think we will see more incidents) and I can certainly understand fans who would prefer the game not to become politicised in this way.

I wholeheartedly support any anti racism or anti-discrimination campaign in football but BLM is in itself a policitical organisation with some fairly radical aims. I'm not sure all of those who take the knee or who slag of those who don;t fully appreciate some of the details of the BLM organisation. i'm sure also there are a fair few players who would probably prefer not to have to do it but feel compelled to do so due to the public flogging they will get if they don't. 

I think that it should be down to our black players to decide and if they wish to carry on, we as fans should support them. BLM has a minority of extremists just as the conservative and other parties have. Their views are radical only to those of a right wing leaning bias. IMO of course.

5 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Interesting that James McLean came up in the thread, I'm sure he'd agree.

You’ve lost me there I’m afraid 

2 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

It's kind of gone under the radar but some Colchester fans also booed players taking the knee. The chairman has come out and said that any fan who boos during the gesture isn't welcome at Colchester. 

I'm surprised Colchester United can afford to be choosy about who goes to their ground in the middle of no-where. Last time I went there with a fellow Luton Town supporting mate he creased me up when he said, having seen the place for the first time, and I quote:  "****ing dead and alive place in the middle of ****ing no-where, you park on the other side of A12 at a park and ride then, to get to the ground you've two choices, (1)  walk halfway to ****ing Clacton before crossing a bridge over the A12 and then walk half a bloody mile back the way you've just come from to reach the ground or (2) risk your life crossing the ****ing four lane road and then climb over wooden fences to cross bleeding muddy fields to get there. Hope we get promotion cause I never want to have to come to this ****ing hole again."

The way he said it was so funny but sadly he was spot on.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

I'm surprised we haven't put a statement out yet. 

"Take the bloody knee or I kick you in the nuts."

Statement from a certain D. Smith.

2 minutes ago, Spix said:

I'm surprised Colchester United can afford to be choosy about who goes to their ground in the middle of no-where. Last time I went there with a fellow Luton Town supporting mate he creased me up when he said, having seen the place for the first time, and I quote:  "****ing dead and alive place in the middle of ****ing no-where, you park on the other side of A12 at a park and ride then, to get to the ground you've two choices, (1)  walk halfway to ****ing Clacton before crossing a bridge over the A12 and then walk half a bloody mile back the way you've just come from to reach the ground or (2) risk your life crossing the ****ing four lane road and then climb over wooden fences to cross bleeding muddy fields to get there. Hope we get promotion cause I never want to have to come to this ****ing hole again."

The way he said it was so funny but sadly he was spot on.

I really don’t think as a supporter of Luton that you’re in a position to criticise utter sh1tholes.

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Haha 4

The people that boo the "kneel" and think football should not be political are probably the ones that boo McLean for not wearing a poppy... More should not be political when it doesn't suit their views... I always thought my Grandad died in the second world war to allow for the likes of McLean to do what he wanted within the law. I always wear the poppy myself.

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

I really don’t think as a supporter of Luton that you’re in a position to criticise utter sh1tholes.

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone with an ego the size of the Mersey Tunnel would come up with that. Difference is that Kenilworth Road is in the community that the club represents, i.e. Luton. Ironically the laughingly named Community Stadium is no-where near the community it represents, i.e. Colchester.

Whilst KR is shabby and past it's sell by date and has been for a long time at least it looks like a proper football ground as opposed to a quickly assembled maccano set placed in the middle of a field surrounded by nothing other than a fast trunk road encouraging everyone to drive past it rather than to go to it.

12 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I suppose you could call Lakey deluded if it wasn’t for the minor fact that QPR have been refusing to take the knee for some time, which kind of suggests that nobody is being *forced* to do it...

Does that mean all QPR players are being “forced” not to

If that isnt the case wouldn’t you think one or two might continue to do it

2 minutes ago, Spix said:

I knew it wouldn't take long for someone with an ego the size of the Mersey Tunnel would come up with that. Difference is that Kenilworth Road is in the community that the club represents, i.e. Luton. Ironically the laughingly named Community Stadium is no-where near the community it represents, i.e. Colchester.

Whilst KR is shabby and past it's sell by date and has been for a long time at least it looks like a proper football ground as opposed to a quickly assembled maccano set placed in the middle of a field surrounded by nothing other than a fast trunk road encouraging everyone to drive past it rather than to go to it.

Why doesn’t it have floodlights that work

Just now, city4eva said:

Why doesn’t it have floodlights that work

It does and they do or are you not aware that the game last Wednesday went ahead? In case you hadn't noticed, Luton won 3-1.