Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Short memories

The team gave it a good go up until lockdown. We’d played at times some great stuff and on many occasions the gap in quality was too much. I’ve no problem with that, we gave it our all and unfortunately we were not good enough to bridge the gap. What I do have a problem with is the unacceptable performances we have put in post lockdown. If we take the post lockdown morale and performances into next season then we’ve no chance of troubling the top 6, pre lockdown performances will see us as contenders 

• Like 1

This season I will remember that from the onset of our campaign on Friday August 9th 2019 until Saturday March 7th 2020 we loyal fans 'could go' and we were allowed inside all football stadiums to support our teams. That's almost 8 of this 10 month season we were allowed inside the stadiums to cheer, verbally motivate, applaud and give our 12th man support - but even so, we frustratingly and annoyingly found ourselves bottom of the Premiership.....When the pandemic clamp down arrived, unfortunately we were still bottom of the Premiership.....Although now restricted to playing behind closed doors but watching our televised games, we've witnessed no-shows, capitulation, poor shows and abject 'little boy lost' performances.....With one difficult game left to play - we are still bottom of the league and unfortunately relegated with a few horrendous statistics and some really unwanted NCFC records; the lowest points, 8 straight defeats etc which all are unfortunately being broken......(Hopefully though, the record for most goals conceded in a Premiership game isn't going to be the final unwanted statistic?)..... 

I'll also probably remember our coach 'Daniel' and our DoF 'Webbo' and one or two notable players and including those terms, 'self-funding club,' 'the project' and that 'top 26 target'. I'll just about remember our brief dalliance in the 2019/20 Premiership and maybe remember just 5 league wins, (6 if we do the double over Man City)....I'll never forget that superb Man City Victory at Carrow Road and our Mr Pukki initially on fire & scoring a hat-trick against Newcastle....I'll vaguely recall the decent cup game runs.....Oh and I'll most definitely remember Covid-19, VAR and taking the knee....

It's sadly been our World's and Norwich City's 'Annus Horribilis'.....and it's one I'll unfortunately remember.....but actually, I really wish I could forget.....

Here's to an NCFC 2020/21 Championship 'Annus Mirabilis'.....

My long memory takes into account many disappointments - but the abject performances and expectancy of losing is very unusual. 

I’m a football man and always have been. I’m a Norwich fan and always have been. But this feeling of detachment from Football and the Club is a new one . 

Still the season ticket rolls on and I’ll be there when we are allowed to be again. 

13 minutes ago, JF said:

The team gave it a good go up until lockdown. We’d played at times some great stuff and on many occasions the gap in quality was too much. I’ve no problem with that, we gave it our all and unfortunately we were not good enough to bridge the gap. What I do have a problem with is the unacceptable performances we have put in post lockdown. If we take the post lockdown morale and performances into next season then we’ve no chance of troubling the top 6, pre lockdown performances will see us as contenders 

Completely fair post. I was saying elsewhere had the season ended pre-lockdown it still would have been bottom but the recent FA Cup wins over Burnley and Spurs, plus beating Bournemouth and Leicester at home meant the fan perception was a lot more positive than it is now.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I can’t read all of that but I assume  it’s a moan about people moaning. I imagine  it’s raining in Cumbria. 

It never rains in LDCs world. It is God crying with happiness because Norwich played well a year ago.

• Haha 2

Seems to be you with a short memory Lakey.

Many had allowed for this eventuality however along you came and chastised us as we were negative. We were capable you told us of coming in the top 4. When we said what will be will be and we were going to enjoy the premiership you told us we shouldn’t as only victory mattered. Clearly unlike Sheffield United you told us we had to play the Farke way. You told us we kept the ball better than Man City. We told you that would see us being torn apart and learning to set up to stop the opposition would be vital, but no you chastised us again saying the Farke way is the only way. You criticised Farke selection over the last weeks proclaiming Vrancic as the new Messi. Our problem was how light weight we were and slow, you wanted to add to it.

Had lockdown not have happened I am sure we would have battled to the end and yesterday’s game would have seen the players lap of honour, which would have seen the players applauded for their efforts and fans and players alike ready for the next challenge. But something happened in lockdown. I have no idea what it was, maybe it was some of our players getting tapped up ( would’ve been much easier in lockdown ), maybe it was not getting fit enough, maybe it was just resigning ourselves to the situation or maybe god forbid the players strangely lost faith with Farke, or my favourite a number of them were told they were not getting their dream move and sulked. Whatever it was like it or not it changed the whole outcome of where we are. From having a squad ready to go, it now seems we will have to build again. From a team that had confidence to play their way we have a squad shot to pieces. I wonder how the hell this can be turned around in 7 weeks ?. If it was something about the lack of fans in the stadium, well that will not change for a long time yet. 
Can we rebuild either a team or confidence in 7 weeks ? I would like to think so but I just cannot see how. Do I want Farke sacked, absolutely not, but I have to question is he the problem ? And if he is that changes things. For me Hanley and Zimmermann wouldn’t have kept us up, but will be well good enough in the Championship. Can this all be turned around ? Who knows ? Farke brief I don’t believe was to keep us up but to develop players. So did he fail ? Possibly not as we have a multi million pound array of talent, however what happened over the last few weeks has changed everything. 

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

What lessons can you see that he's learnt from last season perhaps?

Honestly. nothing yet.  It's fine not being great defensively when you are capable of scoring 2,3,4 goals in the Championship to win games.  That was never likely to happen this season though and proved the case.

I think it will be interesting to see if he does tweak or change the style next season.  In his first season he was happy to play 5 at the back.  While I'm not going to accept that injuries were the main reason we got relegated, they did at the very least limit his ability to change from a defensive 4 to a 5.  Lets be honest, we lack options in the squad that allow us to play differently and in all honesty I don't think Farke or Webber want the way play to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JF said:

I think this probably sums up my feelings.  Despite us being in relegation battle all season, I was still seeing things that made me feel positive about next season in the Championship.  The end of Nov to early Jan for example.  We were dominating large parts of matches against good sides and lost 12-15 points from winning/drawing positions that we lost or then drew.  I took hope that we would win games in the Championship more often than not playing that way.  Since lockdown though I am more concerned about next season because we just haven't ever really looked close to winning a game.

• Like 1

Some good posts on here.  To those that wonder what happened during lockdown that tipped the balance, I would say it is was that the lockdown break simply took the wind out of our sails, we lost any edge that we had previous to the lockdown, we definitely missed fans who as we know, at CR can be utterly decisive in helping the  boys over the line and we missed not having Hanley or Zimbo (Klose has done his best, but plainly not at his best yet due to not playing for so long and having to play every two or three days). 

It has not been the same for all clubs. Superficially, yes, but the subs situation, the fitness of our defenders, the fact that we were so far back that the huge mountain we had to climb - was just too much. No disgrace, it's been awful - and lets not forget Villa and Bnmth have had similar issues since lockdown and have done badly even without injuries like we have had.

It's just been a sh*t few weeks, but we'll get over it, bounce back and get things moving again.

I've thought about this for quite some time (well, since that first game back and our chance evaporating) and overall, I still find myself on the 'plus' side. In other words, the effect of last season still overshadows this season's haplessness. Last year was so good. For perspective in recent times, I thoroughly disliked Roeder, gave Worthy plenty of time compared to others, was angry and sad when Lambert left, was pleased when Hughton went as I felt we had lost our identity. I remained having faith in Adams in his brief time but didn't feel we were progressing and Neil served his time and I felt gratitude overall and again I felt we needed a refresh.

That said, I have to admit to feeling less impressed with Farke's tactics and selections. So, doubts are emerging. Are we progressing? I'm not now so sure. The first 3 months in the Championship will be telling for me (the usual 12/14 games). If we are not pushing for the top 6 or still have our fragilities, I will be in the out camp. 

I posted earlier on how people felt our season might start...many seemed gloomy. I have the sense we may struggle and be like Stoke have been on their return. 

I'm looking forward though to seeing a brand new team...perhaps a place for Gilmour, Power after loans out and the new signings. I'm hoping our starting eleven has 5 or maybe 6 new faces. It remains to be seen if (a) Farke stays and (b) if he does, how we set up.

Edited by sonyc

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Some good posts on here.  To those that wonder what happened during lockdown that tipped the balance, I would say it is was that the lockdown break simply took the wind out of our sails, we lost any edge that we had previous to the lockdown, we definitely missed fans who as we know, at CR can be utterly decisive in helping the  boys over the line and we missed not having Hanley or Zimbo (Klose has done his best, but plainly not at his best yet due to not playing for so long and having to play every two or three days). 

It has not been the same for all clubs. Superficially, yes, but the subs situation, the fitness of our defenders, the fact that we were so far back that the huge mountain we had to climb - was just too much. No disgrace, it's been awful - and lets not forget Villa and Bnmth have had similar issues since lockdown and have done badly even without injuries like we have had.

It's just been a sh*t few weeks, but we'll get over it, bounce back and get things moving again.

What? We never had any wind in our sails. We never strung two performances together and we were rock bottom and going down bottom before lockdown.

You just use every little eventually and opportunity to try and justify  your support of the manager, and leadership. We get that you’re in love with having a Germany manager, you may even be in love with Farke himself. But there is nothing. Nothing at all to take from this season except shame, embarrassment, and sadness that yet again though poor leadership we’ve let opportunities to progress slip away. 

Oh and before you come back with some more sentimental waffle.  THERE IS NO PROJECT OR PLAN. ONLY SPIN!

Has the lockdown really made it worse? Or have we just not prepared the same as those around us? It’s no different to any other team.

You could argue that it’s actually been a help not to have the crowds at Carrow road, as this set of results coupled with the performances might have left a very vitriolic atmosphere, added pressure on the club.

As above we’ve just not been good enough, but it’s time to move on and look forwards to the championship. I’m looking forward to seeing where we go this summer with transfers. Think it might be a good one with few surprises.

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think I had too much wine last 

If wine is what causes all these lectures I suggest you've been putting away a George Best esque amount these past few weeks 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Agree with this.

I’ve watched all the games since the restart and it feels almost as if I’m watching something else. The crowd definitely does make a difference but I’m not sure it would have made that much in improving this wretched run. I think we would have still been bad enough for the crowd to have got on their backs creating a toxic atmosphere. At least the unpleasantness has been mainly confined to keyboards, a small plus perhaps.

VAR hasn’t been great. Set up with the best of intentions it’s not had a fantastic debut and it’ll be a relief to leave it behind.

It’s going to be hard next term. There won’t be decent crowds for some months, if at all, so we may have to get used to echoey grounds which we were able to leave behind some years ago.

Supporters of all clubs and their players dream of being in the Premier League but these days it’s usually a joyless grind for outfits like ours and probably always will be.

So here's the thing. Home form since Christmas and prior to lockdown..

Norwich 2 -2 Spurs

Norwich 1-1 Palace

Norwich 1-0 Bournemouth

Norwich 0-1 Liverpool

Norwich 1-0 Leicester

All pretty good performances giving us great hope.

Since lockdown..

Norwich 0-3 Southampton

Norwich 0-1 Everton

Norwich 0-1 Brighton

Norwich 0-4 West Ham

Norwich 0-2 Burnley

Did anyone really see that coming?

2 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

What? We never had any wind in our sails. We never strung two performances together and we were rock bottom and going down bottom before lockdown.

No wonder you called yourself Hardhouse.

Have a look at Nutty's post above this, tells you a lot.

3 hours ago, Michael Wynless Jones said:

Jesus, this blokes like a bloody preacher, have people genuinely read the whole thing?? Couldn't get past line 1 🤷‍♂️

it is going to be a long week coming up MWJ with several more sermons to come believe me.

• Haha 2

So it's all the fault of a virus... Ok.

Does this mean we will be useless until a vaccine is found? 

16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No wonder you called yourself Hardhouse.

Have a look at Nutty's post above this, tells you a lot.

29 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So here's the thing. Home form since Christmas and prior to lockdown..

Norwich 2 -2 Spurs

Norwich 1-1 Palace

Norwich 1-0 Bournemouth

Norwich 0-1 Liverpool

Norwich 1-0 Leicester

All pretty good performances giving us great hope.

Since lockdown..

Norwich 0-3 Southampton

Norwich 0-1 Everton

Norwich 0-1 Brighton

Norwich 0-4 West Ham

Norwich 0-2 Burnley

Did anyone really see that coming?

Add back in the games we lost since Christmas and you’re left with 9 points from the 11 games after Christmas but before lockdown. 0.82 points a game....which still has us rock bottom (as Villa currently in 19th with 0.86 points a game). Of course Villa and others have also been much worse since lockdown.

Before lockdown, Villa were going at 0.89 points a game. As I said on another thread - I reckon if lockdown/covid had never happened, we’d be even further adrift (because the lockdown /playing in front of no fans has meant a few others have been dragged down to our level).

Edited by Aggy

Good point made Nutty but not sure I’d agree that we had ‘ great hope ‘ of staying up on those pre-lockdown results. 

Agree that we might well have done better - couldn’t do any worse really - but other clubs would have had the same advantages too.

My money would have still been on going down but we’d have made it a closer run thing.

Just over 2 years ago we finished on level points with the binners, separated by another club with us having the worst goal difference of the three. That middle club was Leeds, which on its own might be an example of how fortunes can change so quickly.

the idea, for us, was to be self funding through developing our own players and cutting the finacial waste on high priced, but no so high talent players.

So where are we now ?

Are we further down the line as far as youth players, and player development ?

Because that is what it is about - not some absurd notion that we could come from almost bankruptcy to securing a permanent seat at the PL table within a couple of seasons.

The title and season in the PL have been a bonus - but the latter was never our immediate aim. That would, at this stage, be a costly and danger ridden delusion.

Has that aim been thrown off track by having a 'bonus' year in the PL. Of course not

However if some wish to see it that way then that is their choice, just as it was their choice to howl and whine in the summer of 2018, while predicting that the end was nigh...... even some gut bucket from Boro joined in with his stupidity that September

If you are expecting instant and guarantee success then perhaps our club is not for you. If you can see and appreciate what is being achieved then I doubt this relegation will upset you too much.

I would like to think that some of the most vociferous will not be pushing their way to the front when the open-top bus next parades through the City/

• Like 2

Its about time that we all acknowledged we weren't good enough.

And we have debated the reasons week after week.

No excuses from now on. We struggled and have dined out on the ManC result to tell the world we thought we were good enough.

Get over it. We go again soon and I remain, as ever, optimistic.

• Like 2

On reflection I wonder if the only point of us reaching the PL. is the money. With our financial resources we will never sustain a prolonged spell in the PL. So if our rightful place in the football hierarchy is 16-26 we will have many more instances of ecstasy followed by agony and humiliation and a rebuild. 

Our stadium is too small and our major shareholders although well meaning are paupers in football terms so we rely on our academy and the occasional astute buy to keep the Ferris wheel turning. We are a small mutually funded club seemingly trapped in this cycle of events and in October we start the cycle again.

5 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

On reflection I wonder if the only point of us reaching the PL. is the money. With our financial resources we will never sustain a prolonged spell in the PL. So if our rightful place in the football hierarchy is 16-26 we will have many more instances of ecstasy followed by agony and humiliation and a rebuild. 

Our stadium is too small and our major shareholders although well meaning are paupers in football terms so we rely on our academy and the occasional astute buy to keep the Ferris wheel turning. We are a small mutually funded club seemingly trapped in this cycle of events and in October we start the cycle again.

In relation to the top six or so clubs, pretty much are all in the same position

What separates the top six or so is not gate receipts as much as constant wealth from Champions League money

What separates us from those in the same position as us, is that we are well aware of the huge costs in trying to live well beyond our means - and how much the long term damage, can and all too often, is...... Hull, Bolton, Boro, Charlton, Blackburn, Brum. Sunderland, Pompey .... etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Good point made Nutty but not sure I’d agree that we had ‘ great hope ‘ of staying up on those pre-lockdown results. 

Agree that we might well have done better - couldn’t do any worse really - but other clubs would have had the same advantages too.

My money would have still been on going down but we’d have made it a closer run thing.

You can spin it how you like Smiffy. But my point is Carrow Road was still up for the fight. The fans still believed. It was felt we were particularly unlucky in the Spurs and Palace games. There was no howling and yowling. No booing or demanding people out. We all still believed. Or if not kept council and muttered in small dark groups that couldn't be heard.

The fact is that this is now totally rewritten and posters are relishing the howling and yowling and booing and demanding that they feel would have taken place rather than even considering that with a full crowd behind the team we could have fared better.

14 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

But are we doing better than most others with more money. Or worse. If your faith rests in money you will never have enough.

I actually think it might be a positive if we play half the season without fans at CR. Hopefully our quality will out and the players won't have to worry about the moaners trying to drag the club down. If people want to a fanbase with something real to whinge about, just look down the road...

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

But are we doing better than most others with more money. Or worse. If your faith rests in money you will never have enough.

I wasn’t really complaining about lack of money just saying there is a pattern emerging - the ultimate yo yo club.

I actually have a long memory 3 or the last 4 PL campaigns have just lasted one season. I am still having to pinch myself as to how bad this one has turned out, Great win over Newcastle in the sun, seemed to be scoring goals and no fear, then the mega win over Manchester City, if you had told me then that we would have our worst ever top flight season, culminating with our worst losing run in about 118 years i would  not have believed it. Quite a lot of enjoyable games and competitive in many of them then falling off a cliff at the end after resumption, ah well, at least we do not have to wait long until next season