Jump to content
Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Paul101 said:

and going by some past deals you can bet they will still be paying some of his wages for a year or two

politely, not sure what you mean there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bill said:

Never mind how many blades of grass he stands on per game, or his average proximity to the ball (or ref) ....this is what interests me

"Hugill is a target man forward, has great strength and is able to out-muscle opposition defenders. Former Port Vale teammate Tom Pope stated that Hugill had an excellent attitude and "was desperate to learn and improve""

Maybe we have at CR the means to help him improve

Do you have any stats to prove how strong he is? Is there any data that quantifies his desire to learn and improve?

Totally meaningless comments without any numbers to back them up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Do you have any stats to prove how strong he is? Is there any data that quantifies his desire to learn and improve?

Totally meaningless comments without any numbers to back them up. 

He can bench press 200kg apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of Jordan Hugill. 

After the signing of a traditional style left back and being linked to Jordan Hugill, it looks like we're moving towards being a bit more English, which bodes well for trying to stay in the Premier League a la Sheffield United and Burnley.

Hugill good with his head as well which means whipping a cross into the box becomes an option when he is on the pitch.

Our younger and more mobile Jordan Rhodes? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kirku said:

Is Hugill any good? Poor scoring stats

Not actually poor when you look at chances per goal at QPR and Preston. Remember that you get fewer chances in conservative teams who are always happy with a 1-0, may be a different animal in a team who play on the front foot.

Comparison may be questioning whether Kevin Davies was any good at Bolton as he didn't score many...but he led the line in a Bolton side which played Premier League football for 9 years. Only hit double figures in the league once in his decade at Bolton, left a legend.

Industrious may be a good description. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Do you have any stats to prove how strong he is? Is there any data that quantifies his desire to learn and improve?

Totally meaningless comments without any numbers to back them up. 

oh dear, even hand crank is this dim

one is an opinion, and to be seen as that

the other is a (supposed) qualified valuation based on ...... numbers

but never mind, you tried... that's what counts

so have another star

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not actually poor when you look at chances per goal at QPR and Preston. Remember that you get fewer chances in conservative teams who are always happy with a 1-0, may be a different animal in a team who play on the front foot.

Comparison may be questioning whether Kevin Davies was any good at Bolton as he didn't score many...but he led the line in a Bolton side which played Premier League football for 9 years. Only hit double figures in the league once in his decade at Bolton, left a legend.

Industrious may be a good description. 

I watched Kevin Keelan umpteen times when stood in the Barclay

if only someone had kept his 'stats'

so I would know whether he was any good, or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't Webber say, that he needed to get some weapons for Farke?

If this is true, I suppose it is the strength, arial ability and power to go with some of the pace we have bought. I can't imagine that Farke will change that much but it might give us another option and a ball out when we are under the cosh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Didn't Webber say, that he needed to get some weapons for Farke?

If this is true, I suppose it is the strength, arial ability and power to go with some of the pace we have bought. I can't imagine that Farke will change that much but it might give us another option and a ball out when we are under the cosh.

Could be really useful to have a big man as an outlet sometimes, especially if you just aren't winning the game in midfield, felt we missed that a bit last season and it was a large part of the reason why we couldn''t really design a Plan B. 

Tired defenders don't want a combative player like Hugill coming on for 10 or 15 at the end of a game, served us well having Rhodes as an option last time. 

Plus we've got that homegrown quota thing to contend with and Idah and Drmic are not homegrown, that is something to consider.It may be the case that Idah goes out on loan if we can't shift Drmic for that reason.

In Farke's first season we had to make some ridiculous decisions like leaving Hoolahan out of a matchday squad to meet that quota (is it 8 players in the 18 being homegrown?). 

With Skipp and Dowell coming in and a few Germans tipped to leave, looks like we are rebalancing a bit with those quotas in mind.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Plus we've got that homegrown quota thing to contend with and Idah and Drmic are not homegrown, that is something to consider.It may be the case that Idah goes out on loan if we can't shift Drmic for that reason.

Idah should be classed as homegrown from this summer, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Not actually poor when you look at chances per goal at QPR and Preston. Remember that you get fewer chances in conservative teams who are always happy with a 1-0, may be a different animal in a team who play on the front foot.

Comparison may be questioning whether Kevin Davies was any good at Bolton as he didn't score many...but he led the line in a Bolton side which played Premier League football for 9 years. Only hit double figures in the league once in his decade at Bolton, left a legend.

Industrious may be a good description. 

A great comparison ,personally I think he'll be a good signing for us ,he offers something different plus I'm sure he'll be better than drmic.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an interesting signing. I must admit I've not seem him play for a good number of years, but I recall him being a big rough style of footballer, something we do need in the squad. 

The truth is he is coming in to play second fiddle to Pukki and offer us something a bit different towards the end of games, I doubt he'll score more than a handful being used in such a way. 

His goalscoring record isn't great, two fairly good scoring seasons in total throughout his career. But then again, we signed becchio, a goalscoring machine (something like 75 goals in 190 leeds appareances), and not sure he scored once for us. 

Overall I'm not particularly surprised by this type of signing and I struggle to get excited about this sort of squad player. I can't see Norwich looking to improve on Pukki this season though. I suspect money will be spent on a striker when we next reach the "promised land". 

Anyone else concerned that having brought all our players first we're going to end up offloading the young talent relatively cheaper as teams will know how badly we need to sell to balance the books and squad. 

Edited by priceyrice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Do you have any stats to prove how strong he is? Is there any data that quantifies his desire to learn and improve?

Totally meaningless comments without any numbers to back them up. 

I'm not Bill's biggest fan, but he's not saying that's his opinion, he's quoting an ex team mate who will have played against him in training repeatedly and know what he's like.

It's evidence of his character and ability. Not all evidence comes in the form of raw numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Comparison may be questioning whether Kevin Davies was any good at Bolton as he didn't score many...

Good point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

This is an interesting signing. I must admit I've not seem him play for a good number of years, but I recall him being a big rough style of footballer, something we do need in the squad. 

The truth is he is coming in to play second fiddle to Pukki and offer us something a bit different towards the end of games, I doubt he'll score more than a handful being used in such a way. 

His goalscoring record isn't great, two fairly good scoring seasons in total throughout his career. But then again, we signed becchio, a goalscoring machine (something like 75 goals in 190 leeds appareances), and not sure he scored once for us. 

Overall I'm not particularly surprised by this type of signing and I struggle to get excited about this sort of squad player. I can't see Norwich looking to improve on Pukki this season though. I suspect money will be spent on a striker when we next reach the "promised land". 

Anyone else concerned that having brought all our players first we're going to end up offloading the young talent relatively cheaper as teams will know how badly we need to sell to balance the books and squad. 

Webber won't sell under his valuation. If we manage to keep the 'jewels' (as they seem to be called now), we'll have an extremely strong squad - which is needed with such a busy schedule - and can sell them in January, if needed.

They want to do their business early, before the season starts. They also don't want to be in a position where we sell anyone in the last week of the window, desperately looking for a replacement. That's when the fees really get ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well i am very excited about this link, he would do a fantastic job for us and we have not had this type of big in your face striker since Holt. £5m or there abouts looks very good value, for a while now we have played some nice football but had a soft under belly, Huggill would give us a physical direct option, in particular at corners and free kicks. At 28 the same age as when Holt was so not a player that would have much sell on value in the future but if he could do a good job for us for 3 or 4 seasons at that price it seems a no brainer to me. Holt didnt do to bad in the top flight when eventually given his chance and if we ever get back there in the near future who knows with Huggill.I could see him and Pukki/Idah complimenting each other rather than just being an either/or. Clearly West Ham type wages will be a problem, but they will have to take a hit to get him off their hands

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Badger said:

Didn't Webber say, that he needed to get some weapons for Farke?

If this is true, I suppose it is the strength, arial ability and power to go with some of the pace we have bought. I can't imagine that Farke will change that much but it might give us another option and a ball out when we are under the cosh.

Agreed. We badly needed another option last season, for two reasons.

Firstly, we needed stronger depth, which, in hindsight, Drmic didn't offer. We were so reliant on Pukki, and our downturn in form began when his goals dried up.

Secondly, teams figured us out and we had no alternative. They knew that Krul wouldn't kick it long to Pukki, so they pressed aggressively, forcing us into making mistakes high up the field. 

Hugill might not be the exciting player that we all hoped that we would sign, but a player with his attributes will add to our squad and can help us in numerous scenarios. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shocked by some of the negative reaction to this. 

Hugill is very decent Championship player. Works hard and is selfless. Comparisons to Grant Holt are fair, but he's better technically. But most importantly, he scores goals. Ok maybe not 1 in 2, but we have that player in Pukki. 

It's interesting that Hugill isn't up to it, and that a lot of posters on here would be happy to go into the season with a totally unproven and inexperienced Idah as the supporting striker. Idah is so young still, and has a lot to learn. I'd much rather have Hugill in there too - I'd be really happy with this and I think he'd be a success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing Hugill is not a done deal but there is something in it. 

Edited by Jim Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the note of the fee, I've seen a couple of people suggesting 5mill includes significant add ons and the actual fee is 3mill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just the type of player we lacked last season.

We were too lightweight on many parts of the pitch, up front being one. Imagine if Hugill had been on the pitch rather than Drimic in some of those narrow defeats. Sheff Utd away being one where Drmic seemed to want to roll the ball into an empty net rather than smash the ball and anything else that got in his way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think there’s too many negative comments, more a surprise given he’s in his prime years and not one we’d develop to make money on, that high wage journeyman, but if the fee is closer to 3 million even with high wages it’s not a huge hit. 
If he’s replacing Drmic great, I don’t want to see Idah out on loan I want to see Idah in a City shirt, he changed the tempo and our chances of scoring in the premiership last ten games, we looked threatening when he was on the pitch.

We will see, the kick off isn’t too far away.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, priceyrice said:

This is an interesting signing. I must admit I've not seem him play for a good number of years, but I recall him being a big rough style of footballer, something we do need in the squad. 

The truth is he is coming in to play second fiddle to Pukki and offer us something a bit different towards the end of games, I doubt he'll score more than a handful being used in such a way. 

His goalscoring record isn't great, two fairly good scoring seasons in total throughout his career. But then again, we signed becchio, a goalscoring machine (something like 75 goals in 190 leeds appareances), and not sure he scored once for us.

He'll only be playing second fiddle to Pukki if Pukki rediscovers his form, which isn't a certainty (I think he will though). That's another good reason to sign a striker though as I honestly don't want to see Drmic in our shirt again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, kick it off said:

On the note of the fee, I've seen a couple of people suggesting 5mill includes significant add ons and the actual fee is 3mill.

Looks like good value to me, is he any worse than Waghorn or Vydra? I doubt it. 

Strikers cost money. We got lucky with Pukki, couldn't replicate it with Drmic. 

Nice to see us spending a bit of money in that area of the pitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

I'm not Bill's biggest fan, but he's not saying that's his opinion, he's quoting an ex team mate who will have played against him in training repeatedly and know what he's like.

It's evidence of his character and ability. Not all evidence comes in the form of raw numbers.

Yeah, I was just having a bit of fun with him because I know how much he hates stats 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been crying out for this type of player for a year. Great news in my book as he will see coming here as a challenge and a chance to push on with a skilful, ambitious and adventurous side. A side renowned for good football and a knack of gaining promotions.

He will have seen how good Pukki can be and will understand the striker selection situation at 28yrs old. I suspect he can't wait to cause trouble in the oppos 18 yard box when he gets his chance.

Just what we needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Zimmermann with that almost-winner against Reading I forgot about, Milwall was a corner.

Either way- it isn't many.

Also Godfrey away at Rotherham from a corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

After the signing of a traditional style left back and being linked to Jordan Hugill, it looks like we're moving towards being a bit more English, which bodes well for trying to stay in the Premier League a la Sheffield United and Burnley.

 

We have to get back there first...

Agree though that I don't understand the anti-Hugill feeling considering his price and record at this level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...