Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

Overall, we're tremendously well set up for the future. Even setting aside the "Big 5" young talents of Aarons, Buendia Cantwell, Godfrey, and Lewis ... we have a host of players under 25 that could turn into something: Adshead, Bushier, Dennis, Dowell, Famewo, Idah, Martin, McCallum, Mumba, Oxborough, Placheta, Sinani, Sitti, Sorensen, Soto, Thomas, Thompson ... plus more u23s. What was the combined outlay on that group £5,000,000 total? Perhaps a bit more? What is the likelihood that even 2-3 end up worth £10,000,000 or more? I'd give us good odds to find at least one more potential star in that group.

Our strategy of (1) putting real effort and resources (i.e., Colney) into youth players and (2) being proudly player-friendly (i.e., contract extensions, bonuses) is going to pay real dividends. It already is! We're already getting players that we would not have 2 years ago. Signee interviews are repeatedly emphasizing the above two points as reasons to have chosen to come to Norwich. None of this is by accident. As long as we can keep everyone happy, I'm all for bringing in as much youth as possible.

• Like 4

We'll get a lot of ribbing from Champs clubs this season for our admittedly bad PL season ... but how many supporters of other clubs would admit that we're in an excellent position? All? I have a mate who is a lifelong Derby supporter ... trust me that we're looked at with real envy.

1 hour ago, Pritch said:

Here's a video of Skipp from a couple of years ago, ok so it's youth football but he was directly up against Jadon Sancho and pretty much dominated him all game.

https://streamable.com/txmg3

Obviously difficult to judge but he certainly looks more mobile than Vrancic or Trybull.

2 hours ago, Pritch said:

Here's a video of Skipp from a couple of years ago, ok so it's youth football but he was directly up against Jadon Sancho and pretty much dominated him all game.

https://streamable.com/txmg3

Reminds of a more defensively-minded Jonny Howson.

Edited by Darth Vadis

Evidently it has cost us a seven figure amount to bring Skipp in. At the moment we have plenty of players in that position. Sorensen's chances are going to be limited by this loan and he is here on a permanent deal. Gilmour and Sitti are being loaned out, will they ever get the chance to play for Norwich? 

Are we buying players just to sell on? The same thing with McCallum if Quintilla is signed. Players like Soto And Bushiri might never play for us. 

Meamwhile we have problems at goalkeeper and now, right back positions. It seems daft to me that we are spending to bring players on loan when we already are well covered in their positions. Last season incoming loans went badly wrong and if we had kept some of the ones that went out, things could have been different. 

Lar time we were relegated we struggled when Ruddy was injured, it looks like we are going to be in the same position this time. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Evidently it has cost us a seven figure amount to bring Skipp in. At the moment we have plenty of players in that position. Sorensen's chances are going to be limited by this loan and he is here on a permanent deal. Gilmour and Sitti are being loaned out, will they ever get the chance to play for Norwich? 

Are we buying players just to sell on? The same thing with McCallum if Quintilla is signed. Players like Soto And Bushiri might never play for us. 

Meamwhile we have problems at goalkeeper and now, right back positions. It seems daft to me that we are spending to bring players on loan when we already are well covered in their positions. Last season incoming loans went badly wrong and if we had kept some of the ones that went out, things could have been different. 

Lar time we were relegated we struggled when Ruddy was injured, it looks like we are going to be in the same position this time. 

With regards to players such as Gilmour, Sitti, McCallum, Soto and Bushiri, they're obviously not deemed ready for the first team squad (or maybe McCallum is, but not as first choice). If they were ready then Webber and Farke wouldn't be wasting time and money signing other players for their positions. 

We have to trust those in charge to make the right decisions with regards to which youngsters are ready and which ones need another loan spell, because their record in this area so far has been pretty spot on.

Getting a squad together which is ready to push for promotion is the priority, and we can't compromise this with sentiment based on who is already here or who has been waiting the longest for a chance if they aren't quite good enough yet.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

With regards to players such as Gilmour, Sitti, McCallum, Soto and Bushiri, they're obviously not deemed ready for the first team squad (or maybe McCallum is, but not as first choice). If they were ready then Webber and Farke wouldn't be wasting time and money signing other players for their positions. 

We have to trust those in charge to make the right decisions with regards to which youngsters are ready and which ones need another loan spell, because their record in this area so far has been pretty spot on.

Getting a squad together which is ready to push for promotion is the priority, and we can't compromise this with sentiment based on who is already here or who has been waiting the longest for a chance if they aren't quite good enough yet.

Exactly! We can let the kids bake in the oven a bit longer until they're extra tasty!

😂

1 hour ago, curious yellow said:

Who is to say that we won't get those positions in. Let's wait until out transfer business is done before we complain. If we're missing positions when we've completed our business fine, but whilst we are still clearly looking, nothing is achieved by complaining that we may not sign a position you want - we may!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, curious yellow said:

What goalkeeping problems?

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Apparently Krul is going to miss half the season and McGovern is only fit for Sloughbottom Park. NCFC are not aware of this situation and are only bringing in midfield players instead  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

They did waste their time on Fahrmann, Amadou, Roberts, Duda, Passlack and Edwards. Look what happened to Abrahams, Bloomfield, Mourgos, Jaiyesimi and Raggett. 

I understand that sometimes things don't work out  but rather than taking risks we should prioritise the positions that need to  and whenever we can develop our own talent rather than somebody else's. 

14 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Who is to say that we won't get those positions in. Let's wait until out transfer business is done before we complain. If we're missing positions when we've completed our business fine, but whilst we are still clearly looking, nothing is achieved by complaining that we may not sign a position you want - we may!

Quite right. There are at least a good 3 to 4 weeks to get players in, ideally within the next 2 weeks to provide some acclimatisation to team members and pre season.

I've read that we've been as active as ANY team in the Championship.

5 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

They did waste their time on Fahrmann, Amadou, Roberts, Duda, Passlack and Edwards. Look what happened to Abrahams, Bloomfield, Mourgos, Jaiyesimi and Raggett. 

I understand that sometimes things don't work out  but rather than taking risks we should prioritise the positions that need to  and whenever we can develop our own talent rather than somebody else's. 

We weren't saying that those loanees were a waste of time when we signed them though. For the most part, we were well impressed.

Besides, the five you mentioned haven't shown anything in their loan spells away to suggest they would've been useful in the Premier League last season so it shows that Webber and Farke were right to send them out and bring in someone else for their position. The fact that the players brought in all failed doesn't therefore mean Bloomfield, Jaiyesimi and Raggett should've played in the Premier League.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

Not a rumour for us, but bid accepted by P'boro for Ivan Toney worth up to £10 million from Brentford.

This a player who has all but 2 of his appearances League One and below, seems a mad price. Sure, he's had a good year and is a forward, but people were genuinely saying 'accepting anything over £5mil for Pukki' not so long ago.

Daft what people said about Pukki. But Toney is a class player and P'boro ain't no slouches when it comes to making good money for their top talent 

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We only have 2 senior goalkeepers for next season and it has been reported that we are not looking to bring in another, leaving an under 19 kid, with zero experience, as third choice. 

The second choice keeper is a veteran who has never been convincing at this level. 

For a team that is hoping to be at the top next season, it seems like we're taking the cheap option when we are spending money on positions where we have plenty of options. 

55 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Daft what people said about Pukki. But Toney is a class player and P'boro ain't no slouches when it comes to making good money for their top talent 

And is the sort of player we should be sniffing around if we think either of Emi or Cantwell will go for big money. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We weren't saying that those loanees were a waste of time when we signed them though. For the most part, we were well impressed.

Besides, the five you mentioned haven't shown anything in their loan spells away to suggest they would've been useful in the Premier League last season so it shows that Webber and Farke were right to send them out and bring in someone else for their position. The fact that the players brought in all failed doesn't therefore mean Bloomfield, Jaiyesimi and Raggett should've played in the Premier League.

Yes, we brought some impressive players in on loan last season (just as Skipp is impressive) and spent money doing so. They were all sent back before due. 

We also brought in players who weren't good enough to play in our team and entrusted other teams for their development, most didn't work out either. 

We finished the season with an unfit centreback, inexperienced players and absolutely no options in defence. 

We were told we were relegated because we were being careful with finances. I am just hoping the same thing doesn't happen next season. 

17 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

Yes, we brought some impressive players in on loan last season (just as Skipp is impressive) and spent money doing so. They were all sent back before due. 

We also brought in players who weren't good enough to play in our team and entrusted other teams for their development, most didn't work out either. 

We finished the season with an unfit centreback, inexperienced players and absolutely no options in defence. 

We were told we were relegated because we were being careful with finances. I am just hoping the same thing doesn't happen next season. 

Relegation?

You really are a ray of sunshine aren’t you.

Good grief we've made more signings today we must have three full teams by now. Is anyone brave enough to explain what players we have in each position because I'm totally lost. Maybe they plan to put all these players in the stands to make a crowd until we can get in. 

2 hours ago, curious yellow said:

whenever we can develop our own talent rather than somebody else's. 

be grateful those clubs who had both Murphys, Cantwell and Maddison on loan didn't see it that way

and it is not simply about developing other club's players

take a look at the PL loanees Leeds and WBA had last season

and have another scrape of the bottom of the barrel

because you are running out of things to moan at now

36 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Good grief we've made more signings today we must have three full teams by now. Is anyone brave enough to explain what players we have in each position because I'm totally lost. Maybe they plan to put all these players in the stands to make a crowd until we can get in. 

As of now, and reading between the lines, this is more or less what I expect in terms of getting meaningful minutes from those currently listed as being on the "First Team Squad" on the club's website (up-to-date today as of Skipp's signing):

GK: Krul, McGovern

RB: Aarons, Byram

CB: Zimmerman, Klose, Hanley, Godrey

LB: Quintilla, Lewis

DM: Tettey, Skipp, Sorensen

CM: McLean, Rupp, Vrancic

AM: Dowell, Steipermann

W: Buendia, Cantrell, Hernandez, Placheta

S: Pukki, Idah, Sinani

Out: Heise, Trybull, Leitner, Drmic

Loan/u23s: Thompson, Oxborough, Thomas, Famewo, Martin, McCallum, Mumba, Sitti, Morris

Obviously, some are still very much in flux. Even if we add another GK, CB, and S as seems likely that's a 28-man squad. Hardly monstrous and probably very much needed given (1) our injury woes and (2) the grueling Champs schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats very interesting thank you, I guess we'll lose 3-4 of those. Cant wait to get started and see what the newbies are like

39 minutes ago, Bill said:

be grateful those clubs who had both Murphys, Cantwell and Maddison on loan didn't see it that way

and it is not simply about developing other club's players

take a look at the PL loanees Leeds and WBA had last season

and have another scrape of the bottom of the barrel

because you are running out of things to moan at now

I'm not moaning at all, I'm just concerned that we don't make the same mistakes as last season. I'm sure you won't moan if things go wrong next season, but there again, it's easy to be wise after the event.

I don't recall any of those clubs paying us a million to take our young players on loan. Brilliant for us if they did.

5 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

I'm not moaning at all, I'm just concerned that we don't make the same mistakes as last season. I'm sure you won't moan if things go wrong next season, but there again, it's easy to be wise after the event.

I don't recall any of those clubs paying us a million to take our young players on loan. Brilliant for us if they did.

We don’t know what fees sides pay user loans as we aren’t told, in the same way that we don’t disclose transfer fees. I’m pretty sure that we will get fees and (part)wages paid in the same way as anyone else. 

8 hours ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

GK: Krul, McGovern

RB: Aarons, Byram

CB: Zimmerman, Klose, Hanley, Godrey

LB: Quintilla, Lewis

DM: Tettey, Skipp, Sorensen

CM: McLean, Rupp, Vrancic

AM: Dowell, Steipermann

W: Buendia, Cantrell, Hernandez, Placheta

S: Pukki, Idah, Sinani

Out: Heise, Trybull, Leitner, Drmic

Loan/u23s: Thompson, Oxborough, Thomas, Famewo, Martin, McCallum, Mumba, Sitti, Morris

A very good summary, that. Connor Southwell suggested on the pink un q&a we are after a centre half and a striker. I'd like to see a decent goalkeeper come in. Then depends on who is sold, I guess. 

Only just seen this. I didn't see anything yesterday on the subject, but could fo quite easily missed an announcement?

Norwich have agreed a deal to sign Villarreal left-back Xavi Quintilla.

The 23-year-old will join on an initial loan for the 2020-21 season.

The deal also contains an obligation to buy if the Canaries are promoted for £2.7m (€3m). The former Spain youth international made 23 appearances for Villarreal last season.

Edited by jaberry2

2 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

A very good summary, that. Connor Southwell suggested on the pink un q&a we are after a centre half and a striker. I'd like to see a decent goalkeeper come in. Then depends on who is sold, I guess. 

Pretty accurate I think. I would have McCallum, Mumba and Martin probably involved in the first team but are going to see U23 game time too.

15 hours ago, curious yellow said:

What mistakes

We did not run up huge debts as with B'mouth to try to cling onto a PL place

We developed our own young players. We continued in progressing the club along the path we originally set out on.

The only mistakes were by the ragbag of numpties who thought that after promotion we could and should retain our rightful place in the PL//// at any cost.

Spending way above your means to have a seat at the top table for a few seasons then falling into the gutter afterwards is not success- so I don't see last season as a failure - more a demonstration of reality

Shame a few in here still cannot come to terms with that reality

• Like 2

With Quintilla its a good haul of signings to be fair - although bracing myself to lose 2/3 out of "The Crown Jewels". I think we need to secure another goal threat either striker or AM, especially if Todd and/or Emi are off.