Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Six Positive Tests in the Premier League

2 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

But this was from 748 tests, so probably on reflection not too bad.

Yeah it is actually not terrible as a %

I'm impressed how quickly they've got their results, it was only about a week ago they were saying that there weren't enough chemicals to do the 100k daily tests the govt promised and 50k tests had been sent to the states for processing....

Just hope it doesn't coincide with clubs in the bottom 3!

In a nutshell the asymptomatic are the biggest problem (and apparently the main  cause of care home numbers) as without testing no one knows they have it....it’s why it was a crying shame that we didn’t prepare properly to test as many as we could when we had the chance rather than just leaving it to those in hospital.

• Like 1

The unknown, of course, is how many of those six will have been close enough to others to pass it on.....and may have passed it on already to other players.  And where did these players pick it up from in the first place? 

I imagine those +ve will go into quarantine and be retested until they are -ve.  Six cases out of 700-odd is probably the low end of expectation 

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

The unknown, of course, is how many of those six will have been close enough to others to pass it on.....and may have passed it on already to other players.  And where did these players pick it up from in the first place? 

This is why they are training in small groups - presumably until they know the squad is clear. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:
3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This is why they are training in small groups - presumably until they know the squad is clear. 

But the problem is where did those players pick it up from?   A squad could be clear, one player can go off and pick up infection from somewhere else and bring it back in then once close training/matches start with close contact inevitable, how many are going get infected then?  I presume huddles, hugging, kissing and will be out, but tackles and physical contact are part of the game so it really does beg the question why is football so different to the rest of us who have to keep two metres away when it is plainly obvious that players are going to get infected. 

I wonder at what point a number of positive tests means a squad is too materially affected to complete it's fixtures?

And would these cases to be treated like an injury crisis and therefore no credence given to the squad suffering with absent players?

e.g. If we lost Krul, Pukki, Emi, would we be allowed to withdraw the rest of the squad into quarantine or would it be just 'tough titty'?

Do the clubs do the tests and declare the results themselves or are they independently checked? 🤔😇

Asking that last one for a friend.

They are only isolating for 7 days. I assume that is if they are asymptomatic and that if they still have symptoms at the end of it they stay isolated.

That also presumably assumes they are all mild cases and so the players in question are fit enough to resume training afterwards.

Also, if they ARE asymptomatic, that would presumably mean that they are at least slightly less contagious, as no symptoms means no coughing?  Therefore no guarantee of them infecting anyone else?

(I know it can still theoretically be transferred via droplets just from breathing, but there'll be far fewer of the droplets as opposed to coughing?)

Edited by Orly
Can't spell.

If the people carrying out the tests can get the results back this quickly and ones by government take 48 hours or more the government might decide to use these testers instead of the current ones used thus impacting the tests for PL.  These testers are already utilised by the government perhaps they are responding quicker for PL for commercial reasons.  

7 days isolation thought 14 days was the norm that German team who had 3 test positive was closed down for 14.  Preferable treatment for PL will not go down well expect questions in the House.

Reckon those at the top are pretty happy with those results.

I mean in theory they've all been in constant lockdown so the picture in 2 weeks time could be very different

Tweet from David Freezer

"Breaking story as Premier League confirm just six of 748 coronavirus tests completed so far have come back as positive - understand none of those six are at #NCFC "

"I would imagine the PL are pleased with only 6 of 748, less than 1pc, shows that the social distancing has been working. Remember positive can mean symptomless. This is first wave of test results though so not full picture yet. Those six now self-isolate for 7 days"

Edited by Diane

Our best chance of staying up is that the teams are decimated by the virus and we are relatively ok, might rebalance the imbalance we have with the others club

47 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I'm impressed how quickly they've got their results, it was only about a week ago they were saying that there weren't enough chemicals to do the 100k daily tests the govt promised and 50k tests had been sent to the states for processing....

It takes a lot longer to get them back if you are a carer, nurse etc or a resident in a home. 
I know whose results I think should come back quicker and it isn’t footballers.

• Like 3

Only 6 positives pretty much gives the EPL the green light to crack on.

Bottom 6 club players might need to start licking a few door handles as it's off to work you go!

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Bottom 6 club players might need to start licking a few door handles as it's off to work you go!

You have to wonder what level would give them pause to rethink. Looks to me they are going for it regardless.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If you have been in lockdown, like we all have, how do you catch it?

Shopping at the supermarket, filling the car up with fuel, walking the dog, daily exercise. our lockdown wasn’t a real lockdown compared to other countries. Also it doesn’t state if these are players, or coaching staff or a mixture of both

Edited by JF
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Reckon those at the top are pretty happy with those results.

I mean in theory they've all been in constant lockdown so the picture in 2 weeks time could be very different

Yes. Just back in training. 20 next week 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think 15-17th have more to lose! With a restart they could fall into the bottom three, but without they're definitely safe.

As for the six positive tests, it isn't a disaster but it's not brilliant either. Considering that it takes 48 hours or so for a positive test to show after contraction and they were probably unaware of a positive test until the next day, there's potentially a 72-window in which they could've passed the virus on to other club staff without anyone knowing until the next round of tests.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Kyle Walker and Jack Grealish are probably two of them.

And Hudson-Odoi. Allegedly.

• Like 1