Sign in to follow this  
Since 1980

Ryan Babel link

22 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

We need a winger, he's free and he's done OK for Fulham but I doubt we'd be in for him.

Do we need a winger?

'done OK for Fulham' is the sentance least likely to appear on a players CV. 😀

26 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Do we need a winger?

'done OK for Fulham' is the sentance least likely to appear on a players CV. 😀

I think Buendia's 3 match ban showed that we need another attacking threat.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We should just create a thread for these random European links. Babel, Wriedt, Olsen... We can soon expect these every day from lazy continental journalists.

We are top of the League, looking very likely to get promoted, and we are not considered a 'big' Club. It is natural that lazy journos/agents are going to put out stories like this because they think we are going to panic and want to spend as much money as possible to survive (Fulham anyone?). They haven't studied our MO, that's obvious.

There'll be a few more of these type of stories in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

We are top of the League, looking very likely to get promoted, and we are not considered a 'big' Club. It is natural that lazy journos/agents are going to put out stories like this because they think we are going to panic and want to spend as much money as possible to survive (Fulham anyone?). They haven't studied our MO, that's obvious.

There'll be a few more of these type of stories in the next few weeks.

I think from the journalists' point of view, it's just an easy story to publish when there's **** all else to write about.

From the agents' point of view, they're just using us as a club with money to try and drive up the price or create interest in their client. They hope by saying 'moneybags Norwich are interested' their current club will offer a new contract or other prospective buyers might try to speed things along.

The source of these stories is usually the agent who uses the publicity to create interest. If previous windows are anything to go by we will sign players we haven't heard of who have never been linked with us in the media 

I thought Babel had great potential when he was younger and would have been a coup 10 years ago, now I'm not even vaguely interested tbh.

53 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I thought Babel had great potential when he was younger and would have been a coup 10 years ago, now I'm not even vaguely interested tbh.

He was a must-buy on PES 2006. Which kinda goes to show how he didn't fulfil his potential and also underlines how old he is now...

Babel has actually been Fulham's best player whenever i've seen them recently, suppose that's not saying much though. 

I'd forgotten about how many players we get linked too when we're in the big time.

Yep, watched the game he was very good, he's also in the current Dutch national squad...you know, the ones England must play in the nation's Cup semis. He is also very fit Indeed. On a free , one year contract, thirty grand a week, would only cost us one and a half million. If SW and DF think it's wise, I'd have no objections.  He is Teddy Sheringham.....with pace. Useful addition to the squad, moreso than Jordan Rhodes i reckon.

12 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, watched the game he was very good, he's also in the current Dutch national squad...you know, the ones England must play in the nation's Cup semis. He is also very fit Indeed. On a free , one year contract, thirty grand a week, would only cost us one and a half million. If SW and DF think it's wise, I'd have no objections.  He is Teddy Sheringham.....with pace. Useful addition to the squad, moreso than Jordan Rhodes i reckon.

Considering he’s on £60k a week at the moment I doubt £30k is particularly realistic. 

The whole story just looks like his Turkey based agent trying to rustle up some interest and get him a fee before his agent based in England finds him a club. 

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Considering he’s on £60k a week at the moment I doubt £30k is particularly realistic. 

The whole story just looks like his Turkey based agent trying to rustle up some interest and get him a fee before his agent based in England finds him a club. 

Can see your point Bethno, my 30 k a week guess was exactly that, a guess, a yardstick. Even at 60 k ( he may take less as his inclusion in the Dutch squad may well depend on him playing top flight football) he'd cost us 3 million for a season.  There are Euro championships in just over a year. 

SSN said today, it depends on his wages - if they’re reasonable, there’ll probably be a couple of prem teams willing to give him a go. He might price himself out of that chance though. He’d be a decent enough rotation player for us I suppose, but I think his wages would be too high for that.