Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Can we talk about James Maddison for a minute?

Recommended Posts

Providing everything goes to plan, you just know that James will get an absolutely incredible reception on his return to Carrow Rd next season. We are clearly a club still firmly etched in his heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't really compare the two, different styles of player. Buendia has all the attributes you would want in a box to box terrier style midfielder combined with great technique and an eye for goal,  Maddison is a more cultured style of player, great dead ball specialist.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You kind of can compare the two as their both midfielders. Of course they have different attributes but I wouldn’t swap Maddison for Buendia . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Different players, playing in different Teams, this story is more about his reaction after scoring, the booking he received  and him defending the decision. 

Handled it all very well imo, wouldn't expect anything less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets me honest, at this point Madders is head and shoulders above Emi.

 

Madders is now a accomplished Premier League player with an international call up.

 

Emi is class but as some way to go and if he gets to Madders' level whilst he is with us, that that would be fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Lets me honest, at this point Madders is head and shoulders above Emi.

 

Madders is now a accomplished Premier League player with an international call up.

 

Emi is class but as some way to go and if he gets to Madders' level whilst he is with us, that that would be fantastic.

I would add, that if he is with us in 4-5 years time we may have an established international. Onwards and upwards!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry (not sorry) but Buendia is not better than James Maddison.
I'm a big fan of Buendia and at this level he is doing quite well, some influential moments in the games but as far as overall quality and consistency he is quite literally not even in the same league as James! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who cares who is better, can we not just appreciate how well he did for us last season without trying to compare to where we are now? With the rest of the team either **** or still adapting to the champs we very really could’ve been relegated without his input...   

He has a steady head on his shoulders and has developed a close connection with the supporters of every club he’s played at - I’ve never understood those doubting his personality. I for one hope he gets a huge reception on his return (hopefully) next season. Will always look out for his progress and I imagine he’ll make it to the very top. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Further than that Hank - Can we not just appreciate the fact that he is a thoroughly decent human being? No idea why this has turned into Maddison vs Buendia when that clearly has nothing whatsoever to do with Madders getting himself a booking so he could pay a small tribute to one of our own who was taken far too young?

Not really the place for Buendia vs Maddison in here, disappointing that is what people are turning it into.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I even noticed that Chris Martin got a reasonable reception at CR. I didn't even know he was at Hull until he came on !!

Yes, it'd be great to see Maddison at CR again, even in a Leicester shirt. We'll also possibly see Ruddy too but he's been back before already, when we lost 2-0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lots of mixed feelings about this - the mandatory yellow card, the actions of the player and the feelings of the ref.

Fair play to Maddison for saying what he's said about Michael Oliver - but would he still have taken his shirt off if he'd already been booked? He was taken off after 65 minutes having spent the rest of his time on the pitch on a yellow card tightrope; don't forget they'd already had Harry Maguire sent off in the 4th minute.

The mandatory yellow card for removing his shirt - stupid rule, is it worse than a player cupping his ear or celebrating in front of opposition fans (e.g. Oliveira at Portman Road)? However, the players know the rules, so why 

The ref is in a completely no-win situation - has to book him otherwise he faces sanctions from his bosses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Woodman said:

I have lots of mixed feelings about this - the mandatory yellow card, the actions of the player and the feelings of the ref.

Fair play to Maddison for saying what he's said about Michael Oliver - but would he still have taken his shirt off if he'd already been booked? He was taken off after 65 minutes having spent the rest of his time on the pitch on a yellow card tightrope; don't forget they'd already had Harry Maguire sent off in the 4th minute.

The mandatory yellow card for removing his shirt - stupid rule, is it worse than a player cupping his ear or celebrating in front of opposition fans (e.g. Oliveira at Portman Road)? However, the players know the rules, so why 

The ref is in a completely no-win situation - has to book him otherwise he faces sanctions from his bosses.

It could be seen as an equal show of defiance to the rules for something of greater importance if the ref did refuse to yellow card him though. Maddison knew he'd probably get booked yet still did it, the ref would know he'd probably get disciplined in some way too if he omitted showing the yellow card, and obviously chose to do it. Completely understandable that he did but would've been a nice touch to double down on what Maddison had done with an equal gesture. Maybe the FA would've made an exception...

Didn't Mike Dean do similar to someone quite recently in the prem - was it Mahrez after the helicopter crash, remember him clearly saying 'I'm sorry' as he gave the yellow. It is an awkward position for the ref. to be in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone other than FIFA execs actually think the yellow card for taking off your shirt rule serves any purpose whatsoever?  From what I understand the argument is that it was introduced to supposed to stop timewasting but honestly whipping your shirt off and putting it back on again takes less time than 90% of the other flashy goal celebrations you see from players, and surely the time taken to actually book someone is far more than the time it would have taken him to pull his shirt back on anyhow?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree, not 100% sure it's completely necessary. Especially when you cast your mind back to some of the fouls that don't get a yellow card - hardly equal in severity! 

I wonder what the ref would have done if JM had already been on a yellow...

Off topic but, before reading the article, I thought this was about JM not getting into the England squad. How Delph, Barkley and  Loftus-Cheek get in the squad, with their handful of PL apps, get in before him is ridiculous - considering he's technically Europe's most creative player!

Great player, top lad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Why do they bother to take their shirts off, most have T- Shirts and Bra's on, next we'll see one of them advertising Victoria's Secret underwear by removing their shorts

Edited by daly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andyc24_uk said:

Does anyone other than FIFA execs actually think the yellow card for taking off your shirt rule serves any purpose whatsoever?  From what I understand the argument is that it was introduced to supposed to stop timewasting but honestly whipping your shirt off and putting it back on again takes less time than 90% of the other flashy goal celebrations you see from players, and surely the time taken to actually book someone is far more than the time it would have taken him to pull his shirt back on anyhow?! 

I thought that the yellow card for removing the shirt was for sponsorship reasons, ie. if you take your shirt off then the sponsors miss out on 'valuable' exposure. Either way, the rule is a hump of shít.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 18/03/2019 at 17:53, andyc24_uk said:

Does anyone other than FIFA execs actually think the yellow card for taking off your shirt rule serves any purpose whatsoever?  From what I understand the argument is that it was introduced to supposed to stop timewasting but honestly whipping your shirt off and putting it back on again takes less time than 90% of the other flashy goal celebrations you see from players, and surely the time taken to actually book someone is far more than the time it would have taken him to pull his shirt back on anyhow?! 

If you start making exceptions then you start having arguments about what's acceptable and what's not. One minute its a tribute to a deceased little girl, then next its a tribute to those massacred in the Rwandan genocide (random for instance), then there are complaints from countries and the governing bodies over football getting political, then the governing bodies have to try and get out of the hole. 

Better not to go there and for the players to decide whether a yellow card is worth what they want to express. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone see Paddy Davitt on Hodgey's Hacks? Maddison was one of his top interviewees; guess who was bottom - especially after he went to Villa!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/03/2019 at 17:17, Yellow and Green said:

Agree, not 100% sure it's completely necessary. Especially when you cast your mind back to some of the fouls that don't get a yellow card - hardly equal in severity! 

I wonder what the ref would have done if JM had already been on a yellow...

Off topic but, before reading the article, I thought this was about JM not getting into the England squad. How Delph, Barkley and  Loftus-Cheek get in the squad, with their handful of PL apps, get in before him is ridiculous - considering he's technically Europe's most creative player!

Great player, top lad.

I was dumbfounded to see Madders wasn't picked for the England squad. Hudson Odoi has done nothing to deserve a call up other than being another press favourite. Madders is performing very well at the minute and I am sure if he was at a top top club he would be in the squad. Closest thing to Beckham we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leicester fans opinion on Maddison is that he started really way but has been very mediocre since November . 

General consensus is that he will improve and be a major player under Rogers next season . This is from season ticket supporters at the King power I work with .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately, Madison is lacking in pace...same as Beckham. . I reckon this is the main reason he's not included. Remember that Beckham often played as a non pacey winger, delivering an early curved ball from the right into the path of onrushing striker. Madison is definitely better at the central, forward ,slide rule pass. Similar delivery from dead ball but very different in open play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2019 at 03:47, Feedthewolf said:

I thought that the yellow card for removing the shirt was for sponsorship reasons, ie. if you take your shirt off then the sponsors miss out on 'valuable' exposure. Either way, the rule is a hump of shít.

That’s a bit of a myth. 

It is to discourage players displaying messages. Football authorities try very, very hard to keep political messaging out of football - so a blanket ‘don’t take your shirt off’ rule is used - as it covers all eventualities. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×