Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Breaking News

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Maccys Back"]WHY OH WHY does it have to be one of them or even from the UK. Like that''s the only place in the world. Is it because foreign managers always fail lile koeman, jose, V.D.G, pinochio-tinio.

Surely after we scoured every nook and cranny of europe and adam''s was the best candidate then Alex Neil was second, then mcnally needs sacking for wasting the clubs funds flying easyjet all over when he could of just used a train ticket[/quote]Exactly the point I''ve tried to make on other threads.I''ve suggested names like Paulo Bento, Francesco Guidolin and even Frank Rijkaard, all of whom have impressive CV''s, plenty of relevant experience and would definitely bring a new approach to our club, but instead most of our fans were focusing on the usual dross names bandied round whenever a vacancy appears (Sherwood, Warnock, Adkins etc), and now suddenly out of left field comes an almost unheard of manager (this side of the border anyway) who has little more actual managerial experience than Adams (and in a league that''s about as good as League 1 at best most of the time), and we''re just meant to nod politely and draw nonsensical comparisons between him and Lambert and think all will be well...I have nothing against Alex Neil (after all, who the f**k is Alex Neil???), but I do take issue with our board making nonsense comments about scouring Europe for the best managers whilst blatantly overlooking available and frankly far more relevant and experienced options and instead going for the cheap nobody that presents just as much of a gamble as did Adams or Peter Grant for that matter.Whatever happens, I''ll give the new manager my support, but if it all goes t*ts up this time, then the board WILL be facing a Chase level revolt and it''s not likely to be pretty if that happens...[/quote]I think Rijkaard would be a virtual impossibility, but your general points are sound. Norwich needed someone with a fresh outlook to shake things up after several years of dull second rate hoofball. Everyone is scrabbling round for another Lambert or a Pulis after the garbage of Hughton and Adams.Even in the middle ground between Rijkaard and Hughton there are reasonably experienced managers who play something more than the same dated British style which has seen the home nations flounder in international competitions. Rosler and Robinson were such candidates, both with a record of decent passing football, but Europe would have opened up further possibilities.Instead we''ve got some wee Jock from a tiny Scottish club who''s hardly got any experience and a record of garbage hoofball. Don''t expect a clever possession oriented game, modern tactics or formations. Don''t expect to be watching European games on tv and see similarities to how Norwich play. It''s going to be a Pulis-style battle withouth Pulis''s nous and experience, and we''ll get undone whenever we meet a team which has the tactics and strength to stand up to this.What works in Scotland could easily fail to work in the English Championship as the standard is much higher overall down here. Even if Alex Neil did well and got promoted, we''re not going to progress any higher than the bottom six or seven of the Premiership.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Whatever happens, I''ll give the new manager my support, but if it all goes t*ts up this time, then the board WILL be facing a Chase level revolt and it''s not likely to be pretty if that happens...[/quote]I hope for your sake someone does some stats re. police horses, ghetto blasters, fisticuffs etc, because it''s highly unlikely there''ll be any streams and we''d hate you to miss it.

Don''t worry fella, the slagging off of Scottish Football is just to fit their agenda that the board are making a terrible decision.

Yeah it''s got sod all to do with the fact they have a pathetic record of late with the making of important decisions RIGHT?? Or are YOU the one making up an AGENDA hogwash

I take you have been watching lots of Hamiton''s games then 1touch? You seem to know a lot about their style.[:|]

Secretly we all want him to fail so we can "hit the club with a stick" right?? Or would we rather be a successful club and be "stickless"

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]We all know that any managerial appointment is a gamble. But there''s gambles and gambles. If Rosler, Robinson and Warburton are, say, 3-1 shots to be a success then this has to be 10-1 plus. I wanted something a bit different, but I am still stunned at this one. But then I have never heard of him and I still, despite what has gone on with Hughton and Adams, have faith in McNally so I''m here for the ride...........if this is what he thinks is right then get it done. It will be bloomin'' fascinating to see how it goes.[/quote]On what basis, exactly?Robinson: the perennial nearly man, who STILL - despite 4 years at the helm; despite being one of the bookies favourites every year, despite managing  a comparatively loaded Mk Dons side - has failed to actually achieve promotion.Rosler: admittedly looked good at Brentford, but seeing as they''ve become even more successful after he left, i''m not sure how much of the credit can go down solely to him. Did a pretty shockingly poor job at Wigan this year, following on from a season where he missed out on promotion despite having what they''re fans would undoubtedly call ''The Best Squad in the Division''. (Sound familiar, anyone?)Warburton? Well, i''ll give you that one. But he''s even less experienced than Alex Neil. And judging from this forum, experience is all important, so he''d inevitably be a failure.I''m about as happy with this seemingly inevitable appointment as i would be with any of the other candidates.

[quote user="lappinitup"]I hope for your sake someone does some stats re. police horses, ghetto blasters, fisticuffs etc, because it''s highly unlikely there''ll be any streams and we''d hate you to miss it.[/quote]Ah yes Lapps,I''d forgotten that it was a crime to not actually live next to the ground (or even in Norwich itself), and that it''s also a crime to not be able to afford paying £100 or more to go to a home game (once you factor in ticket prices, transport costs etc)...When are you going to drop this constant BS towards me regarding the fact that I don''t live locally and can''t afford a season ticket???Just give it a break FFS!

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lincoln canary"]Do you honestly believe Norwich City could attract the managers you''ve mentioned? Riijkaard FFS, it''s just never ever going to happen!

Some of the suggestions have been utterly bonkers.[/quote]I absolutely think any of the three mentioned are possible, with some more likely than others.Are you honestly telling me that you don''t think we''re a better prospect for Rijkaard than simply being a consultant for Montverde Academy?Bento is currently looking for a new role and would surely be interested in a club who could be in the prem next season whilst proving his ability in a more physical and well regarded league than Portugal.Guidolin has already been linked with moves to UK clubs in the past 4-5 years, is currently purely acting as a technical supervisor for the Pozzo family (overseeing Watford, Granada and Udinese) and has also been recently touted for a managerial return with Verona (which to be fair Guidolin denies).Tell me again how a club which has 24k loyal fans attend each week, who have spent the last 3 years in the prem and who have a board that are often supportive of managers well beyond their sell by date is not an attractive proposal to any decent manager?It''s better to aim for the stars and miss, than to aim for a pile of dung and hit...[/quote]

Indy, none of them are possible.

Look at our history of appointments, then factor in the people who decide who our new manger will be. Consider that we are a championship club now, and that any manger coming in faces a huge battle to achieve with so much expectancy. Good managers will be expected to get us promoted this season.

No sensible manger is going to risk damaging there reputation by taking the Norwich job under the current circumstances.

Rookie managers on the other hand have little to lose and fancy the oppotunity to prove themselves.

I wonder if there could yet be any new developments.

I remember reading that before Martin O''Neill was appointed here, Chase showed Jimmy Nicholl around the ground and the job was going to be his but it collapsed and we appointed O''Neill. I also remember reading something similar about Phil Neal before Mike Walker was appointed, and apparently he was even photographed holding the Norwich shirt aloft, as they do when they take a new club on.

Anyone else recall these?

I remember those Alex. But that was Chase''s little old Norwich days and when it came to it if they had no connection to the club they didn''t get the job. Ever.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lappinitup"]I hope for your sake someone does some stats re. police horses, ghetto blasters, fisticuffs etc, because it''s highly unlikely there''ll be any streams and we''d hate you to miss it.[/quote]Ah yes Lapps,I''d forgotten that it was a crime to not actually live next to the ground (or even in Norwich itself), and that it''s also a crime to not be able to afford paying £100 or more to go to a home game (once you factor in ticket prices, transport costs etc)...When are you going to drop this constant BS towards me regarding the fact that I don''t live locally and can''t afford a season ticket???Just give it a break FFS![/quote]It''s nothing to do with your personal circumstances Indy, it''s all to do with you comparing the poisonous and hostile atmosphere at the time of Chase with what you see as a poor managerial decision now. Anyone who was there at the time and still visits CR will know there is no chance of those dreadful events recurring anytime soon however this appointment unfolds. The suggestion is just nonsense.

[quote user="lappinitup"]It''s nothing to do with your personal circumstances Indy, it''s all to do with you comparing the poisonous and hostile atmosphere at the time of Chase with what you see as a poor managerial decision now. Anyone who was there at the time and still visits CR will know there is no chance of those dreadful events recurring anytime soon however this appointment unfolds. The suggestion is just nonsense.[/quote]Well if it''s nothing to do with my circumstances, why do you constantly make jibes about watching via streams and similar? But let''s leave that to one side for the minute shall we?As for being nothing like the atmosphere under Chase, I fully remember how poisonous things got towards the end of Worthington''s regime with a huge amount of animosity towards the board and being on the verge of a major protest, not to mention the disarray and dissatisfaction with things during the Grant/Roeder/Gunn debacles, and I also know how hacked off many fans are regarding not only the failure to remove Hughton in a timely fashion, but with the subsequent appointment of Adams and now possibly the appointment of yet another unproven rookie manager at a critical point for the club, so suggesting that things could and possibly would spiral to Chase levels of anger and frustration is hardly a huge leap even if the circumstances are not quite so extreme.Sadly our board have one of the worst recruitment records of the past 10-15 years, with a string of managerial failures and mistakes that if they weren''t tempered by the success of Lambert would be almost catastrophic in an overall sense, and I''m desperate not to see another Grant/Gunn/Adams scenario play out, leading to us not only failing to get back to the Premier league any time soon, but another 9-10 year spell languishing at best in mid-table in the Championship watching all our best players leave and dross of the ilk of Jason Jarrett become the players we get to ''enjoy'' watching for the forseeable future.Like all fans I simply want what is best for the club, and whilst I can''t give any sort of guarantees about what any managerial choice would bring, in our situation I''d rather go for a well respected manager who HAS managed at the top levels and IS used to dealing with top level players and opponents rather than a complete unknown quantity who could end up being another Paul Lambert, but equally could be another Peter Grant or Bryan Gunn...

I''m wierdly more excited about this than I would have been with Phelan, Sherwood, Warnock or any of the others previously listed.

What concerns me most is that he appears to have had success with a band of youngsters who have played together for years under his guidance.

Will he be as effective with players barely younger than himself who have played Premier League football recently and perform on the international stage?

The ingredients at our club are totally different to those at Hamilton.

Indy wrote: The funny thing is....those that appear to be overjoyed with this potential appointments are the same people who would have been happy had it been Ronald MacDonald appointed...

Well best we don''t sign the Accies Vice-Chairman then.

Some would say we''ve got enough clowns at Carrow Road already....

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]No time for moaning now , if he signs he''ll have my support!!! I hope he''ll be a new Messiah...I still remember the comments Lambert got and he proved the doubters wrong didn''t he?

But what will this mean for Phelan? What do you reckon?[/quote]

Well if nothing else, if he stays on as coach he doesn''t have to remember a new name when scatting with the boss ("is that Alex or Mr Neyul?")

What a load of total push talk!!!!

How many times hav you seen an Alex Neil team play football???

Hoof all?? It couldn''t be further off the mark, ball on the deck, goalkeeper o fullbacks, short sharp passing a 4-2-3-1 formation, high intensity pressing off the ball, giving numerous teams a doing who are much bigger in terms of stature, currently 3rd in the league, (not a great one) but it''s the equivalent of Norwich being In a champs league place at this stage of a premier league season.

Neil has proved already he can galvanise a team.

Recruit well

Play good football

Bring youth thru

He is lacking in experience and the appointment may or may not work but for fuck sake give the guy a chance!!!

Thanks Davidson. I don''t think many of us have seen anything of Hamilton''s play so it is all pretty new. It may or may not work but I am willing to see how it pans out. I am strangely a bit more excited by this unknown than some of the old has beens that are getting trotted out. Good luck to him if he gets the job.

I''d much rather get a young exciting manager like Neil than some of the usual boring club hoppers like McDermott, Atkins, Warnock etc.

I am pleased we are taking a chance on a young up and coming British manager. Too often we hear the cry that home grown talent is ignored.

Just saw a theory bandied about that, as he is registered as a player that we couldn''t get him till January ( would Adams have resigned earlier?) And pulse we have to pay a transfer fee?

He is a defencive midfielder, accies fans were saying that he only plays himself if absolutely necessary, due to injuries in the team, and he is getting a bit injury prone himself.

He seems to have all the right credentials and watching a few videos, his team seem to play a similar style to Lambert''s City. Pressing the ball all the time even high up the pitch. The one thing that made the Lambert days so good was we always seemed to want to win every match, this guy seems to have a similar outlook and also as he is an unknown in England no one will know what to expect when they play us, at least for while.

[quote user="whoareyou"]He seems to have all the right credentials[/quote]Just WTF?How is a mediocre playing career followed by just over a year as a manager in the tinpot Scottish league at a team with a ground that holds at max just over 6k people (and normally only gets 2-3k actually turn up) ''all the right credentials''???

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]How is a mediocre playing career followed by just over a year as a manager in the tinpot Scottish league at a team with a ground that holds at max just over 6k people (and normally only gets 2-3k actually turn up) ''all the right credentials''???[/quote]And then, at the opposite end of the scale we have Hughton - and look where that got us

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="whoareyou"]He seems to have all the right credentials[/quote]Just WTF?How is a mediocre playing career followed by just over a year as a manager in the tinpot Scottish league at a team with a ground that holds at max just over 6k people (and normally only gets 2-3k actually turn up) ''all the right credentials''???[/quote]

Oh do shut up you''re incessant whining and bleating Rupert - we get your point after yesterday''s 6000 moans we didn''t sign Frank Rijkaard or someone with some hip name from Italy etc. The above ''credentials'' is the worst you can do on Alex Neil - and quite frankly, none of them have ANY bearing whatsoever on whether he''ll be good for us or not. You need to get over your obsession that being a great player playing infront of 50,000 every week makes for a great manager - it doesn''t work like that.

There is no guarantee that any manager will succeed but the chances are surely higher if you with a less risky candidate. If a guy has, say, 3 indicators of success and another has 7, while there is no guarantee of the guy with 7 working out, it must be regarded as more likely to happen than with the other. This is my key issue- I''m all for a gamble but surprised they''d take one quite this big.