Sign in to follow this  
percy varco

Cup run. Yes or No?

When we were knocked out of the League Cup the majority on here thought it was for the best so that we could focus on staying in the Prem.

Today this forum is excited by yesterday and the upcoming draw.

So I ask. Cup run - Yes or No?

Why not?

The understandable obsession with staying in the Premier League makes for tense matches with less enjoyment.

Lets let our hair down and see where it takes us. Was fun yesterday, more of the same please.

Yes, well maybe.

I think that our win against Spurs in the COCUP started our run of good form, and as long as the prem takes president I dont see why not.

Am greedy, want both. not getting relegated is the main goal, but a good cup run gets the blood pumping (see the build up to the league cup qf) and motivates.

It also brings cash into the club

Go for it but take each game as it comes, we played the right team yest given injuries and opposition

Given that the 4th round falls between two very difficult fixtures of Liverpool away and then followed by Spurs at home in the midweek afterwards, expect a siilar team to that of yesterday. Our progression therefore will very much depend on whether we come up against at team as dreadfully bad as Peterborough were.

[quote user="Henry"]The Premier League really has killed football in this country hasn''t it?[/quote]

I agree, but we can''t afford to to be relegated again. As for a cup run, it would be great but we haven''t got a big enough squad to allow for injuries.

Yeah....but no......but yeah.....but no.....but............ itsallverywellhavingacuprunbutwehavetouseoursecondstringplayersandmungosaystheyareallsh*tandwearen''tgoingtobuyanyoneinthistransferwindowshouldbeshippedoutsotheresreallynopointinhavingacuprunanyway.ThentherestheeffectitcouldhaveonthefirstteamandpossibleinjuriesanddistractionfromthepremierleagueandwehavetogetthatseventeenthplaceotherwiseMr.Chops''sminileaguewon''tmeananything.Ifanyonesreadingthiscrapandattemptathumouryou''redoingverywellandIcongratulateyoubutthepointremainsweareinthefourthroundandshouldenjoyeverygameandgoforitwhatevercompetitionitisin1985andalltht.Otbc.

Undoubtedly, as a competive spectacle the TV money has spolit football for small club like ourselves. With rich beneficial owners increasingly taking over championship clubs as well the portents for clubs like Norwich are ominous indeed.

Yeah....but no......but yeah.....but no.....but............ itsallverywellhavingacuprunbutwehavetouseoursecondstringplayersandmungosaystheyareallsh*tandshouldbeshippedoutsotheresreallynopointinhavingacuprunanyway.ThentherestheeffectitcouldhaveonthefirstteamandpossibleinjuriesanddistractionfromthepremierleagueandwehavetogetthatseventeenthplaceotherwiseMr.Chops''sminileaguewon''tmeananything.Ifanyonesreadingthiscrapandattemptathumouryou''redoingverywellandIcongratulateyoubutthepointremainsweareinthefourthroundandshouldenjoyeverygameandgoforitwhatevercompetitionitisin1985andallthat.Otbc.

Sorryjustcorrectedafewgrammaticalerrors................

Play our fringe squad and see what happens. League still the priority. Sadly the magic of the cup,as they constantly say, went for me a long time ago.

I am happy with a cup run now because it will be gentler than the Capital One. Imagine if we were now facing playing Bradford Tuesday with a hard game Saturday. I''m happy to wish that on Lambert.

As the season moves through its latter stages, we will be comfortably assured of our place next season so can cope with a few more games. Also, we should have one or two extra players which will make a substantial difference.

Cup run if we can have our cake and eat it ie play a side not exposing the majority of our first team squad. I also think winning is a habit. Cup runs can be a drain, Newcastle have lost ameobi now for our game asan example

This is of course an academic question, for me. Our squad''s not got the strength required for a largely second string who aren''t getting Prem games to sustain a successful cup run. Our managers never permit cup success as they know the club''s priorities, as we witness year in, year out and recently vs Villa.

With the luck of the draw and luck on the day, we are conceivably capable of getting a brief winning unit together. Then making the final stages where more first-teamers might be played. However the really big boys are also known to get their big guns out for the semis or final.

So between a lack of will and lack of depth, we are destined never to see a meaningful cup run of old as long as the club''s in this relationship with the Prem. Which is a shame, since as somebody else said, it''s our only chance of a trophy under the existing football set-up.

Who knows, perhaps the big 2-4 really will break away and form a permanent euro league one day, then it''ll be game on for Norwich and English football.

The FA Cup doesn''t start clashing with Premier League fixtures until the quarter final stages, so I don''t see it being a problem.Yesterday showed it could be a useful opportunity for fringe players to remind Hughton of what they can do. The risk of injury is the only concern. But that can happen just as easily in training.

A Cup run certainly wouldn''t harm the club.......I''m all for it, I bet the whole NCFC squad would like us to progress further in the FA cup....

If we remain sensible, our safety in the Premiership shouldn''t be a problem.....The cup games (bar replays) are played on the weekend, which allows those injured an opportunity to recover, and allow ''benchies'' and fringe players to get a competitive game under their belts......If we progress further into the cup and get a strong sniff of ''WEMBERLEE!''......This board will be absolutely inundated with ''any tickets spare?''....Etc, etc.....etc.....

I still love the FA Cup.....The final is still popular and beamed around the World..... 

Definitely YES. At the moment we are worryingly high in the table. A tiring cup run is the best way of ensuring we drop the necessary five places to 17th by the end of the season.

Second string side out for the next couple of fixtures. If we get a favourable draw and the second string manage to see us through, then we can possibly think about putting out a stronger side later on in the season IF we are all but safe by that point. At the moment, it''s still too early to say we''re definitely safe and I wouldn''t want the distraction.

Depends on the draw.

Afraid league for me is always more important.

If you are near promotion or relegation then you want to concentrate on the league status, as that money is more than cup run.

The quarter final run last year was less than the equivalent of one extra place in the premiership.

The cup has been dull for a good 15 years with the ownership of the cup with the big five or six clubs. I like these rounds for the mix of ties but bored by the quarter final stage.

We need quality added to our squad for premiership survivals with this we can build and cup runs can come. But right now the odd game is good but of course no club prioritises a cup unless you are the Liverpool, arsenals who have struggled to win cups in recent years. Clubs who are used to silverware need it.

The last surprise winner was Pompey of any cup and before that we are going back 20 odd years so the cup for me has become a non event

The FA Cup can potentially be useful. Use it as a chance to rest the regular starters and give game time to youngsters and fringe players. If we get kind draws which allow us to progress then great. If you get to round 5 or further and the league position looks secure then our stance towards the competition can be reassessed then.

Indeed. There are two basic scenarios. A) We keep picking up points in January and staying on par for the 40+ points limit, in which case a cup run could be great fun for squad and fans alikem. B) We fail to pick up points in Jan, in which case we may want to put more focus on vital PL points. But as the situation, by nature, will  unfold gradually, at this moment in time (after a good lunch and a fine glass of vine) I can''t see why not indeed.

Absolutely Yes! If we''re not going to take the other competitions seriously and the height of our ambition is to just achieve mediocrity in the Premier League, then really what''s the point of us even bothering to compete as a club?! We are realistically never going to win the Premiership, we could realistically win one of the cups sometime in the next few years.

Yes, PL survival has to be the priority, I totally get that - but I really don''t see why the two can''t go together... We''ve exceeded expectations in the first half of the season and realistically need 5-6 wins over the rest of the campaign to stay up. No reason at all that we can''t achieve that AND a good cup run with sensible use of the squad and 2-3 new signings before the end of January.

Plus as we saw earlier this year and last season, a good cup run gives us momentum in the league, and vice versa - It''s no coincidence that when we stopped taking the cup seriously and played abysmally against Leicester last year, it destroyed confidence, started the worst run of form we had all season and nearly dropped us into the relegation battle. Top half of the table AND a cup semi-final run, please! OTBC!