Sign in to follow this  
barclay4ever

martin offered "excellent" deal

finally, altho he hasnt signed yet but atleast the offer is there and buy the sounds of it a f***ing good one. wot an "excellent" offer is exactly i dont know but i suppose it emplys grant rates him very highly and has offered as much as he can? i dno but atleast it could be sorted soon

i should imagine he''s on a low wage but gets a whopping goal bonus.. thats a nice offer for him.. watch him score 30 next season at 10 grand a goal or something!

jas :)

if its that good, then why hasn''t he signed??? the pfa would surely be avising him to snaffle the deal up pdq.  or are other clubs sniffing around our best talent since bellers??? the longer this drags on, the more the alarm bells ring louder for me. 

What''s "excellent" according to the club may not be "excellent" to his advisors if he has caught the eye at England level and others are interested. I think its worrying that a deal is not signed- suggests to me he is hanging out for another club as he would have signed with us by now if he really wanted to nurture his career here. I hope I''m wrong.

Peter Grant said this morning that the offer which has been made to Chris Martin is an exceptional one and he was frustrated that the PFA rep Mick McQuire was dragging his heels.

Then I think he went on to say had the offer been made 5 or 6 weeks ago it would have been snapped up quickly, although I missed a bit of the interview.

So come on Chris, you''ve had a great 6 weeks, Grant says the club are looking after you really well, sign the contract and learn your trade here with a club that wants you and dont start thinking about running before you can walk.

If Grant felt the offer wasn''t fair, I believe he would say so.

The comments made about Chris''s PFA representative are also interesting. This assumption that as the PFA are representing him they will by more sympathetic to the club is not necessarily correct.

I trust the offer is decent, so it is up to him to sign it. It depends how highly he rates himself and how the past two months have affected his head. 

Was PG fair in not giving him a contract before he made his first team debut, or naive?...

[quote user="cityangel"]

Peter Grant said this morning that the offer which has been made to Chris Martin is an exceptional one and he was frustrated that the PFA rep Mick McQuire was dragging his heels.

Then I think he went on to say had the offer been made 5 or 6 weeks ago it would have been snapped up quickly, although I missed a bit of the interview.

So come on Chris, you''ve had a great 6 weeks, Grant says the club are looking after you really well, sign the contract and learn your trade here with a club that wants you and dont start thinking about running before you can walk.

[/quote]

Excellent post ca, I couldn''t have put it better myself [:D]

we need to look at it in 2 ways.. he could sign the contract, score lots of goals and make us millions in a few seasons.

Or he could sign the contract and become the next Adrian Coote... we simply dont know.. he has burst onto the scene and scored goals.. but will he continue to do so?

I hope he signs the contract... that way if he is a cussess we get lots of money.. if he isnt we move him on.. we cant lose either way as a club.

From what I have heard, living in the Beccles area, that Martin turned down a £1000 per week deal some time in the last month. However he is very keen on staying at the club.

But who can blame him holding out for more? Especially when Thorne is on £8000 per week.

This is what really bugs me:

"I read with interest that his agent knew all about him prior to him being in the first team," said the City chief.
"It''s interesting as I had to introduce them. So that disappoints me a wee bit."

I wouldn''t blame PG for feeling people are going behind his back.

It''s fingers crossed time. They wouldn''t have made an announcement today if the contract was near to being signed. In fact, the announcement has probably been made to force Chris & whoevers'' hand slightly.

It certainly needs to be sorted...

They should offer unproven players contracts that are front loaded.

In other words they do reallly well if they score 20+ goals a season and a good win bonus.

Its a win/win situation for everyone 

[quote user="USAcanary"]

In other words they do reallly well if they score 20+ goals a season and a good win bonus.

[/quote]

Maybe that''s what they offered him?  2 bags of pork scratchings per week and 10 packs of pork scratchings for each goal that he scores... hence a good deal in NCFC''s and Granty''s eyes...

Now that''s half of our transfer budget gone already for next season if he accepts.

We will have to sell Earnie for an extra 2 boxes of pork scratchings if we wish to bring any new players in.

If the deal was so good then Martin would of signed it... simple as.... WE ARE SKINT and yet again have Sweet FA money to play with now and in the summer.

Relegation next season????

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

Maybe that''s what they offered him?  2 bags of pork scratchings per week and 10 packs of pork scratchings for each goal that he scores... hence a good deal in NCFC''s and Granty''s eyes...

Now that''s half of our transfer budget gone already for next season if he accepts.

We will have to sell Earnie for an extra 2 boxes of pork scratchings if we wish to bring any new players in.

If the deal was so good then Martin would of signed it... simple as.... WE ARE SKINT and yet again have Sweet FA money to play with now and in the summer.

[/quote]

Dig a slit trench and put your tin hat on Smudger. Methinks there will be a barrage on the way soon. Ha Ha

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

we need to look at it in 2 ways.. he could sign the contract, score lots of goals and make us millions in a few seasons.

Or he could sign the contract and become the next Adrian Coote... we simply dont know.. he has burst onto the scene and scored goals.. but will he continue to do so?

I hope he signs the contract... that way if he is a cussess we get lots of money.. if he isnt we move him on.. we cant lose either way as a club.

[/quote]

Quite true - there are several players each season who burst onto the scene and everyone talks them up, but many just don''t come on after that initial period - the Binners have this with a lad called Clarke who I believe is similar.  It is a toughie for the club - you can just imagine the slagging it would get if we offered a daft amount and he didn''t come off, but they do clearly need to offer enough of a ''carrot'' to take out the risk of him leaving.

[/quote]

[/quote]

in the immortal words of just about everyone on this board

shut up!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Quite true - there are several players each season who burst onto the scene and everyone talks them up, but many just don''t come on after that initial period - the Binners have this with a lad called Clarke who I believe is similar.  It is a toughie for the club - you can just imagine the slagging it would get if we offered a daft amount and he didn''t come off, but they do clearly need to offer enough of a ''carrot'' to take out the risk of him leaving.

[/quote]

I don''t think there''s any real risk to the club at all on this one. I don''t recall one negative comment anywhere regarding Chris Martin''s ability so I can''t see how any fair minded supporter could critisise the club, if, having got him to sign a contract he turns out to be dud.

Anyway I doubt we''ll offer anything like the amount of money that people like Peter Thorne are '' earning ''. Even our '' prudent '' Board must see it''s potentially a small risk when compared to the millions of pounds income Martin is likely to generate when he inevitably does leave Carrow Road in the not too distant future

[/quote]

[/quote]All you''re doing Smudgoid is painting yourself into a corner with ridiculous posts like that. (I fully expect you to disappear one day once you realise your position is untenable anyway) The fun in football is being optimistic, fact is we stand a reasonable chance of never winning any major trophy ever again but if we focused on that it would be depressing. Possibly for the first and last time I agree with our foul friend, go and light a bonfire and chill out.

[quote user="Smudger"]

.If the deal was so good then Martin would of signed it... simple as.... WE ARE SKINT and yet again have Sweet FA money to play with now and in the summer.[/quote]

Not really Smudger, bet he''d of signed it pretty quick 6 weeks ago but now hes scored a few goals in the past week hes being told by the nice PFA rep to take us to the cleaners.

I hope we don''t give into any big demands for a youngster who still has to prove himself to be consistant with the big boys, week in and week out.

Money Money Money does anything else motivate anyone nowadays???

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Smudger"]

.If the deal was so good then Martin would of signed it... simple as.... WE ARE SKINT and yet again have Sweet FA money to play with now and in the summer.[/quote]

Not really Smudger, bet he''d of signed it pretty quick 6 weeks ago but now hes scored a few goals in the past week hes being told by the nice PFA rep to take us to the cleaners.

I hope we don''t give into any big demands for a youngster who still has to prove himself to be consistant with the big boys, week in and week out.

[/quote]I tell you my heart sank when i heard the PFA and that objectiobable slimey weasel Gordon Taylor were handling him. God know what they''re playing at but i have a bad feeling about all this. Grant makes an excellent point re their "we''ve known about him for some time" comments. Yeah, of course you have PFA, been all over him for years haven''t you? Like you have with the Jarvis'', Spillane, or Eagle. They make me sick. I really hope Martin and his family see through all this sh*t they''re spinning.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Afraid  that the game is in freefall greedwise  CA !    in real terms  the meeja  don`t even know any teams exist outside the prem ......   we have to face the awful truth   here , Martin may have been offered  an " excellent " deal   here ,  but  the high rollers in the prem   could top that ten times over , and hardly  give a sh*t if  it goes tits up  , and he turns  out to be a dummy !  

The PFA  are NOT  the  bunch of saints  they might appear !   they are ,plain and simple , agents ! out to maximise their profits .........   all that stuff about  the lad  wants to play here , we`ve had words with his dad  , etc etc  is probably just hokum   ,  Martin is 18 , if we offer him a Fiesta  ,  and up rolls a ferrari  ....  what do you reckon ? 

The likelihood  is  that the club go for a massive compo  demand  , big enough to make the big clubs  think a tad harder   about  moving in  .

If the boy was really Norwich he would have signed. Problem is that he has shown his true colours and they are not yellow as soon as decent club comes in he will go. Money rules and the opportinity to be a pro seems secondary, sad but true.Bad advice from money grabbing agents and the lure of untold wealth,its sad there is more to life you know. HE will sign eventually but he will be seduced by riches and disapper in the coming months  

Having watched the boy I reckon the deal exceeds his ability and he is believing his own hype, a path trodden by many in the past which will only end in tears-his!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I''m not one for rising to wind-ups, which I assume this is. But this is so painfully naive...

Even in light of his being offered an "excellent" contract, what exactly would be the point in his not playing?

There seems to be a fairly strong negative slant already to discussions around Martin''s contract. Already I''ve seen questions about his loyalty and a suggestion that he should, perhaps, be dropped from the team until he signs!! A lot of people seem to be assuming that somebody writes a [salary] figure on a bit of paper, slides it across the desk to the lad, he takes a look, shows it to his brief on one side and his dad on the other, they either give a nod or shake of the head and he signs the paper or he walks away. Now, I''ve never been involved in a football contract negotiation but I rather suspect it''s more complicated than that. It''s not just about remuneration and his loyalty to the club. He''ll want to discuss the potential implications of loads of small print with his family and with his advisors. He is a young man making the first big decision of his career; it would be naive of him to flick through the papers offered to him and sign within hours without reflecting carefully on the full terms. How recently was he offered this contract anyway? It sounds to me as though it''s only just been tabled.

Can anybody tell me with absolute authority that the vast majority of football contracts are signed within a day or two of being offered? Give the poor lad a chance. We know absolutely nothing concrete about what''s been offered, when it was tabled, what the guy''s thoughts are and what issues he has to consider. Yet already some of you are turning on him.

I think we are all in danger of getting a little carried away here.

The PFA are trying to squeeze as muc has they can out of us, that''s their job.

These things always take time, and they''ll want to be sure its our final offer before making a move. I think the problem is that the PFA know what similar players are on at other clubs, and may be basing their negotiations on that. Once they realise we don''t have those funds to play with I reckon it''ll be sorted.

Also the PFA get paid by the hour not on a percentage basis so the longer it goes on.................................................!

I respect Grant more and more.  He wears his heart on his sleeve and he talks straight.  I don''t always agree with him but I''m really beginning to respect him.  He tells it as he sees it and that is very refreshing.  Lets hope Martin wants to stay and have Grant as a mentor because I get the feeling he will help Martin develop into a very good and valuable player which will probably bring much more benefit to the player himself in the long term.