Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Ben Gibson has left the building

I bumped into Ben at the airport and can confirm he is no more at City.

No surprise there but I thought I would share this little snippet of information with you lovely people

Will please those ( a guy behind me in particular) who constantly berated him. Strangely quiet whenever any of the other clodhoppers made equally poor mistakes. Never mind we still have Hanley and Duffy.to gaze in awe at next season! Gibson has had a very tough few months recently with the prolonged worry of his new baby in Special Care. Disgraceful how some fans still continued to pick holes in his performances. I wish him and his family all the best for the future. Would love to see him return in the future in a coaching role.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

No surprise there but I thought I would share this little snippet of information with you lovely people

What's he doing at the airport, checking in desk or the dream job of waving table tennis bats at planes?

He was the only defender we had who could actually step up and thread balls into midfield. Not the best ball-playing CB we've ever had, but the best we've had past couple seasons.

Don't underestimate the balance of a left-footed left-sided CB either, especially if the new manager does want to play out. I should think Hills might get an opportunity this season but still feel we need another ball playing defender.

• Like 2

I'm one of the few who rates Gibson, yes prone to a mistake but the only one who has the ability to make a pass. His probably the centre back I'd have wanted to keep.

Took some ridiculous abuse here and at the ground which is even worse when you think of the recent personal issues he has had to deal with.

I’d have kept him over Duffy and Hanley (only because of his injury) but given the contract situation it makes total sense.

However I also don’t feel like any of those three are the natural leader you’d want in a back line partnering youth players.

I just never get the feeling from any of them (Hanley’s probably the best but seems really quiet) that they marshalled that back line and lead by example. For every great block there’s a mistake and/or some finger pointing at others.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He was the only defender we had who could actually step up and thread balls into midfield. Not the best ball-playing CB we've ever had, but the best we've had past couple seasons.

Don't underestimate the balance of a left-footed left-sided CB either, especially if the new manager does want to play out. I should think Hills might get an opportunity this season but still feel we need another ball playing defender.

I have nothing to add to your comment but just wanted to say that I agree with you about Gibson because usually we agree on almost nothing. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't like hating on people but i'm glad that he won't be part of the squad anymore.  It's more what he represents to me in regards to eras and seeking new mindsets at the club,  we need to bring a younger CB pairing and I think moving Hanley and Duffy on would be good too.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, Harry53 said:

We need a finger on the pulse @True Grit

When he was good, he was very very good. Injuries seemed to really impact him but was probably Norwich’s best defender this season. 

Often the fall guy, partly from his own errors but more often from being over exposed by the lack of midfield cover. He won’t be as easy to replace as many seem to think. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

When he was good, he was very very good. Injuries seemed to really impact him but was probably Norwich’s best defender this season. 

Often the fall guy, partly from his own errors but more often from being over exposed by the lack of midfield cover. He won’t be as easy to replace as many seem to think. 

He won't be easy to replace at all, but if the rumoured £40k PW  was true then he wasn't worth that...

4 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

He won't be easy to replace at all, but if the rumoured £40k PW  was true then he wasn't worth that...

Bearing in mind his contribution towards our promotion in 2021 then of course he was worth that (especially as any relegation clause will have cut that figure)

Have said before that I can easily see McLean ending his career at centre-half, and I think he's a natural replacement. Agree with the comment that Gibson's a little harder to replace as a left-footed centre-half with a little ball-playing ability, but McLean does that very nicely when he's got a yard to pick a ball.

Always got the impression that Gibson was one of those who was good in the dressing room but I didn't think he was the best of defenders and wasn't particularly good in the air for his size. He was quite good at picking off passes and bursting into space so he could pick a ball, but I always thought Hanley was the harder man to get past one-on-one.

Given he's 31, Duffy is 32 and Hanley is 32 it makes sense to try and invest in a more youthful asset given all 3 are probably on some of the higher wages in the squad and his contract was up. 

41 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

He'll sign for Middlesbrough.

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

32 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Any website that claims to know a player’s wages is lying and should be ignored.

Also, a simple ‘weekly wage’ doesn’t reflect the complexities of player contracts. How much was the signing on fee? How much is the loyalty bonus? How much are the appearance fees? How much are the performance related bonuses? How much are the competition bonuses? Etc etc. 

Also need to balance what a current player is earning and compare it to any salary a new player will need, plus any fee and any signing on fee. 

• Like 1

Overall we can't regret signing him because he was a huge part of our second Farke promotion. For whatever reason, he never recovered from a combination of a bruising EPL season and injuries. He hasn't delivered anything close to his huge salary for this level so I'm pleased we're not resigning him. On a human level he seems a great guy and what he went through this season must have been awful and I'm glad it all worked out on that front. But it doesn't change the fact him and Duffy were one of the most expensive centre-back pairings in the league and yet we conceded only one less goal than a team who ended up relegated to League One.

Not all his fault for sure, but when you're paid so handsomely, expectations are justifiably higher. He hasn't met them for three seasons now.

Bye Ben you weren't the best or worst defender, too many in that category.  Not in the best in fact all pretty useless.  We have to find a solution to our defensive woes unlikely to be left to Kenny and Sorensen.

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Any website that claims to know a player’s wages is lying and should be ignored.

Also, a simple ‘weekly wage’ doesn’t reflect the complexities of player contracts. How much was the signing on fee? How much is the loyalty bonus? How much are the appearance fees? How much are the performance related bonuses? How much are the competition bonuses? Etc etc. 

Also need to balance what a current player is earning and compare it to any salary a new player will need, plus any fee and any signing on fee. 

Yes, this growing trend of everybody claiming to know what somebody is earning to the £ is somewhat annoying, we are not the MLS or Norway so footballers wages aren't made a matter of public record.

It would be brilliant to know, but we just don't.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gibson was our highest earner by the time Pukki and Krul had departed though.

Just now, YellowSubmarine said:

Has concrete offers from Cardiff and Stoke. 

Both places I would truly hope to never have to live, but I suppose Cardiff is at least an easy drive to Bristol.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I agree. Better than Hanley (injury probe and continually throws himself to the ground (cheats) to get free kicks) and Duffy (who is awful with the ball at his feet and should never play for us again anyway after Hethersett).. 

2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

He'll sign for Middlesbrough.

Maybe with a pay cut as Johhny Howson appears to be paid around half. I know which of them I think is best value for money. We will see what his uncle thinks.

18 hours ago, Monty13 said:

I’d have kept him over Duffy and Hanley (only because of his injury) but given the contract situation it makes total sense.

However I also don’t feel like any of those three are the natural leader you’d want in a back line partnering youth players.

I just never get the feeling from any of them (Hanley’s probably the best but seems really quiet) that they marshalled that back line and lead by example. For every great block there’s a mistake and/or some finger pointing at others.

Would have to go some way to beat Russell Martin in the captain pointy finger stakes.

47 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Would have to go some way to beat Russell Martin in the captain pointy finger stakes.

Peter Grant is the all time champion.

He was dreadful and a large part of the reason we didn’t go up 

let’s get some yoof in with some leadership skills and up for the fight