Sign in to follow this  
Satriales

No more FA Cup replays!

Another scandalous decision that benefits the Big PL clubs, at the expense of those in the lower divisions who will lose revenue as a result of this decision.

Very sad indeed.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Yet another choice being made by the FA that screws over lower leauge clubs and favours the big sides 

Funny how things like this keep happening huh?

Pathetic from the billionaire clubs and their teams worth hundreds of millions moaning that they might have to play just one extra match a season

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

They cite the congestion caused by the UEFA competitions, but, the clubs in them are only joining the FA cup in round 3 anyway, so why get rid of replays in rounds 1 & 2?

• Thanks 3

No replays but will it be extra time and then penalties or straight to penalties after 90 minutes ?

"The FA Cup final has also been moved to the penultimate weekend of the Premier League season.

It will be played on a Saturday, and will also be independent of any Premier League matches, as will the Friday before the final "to allow focus on the build-up to the showpiece event".

"The FA Cup is our biggest asset," said FA chief executive Mark Bullingham."

So the FA Cup is the biggest asset and a showpiece event but will be played BEFORE the last Premier League fixtures... Hmmmm... Call me old fashioned but if it's THAT important you have it the week AFTER the last Premier League fixtures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

This only benefits the PL and Championship teams. For fixtures involving just PL and Championship teams they should scrap replays, but for fixtures involving a League One or lower side they should keep them

41 minutes ago, wr4sb said:

"The FA Cup final has also been moved to the penultimate weekend of the Premier League season.

It will be played on a Saturday, and will also be independent of any Premier League matches, as will the Friday before the final "to allow focus on the build-up to the showpiece event".

"The FA Cup is our biggest asset," said FA chief executive Mark Bullingham."

So the FA Cup is the biggest asset and a showpiece event but will be played BEFORE the last Premier League fixtures... Hmmmm... Call me old fashioned but if it's THAT important you have it the week AFTER the last Premier League fixtures.

I noticed that as well. It looks like the FA have swapped this in return for having EPL free weekends for the Cup.

The truth is the FA Cup has been a second order competition for some time and it only going one way.

If this has to happen a simple rule that the lower-division team gets 100% of the gate receipts, regardless of where the tie is played,  would be a great gesture that would cost the bigger clubs very little and make a big difference to the minnows. 

Chance of that happening: 0%, obviously. But it would be an easy win for a football regulator...

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I kind of understand the reasoning not to add extra matches -

Answer is in the event of draw (i.e what would be replay) a nominal tie win awarded to lower league or positioned club automatically!

The point being the lower club would then get into the next round with more gate receipts anyway even if by default.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 2

This is yet just another of many reasons why the "big 6" should f**k off and join their European Super League. All of these shocking decisions made just to benefit the chosen few.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

This only benefits the PL and Championship teams. For fixtures involving just PL and Championship teams they should scrap replays, but for fixtures involving a League One or lower side they should keep them

Kind of agree but the League 1 and 2 also get exclusive EFL Trophy so they're probably just as congested what with FA Cup and EFL Cup plus 24 Teams in each league.

37 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Kind of agree but the League 1 and 2 also get exclusive EFL Trophy so they're probably just as congested what with FA Cup and EFL Cup plus 24 Teams in each league.

Good point actually

46 minutes ago, Foxy2600 said:

Have you seen the gates for EFL trophy matches? A complete waste of time.

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I kind of understand the reasoning not to add extra matches -

Answer is in the event of draw (i.e what would be replay) a nominal tie win awarded to lower league or positioned club automatically!

The point being the lower club would then get into the next round with more gate receipts anyway even if by default.

I was thinking that.  Perhaps a choice, play a replay or forfeit.

• Like 1

Of course, it might also benefit the potential giant killers chance of a victory first time out - lower league sides invariably lose the replays - so they get a nice lucrative match in the next round.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

Have you seen the gates for EFL trophy matches? A complete waste of time.

The big clubs couldn’t even let them have that to themselves, they had to take it away and use it as a training comp for their youth teams. I’m beginning to hate everything about modern football in England 

• Like 4

It's a weird one this, as emotionally, I expect we would all like to see the FA Cup taken seriously, as it was in the 'old days'. 

Most higher division teams, ourselves included, treat it as a training day for the second string players, but still expecting to progress, so it can't be about player burn-out entirely.

So perhaps it also has something to do with administration and logistics. Maybe we need to ask Pete the Kitman?

Lower league teams must also get frustrated when the 'big teams' reduce ticket prices and do kids for a quid.

It isn't just the Premier League, it's Championship teams as well diluting the so called magic of the Cup.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, alex_ncfc said:

This is yet just another of many reasons why the "big 6" should f**k off and join their European Super League. All of these shocking decisions made just to benefit the chosen few.

I was dead set against the ESL, but with the decisions being made to cater for the 'big boys' i'm now almost of this opinion too. 

What concerns me is that it becomes an irreversible change, billionaires get their wishes, the sport just becomes a global franchise, and ultimately places like Saudi become the host venue for many of our top domestic teams.

Clubs outside of the ESL get dropped by their owners who had plans for the 'big time', that would include us.  I think it would cause so much ruin, as the whole idea of the sport is that you push up the pyramid to play the best.

I'd prefer for authorities to grow some balls and push back on owners/clubs demands.  And the government to declare that clubs must remain in domestic leagues, so if there was any clubs walking away they'd have to do it under a new franchise ('Red Devils', 'Gunners' etc), new stadium, the lot.

That way they can **** off and we'd be left with the same structure that was built domestically within a less corrupt environment... Almost like a snake shedding it's skin.

Winds me up, really it does.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 3

Five things have massively ruined the FA Cup for me in the last 20 or so years:

• Semi Finals always played at Wembley. This is ridiculous and a money-grab by the FA to to continue to pay for the white elephant New Wembley, also takes the prestige away from actually reaching the final. It was before my time, but I bet anyone who went to the Everton SF in 1989 or the Sunderland SF in 1991 would concur with this.

• Not playing The FA Cup Final on a stand-alone day, once all four leagues have finished. This shows complete contempt for the competition.

• Kick off times now moved to random times to cater for foreign TV coverage. This just damages attendances, lets be honest if a 3rd Round match is scheduled on a Monday at 8pm kick-off during the second week of January and isn't televised in the UK, no one is going to show any interest.

• VAR. No words needed for this one. Although how can VAR be used in some third/fourth/fitfth round matches and not others, no integrity in the standards of officiating in the competition ?

• and now Replays binned. As mentioned a stupid and hypocritical decision no doubt instigated by the PL clubs due to fixture congestion and travel. Yet they swan off to the Middle-East, East Asia or the USA every pre-season and jetset everywhere.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, TheRock said:

So essentially, it has been 'railroaded in' by the FA and PL only, with limited to no consultation with anyone else.  That is astounding.

Astounding. And simultaneously not remotely surprising.

Edited by Robert N. LiM

Where is this Independent Football czar that the govt. keeps banging on about? Oh, its too busy playing ping pong with the Lords over a nonsensical policy instead.  FFS. 

I was a non league fan for most of my life,  and once we played MK Don's at home and forced a replay at their place in the 1st Round Proper. It was a great evening out and some extra,  much needed cash for the club. We lost 6-1 but that was expected. They beat a league side 6 nil a few weeks earlier. 

So I agree,  it will hurt the smaller clubs

NB. It was Dele Ali's debut !!

Remember when teams played 46 games, plus FA Cup, plus whatever the FA Sponsors decided to call the minor trophy

FA only interested in money no thoughts for fans

Notts Forrest played 60+ games in the years they won the European Cup plus they had plenty of players involved in International games.

There was only one, or maybe two subs allowed in those days and players were rarely rested so most first team players would have played in the vast majority of games.

And that was when the players were relatively unfit compared to today, the game was much more physical then and the players went out on the p*ss every night.

Nobody complained then

Remember in 84/85 playing Birmingham in the FA Cup 3rd round...and it went to 3 replays

Was a tiresome slog. 

Must confess to one replay being a bit of a chore and inconvenience nowadays...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Must confess to one replay being a bit of a chore and inconvenience nowadays...

Yes, completely agree. Have no problem with it on footballing terms. It's just the way it screws the smaller clubs, and the way it's seemingly been introduced without serious consultation with them, that rankles.