Sign in to follow this  
Wings of a Sparrow

Applauding opposition goal at Carrow Rd

There's a post on a page I follow on Facebook asking, as a home fan, is their an opposition goal you have applauded...

Gossy's goal at Leeds is getting a few mentions - deservedly.

I can't think of any, but there must have been some at Carrow Rd.

1 minute ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

There's a post on a page I follow on Facebook asking, as a home fan, is their an opposition goal you have applauded...

Unfortunately Suarez deserves a mention, for too many goals. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Great thread, now let’s see that goal. 

• Like 2

I applauded Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink free kick goal for Boro in front of the Barclay. To then see thousands of city fans walk out for the game to end 4-4. You applaud when you should, and the gods join in ! 

Remember playing Oldham at the end of the 93/94 season where losing to them may have resulted in the binners getting relegated..

It ended 1-1 , but ipswich's result eleswhere saved them. However when Oldham scored it was celebrated like a Norwich goal...

A long, long time ago I remember a Siggi Jonsson goal for Wednesday being applauded at CR. A mazy run through our entire defence is what I remember, but it might have been a Safri-style banger. As I said, it was a long time ago.

And not a goal, obviously, but Dion's ovation in his last game, at Wednesday, was a great example of the same kind of sportsmanship.

A few people around me applauded Asprillas goal for Watford against this season.

Posted (edited)

Jessy Reindorf for Bury in a cup game 10 or so years ago. We’d scored 6 ourselves by that point so could afford to applaud. 

Edited by Northluck C

Yes been a fair few goals where you just had to appreciate and applaud.

• Like 1

People forgetting that recent Asprilla goal? (Watford)

Many stood applauding that.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Remember playing Oldham at the end of the 93/94 season where losing to them may have resulted in the binners getting relegated..

It ended 1-1 , but ipswich's result eleswhere saved them. However when Oldham scored it was celebrated like a Norwich goal...

I was at that match, doesn’t time fly. 

The goss goal in front of the kop ( the last goal scored there if I I remember rightly) was applauded warmly by the Liverpool fans.

The night Safri scored the worldy against Newcastle I was sat on the jarrold stand instead of the snakepit

That just about got a round of applause 🤣🤣🤣from the prawn sandwich brigade 🤣

7 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

In reality you don’t watch a opposition goal go in a think omg what a great goal, if I tried to remember one that stuck in my mind it would be the winner for Man City when Delia did her party piece.

Sorry, but I do. Although, I must admit, that is not necessarily my first thought.

8 hours ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

In reality you don’t watch a opposition goal go in a think omg what a great goal, if I tried to remember one that stuck in my mind it would be the winner for Man City when Delia did her party piece.

It makes it a lot easier to take if it’s a fantastic piece of skill as opposed to something a Sunday league defence should have stopped. 

And applause? There’s always this guy (bottom right):

CD303CC0-0BBE-4D51-9339-56368019BA78.thumb.jpeg.8c90a98166c56b3a67cc6d9587057887.jpeg

• Haha 4

Not a goal but Paul Gascoigne got a standing ovation in 1991. Best performance I've seen by a visiting player at Carrow Road 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not a goal but Paul Gascoigne got a standing ovation in 1991. Best performance I've seen by a visiting player at Carrow Road 

Ha, I'd just come back on this thread to mention this. Completely agree. He was at his absolute peak then.

It was a few days before Spurs' FA Cup semi-final with Arsenal (Barry Davies: "Is Gascoigne going to have a crack? He is, you know....oh I say!") and Spurs basically played a reserve team, apart from Gazza, who was (of course) coming back from injury so needed the minutes.

He was like a kid in a playground, just so obviously the best player on the pitch (and NCFC were good in those days). IIRC, he played about an hour and, as you say, the whole ground rose to him as he was substituted. I think the residual affection from Italia 90 played a part in it, but mostly it was just because he was sensational. My main memory is the keeper rolling the ball out to him on the edge of the Spurs box and him just running the length of the field with it. More than once. What a player.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CardiffCanary said:

The goss goal in front of the kop ( the last goal scored there if I I remember rightly) was applauded warmly by the Liverpool fans 

That Gossy goal was fairly early on in the match which helped.

I remember the Kop singing “ You’re supposed to let us win “ which was amusing.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

It makes it a lot easier to take if it’s a fantastic piece of skill as opposed to something a Sunday league defence should have stopped. 

CD303CC0-0BBE-4D51-9339-56368019BA78.thumb.jpeg.8c90a98166c56b3a67cc6d9587057887.jpeg

How to sum up football in one picture. That's a great shot.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember applauding Zola's FA cup goal ! Some finish.  

Edited by Sifive

Posted (edited)

A few spring to mind.

Peter Crouch getting a very good reception on returning to Carrow Road after a thirteern year hiatus, when he scored and Stoke beat us 0-1 in 2018/19,

The other is Hooper's volley away at Rotherham the season that we won the play-offs. The Rotherham fans were buoyant in the pub before the match that day anyway, as they smugly believed that they were going to avoid relegation, which was reinforced when they bagged a late equaliser against us, and Millwall let in a late goal meaning Rotherham had control of their own fate.

Then of course, there's Suarez's goal where he megged our CB (Eliot Ward?) and lobbed Ruddy from nearly 50 yards for his hat-trick, probably one of the best goals at Carrow Road in recent years.

Edited by TheRock

Posted (edited)

Also - not a goal but Grant Holt's return to Carrow Road with Huddersfield was quite bizarre, i think we beat them 5 or 6 nil.

Every one of touches or interaction got a massive cheer and applause, with a tongue-in-cheek chant or two of "you fat b*****d", "blue and white s**te" etc.  The second half of that game for like a makeshift testimonial for him. 😂

Edited by TheRock

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

How to sum up football in one picture. That's a great shot.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

i Applauded the guy Bottom middle for Punching above his weight if that is is wife / girlfriend to the left next to him  

Edited by norfolkngood
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Foristieri for Sheff Weds

Forgotten with Vrancic last minute free kick. A good day to be sat in the River End! I didn’t applaud but said out loud bloody hell that’s a good goal.

Edited by Ulfotto

8 hours ago, Conrad said:

Sorry, but I do. Although, I must admit, that is not necessarily my first thought.

I don’t.

I think when we got beat by the Arsenal Invincibles in 2004/5 season one of their goals Henry to Bergkamp was absolutely brilliant from a team that was absolutely on top of their game.

I didn't applaud physically, but inside I had a bit of a begrudging respect. We were so easily beaten that day, and we had a really good team and were playing well.

19 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Foristieri for Sheff Weds

Yes that was a seriously super strike. For that alone he deserved to be on the winning side. Wonder what happened to him? 

5 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

i Applauded the guy Bottom middle for Punching above his weight if that is is wife / girlfriend to the left next to him  

Or mum?