Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Wagner says " we looked solid and organised.."

2 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Over the last 40 games there are only 7 teams with more goals conceded than us and 5 of them are the bottom 5 teams.

As far as I'm aware, all games played count in the final reckoning.

We clearly changed the way we set up defensively in November though. There's a clear line where we were conceding 2 goals a game to much closer to 1. 

17 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So why didn’t he do anything to change it?

Our bench isn't exactly stellar. It sounds like it was the players not being on it today (Sara for one certainly wasn't).

19 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

We've had one of the best defenses in the league over the last 20-25 games. Genuinely surprised so many of you lot are ****ting the bed over a match away at Leicester.

I think most (including myself) are just frustrated that we didnt push an initially flaky and shaky Leicester esp after going 1-0 up and just gave them and their fans impetus and belief by just sitting back and letting them do what they wanted. The loss was kinda expected and no shame in that, the manner of the performance though wasnt.

• Like 3

Wow... some folks have a right cob on.

McLean rubbish and doesn't deserve POTS because of todays game. Wagner is nuts because he said across several tweets rather than just the one, and I will paraphrase "we did well defensively considering the lack of possession owing to us being poor when we did have it, it is no wonder they had opportunities".

Sainz was guilty of trying to dribble it out of our own third and several others were guilty of giving it away far too easily.

Leicester are the best side in this league, absolutely no doubt in my mind. Leeds are behind them. You look at that Leicester line up and then the bench. That is still a decent lower to mid table premier league side. Winks has over 200 appearances for Spurs under his cap plus 20 for Sampdoria in Serie A and is 28.

Before the game everyone on here was calling it a "free hit". I think we all knew that it was either going to be an outstanding performance or Leicester would beat us. I think with our squad right now, two games in four days was probably too much. Of all the games we had left, we knew this would be the most difficult.

The most important thing for me is the response Vs Ipswich. As much as people are calling today "negative tactics" in reality, we need a balanced squad who can play against teams who are better than us. If we go up and try to just out-pass, outplay teams, they'll sit back and pick us off like they did all day with Farke leading us. Wait for those full backs to push on, win the ball back and quickly put it into the space they have left behind them.

We need to be tougher, and yes, at times that may mean we need to be more defensive. That's not usually been our approach with Wagner, and I suspect it won't be as defensive against Ipswich.  

• Like 5

And Coventry slip on a banana skin - Wagner gets another chance.

Making comments like that does not endear himself to us fans and makes him a laughing stock amongst his peers. 

Solid ?

Wagners either delusional or being dishonest. I’d have more respect if he came out and admitted how terrible we were. Apart from maybe Gunn everyone was off it. We were so lethargic, weak and second best in all departments. A special mention to Stacey and McCallum though. I’ve never seen opposition wingers have so much time and space. Utterly clueless defensively when up against decent players. Here’s hoping for an improved performance Saturday. 

• Like 1

If Wagner had stuck to the tactics that had got us on this fine recent run and into the play offs today might have been a different score 

why over complicate it and make us sit deep defend a lead etc we should have been up and at them they were the fragile ones ,

we got the perfect start we should of bullied them and the fans would have turned 

3 hours ago, ron obvious said:

The posts on here are disingenuous to say the least. Wagner also said he was not happy or satisfied, & disappointed with our overall levels of performance. His feelings today seem to be vastly different to those after the So'ton game.

But then it is his job to do something about it. His 'in game' management is atrocious. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Conrad said:

But then it is his job to do something about it. His 'in game' management is atrocious. 

Not much you can do if the players aren't doing it on the pitch. And no game changer to bring on.

5 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

And that’s why he should be gone regardless of getting in the play offs or not. He’s clueless 🙈

He will be gone. Today confirmed that .When its all hunky dory he's fine. When there are issues to sort,he's clueless Hence his history with teams.Play-offs or Chump,he's gone,and think he knows that.

4 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

We've had one of the best defenses in the league over the last 20-25 games. Genuinely surprised so many of you lot are ****ting the bed over a match away at Leicester.

We do not have snd we have not had one of the best defences in the league. We may not have conceded many goals, but our defending is still routinely inept. 

48 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We do not have snd we have not had one of the best defences in the league. We may not have conceded many goals, but our defending is still routinely inept. 

We've conceded 28 in our last 25 and 6 of those have been in 2 particularly bad matches, one with 10 men for an hour. I'd suggest that a vast majority of the league wouldn't mind a record like that.

Whilst Gunn is absolutely earning his money I don't think we've conceded a crazy amount of big chances during that run either. 

They're clearly doing something right.

There really are some absolutely cringeworthy posts on this thread.

6 games to go and all to play for, even given the fact our two best attacking players, and arguably our two best defensive players, have been out for long periods of time this season.

Get a grip, and enjoy the ride because I have no doubt there will be at least one twist between now and the end of the season.

• Like 1

Makes you wonder what he's watching ,certainly different from a lot of other people 

1 hour ago, Ian said:

There really are some absolutely cringeworthy posts on this thread.

6 games to go and all to play for, even given the fact our two best attacking players, and arguably our two best defensive players, have been out for long periods of time this season.

Get a grip, and enjoy the ride because I have no doubt there will be at least one twist between now and the end of the season.

And yours just about tops it off

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

This is why I can't get behind him long term, tactically he's just a Yank Southgate,  totally gutless against teams slightly better than us. 

Where does this idea that coaches/managers are magicians come from?

How many managers do we have to go through without it making much of a difference before people wake up to the fact that it doesn't make as much difference as all that.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Today’s tactics are why Wagner although a lovely man won’t succeed here as a coach. Against any side he feels is superior to us we give up all attacking intent with the aim of nicking a draw. If we go up (which we won’t) but imagine playing like this week in week out in the premiership it would be Hughtonesq in its boredom. To succeed at Norwich you need to have the David attacking Goliath approach when taking on “superior” sides not what we’ve seen against the likes of Southampton at home or this away. 

8 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

We've conceded 28 in our last 25 and 6 of those have been in 2 particularly bad matches, one with 10 men for an hour. I'd suggest that a vast majority of the league wouldn't mind a record like that.

Whilst Gunn is absolutely earning his money I don't think we've conceded a crazy amount of big chances during that run either. 

They're clearly doing something right.

That sounds good till you see that under Farke a majority of the same back 4 only conceded 36 in the entire season. 

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

How many managers do we have to go through without it making much of a difference before people wake up to the fact that it doesn't make as much difference as all that.

If you listen to players who played for us under Lambert they all say that he convinced them they were better than any team they played against. He gave them confidence to compete with sides we had no right too. He backed that up with his decisions that he had faith that they could. It’s very much in the mould of Brian Clough. If you tell players they are capable they think they are. The flip side of this is Wagner and Hughton and that when you tell players they are playing against someone better than them and they can’t compete inevitably we don’t. The words managers use tend to manifest the belief squads have within them. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

By your logic, what's even the point of having one at all?

Can I ask, did you ever play at all? At any level? If you did you'd be able to answer your own question. 

13 hours ago, chicken said:

McLean rubbish and doesn't deserve POTS because of todays game. Wagner is nuts because he said across several tweets rather than just the one, and I will paraphrase "we did well defensively considering the lack of possession owing to us being poor when we did have it, it is no wonder they had opportunities".

Sainz was guilty of trying to dribble it out of our own third and several others were guilty of giving it away far too easily.

Leicester are the best side in this league, absolutely no doubt in my mind. Leeds are behind them. You look at that Leicester line up and then the bench. That is still a decent lower to mid table premier league side. Winks has over 200 appearances for Spurs under his cap plus 20 for Sampdoria in Serie A and is 28.

Before the game everyone on here was calling it a "free hit". I think we all knew that it was either going to be an outstanding performance or Leicester would beat us. I think with our squad right now, two games in four days was probably too much. Of all the games we had left, we knew this would be the most difficult.

The most important thing for me is the response Vs Ipswich. As much as people are calling today "negative tactics" in reality, we need a balanced squad who can play against teams who are better than us. If we go up and try to just out-pass, outplay teams, they'll sit back and pick us off like they did all day with Farke leading us. Wait for those full backs to push on, win the ball back and quickly put it into the space they have left behind them.

We need to be tougher, and yes, at times that may mean we need to be more defensive. That's not usually been our approach with Wagner, and I suspect it won't be as defensive against Ipswich.  

So you think people should be happy after yesterday do you? 

If being solid defensively means conceding three goals then there is clearly something wrong.

You mention the squad, why oh why does Wagner persist with playing players out of position such as Sorensen and McLean at centre back when we have the likes of Batth and Duffy sat on the bench? It makes absolutely no sense at all. Duffy is an international defender and Batth was outstanding last season so why not play people in their right positions?

Also, when we needed a goal he took off Barnes but put a midfielder on and not a striker, is that good management?

The way you defend the club is admirable but, if Wagner doesn’t trust proven players in their correct positions then something is not right with the set up is it? The SD and coach should work together in identifying which players to bring in, something that clearly hasn’t happened with Batth and SVH.

It just goes to show in my opinion that not everyone at the club is working together to get what we all want, a successful football team. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

So you think people should be happy after yesterday do you? 

If being solid defensively means conceding three goals then there is clearly something wrong.

You mention the squad, why oh why does Wagner persist with playing players out of position such as Sorensen and McLean at centre back when we have the likes of Batth and Duffy sat on the bench? It makes absolutely no sense at all. Duffy is an international defender and Batth was outstanding last season so why not play people in their right positions?

Also, when we needed a goal he took off Barnes but put a midfielder on and not a striker, is that good management?

The way you defend the club is admirable but, if Wagner doesn’t trust proven players in their correct positions then something is not right with the set up is it? The SD and coach should work together in identifying which players to bring in, something that clearly hasn’t happened with Batth and SVH.

It just goes to show in my opinion that not everyone at the club is working together to get what we all want, a successful football team. 

Read ALL of the quotes/what he said rather than the clickbait Paddy wants you to see to read more of his article. Pay specific attention to "without ball possession".

Do I think people should be happy? I think we could have played better and still lost 3-1. Most people had it down as a likely loss. Runs come to an end. As with all defeats, the next game is more important. The silly bit is thinking the above, then acting like we could have thrashed them. Some folks really do like negative attention more than sharing in good vibes. Mind you, it's how the tabloids work...

Out of position: Duffy has only just come back from injury and didn't look at his best today. Sorensen and, more so McLean, can pass it out from the back. McLean did very well there in fact. Batth is not so great with the ball at his feet is the thing I can see there. Doing well for Sunderland is one thing, us is another.

Barnes off for a midfielder: Barnes tends to play behind Sargent. Yesterday, we were losing the midfield battle. Barnes was having to drop deeper to help address that. So bringing in a midfielder became pretty obvious. No point having 2 or more strikers if the midfield are losing their battle and the ball is rarely getting through to a striker. 

'Defend the club': Nope, we're talking about a single fixture. The fact that you want to make it about more than that says more about your motivations than mine. The old SD is gone, plenty to moan about in that regard if you want but he's gone. Successful is also relative, this season it was about challenging for the play-offs.

Edited by chicken
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'Organised' - yes - the most compact, hedgehog-like 4-4-2 I've ever seen.

But 'solid'? Don't make me laugh. At least a rolled-up hedgehog has the **** on the outside!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, chicken said:

Then why may I ask did they get relegated last season? Leicester are nowhere near being a 'mid table' PL side. IF they go up and fail to strengthen they will get relegated again PDQ!

4 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

That sounds good till you see that under Farke a majority of the same back 4 only conceded 36 in the entire season. 

Eh? You mean Gibson? I make that 25%.

Wagner clearly had a game plan, one that made sense in the context of our run-in and especially Saturday's derby.  We could have given it all and still lost 5-4. From this perspective, staying in the game until the 95th while being second best all the way does not seem that that bad, even if it was not a happy sight.  It was meant to improve our chances of winning at home on Saturday, which was always the more winnable of the two fixtures.  Also, should we make it to the playoffs, I'd rather play the Scum or Leeds than Leicester.    

• Like 1