Sign in to follow this  
king canary

It has to be Nunez and Sara going forward

This isn't an anti McLean post but the team looks so much more balanced on midfield with these two. 

Nunez's defensive abilities have been a revelation and Wagner deserves a lot of credit for having the guts to use him there- he just needs to stick with him now.

• Like 6

Don't think it needs to be an anti-McLean post at all because Kenny looks great at CB, so it's win-win.

Against the better sides I'd be tempted to play all three of them in midfield, with Josh on his own up front, but thought Núñez was brilliant today and he really does need to play every week.

Edited by Robert N. LiM
  • Like 2

McLean's becoming the left-footed ball-playing centre-half we needed. His moving back to defence set Nunez free.

• Like 1

NUNEZ 100% Man of the Match

Missed opportunity to give Aboh 15 minutes 

I think Kenny has been a revelation this season either at the back or midfield and would love for him to be rewarded with POTS this year although young Rowe would also be fully deserving of that award.

I would not be against seeing Kenny retained at centre back if it meant Nunez and Sara get a good run together for the run in and with CB options on the bench there are plenty of alternatives should it be needed.

• Like 2

A huge part of the balance is Barnes dropping deeper and adding an extra body in midfield. In general we're doing far better at those tactical rotations meaning we're spending less time outnumber in the central third, finding some decent pockets of space and occasional overloads.

It's noticeable how much better we are in transitions both when we win and lose the ball with some quick vertical passes in attack and reliable defensive cover in defence. This is all I've been asking for and addresses my fundamental problem with playing two strikers. 

I love McLean the centre back. He adds a whole extra dimension in the defensive line (and his ability to break from it). Teams really struggle to cope when he pushes into midfield because no one knows who should be picking him up and, invariably, whoever does then leaves someone else free.

But, yes, I'm very happy with the Nunez/Sara partnership. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

McLean's becoming the left-footed ball-playing centre-half we needed. His moving back to defence set Nunez free.

He's done well but I think Gibson has also played this role well this season.

Personally I think the choice should be McLean or Gibson, not McLean or Nunez.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Petriix said:

A huge part of the balance is Barnes dropping deeper and adding an extra body in midfield. In general we're doing far better at those tactical rotations meaning we're spending less time outnumber in the central third, finding some decent pockets of space and occasional overloads.

It's noticeable how much better we are in transitions both when we win and lose the ball with some quick vertical passes in attack and reliable defensive cover in defence. This is all I've been asking for and addresses my fundamental problem with playing two strikers. 

I love McLean the centre back. He adds a whole extra dimension in the defensive line (and his ability to break from it). Teams really struggle to cope when he pushes into midfield because no one knows who should be picking him up and, invariably, whoever does then leaves someone else free.

But, yes, I'm very happy with the Nunez/Sara partnership. 

Always think you speak a lot of sense. Agree with all you say here. 

• Thanks 1

Nunez should be one of the first names on the teamsheet along with Gunn and Sargent. It's been that way for a while, which is why it's been so frustrating seeing him dropped two or three times.

I think Nunez deserves a run but he's always been subject to a couple excellent games to then getting muscled off the ball 20 times and kick it out of play for a weird 60 minute spell in a third game.

I would say in his recent revival he's looked stronger physically and has improved that part of the game. No problem with them as a pairing but be interesting to see if they can be effective against the better teams + away from home.

Has anyone got stats on results when we've played Mclean in defence, compared to Gibson.

In my mind (happy and likely to be proven wrong) our revival started when we started playing Mclean in defence. I know Wagner has swapped Gibson back, but we certainly seem to concede less with Kenny at CB, and like many say, our midfield is then more balanced  

• Like 1

Nunez was good. I lost count of the number of pin point cross field passes.

McLean good at CB although Hanley was as rusty as an old nail.

Stacey an absolute machine and Sainz always moving us forward.

1 hour ago, daly said:

NUNEZ 100% Man of the Match

Missed opportunity to give Aboh 15 minutes 

Thought he was superb today, as was Kenny (again), Josh and Jack Stacey. Four MoM performances just there

1 hour ago, king canary said:

He's done well but I think Gibson has also played this role well this season.

Personally I think the choice should be McLean or Gibson, not McLean or Nunez.

Kingo your OP is bang on and this for the time being is true to, but the reality, we shouldn’t need McLean as a CB! Sad that we’re in tgat position. I’ve been very vocal of Numez & Sarah to start, McLean has been very consistent and solid this season so dropping him in the starting line up would mean Nunez or Barnes! For me a no brainier and Numez.

But by dropping McLean to CB we can accommodate all the options! Today it worked really well!

Edited by Indy

The only way to fit Barnes, Sara, McLean and Nuñez is by playing the formation we did today. It's incredibly tough to leave any of them out right now, so I'd stick with it. 

But saying that, even if we did play Gibson and leave one of those four on the bench, it gives us a useful weapon for the final half an hour depending on the flow of the game. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I think Nunez deserves a run but he's always been subject to a couple excellent games to then getting muscled off the ball 20 times and kick it out of play for a weird 60 minute spell in a third game.

I would say in his recent revival he's looked stronger physically and has improved that part of the game. No problem with them as a pairing but be interesting to see if they can be effective against the better teams + away from home.

I think he was just adjusting to English football. Its taken him some time, but he's more consistent now and IMO one of our best players with Sargent, Rowe and Sara. 

Agreed. Dropping Nunez for recent games was ridiculous. He makes us tick. He was MOTM by miles today in my view. He must not be dropped again. 

Kenny, Nunez, Sara, Sainz. Get them all in the team and get them on the ball, hurting teams, not chasing shadows in a low block.

3 hours ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Don't think it needs to be an anti-McLean post at all because Kenny looks great at CB, so it's win-win.

Against the better sides I'd be tempted to play all three of them in midfield, with Josh on his own up front, but thought Núñez was brilliant today and he really does need to play every week.

Agree with this, both the three in midfield against better teams and Kenny at CB. I still don’t like the formation we played today against stronger sides but it works better with Kenny at CB due to his composure and ability to bring the ball out of defence into midfield. 

4 hours ago, Indy said:

Kingo your OP is bang on and this for the time being is true to, but the reality, we shouldn’t need McLean as a CB! Sad that we’re in tgat position. I’ve been very vocal of Numez & Sarah to start, McLean has been very consistent and solid this season so dropping him in the starting line up would mean Nunez or Barnes! For me a no brainier and Numez.

But by dropping McLean to CB we can accommodate all the options! Today it worked really well!

My phone drives me mad too with auto correct!

Revolutionary thinking drafting in one of the women's team to play CM. 

Numez and Sarah?! 🙂

20 hours ago, king canary said:

This isn't an anti McLean post but the team looks so much more balanced on midfield with these two. 

Nunez's defensive abilities have been a revelation and Wagner deserves a lot of credit for having the guts to use him there- he just needs to stick with him now.

I agree,  but we can't drop Kenny. He is often the driving force from the back. Keep Kenny at cb