Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Message for those that think booing is acceptable

Just think before you boo..........if you are capable of thinking.

Booing is the most damaging thing you can do during a match. I see people laugh it off as if it isn't important - that booing is just part and parcel of going to football matches - a bit like children going to a pantomime and cheering the good guys and booing the villains. Thats all well and good at pantomimes - it is expected !  I'll agree that football is like a pantomime sometimes - but the villains are the opposition, not your own!!!!

Booing is damaging - because it gets under people's skins - so if you want to boo something, boo the opposition.

Think about it - it makes sense.

I don’t disagree with much of what you write and there’s clearly an impact upon the sub coming on (albeit he scored) - but we do need to be clear that the booing was aimed at the boss and not the team. 
Not saying that makes it right. 

• Like 1

I mean, it is acceptable at the end of a game if we've thrown it away, or been totally inept. 

Or even at half time for the same reasons. 

What isn't acceptable is doing it in the middle of a game when 2-1 up! That's what was moronic! See what the game brings and if we go on to lose it or chuck the points away then fine, boo, hiss, chant Wagner out, whatever. But how anyone thinks what happened last night is in any way shape or form a good or necessary thing is lunacy. 

It feels more that a section has made their minds up on wags and it's any chance to jump on him. 

I will fully admit his subs sometimes beggers belief. But WAIT until the final result has come in before coming to a conclusion of how we ended up there!! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I mean, it is acceptable at the end of a game if we've thrown it away, or been totally inept. 

Or even at half time for the same reasons. 

What isn't acceptable is doing it in the middle of a game when 2-1 up! That's what was moronic! See what the game brings and if we go on to lose it or chuck the points away then fine, boo, hiss, chant Wagner out, whatever. But how anyone thinks what happened last night is in any way shape or form a good or necessary thing is lunacy. 

It feels more that a section has made their minds up on wags and it's any chance to jump on him. 

I will fully admit his subs sometimes beggers belief. But WAIT until the final result has come in before coming to a conclusion of how we ended up there!! 

Also wait until you find out why the substitutions were made in the first place!!!  Could have totally blown the match for us last night by lowering our team morale and boosting the opposition.  I'm not a big fan of Wagner but last nights booing during the game was moronic and totally ill thought out (not that I think that any logical thought went into it).

Edited by Lord Horn (again)
  • Like 4

It stinks of entitlement ... a classic situation of a fan base that's tasted recent success and expects the good times to be forever rolling - we more than most should know that the Championship doesn't work like that.

I never boo the manager because I always assume that they know FAR more than I do about the physical & mental state of the players that they work alongside every day and they're doing their very best to win. I may not want them to be running the show any more but I haven't ever booed ... they are part of MY club ... they're on MY side.

Considering that most fans polled put us outside the playoffs before the season started I think we should be singing Wagner's praises to be fair.

I fully agree with his comments about respect, trust and support.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Just think before you boo..........if you are capable of thinking.

Booing is the most damaging thing you can do during a match. I see people laugh it off as if it isn't important - that booing is just part and parcel of going to football matches - a bit like children going to a pantomime and cheering the good guys and booing the villains. Thats all well and good at pantomimes - it is expected !  I'll agree that football is like a pantomime sometimes - but the villains are the opposition, not your own!!!!

Booing is damaging - because it gets under people's skins - so if you want to boo something, boo the opposition.

Think about it - it makes sense.

Oh fcuk off!

This is getting pathetic, I somewhat agree about booing a sub coming on.

But I think Wagner needs to grow some balls, he cost us 2 points against QPR with his bat****.

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Booing is the most damaging thing you can do during a match.

It is funny how much booing winds some folks up.

I thought the reaction to the subs was a bit OTT last night. But clearly it didn't do that much damage was we went on to score two more goals and win the game. There have been plenty of times when the team has been booed at half time and gone on to win the game second half.

It really isn't as important as people like to make out. 

• Like 2

Another attempt at the unity Sara has pleaded for.... sigh!

"It is funny how much booing winds some folks up.." I worry about people's health the way they get all worked up...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's being vastly overplayed, but pinkun, radio norfolk and social media will dine out on the 'supporters stay at home' headline as it brings them eyes.  And that will keep this circling I feel.

It was clear from the players response to booing that this did affect them, and Wagner's remarks has came off the back of them discussing it as a group in the changing room.   My perspective is that the distain was driven through fear of losing the points as we see Sarge leaving the field as vs QPR.   I didn't get the feeling this was some kind of minority divide as was the vast majority of the crowd where I sat.

I'm fully supportive of the team and coach, but I was part of those making a noise in frustration that Sarge was being pulled off, as it's very hard not to get caught up in the atmosphere at that moment as you default to the 'here we go again' mindset.   

But the boo's built up after that initial moment, and I think a lot of people got caught in further caused through that initial frustration.  That felt more petulant and to me as I was then at the point of thinking that this was a change through necessity rather than tactical.

But overall, I just see it as an event that has happened, and we now know the reasoning behind these changes it allows us to be more appreciative of the situation, and the result hopefully helps settles the doubt people had. 

Those that can only focus on the 'stay at home' headline are going to find this quite a sticking point however.  I think there's some genuine supporters in there who will feel hurt by such comments as they consider it a 'no go' area, but there's also going to be a few who will use this as a stick as they want all remnants of the Webber era to be outed from this club.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, king canary said:

It is funny how much booing winds some folks up.

I thought the reaction to the subs was a bit OTT last night. But clearly it didn't do that much damage was we went on to score two more goals and win the game. There have been plenty of times when the team has been booed at half time and gone on to win the game second half.

That depends on how you view what booing is all about. For a lot of people it's the ultimate expression of negativity.  For others it seems to be the first port of call when there is the slightest thing they are unhappy about. 

I'm in the first group, viewing booing as being a last resort and should be reserved for opposition players and bad officiating. Booing your own side, whether it's the manager or players, seems so ridiculous, unless things are really bad.  

Not a big deal? Ask the players and manager - they will tell you it is a big deal. 

Ah yes a heavy dose of condescension will solve the issue, well done.

Lakey, you cant say you haven’t supported the booers feelings with your constant Farke love in threads. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Lakey, you cant say you haven’t supported the booers feelings with your constant Farke love in threads. 

Maybe, but even I can see, from 300 odd miles away that we need to accept this manager as he is - for all his foibles - after all he isn't going anywhere soon. 

No manager is perfect, including Farke. I don't think Wagner is the long term solution, but I might be wrong about that - but whatever any of us feels, we are still going up the league, we are one of the form teams in the division and we plainly have the players to do well. Could he be doing better? Maybe, but that is open to argument given the injuries we've had to different players.

Surely everyone in our fanbase knows that to do well as a club we need tgetherness - that feeling of all of us pulling together in the cause of Norwich City?  Surely even the simplest minded fan can understand that booing subs during a match isn't helping that cause? 

I'm no angel, I've had harsh words to say about Smith and Wagner, about Webber and even about Delia/MJW occasionally, but what I do see is a manager doing his best, getting a tune out of a squad that has been struggling to find fitness and form.

Sargent was right with his "calm down" gestures.  The only clubs doing better than us right now are Leicester and Leeds, so  "calm down or stay at home" would be about right imo.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Bro, I didn’t boo last night but how does it feel to tell people what to do on the internet? Must be really cool.

1 hour ago, The Real Buh said:

Bro, I didn’t boo last night but how does it feel to tell people what to do on the internet? Must be really cool.

Because telling people on the internet not to tell people on the internet not to boo is totally cool, right?

1 minute ago, The Bunny said:

Because telling people on the internet not to tell people on the internet not to boo is totally cool, right?

You’ll have to direct me to where I’ve said that at all. Or not.

Edited by The Real Buh

This problem is not confined to City. Football in general has sucked in clueless numpties who believe they are entitled to an  experience' what ever that might entail. They are encouraged in their stupidity by an abundance of social media. With City having their own Chuckle Brothers on SqwarkNorwich filling those silly heads with their nonsense.

Unable to grasp that there maybe reasons for various substitutions, they are not privy to, they can only cry out in pain, by making a strange cow like noise. This disruption can now be seen in theatres where the same stupid numpties have been turning up - having no grasp of the basic tenets, they perform you watch and so are 'joining in'. Disrupting the performance with their singing. Much as at some mucic venues where the slow witted are now chucking objects at performers.

Stupidity is no longer the badge of shame it once was. Social media has shown there are similar stupid people out there, and encouraging idiots to find common cause., and ways to express their stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am not condoning the booing but it is easy to criticise from the comfort of the armchair.

We were 2-0 up and cruising and threw away a two nil lead.

Not everybody could see that Sarge and Onel were struggling

A centre forward was replaced with a midfielder, suggesting a defensive rather than offensive approach from the head coach

People got upset, quite a lot of people and they booed, wrongly as it turned out. You had to be there to experience what a strange night it was...............

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Booing is the most damaging thing you can do during a match.

Really?

You clearly didn't go to matches in the 1980s.

• Like 1

Just now, Pyro Pete said:

Really?

Reading that back is pretty hilarious to be fair. Just imagine getting so emotional that you can’t see anything being worse than booing.

At West Brom vs Wolves the other week was the booing the bad part lol

• Like 1

Booing, the 20%, small group of fans, self entitled fans, damaging, don’t come to the next game.

All things I’ve heard or read. But the fact is it was the whole of the Barclay and Snakepit. Let’s not kid ourselves this is where our main supporters sit. The tier 1 fan so to speak. Maybe we should listen and engage with that group of people as they are the blood flow that keeps heart beating. 

Delia, Knapper, Wagner should offer ahead of the next home game an opportunity to arrive 30 minutes early and they go round those stands speaking to our most important elements of our fan base. See what they say, try and explain on a personal level and try to deescalate the frustrations through simple communication.

Almost ironic this post is written by a self confessed fan who doesn’t go to games.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Oh fcuk off!

This is getting pathetic, I somewhat agree about booing a sub coming on.

But I think Wagner needs to grow some balls, he cost us 2 points against QPR with his bat****.

But gained us 6 v cov and last night, something which is conveniently forgotten about 

2 minutes ago, MC_NCFC said:

Booing, the 20%, small group of fans, self entitled fans, damaging, don’t come to the next game.

All things I’ve heard or read. But the fact is it was the whole of the Barclay and Snakepit. Let’s not kid ourselves this is where our main supporters sit. The tier 1 fan so to speak. Maybe we should listen and engage with that group of people as they are the blood flow that keeps heart beating. 

Delia, Knapper, Wagner should offer ahead of the next home game an opportunity to arrive 30 minutes early and they go round those stands speaking to our most important elements of our fan base. See what they say, try and explain on a personal level and try to deescalate the frustrations through simple communication.

Almost ironic this post is written by a self confessed fan who doesn’t go to games.

There’s plenty of fans that are upset, call them 20%ers or whatever and what they want is very simple 

They want a clean slate. We’ve still got all of this baggage from all these previously failed misadventures in the premier league and all sorts and it’s just a huge cannonball tied to us. 

This club is strong but sometimes you’ve got to burn the forest down to encourage new growth. This club needs a clean slate with the ghosts of the past exorcised.

• Like 1

To be fair, there is an argument that the booing actually led to us winning the game.

Parma's analysis on Ricardo's report (I trust Parma, more than I do Wagner) highlights that the subs coming on was a defensive move, that Wagner was actually looking to protect the points (remember we were still winning at that stage). However we let a goal in 15 minutes later through some shocking midfield play from Sainz and McLean. 

An argument can be made that if the original substitution had not been booed, just shrugged off as something Wagner does, the state of malaise the team were in may well have remained and Watford could have pushed on. Continuing the argument, the memory of the booing galvanised the team into proving the booers that they do care, hence pushing forward as a reaction to the equaliser to score 2 more goals.

Ergo, some could argue, booing is good, keep on booing. It's an argument ... 

Each to their own. Its as valid an argument as the pile on from many on here the past 24 hours.

Anyway, we got to 6th, on to Cardiff and another Wagner selection tombola, and  3 more points.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We had to wait a long time for Josh Sargent to come back from injury and we all want to see him play as many minutes as possible but we have to trust David Wagner to handle his comeback especially as Josh himself said he was struggling and we now know Onel Hernandez said at half time he was feeling an injury so taking them of seems to make sense ok we can all have an opinion about who replaces them but Wagner who makes those decisions and the time to decide if those decisions are right or wrong is at the end of the game look at the result a 4-2 win and another 3 points so all the booing was totally unjustified the only people to boo are the opposition never your own team or the coaching staff just because you think you know more than them a supporter should encourage the team not behave like some demo mob 

4 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Really?

If you're referring to violence and abuse, those things are reprehensible, but they are symptoms of what was going in society at that time - violence for the sake of violence and precious little to do with football. 

As I said, some people plainly think booing is not that bad a thing, a perfectly ok way of reacting to the football. For others, booing your own is like shooting yourself in the foot - damaging and degrading. 

The truth is clear - if you listen to what the players and managers say. They say they understand fans can get unhappy and frustrated, but even so, they say it is damaging and unhelpful. 

People ought to think about that a bit more, imo. 

• Like 1