S_81

Wagner’s stupid subs

After a poor first half we found our rhythm second half and started it really well. We got ourselves ahead, looked like we could go on to get a third - and then Wagner, with 70 not even on the clock - decides to protect a one goal lead. 

It was Southgate-like. With the same inevitable outcome - inviting pressure onto a team who are better going forward than back. 

Really unclear why Sarge wasn’t replaced with Sydney either - if the former had to come off at that point (which IMO he didn’t). What’s the point in the latter signing if he gets no time in a game like today when we are level.  

QPR are a poor team and Wagner cost us two points. That may well be very costly end of season. 

• Like 10

Just now, Virtual reality said:

The subbing of Sargent seemed bizarre, he didn’t appear to be injured or struggling at all. Cost us the points in my opinion 

He did so that he would be available for Watford on Tuesday but took him off far too early, and should have brought SVH on 

Yup agreed Wagner cost us the win here with inept subs.

The entire armchair world of FM and Fifa sat there saying...

"Ok so I need my top fella for Tuesday ok...
  We winning 2-1.... need to hold that...."
"Got a up and coming striker wanting to prove himself on the bench.... i got a plan here...."

" I R TEH TAKES OFF MOI STRIKAH NEAL AND REPLACES HIMS WIFF A MIDFIELDER NEAL"
"GORN A LEAVE THAT OL BOY BARNES ON THAR, HES GOOD FUR ANOTHER HARRR"

• Like 1

We've wasted this season keeping that muppet at the helm. We'd be easily top 6 but for the points Wagner's mind-boggling decisions have cost us.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

He did so that he would be available for Watford on Tuesday but took him off far too early, and should have brought SVH on 

Surely we should just concentrate on getting the 3 points in the bag today before getting ahead of ourselves. Wrong decision to take him off at all. Those two lost points could be costly 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'll reserve judgement until i hear Wagner's reasoning....but Stacey crossed for Sargent to put us ahead. .10 mins later he'd taken the pair off

Stacey had been ill in the build up to the game apparently. 

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'll reserve judgement until i hear Wagner's reasoning....but Stacey crossed for Sargent to put us ahead. .10 mins later he'd taken the pair off

It was confirmed Stacey ill, but why take sargent off at that point

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

Surely we should just concentrate on getting the 3 points in the bag today before getting ahead of ourselves. Wrong decision to take him off at all. Those two lost points could be costly 

This.

Worry about the here and now. I hoped Wagner had turned the table, but I have massive doubts about him again. Tried to be too clever against a team who clearly weren't going to lay down and let us win.

• Like 2

But it was the left hand side which conceded the goal, which was unchanged. We were still fairly open at the back all game. Would have conceded no doubt anyway. Needed a 3rd. 

Sarge has been out for a long time and you can already see a massive difference in our overall performance with and without him. It's easy to criticise the decision to not put too much of a load on him maybe costing us two points, but having him do himself in for another long term injury for doing too much too soon could finish up being far more costly.

• Like 1

Indeed Sargent has to be one we’re careful with, two games coming up this week!

Barnes was non existent the last 20 minutes, was utterly pointless to keep on, should have been replaced the same time as Sargent with VH. Didn’t understand the Sorensen sub if I’m honest unless Stacey has an injury, I see he was I’ll further up but was playing ok to that point! Daft

Edited by Indy

36 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

The subbing of Sargent seemed bizarre, he didn’t appear to be injured or struggling at all. Cost us the points in my opinion 

Josh actually came to the side of the pitch had a word a minute before he was subbed - I had it in mind that he’d said he was done, but can’t be sure.

Imo the subs weren’t too bad - my main criticism was that we didn’t keep one ‘in hand’.  Fact is we had the initiative and they didn’t make us lose it.  For all the banging on about Rowe not starting, he was probably the worst of the subs and could now be injured. 

At the end of the day, but for a bad bit of keeping from Gunn (which Long would have been ripped apart for) we’d have won.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Wagner has the resources, but seems to lack tactical nous at times, it's bloody frustrating.

I am however, going to leave it at that and be grateful we got a point.

Wagner messed up today, no doubt, but we're on good form, didn't get beat and now have two winnable home games. We shouldn't go overboard. 

Taking Sarge off is kind of understandable with Tuesday in mind but SvH should have came on. Barnes should never lead the line on his own - he hasn't got the legs for it. That needs to never happen again unless we have no option.

• Like 5

Had Idah been here there's no question in my mind he would have come on for Sargent. So why not bring on Van Hooijdonk? It seemed the obvious sub to make.

• Like 4

Wagner will be sacked at the end of the season for not getting us into the playoffs. Next season we will have a good manager and different owners who want us back to the premier league 

20 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Stacey had been ill in the build up to the game apparently. 

1 minute ago, Virtual reality said:

Wagner is redeemed as it appears that Sargent only trained twice this week and the plan was only to give him 60 minutes, Stacey was ill, which we know and most worrying is it could be a hamstring injury for Rowe

Then have a replacement on the bench. 

If Stacey had been ill leading up to the game then why the hell wasnt Fisher named as a sub? Another strange decision from the Clueless German! 

Edited by TheBaldOne66
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Sarge has been out for a long time and you can already see a massive difference in our overall performance with and without him. It's easy to criticise the decision to not put too much of a load on him maybe costing us two points, but having him do himself in for another long term injury for doing too much too soon could finish up being far more costly.

Possibly, but then replace him with another forward. 

4 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Wagner is redeemed as it appears that Sargent only trained twice this week and the plan was only to give him 60 minutes, Stacey was ill, which we know and most worrying is it could be a hamstring injury for Rowe

https://x.com/cgoreham/status/1756371067768123556?s=46&t=12k3jEugNq5vxKFcnDRw6g

See my post above - Josh 100% came over to the bench just before being subbed.

These days, people do seem incapable of trying to find out before they jump off at the deep end. 

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

See my post above - Josh 100% came over to the bench just before being subbed.

These days, people do seem incapable of trying to find out before they jump off at the deep end. 

Still doesn't excuse not putting VH on instead, putting Barnes up there killed us.

And if Stacey was known to have been ill, where was the replacement right-back?

Bafflingly stupid.

Yeah can’t argue with the OP. 

Wagner firstly should have started Nunez IMO and left Barnes as a sub which worked so well last week. 

I understand the need to be careful with Sarge.. but if we’re going to sub him early and cost us points then really what is the point? He may as well be injured!! If he must make the sub, then it has to be for SVH and keep the same set up.

Really annoyed to seemingly given away 2 points. If he leaves it till 75/80 mins I reckon Sarge Probably scores again and puts the game to bed.

Puts a bit more pressure on Tuesday now, which is must win if Playoffs are the aim. 4 points from these two is a minimum. 

30 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Steady on, old fellow. That sort of approach will never do. Not on here anyway.

Angry, irrational rants are what are needed, not reasoned discussion

• Haha 1

The issue wasn’t just Sargent coming off, it was 20 minutes later at 2-2 deciding to replace Giannoulis with McCallum when we had a striker on the bench and Barnes up top on his own, who’d been pretty ineffective all game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Still doesn't excuse not putting VH on instead, putting Barnes up there killed us.

And if Stacey was known to have been ill, where was the replacement right-back?

Bafflingly stupid.

Yeah this. I can't think of a time when having Barnes as our only striker has worked. He's not got the legs to do that role, especially when we're trying to defend and he's already played for 65 minutes. 

Take Sargent off if you have to but no need to change a system that seemed to be working when you've got a straight swap on the bench.

• Like 3