S_81

Wagner’s stupid subs

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Totally agree. last week was (arguably) our best performance (Or close to) of the season. Also, the cameo by Barnes was (in many peoples eyes) one  of his nest performances (a low bar of achievement it has to be said) so why the hell change the line up! Barnes can't manage 90 minutes nor can he lead the line himself. The fact that he did so yesterday was a shocking indictment of Wagner's judgement.    

I was at the game yesterday and I have to agree. Really not sure why we needed to change our left-back for the last 10 minutes when we had a fit and healthy 6'3" striker on the bench to replace a clearly ailing and ineffective Barnes. And Sainz still looked the player most likely to unlock QPR, so didn't see the logic in that change either.

I could understand moving Sara into the 10 role when we went 2-1 up, but leaving Barnes up top on his own was really poor judgement. One would hope it didn't go unnoticed by Mr Knapper when he considers how the club is going to move forward next season.

• Like 2

Wagner usually conjures up an excuse for his substitutions and points dropping decisions. Some are valid, most are flimsy.

Yesterday was no exception.

Edited by BroadstairsR

In fact, thinking about the decision to play Barnes upfront by himself while the new signing kicked his heels and was 'not even a consideration' to be introduced is so bizarre, so ridiculous that I now feel there is absolutely zero chance of finishing in the play off spots. The fact that the manager didn't even make a reasoned case is even more bewildering. This plus the hamstring injury to Rowe has effectively stuffed what remains of our season.

15 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

In fact, thinking about the decision to play Barnes upfront by himself while the new signing kicked his heels and was 'not even a consideration' to be introduced is so bizarre, so ridiculous that I now feel there is absolutely zero chance of finishing in the play off spots. The fact that the manager didn't even make a reasoned case is even more bewildering. This plus the hamstring injury to Rowe has effectively stuffed what remains of our season.

Making the playoffs and winning them, I don't see how we could sack Wagner.

Not making the playoffs and the way forward is crystal clear. And it won't be Wagner.

Making the playoffs and losing them in the semi-finals is messy. Losing them at Wembley is even messier.

Edited by canarybubbles

22 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

I think a new striker who's only trained for a week, playing in a new league under a new system in a new country not being thrown in is actually a brave call from Wagner.

He could have easily thrown him in for 20 minutes even if he's not ready and doesn't understand the system. Then if he was a complete failure everyone could have blamed Knapper for a rubbish signing. 

Managers have far more to consider than fans. I can understand him not wanting to risk impacting a new signings confidence by bringing him on when he's not really ready and getting stick from the fans (entirely plausible from our lot).

58 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Making the playoffs and winning them, I don't see how we could sack Wagner.

Not making the playoffs and the way forward is crystal clear. And it won't be Wagner.

Making the playoffs and losing them in the semi-finals is messy. Losing them at Wembley is even messier.

I don't see why not, if we can do better. He'd be leaving on a high as well so it would probably be good for him in terms of getting another position. Better to make a decision in the Summer than in a panic mid-season.

Not to say I'm advocating doing so, but I think it needs to be a big picture decision. It has to come down to what's best for the club, not what people think a paid employee is owed because they were part of delivering a success.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

10 minutes ago, Channon’s Windmill said:

Just read the reasoning for Sainz coming off was DW thought he was on a yellow???? Surely one of the bench could have checked with the 4th official to confirm, but bizarre.

This is a really odd one. After our second goal, after our group celebration had subsided and the players were jogging back to the centre circle, I clearly saw the referee show a yellow card to one of our players, and I was almost certain it was Sainz. However, no card showed up on the statistics anywhere that I can see.

We scored in the 62nd minute so it seems a bit bizarre to wait until the 86th minute to sub Sainz if he was thought to be on a yellow. At that point we had 4 other players on yellows as well.

• Like 1

apparently Van Hooijdonk didnt make an appearance on Saturday because ball number 14 was inadvertently not loaded into the substitute tombola machine at Colney last week

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

apparently Van Hooijdonk didnt make an appearance on Saturday because ball number 14 was inadvertently not loaded into the substitute tombola machine at Colney last week

And what about Fisher? To lose one tombola ball may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose both seems like carelessness.