cambridgeshire canary

So we get rid of Idah and replace him with Hoojidonk

Donk for Idah; A good deal?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Donk, a good deal?

• Yes
    • No
    • PUT A DONK ON IT

We thinking thats a good deal then? Intetestingly it seems that Celtic were after Donk and then we went and.. Took him from them and said 'hey here have Idah hes world class we swear!' 

Time will obviously tell. Idah is by no means a bad striker, but given he has had golden opportunities to establish himself in the first eleven and never has, swapping him for a striker who might makes sense to me. Especially if we make money on the exchange and he has a decent sell on clause. It’s probably the best result for all parties unfortunately.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 2

It's an improvement in my book. Idah had his chance and proved to not be good/consistent enough and as having poor decision making and football intellect. Van Hooijdonk comes from good footballing stock and is proven to score goals in the Netherlands. That is absolutely no guarantee of a return, of course, but I just feel that because Idah failed to impress so many times, a punt on someone else is something that I am prepared to give a chance and get behind. He can score and he will now have played in 3 countries and for me, that is an element of experience I can see working in his favour, and subsequently ours. 

Edited by JB

Idah has gone. City sign Hooijdonk.

Norwich was hesitant to approve Idah’s loan to Celtic until they secured a replacement, and with van Hooijdonk’s agreement to join the Canaries, this condition has now been met. Copied From Celtic paper.

Edited by City 2nd

Makes sense. Both are loans. Both can be assessed in the summer. Idah looked shot of confidence and generally a waste of a shirt. I doubt that was going to change. Maybe a few months at Celtic will alter that. He’ll certainly have no excuses for not scoring goals up there against some of that league. 

• Like 2

Know nothing about him really do we? He could be a disaster so it’s a bit of a silly poll really isn’t it?

• Like 1

Take a step back and take Idah out of equation. We are 2 points from the playoffs all are rivals have strengthen there squads. We are about to sell are second top goal scorer when under no obligation to do so. Then replace him with a player who has never played in English football.

We need to be adding players not selling them. I feel sorry for Wagner the club publicly backed him when things were going wrong. Somehow he has managed to turn it around a playoff push is now on and the board have stopped backing him. It’s very inconsistent. 

I do wonder if he’ll name two goalkeepers on the bench again on Saturday. If he does it’s clearly two fingers up at the board.

I'd have liked to have kept Idah for the remainder of the season as an impact sub as we have seen he can be effective late in games in that role.

However the player himself will want to play and start games and you cant begrudge him that

• Like 1

If Idah can’t cut it here, how will he do it there. A much harder Gig!

But if it comes good for him, and I hope it does, then what will that tell us about coaching at Norwich City?

4 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

If Idah can’t cut it here, how will he do it there. A much harder Gig!

But if it comes good for him, and I hope it does, then what will that tell us about coaching at Norwich City?

If we are serious about a play-off place, succeeding in them and eventual promotion (hic!) then we cannot be serious about Adam Idah. 

I wonder if Sargent's injury is still hampering him. If that's the case, Idah has shown he is not an able like for like replacement. If Sarge is struggling, Barnes and Idah is not the way forward. We need a change and the full stats on Hooijdonk ( which Knapper will know) could be another reason.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

If we are serious about a play-off place, succeeding in them and eventual promotion (hic!) then we cannot be serious about Adam Idah. 

If we're serious about play-offs we wouldn't even be considering getting rid of Idah or Giannoulis. Basically we're left with an unfit and overweight Sargent and an old and slow Barnes. Incoming Van Hooijdonk who hasn't scored this season for a club who are already looking to bin him off.

If anything we need an additional striker not one less.

Edited by Capt. Pants

I wonder if Sargent's injury is still hampering him. If that's the case, Idah has shown he is not an able like for like replacement. If Sarge is struggling, Barnes and Idah is not the way forward. We need a change and the full stats on Hooijdonk ( which Knapper will know) could be another reason.

• Like 1

I've got a good feeling about this signing, but don't know if that's just because of the pedigree of his father, and if I ignore the annoying little voice in the back of my head which keeps whispering "remember Paul Dalglish".

I feel that Idah may be the winner in this as it's a great platform to build confidence and he'll know if he's got it playing with that level of squad going against mid-lower SPL sides.   He's more than capable, it seems more that the fire needs lighting.   He's come on better this season having Barnes as mentor too, you can see he's better shielding the ball and using his size.

I know nothing of Hooijdonk though. 

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I feel that Idah may be the winner in this as it's a great platform to build confidence and he'll know if he's got it playing with that level of squad going against mid-lower SPL sides. 

On the other hand, the title race is tight this year in the SPL and if they bottle it and let Rangers in he'll be at risk of being made one of the scapegoats if he doesn't hit the ground running quickly.

I suppose another way of looking at it is that one out of Idah and Cantwell will be lifting a trophy at the end of this season! Both annoy me in different ways, but I wouldn't begrudge either of them that.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

On the other hand, the title race is tight this year in the SPL and if they bottle it and let Rangers in he'll be at risk of being made one of the scapegoats if he doesn't hit the ground running quickly.

I can't see him failing personally, he's got so many assets and a change of scenery with that kind of backing will be a really positive influence on him.   But on top of that you're playing for the far better team in vast majority of matches which allows confidence and rhythm to build.

People sleeping on his talent because he's become accustomed to being the bridesmaid at this club and surrounded by doubters.  It will be nothing but adoration when he walks out on that field, they have a completely different mindset to us.

10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

People sleeping on his talent because he's become accustomed to being the bridesmaid at this club and surrounded by doubters.  It will be nothing but adoration when he walks out on that field, they have a completely different mindset to us.

I'm not so sure that is true. Both Celtic and Rangers fans are quick to change from adoring to hating a player with venom (much worse than Norwich fans).

If he shows the same lack of enthusiasm and effort and misses some easy opportunities like he has done in numerous games for us then he will be in big trouble. A half hearted performance in the Rangers/Celtic game alone would make him an instant target of derision by their fans.

I think it's quite a risk for him (and us if he 'fails' and gets sent back).

Idah has all the "attributes" to be a top striker except (imo) the intelligence to make the right runs, the intelligence to make the right pass, the intelligence to know when to shoot and when to hold... It's time to go. he'll do well for Celtic as he'll get three times the chances he gets here per game.

New blood upfront, may work, may not. Idah isn't working so nothing to lose.

3 minutes ago, rock bus said:

If he shows the same lack of enthusiasm and effort and misses some easy opportunities like he has done in numerous games for us then he will be in big trouble.

He won't though, he's more than capable of scoring in a team that is far better than the majority of it's opposition.  Most of the time he's feeding off scraps here and we're barely able to break 50% posession on teams - look at Celtic's stats as a comparison, they're 70%+ average, generating 16 shots per game and converting 15%.   

We're 48%, 10 shots per game and converting 15%, so all he's going to have is more chances and less pressure on having to cover defensively while still maintaining a similar strike rate.

And again, he'll have nothing but adoration from those supporters from the first minute, he's fighting against the moans and groans here, it will be next level what he experiences up there.

If he doesn't deliver then he hasn't got it, simple as that.  But i'd back him to deliver, more than capable in that environment.

Loan only makes a lot of sense, I think that was the issue with Verona wanting the option to buy and the club saying no on that basis.

Would be great if this happened, as we can all become part time Celtic fans for half a season!

Surprised if it's only a loan but I guess if he has a good run up there and they want him we can ask for more, or if not he comes back with new experiences, or AshBash could be offloaded in the summer and we have USA, hugedonk and AI as our 3 options with a kid as 4th backup. 

So could be a masterstroke. 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

4 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

Sons of famous fathers….

……I give you Paul Dalglish

Jamie Redknapp did ok, as did Stephen Warnock…and all pros who don’t have ex-pro fathers?!

4 hours ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

Sons of famous fathers….

……I give you Paul Dalglish

I see your Paul Dalglish and raise you Angus Gunn 

• Like 1