Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Players deserve our support.

Forget Wagner, Knapper, Webber (either or both depending how tinfoil hat about club operations you are), Delia, MWJ and Attanassio.

The players are putting in a shift. They deserve a little bit of vocal support at home. I dont rate Duffy but second half he was first to everything and totally committed. I dont rate Onel but he came on, defended from the front, put the effort in and ultimately helped deliver the winning goal.

At half time there was a thread on here quite rightly questioning if Barnes was even worth a place in the squad. But second half he was a huge reason why we won.

The atmosphere has been diabolical and during our terrible run I sort of understood it. But as we are now the players deserve it. They aren't dropping tools. They are certainly together and playing for the manager even if we all don't think he's necessarily the future. 

As a football fan I don't understand why you wouldn't back them at the next home game from the off. 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Forget Wagner, Knapper, Webber (either or both depending how tinfoil hat about club operations you are), Delia, MWJ and Attanassio.

The players are putting in a shift. They deserve a little bit of vocal support at home. I dont rate Duffy but second half he was first to everything and totally committed. I dont rate Onel but he came on, defended from the front, put the effort in and ultimately helped deliver the winning goal.

At half time there was a thread on here quite rightly questioning if Barnes was even worth a place in the squad. But second half he was a huge reason why we won.

The atmosphere has been diabolical and during our terrible run I sort of understood it. But as we are now the players deserve it. They aren't dropping tools. They are certainly together and playing for the manager even if we all don't think he's necessarily the future. 

As a football fan I don't understand why you wouldn't back them at the next home game from the off. 

It’s going to be hard without Stu here but as you point out ‘Let’s back the players’

• Haha 1

There might be quite a lot of issues in how they play, but their approach isn't indifferent. That team's fighting and putting in a quality shift every match.

That's worth plenty of respect on its own in my book.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

All very true @hogesar, whatever you think about the technical abilities of the squad the are certainly putting in a shift with a togetherness that is admirable. They should be supported and who knows that may even be a factor in inproving results. Unfortunately they are too mant alternate agendas and egos in the stands to admit this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My gripe has always been with the old owners and others such as the Webbers. I have never booed the players and never will unless there is an individual who clearly disrespects either the club or supporters. Hopefully OTBC will be sung with renewed gusto v Baggies as they will sell out with ease. 

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Keep going, you’ll get there 😉

In all seriousness, I made the point in another thread. How do you expect fans to put emotions in silos, when both on and off the field activities are so intrinsically linked? 

Fans, (for the majority), aren’t stupid, or simple enough to ignore the bigger picture. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

100%. I'm not a big fan of Wagner but the players don't deserve the reception they've been getting from fans lately, home or away. If you're going to go to a game, support the team. Otherwise you're part of the problem. 

• Like 2

This is where I’m at with it 

it’s clear delias moving on, I’m being patient and waiting for that transition to take place 

squad if fit enough good enough for a playoff push, the club have decided to stick with the manager so I guess we have to see what happens at the end of the season. 

the fans have understandably been frustrated, I do think some of the things we’ve seen have been a bit much (Delia our flag last night? She’s leaving chaps) but again I do understand 

don’t get individual players criticism on our own team, particularly when they put in a shift. Duffy been labelled useless was colossus last night, Gibson the same, don’t remember a mistake from him, clearly consistency an issue however injuries also clearly played a part in T1/H1 of the season.  

I do think the clubs position has been safeguarded by the improvements to the infrastructure including the academy but just needs a bit of a steer both financially and professionally. 

all in all think we just need to see a bit of patience to allow the transition to take place, allow knapper to implement his philosophy and see the club move forward. 

• Like 2

We all went to Carrow Road a week ago to give our support.

We duly watched our team forced into playing counter-attack football, at home, against a mid-table League One side.

I'll always support the team. But forgive me if my enthusiasm isn't what it was.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

We all went to Carrow Road a week ago to give our support.

We duly watched our team forced into playing counter-attack football, at home, against a mid-table League One side.

I'll always support the team. But forgive me if my enthusiasm isn't what it was.

you do realise we played with an effective b team? 

3 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Drum and flags. Get them back!

The drum certainly improved the performance, Yep, just look at the results. It was crucial at Hull last night. It was the deciding factor at the binners and numerous players have spoken of how much it does to their tactical awareness and passing skills.

I think it's gonna take a while before most in the crowd start getting behind players just for effort and be happy to support a team that just pushes for the play offs. 

We've fallen really far really quickly and have had two absolutely diabolical seasons before this one where a lot of hope and enthusiasm was sucked out of the crowd. The comments from some senior people at the club haven't helped either, fans see the problem as decisions made by Webber, the club was enamored with Webber, Webber blamed the fans and took little responsibility and people are still annoyed about it all. 

Fans are still thinking two and a half years ago we had just blown the Championship away, we've since then spent a lot of money to make some decisions only to end up as a mid table Championship side setting up to stifle opposition with much lower wage budgets than us who we were much better than before these decisions were made. It's only natural that people are jaded and I think it would be the same at any other club. Then you've got all the previous false dawns under this manager and set of players, the fact that Ipswich are doing so well, and the fact that many feel like nothing ever changes at the club unless the fans turn and you have a really unfortunate set of circumstances that have lead to a lot of discontent and a poor atmosphere. 

I'm not saying I agree with all of this, this is just what I think has lead to the current mood and fanbase being unhappy and I don't see anything changing for at least the rest of this season even if the players continue to put a shift in and don't deserve the lack of support themselves. 

Next year expectations will naturally be lower with the loss of parachute payments and the fact we'll lose at least one key player. Wagner will probably be gone which will sever another link to Webber. A new manager will always get a bounce from the crowd/some patience and I'd imagine the age profile of the team will be a lot younger, cheaper and more players will have less baggage and not only will people find that set up easier to support, expectations will drop so winning won't be taken for granted and losses won't be as infuriating. I'm hoping Knapper and Attanasio will do some press work before the season to communicate clearly to fans what the plan is and so long as it doesn't go completely belly up I think the atmosphere and support for the team will be better next year even if we're not winning every game. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m very disgruntled and disillusioned at the way this club is being run right now, but he’s right, the players do deserve our support and as fans, that’s what we should be doing. It’s our job. 

Doesn’t change my displeasure at how Delia is choosing to play out the end game though.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

It was not the fact that it was our 'b' team, more the way we played. We were stagnant and never really looked like winning that game. I want to see some form of playing system, either counter attacking or possession based. Currently we have neither, not in the first team nor evidently in the 'b' team. We do not move the ball quick enough to counter attack and cannot retain the ball well enough to pass it through teams. The minimum I expect is players to be able to pass the ball, control it when they receive it and then get over the half way line to show that we have some attacking intent. None of this was evident against Bristol. 

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

The players are putting in a shift. They deserve a little bit of vocal support at home…….

I admire your sentiments Hoggy but we all know it’s the way the club is currently being run which has led to this apathy. 

Make some changes or at the very least address supporters admitting that things aren’t good enough. Someone on here said the powers-that-be are aware of the problems so why not just come out and say so ?

From our side of the fence it just looks like they’re burying their heads in the sand.

2 hours ago, Yobocop said:

You mean the team where Sargent, Barnes, Sainz, Hernandez, Hanley and Giannoulis all started. And Rowe, Fassnacht and Idah came on as subs?

Even our worst eleven squad players should be capable of competing at home with a mid-table League One side.

Support first, have a good moan at the end if things go to pot. I at least have respect for people who do that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I think it's gonna take a while before most in the crowd start getting behind players just for effort and be happy to support a team that just pushes for the play offs. 

We've fallen really far really quickly and have had two absolutely diabolical seasons before this one where a lot of hope and enthusiasm was sucked out of the crowd. The comments from some senior people at the club haven't helped either, fans see the problem as decisions made by Webber, the club was enamored with Webber, Webber blamed the fans and took little responsibility and people are still annoyed about it all. 

Fans are still thinking two and a half years ago we had just blown the Championship away, we've since then spent a lot of money to make some decisions only to end up as a mid table Championship side setting up to stifle opposition with much lower wage budgets than us who we were much better than before these decisions were made. It's only natural that people are jaded and I think it would be the same at any other club. Then you've got all the previous false dawns under this manager and set of players, the fact that Ipswich are doing so well, and the fact that many feel like nothing ever changes at the club unless the fans turn and you have a really unfortunate set of circumstances that have lead to a lot of discontent and a poor atmosphere. 

I'm not saying I agree with all of this, this is just what I think has lead to the current mood and fanbase being unhappy and I don't see anything changing for at least the rest of this season even if the players continue to put a shift in and don't deserve the lack of support themselves. 

Next year expectations will naturally be lower with the loss of parachute payments and the fact we'll lose at least one key player. Wagner will probably be gone which will sever another link to Webber. A new manager will always get a bounce from the crowd/some patience and I'd imagine the age profile of the team will be a lot younger, cheaper and more players will have less baggage and not only will people find that set up easier to support, expectations will drop so winning won't be taken for granted and losses won't be as infuriating. I'm hoping Knapper and Attanasio will do some press work before the season to communicate clearly to fans what the plan is and so long as it doesn't go completely belly up I think the atmosphere and support for the team will be better next year even if we're not winning every game. 

It’s essentially been 3 1/2 poor season on the trot the fans have sat through now unfortunately, the last good one we were locked out of the ground due to Covid. If we start making a push for the playoffs the atmosphere will improve slightly, if not I’d wager at the end of the season Wagner will be gone, expectations will be lower and it will be better next season 

Well, well, well, and a big congratulations to all you pinkun-ers out there. I'm relatively new here but i think this has been the 1st thread I've read that hasn't resorted to petty point scoring and back biting.

Maybe it's the weekend win that's raised the mood but it's still nice to read reasoned comments for both sides without the usual jibes. (Although I accept the majority seems to be in agreement with the OP.)

From my point of view, I'm a supporter and a paying customer so I reserve my right to boo if appropriate and at at the correct targets but equally, agree with the OP's arguement.

For me spontaneity is key whether it be cheering a good piece of a play or an audible moan when it's rubbish.

Let's hope we can find stuff to cheer about next home game. 

19 hours ago, RobJames said:

The drum certainly improved the performance, Yep, just look at the results. It was crucial at Hull last night. It was the deciding factor at the binners and numerous players have spoken of how much it does to their tactical awareness and passing skills.

Mystified at reference to the drum Friday night at Hull and also the Scum game because having been at both games my recollection of our drum being there is zero. Even checked with friends who i went to both games with to make sure i was not having a couple of senior moments and their memory is the same as mine. Happy to stand corrected of course.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RobJames said:

37 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Mystified at reference to the drum Friday night at Hull and also the Scum game because having been at both games my recollection of our drum being there is zero. Even checked with friends who i went to both games with to make sure i was not having a couple of senior moments and their memory is the same as mine. Happy to stand corrected of course.

I think Rob James is having a ' moment ' with that claim Tilly. After a 15 year winless run against Norwich can you see Ipswich allowing  one in at Portman Rd if it helps our players.

I really don't follow how having someone wellying a drum all game improves tactical awareness and passing skills. If it does why aren't they employing one at Colney ? ( big smile )

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Fans, (for the majority), aren’t stupid, or simple enough to ignore the bigger picture. 

So, as we discussed yesterday, are you in effect saying that the fans do like the new owner? (i.e. Attenasio - biggest shareholder + the biggest creditor as well)

He has only just taken over - this could go on for years!

I basically agree with the OP that the players deserve our support - they are clearly doing their utmost to make things work. For me the key question is whether performances are often so poor because the players simply aren't good enough, or because they just don't fit together as a team, or whether they're not being coached well in a structure that suits them. 

I tend towards the last idea. I know there is quite a drop off in quality once you look beyond the top five or six of our players, but that's true of almost every club in this league. And even if the overall quality of our squad has declined, I still feel they're under-performing.

So booing them is going to get them thinking "oh look, there's some cretin waving his lit up phone, I better buck my ideas up". "If only they had done that earlier in the season, we might be in the automatic places now". Yep, that's how it is. In the mind of some.

supporter ; a person who approves of and encourages a football team, its players, etc.

• Sad 1