18 minutes ago, New Forum said:

It's a really poor website, stuck somewhere around the mid 2000s in terms of design, layout and functionality. It could and should be better.

Depends what you want out of a forum really, I want to quickly pop on, see if I have any notifications and then randomly check some of the latest posts that seem interesting.

I don't want to go into a thread and find it's on 'go slow' mode because a mod marked it as so, neither do I want to see other people typing as i'm making a reply, I don't want to have to filter by tags to list the forum in a sensible way and i'm not a fan of voting posts as it creates an echo chamber where everyone is playing to the gallery.

In fact, I don't want to spend any more than 15-20 mins viewing it.   For others who put hours in a day perhaps those extra features make a difference, but not for me.  It's the simplicity here that I like, i've seen many forums change to the newer models and they become so overly sterile.

Let's just enjoy the charm and quirks of this place and place emphasis on not being twits to each other would be my suggestion.  A new forum with a new set of mods will just create a sub-set of egos, we're all on an equal standing here.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, New Forum said:

We're the 15th best supported club in the UK and we don't have a decent forum to chat about our club. This site is a broken mess, both the actual site, the moderation, everything. We deserve better.

This place could be buzzing, it could add value to the club and its supporters, not take it away. In reality it's treated as an afterthought when I'm sure it's the main reason most people visit the site.

I'm serious about starting and funding a new forum. The people running this site have taken it for granted for too long. I am no longer local but would be more than happy to return to meet with people that want to be involved. If anyone reading this is interested please DM me so I can gauge interest.

OTBC

What’s the point? You will just get the same old wingers and w&#$ers on there like you do here , nothings ever good enough for these idiots, Idah McLean Wagner  Delia list goes on.pretty much anyone connected to Norwich city including even the media, jack reeve and his co pilot, you need to get rid of the to$$ers then and only then will it work so a fairly impossible job, sometimes think half of em come from down the road, no support just criticism funny thing is most don’t even attend games, laughable, I know several people who don’t bother anymore with forums waste of time, delias right in fact 20% is being kind.

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

So not supported, but attendance, which in itself has a number of variables. Were Sunderland to halve their ticket prices they would most likely have 40,000 attendances. Were we to halve our ticket prices, we could not have 40,000 attendance. So were those previously not going to Sunderland not supporters ? If you moved away from Norfolk and are no longer able to get to games, do you stop being a supporter ?  If Luton reached the playoff final and sold 40,000 tickets, are all those supporters ?

All good points. Would think though that 23rd. is still a fairly good stab in the absence of any definitive criteria.

28 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’ve been here pretty much since it started (lost my original login email). I’ll move if it closes, or if I get banned for being cheeky (which I’m pretty sure is the worst I’ve achieved, at least in recent memory) I’ll probably just stop talking about NCFC online.

For all its faults this is easily the best NCFC online community and one of the best places I’ve found to discuss anything I enjoy on the internet. Personally I only need something new if that irrecoverably changes.

I agree that currently it’s the best NCFC online community/forum, but given the poor quality of other Norwich sites the bar hasn’t been set very high.  The point is it could be so much better and if it was, then looking at the footfall on other clubs’ message boards, it would almost certainly be far better supported than here.

15 minutes ago, The Right Winger said:

What’s the point? You will just get the same old wingers and w&#$ers on there like you do here , nothings ever good enough for these idiots, Idah McLean Wagner  Delia list goes on.pretty much anyone connected to Norwich city including even the media, jack reeve and his co pilot, you need to get rid of the to$$ers then and only then will it work so a fairly impossible job, sometimes think half of em come from down the road, no support just criticism funny thing is most don’t even attend games, laughable, I know several people who don’t bother anymore with forums waste of time, delias right in fact 20% is being kind.

Surely you welcome a diversity of ideas and opinion.  It’d be a fairly dull forum if everyone parroted the same message.

As usually happens on here, some people are changing the subject.  It’s not a thread about whether we’re the 15th, 21st or 90th best supported club.  It’s about whether it’s time for a new message board.

54 minutes ago, New Forum said:

We're the 15th best supported club in the UK and we don't have a decent forum to chat about our club. This site is a broken mess, both the actual site, the moderation, everything. We deserve better.

This place could be buzzing, it could add value to the club and its supporters, not take it away. In reality it's treated as an afterthought when I'm sure it's the main reason most people visit the site.

I'm serious about starting and funding a new forum. The people running this site have taken it for granted for too long. I am no longer local but would be more than happy to return to meet with people that want to be involved. If anyone reading this is interested please DM me so I can gauge interest.

OTBC

89ui8p.jpg.09b6e524368605b46670111401c12a1d.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, New Forum said:

Thanks, I read 15th once but must have been a few years back haha

By the time the new forum starts, we’ll be 30th. Sort it out Delia! Boo!

5 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Depends what you want out of a forum really, I want to quickly pop on, see if I have any notifications and then randomly check some of the latest posts that seem interesting.

I don't want to go into a thread and find it's on 'go slow' mode because a mod marked it as so, neither do I want to see other people typing as i'm making a reply, I don't want to have to filter by tags to list the forum in a sensible way and i'm not a fan of voting posts as it creates an echo chamber where everyone is playing to the gallery.

In fact, I don't want to spend any more than 15-20 mins viewing it.   For others who put hours in a day perhaps those extra features make a difference, but not for me.  It's the simplicity here that I like, i've seen many forums change to the newer models and they become so overly sterile.

Let's just enjoy the charm and quirks of this place and place emphasis on not being twits to each other would be my suggestion.  A new forum with a new set of mods will just create a sub-set of egos, we're all on an equal standing here.

I think that's inevitable but could be an acceptable trade-off if it can improve what we have been seeing here recently. We've had numerous really good interesting threads only for them to be sidetracked because of petty stalking. I fear it will be a cliquey NorwichTalk though.

In some ways I would like to see a new forum with everyone effectively being a new user and new usernames. Encourage new traffic and different opinions. If it's just the Old Pinkun then I really don't see much point and should stick with what we've got. It would be nice to have a forum where people comment on the post and not the poster, or something they posted 15 years ago.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think that's inevitable but could be an acceptable trade-off if it can improve what we have been seeing here recently. We've had numerous really good interesting threads only for them to be sidetracked because of petty stalking. I fear it will be a cliquey NorwichTalk though.

In some ways I would like to see a new forum with everyone effectively being a new user and new usernames. Encourage new traffic and different opinions. If it's just the Old Pinkun then I really don't see much point and should stick with what we've got. It would be nice to have a forum where people comment on the post and not the poster, or something they posted 15 years ago.

Well said. 

The only reason for a new forum is if this one falls over, either through lack of technical support or through plain silliness. 

Archant does need this forum because it saves them money. They don't employ anyone with a financial background and there are 3 or 4 posters on here who explain it to them. They also use it for transfer rumours. 

Having said that, they are probably confident they would get the same from a replacement 

Just been on a Nottingham Forest forum - it was riddled with adverts. Don't know if you can turn them off, but I certainly wouldn't them on any new forum here.

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

This is exactly how I see it. I think it's really important that we get a good heads-up if this place is going to close, rather than just waking up one morning and finding 20+ years of NCFC fan history has disappeared off the face of the earth.

As an ex-Archant employee myself, I was acutely aware of how the company was falling apart, and I doubt it's experiencing any great renaissance under Newsquest. That's why I was quite proactive on here in the past about having a contingency plan, and at that point @hogesar said it'd be very easy to get a site set up in case it was ever required.

It's still there, ready to go, but I don't see the point in plugging it at this point as I don't want to try and hasten the demise of this site. For all its foibles, it's a rich community of NCFC fans of all stripes, and while it's still functioning I have no desire to go anywhere else.

The PUPs, the match threads, the in-jokes, the Parma masterclasses, Pig Mince's trolling... even the sabre-rattling and bickering, up to a point. If @SouthwellC's post acts as a wake-up call for us all to be a bit nicer to each other and keep this place rumbling on, that suits me.

At the end of the day, we're all NCFC fans here (well, 99% of us at least), and there's more that unites us than divides us.

• Like 7

It’s funny how the thread was started by someone new probably fishing for some info on how a new set up forum could generate more than just interaction for them! Call me cynical but I get the impression it’s a scam to set up new forum to make money from! Lots of new online ventures going on now! 
For me this forum has its positives and negatives, but in general a good level of decent posters with a few just hell bent on trolling. There’s a few threads go into childish arguments and generally caused by the same few posters who don’t contribute much to any conversation but to get an argument, but the good thing they can be blocked and ignored! Like FDW I’m happy here and when a forum is run by a fan they then have the admin powers to get rid of posters who don’t agree with them! 

Edited by Indy

11 hours ago, Google Bot said:

(IMO) You can't possibly have active posters being moderators and not holding a bias.  It's impossible, this is why the pinkun has stood all these years while others have failed because they become a clique within an already existing clique.

We do a grand job of self moderating I think.  But in my opinion the forum isn't' the problem, it's people and how they react.  I think it's  better to learn how to cope with different opinions and viewpoints without a third party needing to be a referee personally.

I really don't find anything wrong with this place, if it wasn't enjoyable to visit we wouldn't be here.  Plus I feel that it supports the pinkun in someway to have an active community which is a go to for neutrals who are interested in a fans perspective.

I’d agree 

there was a norwich city group on Facebook which basically deleted people if they didn’t agree with the moderators views on the club, pathetic. 

nothing wrong with this forum

11 hours ago, Indy said:

I used to like the old NCFC forum, there were some great posters in there, i moved over when that got closed. Really can’t remember why it was, considering the club is a community family club! Maybe they should start it up again and find it!

This forum is good.

The canaries one was great into a few individuals started to get really personal on there and ruined it for everyone else 

As I remember it, Club wanted to utilise its social channels rather than have an ‘antiquated’ message board. 

6 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

The canaries one was great into a few individuals started to get really personal on there and ruined it for everyone else 

As I remember it, Club wanted to utilise its social channels rather than have an ‘antiquated’ message board. 

Presumably Club = the SMT?

10 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Presumably Club = the SMT? 

can you elaborate 

Edited by Yobocop

11 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

can you elaborate 

Was it the Club Senior Management Team that implied that the message board was 'antiquated'? 

12 hours ago, essex canary said:

All good points. Rob James

All good points, I was at Sunderland recently, I seem to remember they DID have 39,000 v us? 

15 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

All good points, I was at Sunderland recently, I seem to remember they DID have 39,000 v us? 

Typical for them see attached Table.

20231219_234043.jpg

13 hours ago, New Forum said:

It's a really poor website, stuck somewhere around the mid 2000s in terms of design, layout and functionality. It could and should be better.

See I'm more a look and feel person and expect software to update without changing the GUI or core functionality. What I would argue in favour of this forum is it's old fashioned tech feel actually keeps things simple in terms of CPU usuage. I can't stand websites that become slow and bloated for no good reason just to add pointless things around their core functon(Flashscores and Whatsapp Web come to mind). It's a forum. I've never gone onto any forum and been blown away by how modern it is or by all the cool features. Then thinking of other forums I use well nothing there that is extra/important could be used here to improve so I scratch my head at what the problem with it is. Its words and text not some instagram/tiktok business. How many years has it been since the forum was upgraded anyway, 6-8 years?

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Like 1

Is this message board hilariously outdated and technically poor compared to modern offerings? Yes.

Is a new forum viable if the community on this forum doesn’t move across? Nope.

I find this place nostalgic, I’ve been here since 2005 and it’s barely changed in that time. Some faces/avatars come and go but the community’s always been active, fairly tame and a few bad apples end up getting kicked out eventually. If they shut this place down I’d just stop discussing NCFC stuff outside Twitter which is a bit of an echo chamber compared to the varied and often well-argued discourse we get on here.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

As usually happens on here, some people are changing the subject.  It’s not a thread about whether we’re the 15th, 21st or 90th best supported club.  It’s about whether it’s time for a new message board.

I really don't understand why people don't consider NorwichTalk to be the Plan B as an immediate refuge if this place goes under. Yes its dead, but it is fully functional and on great software.

There was criticism that I was too harsh with moderation and had too many rules, ironically it was because Morty and Lake District Canary were at war and I made one of them a mod to ensure that it didn't spill over, and it is LakeDistrictCanary who has pointed out that the moderation was too hard. Morty had just been banned from the Pinkun and we had it spill over to NorwichTalk within about a day.

However the website became owned by a successful King's Lynn web development business about 7 years ago and that no longer applies. The owner is actually a Spurs fan and runs a large Spurs forum on the same software, Norwich is his second team and he catches a few games a season, was a match made in heaven really in terms of finding somebody to take it off my hands (it was a free transfer).

The cost of running is chicken feed for him as he has it on the same server as several larger forums. He also doesn't need to pay for a new software license annually as he's got the developer license to cover multiple sites.

What will happen is that somebody else will build a forum and they'll soon realise that forums are a loss making venture which make a few pence per thousand impressions in ad revenue and that they consume a lot more resources and cost more to host than you think, and then begging bowl will be out every month trying to raise £100 every month to keep it going like you see on many other footy forums. Unless you plaster it with gambling CPA ads like some do, which wouldn't be a great position to be in.

If the issue is Morty being the sole mod then simply suggest to the admin that something changes there, e.g, a second person becoming a mod, or the admin taking it on himself.

@hogesar I think I've just found your forum, looks very aesthetically pleasing, good job, and if that's your business in the footer then presumably you'll be able to bang it on whatever servers you currently use. Have you cleared the name of the forum with the club though? On The Ball City is a trademark owned by the club, see: https://www.canaries.co.uk/club/brand

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

There was criticism that I was too harsh with moderation and had too many rules, ironically it was because Morty and Lake District Canary were at war and I made one of them a mod to ensure that it didn't spill over, and it is LakeDistrictCanary who has pointed out that the moderation was too hard. Morty had just been banned from the Pinkun and we had it spill over to NorwichTalk within about a day.

It didn't spill over on my part, I was not allowed to join! The truth is I simply wanted to be part of the new forum and was effectively barred without even being given a chance. I was eventually allowed to be on the forum under some kind of probation that I "behave" - but that just meant I couldn't say anything that I really thought - I had to follow the narrative - and that is what others had to do too, but I'm sorry, but that just isn't a discussion board, it is just too bland. No real meaningful discussion about football can happen if you close down anyone that thinks out of the box, or is just a bit different - that is cancel culture at it's worst and it's no surprise that the forum has all but stopped in it's tracks.

I have no animosity towards Morty, I've met him a few times, no problem, but it became very difficult for me on here and it did affect my mental health for a while, because I refused to give in to the constant attempts to belittle me and the refusal to accept me as I was - a real fan who just happens to think around subjects and suggest alternatives, rather than just go along with the majority view. It eventually dragged me down to a low level and I had to step away from it for a while. It wasn't just one person - there were others too that joined in, but that is the nature of bullying - one person starts it and others join in. On the other hand, some of the support I received at the time was heart warming and was really appreciated. 

So your choosing "one of us" to be moderator might have solved your issue in one sense, but the frustration I felt at being the one who was being continually abused and looking forwards to the new forum which was supposed to be a safe place - and finding my chief antagonist as moderator - seemed totally wrong to me. The sanctuary it was suppose to offer is actually a phallacy - it is seen as a place where no-one can express themselves freely. I said before on here, running a forum like this needs a balance - it needs moderating, but only lightly and if people step out of line too far, then of course they should be stopped from posting, but generally, let people say what they want. Variety is the spice of life, squash that and you have nothing that will hold people's interest. A lot is said about cancel culture these days and cancel culture is real - it is a danger to free thinking and free speech. I do hope this forum and any others that come along do not go too far down that route.

But to  Connor and anyone else who reads this who has some responsibility for this forum, this is still the best place for people to come and discuss all things Norwich. There might be a few bad apples, but get rid of those when they appear and the rest of us can get on and enjoy what is a great place to celebrate talking about the football club we all support.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 6