Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Fair play to McCallum

Must have been hard coming into and starting in such a big game away from home with such an atmopshere at the last minute due to an unexpected injury in the squad and while he may have pretty awful in the first half boy did he improve in the second. Block after block after block, and I'll give him credit where it's due for the second half he did do pretty well

• Like 10

Just now, littleyellowbirdie said:

I was surprised how much criticism he was being singled out for in the first half; it was a no-brainer that he wasn't going to be match sharp.

The criticism was due to the manner of his tracking back. It really wasn’t the level at which you’d expect from a player in a derby. Second half he looked a different player in that respect. 

• Like 3

Yeah he had a frantic game and did make some mistakes but kept in there and was combative which is what I want to see in a derby. Loved the dedication.

• Like 2

He just needs to sort his tracking back out! There was plenty of moments in that first half where he'd gone wandering up the pitch and then was jogging back while they attacked. 

The only thing I will add is that in that instance, Nunez or Sara must be covering his position when possession is lost. 

Overall impressed today, didn’t agree with the criticism, and the long throw a bonus. Lastly felt he showed character, noticed the abuse he was taking from the blue boys. 

• Like 1

Well done to the lad it is not his fault Wagner has not given him game time. I personally feel McCallum is a better full back than Giannoulis (not necessarily a better footballer) and should be picked ahead of Plachetta every time. Some of his interceptions were first class today.

• Like 1

Second half he had a very good game. Pleased for him. Strikes me as a player who needs a bit of pushing and imagine Wagner gave him a rocket at half time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Was terrible first half but full credit was excellent second half

This. Saw McLean give him a bollocking in the 1st half and I would imagine he got more of the same at halftime. But to his credit came out and was much improved 2nd half. That takes character and bottle, something as a collective the team had today

• Like 4

Thought he did really 2nd half, fair play to him.

Not sure if 1st half were tactics or something else? Surely the bench just says stop pushing forward?

5 hours ago, S_81 said:

The criticism was due to the manner of his tracking back. It really wasn’t the level at which you’d expect from a player in a derby. Second half he looked a different player in that respect. 

Yeah it wasn't about sharpness, it was about not doing the basics. 

Few filthy tackles on him from Burns too, and he stayed very level-headed. 

Thought he was excellent second half, Idah was very good holding up the ball and his movement was good too! Everyone had a decent game really bar Barnes thought he was lacklustre and just stood around being a ****! It’s one thing being a pain to the opponent but if you’re ineffective in the game then all you do is look desperate! 
A point is a decent result and pleased for Wagner, just concerned by his tactics and subs at times! Taking Idah off and leaving Barnes on, not getting Gibs on to shore up that midfield was strange, still a points a good result!

Edited by Indy

A nervous and tentative start but young Mac settled as the game wore on....I think with a bit more coaching there's a developing and improving good future player there....He's gotta a bit o' pace as well....