Whiffler/Glasshouse/Dereham fantastic

6 minutes ago, daly said:

Only good point about Queen of Iceni  Cheap drinks

Management useless 

Tables filthy

Food and dirty plates left on tables for ages

This must be the worst Wetherspoons in Norfolk

A challenge on matchday though. The staff work really hard on serving quickly. Haven't always seen that at Spoons close to away grounds.

19 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Second thoughts - just don’t bother with the game. A far more enjoyable afternoon. 

Sorry Delia, we are all addicted to the sauce or in Nutty's case caffeine.

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

A challenge on matchday though. The staff work really hard on serving quickly. Haven't always seen that at Spoons close to away grounds.

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Not talking about match days

The place is a tip most afternoons 

1 hour ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

The Fat Cat (Nelson Street). Not only the best pub in the city, but one of, if not the best pub in the country.

Also the first pub my dad ever bought me a pint in.

Is Colin Keatley still the owner ? He was the landlord of the New Savoy Tavern the Capital Canaries pub just off the Strand back in the 70's

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Don't mind the Murderers but the landlord is a binner. 

Yep. Once I found that out he doesn't get my money anymore. Plus he always seems to be in the edp moaning about aomething  

Rose on Queens Road is great. My post match pub of choice. (Don't bother before the game as eork in the mornings) Good pizzas as well. 

48 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Is Colin Keatley still the owner ? He was the landlord of the New Savoy Tavern the Capital Canaries pub just off the Strand back in the 70's

I believe so. It’s managed for him, or was when I used to use it regularly a few years back. He was spending a lot of time in Asia on travels but there was still a family presence. 

Our little lot have recently relocated to The Rose on Queens Rd. Great beer, good atmosphere full of fans pre match and great pizza too. Then a quick 5 minute wiggle down the hill to Carrow Rd. Perfick

• Like 1

Kings Arms on Hall Road for me, great selection of beers and good atmosphere before the game plus they're happy for you to eat fish and chips from the chippy a few doors down.

Edited by DraytonBoy

9 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

He is indeed, although I believe he is slowly handing the reigns over to his kids. He will still be in their most nights collecting glasses, cleaning tables and chatting to the punters. He has a remarkable talent for remembering faces and will always stop to have a chat with people he recognises. It's one of the reasons I've persuaded mum to go, he's asked after her nearly every time he's seen me for the last 12 years.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe

9 hours ago, daly said:

Only good point about Queen of Iceni  Cheap drinks

Management useless 

Tables filthy

Food and dirty plates left on tables for ages

This must be the worst Wetherspoons in Norfolk

And they haven’t even got humpleydumpleydink or Old ratty batty nuns breast on tap!

4 hours ago, nu_matik said:

Our little lot have recently relocated to The Rose on Queens Rd. Great beer, good atmosphere full of fans pre match and great pizza too. Then a quick 5 minute wiggle down the hill to Carrow Rd. Perfick

Agree that The Rose is a great pub and handily close to the ground.

Not so great is the wiggle back up Southgate Lane afterwards. Could have sworn I‘ve seen Webber hauling himself up there in  training for his Everest jaunt.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Isn’t that the main reason people use Wetherspoons ?

I don’t know many who use it for the quality of it’s surroundings.

I'd rather pay a bit more and go somewhere else 

Haven't used it on matchday yet but the QOE does incredibly cheap and good real ale, plus CAMRA members get additional discount on top of that. Just need to get organised with the app!

Not telling you where I drink as it's busy enough as it is. Fair to say Norwich is quite blessed when it comes to ale and great pubs.

3 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Brewery Tap hasn’t been a Fat Cat for a while.

Well, you're part correct. I know Mark the owner and he still brands it as Fat Cat Brewery Tap as they are still in partnership with the Brewery who Brew on site and use the Fat Cat (Percy) logo on the new signage (and kids colouring sheets).

11 hours ago, S_81 said:

Ten Bells, St Benedict’s is a good pub. Not a pre match pub though, unless you’re starting a pub crawl! 

I used to work there many moons ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Isn’t that the main reason people use Wetherspoons ?

I don’t know many who use it for the quality of it’s surroundings.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

I'd rather pay a bit more and go somewhere else 

Trouble is it isn’t a bit cheaper, it’s a lot cheaper. In my local Spoons the base beer Ruddles is £1.99. Whack a CAMRA voucher over the bar and it’s an insane £1.49. All the better pump beers seem to be a standard £2.69 which is way cheaper than almost all other pubs. 

True the atmosphere and surroundings can be less than relaxing and the meals are made down to a price but overall it’s good value for money.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

I appreciate that this is stretching the thread a little - but I was thinking of some of the old pubs that I would visit that are no longer there

Anyone remember the Jolly Butchers on Ber Street? As a young man (probably too young to be in the pub) there was a fantastic old blues singer that used to run it. Black Anna

What a dive but brilliant

7 hours ago, DraytonBoy said:

Kings Arms on Hall Road for me, great selection of beers and good atmosphere before the game plus they're happy for you to eat fish and chips from the chippy a few doors down.

Love the Kings Arms, proper pub.

I do the Jubilee before matches which is a decent pub, but I wouldn't call it my favourite, it's just conveniently placed between my house and the ground.

7 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Love the Kings Arms, proper pub.

I do the Jubilee before matches which is a decent pub, but I wouldn't call it my favourite, it's just conveniently placed between my house and the ground.

Yeah the Kings Arms is where I go. It's a real effort to leave and go to the game sometimes! The Jube isn't as good as it used to be, since Tim left, which is a few years now.