Midlands Yellow

Best Pub In The Fine City

Talking pre match or in general. The Murderers has always been my favourite but quite like the Lamb and Woolpack these days when doing a pre match crawl. 

To date I haven’t tried the Lion and Castle at Carrow Road yet. How great is it for those who haven’t had the pleasure of spending time there yet? 

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Talking pre match or in general. The Murderers has always been my favourite but quite like the Lamb and Woolpack these days when doing a pre match crawl. 

To date I haven’t tried the Lion and Castle at Carrow Road yet. How great is it for those who haven’t had the pleasure of spending time there yet? 

Now I know Delia goes there after every game I think I will try it and ask for whatever @nutty nigel has been drinking.

12 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Now I know Delia goes there after every game I think I will try it and ask for whatever @nutty nigel has been drinking.

That would be coke or coffee. Last drink was 1992 except for the time I went to st Peter mancroft at Christmas but that's another story...

Have you been in the Lion and Castle?

I used to go there when it first opened in the 70s. Kept by Frank Knight's daughter Jenny and her husband Ian. Frank also had the George and Dragon and the Bull and Bush which Ian and Jenny used to run.

Edited by nutty nigel

12 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Lion and Castle sounds tempting. If they were doing free drinks all night and S&J were back in Stowmarket I’d give it a try. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Lion and Castle sounds tempting. If they were doing free drinks all night and S&J were back in Stowmarket I’d give it a try. 

Is this a fake pub crawl?

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Explain my friend. 

Is it real? Will it happen?

I wonder where the 20%ers drink? That could be a good place to finish...

Just now, nutty nigel said:

Is it real? Will it happen?

I wonder where the 20%ers drink? That could be a good place to finish...

Ok, that’s a great reply even though it can only make any sense to you. Have you been tested yet for things? It’s never too late. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Ok, that’s a great reply even though it can only make any sense to you. Have you been tested yet for things? It’s never too late. 

You're welcome. Always a pleasure, never a chore.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

You're welcome. Always a pleasure, never a chore.

You used that reply earlier, be original and think quickly  Nutty. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You used that reply earlier, be original and think quickly  Nutty. 

You can never state the truth too often. You should try it...

27 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That would be coke or coffee. Last drink was 1992 except for the time I went to st Peter mancroft at Christmas but that's another story...

Have you been in the Lion and Castle?

I used to go there when it first opened in the 70s. Kept by Frank Knight's daughter Jenny and her husband Ian. Frank also had the George and Dragon and the Bull and Bush which Ian and Jenny used to run.

That place used to be one of my regular haunts back in the 70’s. The beer was s*ite but the company was good.

Many an evening spent propping up the bar talking b* llocks.

Nothing changes…..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

You can never state the truth too often. You should try it...

Your truth? Well no person who you look down to could pass that test! I actually find you amusing in my field of work, frustrating, annoying but insignificant. 

Any 'Spoon's' (no pub snobbery wi' me) will suffice...az they're cheapish an' cheerful....an' full o' 20%ers.... a great gang....

But I duz like both them Coach an' Horses, the one down Thorpe Road an' the Bethel Street one....Coachmaker's top o' St Stephens....Ribs, an' the Moiderer's....oh and lots more 'Spoon's'....I occasionally pop into the Wild Man if my wallet's not bare....

I'll be out after the Preston game an' if anyone's interested in a drink off me? Well then you can just fug off an' buy your own.....

4 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Any 'Spoon's' (no pub snobbery wi' me) will suffice...az they're cheapish an' cheerful....an' full o' 20%ers.... a great gang....

But I duz like both them Coach an' Horses, the one down Thorpe Road an' the Bethel Street one....Coachmaker's top o' St Stephens....Ribs, an' the Moiderer's....oh and lots more 'Spoon's'....I occasionally pop into the Wild Man if my wallet's not bare....

I'll be out after the Preston game an' if anyone's interested in a drink off me? Well then you can just fug off an' buy your own.....

I thought you normally met up with Nutty and Dunc post match? Next time I’m in Norwich I’ll leave you a pint in. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I thought you normally met up with Nutty and Dunc post match? Next time I’m in Norwich I’ll leave you a pint in. 

You're Funny.....image.jpeg.ee14f4e60032d4211b9b6913c577dc60.jpeg

The Fat Cat (Nelson Street). Not only the best pub in the city, but one of, if not the best pub in the country.

Also the first pub my dad ever bought me a pint in.

• Like 1

Went into the Rose Tavern before the QPR game. My first time . Would give it the thumbs up . Decent beer , good patrons and got a shirt on the wall. 

Don't mind the Murderers but the landlord is a binner. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

That place used to be one of my regular haunts back in the 70’s. The beer was s*ite but the company was good.

Many an evening spent propping up the bar talking b* llocks.

Nothing changes…..

Mostly Norwich Bitter, Norwich Mild, Watney's Red Barrel and Carlsberg.

2 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

The Fat Cat (Nelson Street). Not only the best pub in the city, but one of, if not the best pub in the country.

Also the first pub my dad ever bought me a pint in.

Strange isn’t it, I was disappointed with that pub when visiting it for the first time last year. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Strange isn’t it, I was disappointed with that pub when visiting it for the first time last year. 

It hasn't been the same since covid for atmosphere (which is probably true for a lot of local boozers). I remember it used to be on Friday nights you would not be able to get a seat if you arrived after 7pm. The beer is still the best I've had anywhere, and I have sampled beer in many pubs up and down the country.

I am taking my mum in there Christmas day, which will be quite emotional as her and my old man were regulars throughout the 1990's and she has only been in once since he passed away 12 years ago. But she has said she's looking forwards to going.

Edited by Iwans Big Toe
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I don't think it's the best Fat Cat pub, Brewery Tap gets my vote out of the three.

• Like 2

Ten Bells, St Benedict’s is a good pub. Not a pre match pub though, unless you’re starting a pub crawl! 

2 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

It hasn't been the same since covid for atmosphere (which is probably true for a lot of local boozers). I remember it used to be on Friday nights you would not be able to get a seat if you arrived after 7pm. The beer is still the best I've had anywhere, and I have sampled beer in many pubs up and down the country.

I am taking my mum in there Christmas day, which will be quite emotional as her and my old man were regulars throughout the 1990's and she has only been in once since he passed away 12 years ago. But she has said she's looking forwards to going.

That’s poignant and special, thoughts to all your family. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

Ten Bells, St Benedict’s is a good pub. Not a pre match pub though, unless you’re starting a pub crawl! 

Well you could start at the Cat, onto the Alexandra, Reindeer, Ten Bells, Plough, St Andrews (Rumsey Wells?), then a slow saunter to the ground to sober up a bit. 🤣

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

Well you could start at the Cat, onto the Alexandra, Reindeer, Ten Bells, Plough, St Andrews (Rumsey Wells?), then a slow saunter to the ground to sober up a bit. 🤣

Second thoughts - just don’t bother with the game. A far more enjoyable afternoon.