Worthy Nigelton

We are a CDM away from being half decent

The title basically says it all. Get a Skipp-like loan in January (or a permanent signing) and we can still turn the season around. This is where the majority of our problems stem from.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Where would King Kenny play though?

Centre back. He's better there than any of our actual defenders, and it takes him out of that midfield position where he's more prone to positional errors.

Rowe plays behind or as the second striker. Placheta left back... at Colney with the u21s. 

• Haha 1

I don;t think it is the one specific player we are missing. It is about our general approach. Right across the board.

Today was the classic examplwe. What in earth was Plachetta doing for their first ? Completely lost his man, and looking like he though it was not his job to mark their righwingerI do wonder if the faukt lies with this 'spot the ball machine they have.

Whereby the focus is solely on the ball, not the other players. Too many rimes I have seen the opposition player hit a ball that leaves 3 or 4 City players 'out of the game'. Instead of watching 'their man' they are concentrating on the ball. Often three player trying to win the ball leaving them vulnerable. This can be seen where the opposition is able to break quickly, and often score.

The 'shape' is where you are in regard to the opposition. Watching games on TV you can usually see where the oppositiins is gong to play the ball as far from closing them down, we are all watching the ball. Unless Wagner can recognise this and address it he needs to go. As whatever good he does he will be constantly undone by poor/non existant marking.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Ben Godfrey isn't playing much these days......😏

That would be a fantastic loan , thing is, he'd end up playing at centre back.

Increasingly I'm coming around to the idea of putting McLean in at centre-half. I can actually see him finishing his career there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

I don;t think it is the one specific player we are missing. It is about our general approach. Right across the board.

Today was the classic examplwe. What in earth was Plachetta doing for their first ? Completely lost his man, and looking like he though it was not his job to mark their righwingerI do wonder if the faukt lies with this 'spot the ball machine they have.

Whereby the focus is solely on the ball, not the other players. Too many rimes I have seen the opposition player hit a ball that leaves 3 or 4 City players 'out of the game'. Instead of watching 'their man' they are concentrating on the ball. Often three player trying to win the ball leaving them vulnerable. This can be seen where the opposition is able to break quickly, and often score.

The 'shape' is where you are in regard to the opposition. Watching games on TV you can usually see where the oppositiins is gong to play the ball as far from closing them down, we are all watching the ball. Unless Wagner can recognise this and address it he needs to go. As whatever good he does he will be constantly undone by poor/non existant marking.

Placheta has finally started to look like a decent winger, so we play him at left back! Replacing Gianoulis who has played well this season

We’re more likely to end up with another Graham Stuart than another Oliver Skipp. 

2 hours ago, RobJames said:

I do wonder if the [fault] lies with this 'spot the ball machine they have.

I've had the very same thought. Drilling players on some computer game rather than the overall picture of a dynamic game could have some unexpected consequences. Regardless of whether Soccer Bot is at the heart of the issue, there's far too much focus on what we want to impose on the opposition and too little on being able to react to and mitigate what they might do to us. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S_81 said:

Nah, Hoggy said Wagnerball doesn’t need one. And he knows best 

In defence of Hoggy here Wagnerball doesn't have a role for a CDM because the tactical basis of it doesn't require one.  That is different from agreeing that this is an effective tactical approach.

We play some decent stuff at times. There are some good players there, and I don't believe that the squad is as bad as many others seem to.

I happen to think that the fundamental lacking is at management level. The use of Placheta yesterday was a prime example, but one of many over the past few weeks. Lack of a settled starting eleven never helps consistency and ours is as unpredictable as the weather.

We are not top two candidates by any stretch of the imagination and probably not even top six. A couple of tweaks (eg. that decent CDM) and a new manager could realistically transform our season given the return of a decent strike force being imminent.

The fact that we have been talking relegation prospects for this squad is a disgrace. The source of the problem is likely to be removed, however, and a new Sporting Director should invite renewed impetus.

I boldly predict an exciting and fruitful run-in.

Hic! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alfie54 said:

Placheta has finally started to look like a decent winger, so we play him at left back! Replacing Gianoulis who has played well this season

Dimi's calm ball rolled in to Rowe that led to the goal was pure class. I know he's a frustrating player who is prone to errors but to drop him for Placheta in that role was a crazy decision which almost got Wagner the instant sacking it deserved.

Stacey and Giannoulis are perfectly good enough as our full backs. I accept they are both better at going forwards than defending, but IMO the larger problem at the back is the whole defensive set-up, not those two individuals.

Just need a new CB, left back that can actually defend, striker, right and left wingers to go with them and we'll be all sorted. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Ben Godfrey isn't playing much these days......😏

In all seriousness.......not a bad shout, could do worse

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Would'nt want to be anywhere near the EPL with this bunch.

Well I kinda of agree but the 3 times we have won the championship we have been relegated. Under Lambert we finished second and stayed up at a canter even under Neil we have a pretty decent fist of it. Maybe sneaking in the back door in the dead of night with zero expectations maybe better than walking in the front door in Broad daylight.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

We are 6 points from the playoffs with 30 games left.

Seems like a bit of a tall order.

5 hours ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Would'nt want to be anywhere near the EPL with this bunch.

There can't be many football supporters the length and breadth of this land, whether Chumps or League 2 who would express that sentiment.

By all accounts Luton fans are loving the ride even though their outcome is as predictable as me slicing my first drive of the day. They are playing the likes of Liverpool and Man. U. on their tiny ground for goodness’s sake, and I doubt any hammering would embarrass them.

(P.S. Their ground might well be a bit bigger too when they grace the Chumps next season.)

Edited by BroadstairsR

Playing Devils advocate, Luton fans are loving it as about 50% of their fan base have never experienced the top flight, and the rest it's been 30 years. Its a different scenario.

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Playing Devils advocate, Luton fans are loving it as about 50% of their fan base have never experienced the top flight, and the rest it's been 30 years. Its a different scenario.

Very devilish KH.

So the fact that we have experienced top-flight several times in the last twenty years but have had a generally miserable time means that we should throw the towel in altogether then?

Perhaps we could afford to re-build that Main Stand with yet another humiliation?