Grant Holt, Norwich man, motivator, big hearted, universally liked and respected, knows how to win...........“I’ve done all my badges, I’ve done a management diploma. It’s on the agenda, either management or being a sporting director in the next few years. I’ve been trying to build up my knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes in football, not just on the grass.”   

He'd need an assistant - any ideas??

Wonder when he will be given his chance........

You’ve done it now Lakey, I predict a steady stream of posts entitled “<extremely unlikely candidate>? Why not?” for the next few days.

As for why not, he’s extremely inexperienced, not sure what he’s be like with the complex number and types of relationships a coach has to keep in harmony and he’s ex-Norwich, which is rarely a recipe for success.

Any mention of a Grant Holt connection with NCFC is a good shout, but a managerial appointment might be a step too far. It would be fun though and could even have a Lambert-like effect on the club. Such is the man.

Tell you what, appoint him caretaker until the end of this season and see how it goes. We couldn't do worse than the present clown.

If there is any set of supporters the length and breadth of the land who need an uplift it is those who support NCFC.

The place would buzz the moment he came out of the tunnel and the team would react accordingly. Even Rip Van Idah might wake up

Edited by BroadstairsR

Bit early to be drinking. We don’t need a first timer, nor do we need an old timer, we need someone with the right amount of coaching experience who is on the way up. Maybe one day, but not yet for Holt and us. 

He's only universally liked and respected in Norfolk though.

He might well make a decent manager but we need an experienced coach to work alongside an inexperienced SD in my opinion.

If you want ex Norwich then Mark Robins and Ian Culverhouse are more proven, but I wouldn't want them either.

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

As for why not, he’s extremely inexperienced, not sure what he’s be like with the complex number and types of relationships a coach has to keep in harmony and he’s ex-Norwich, which is rarely a recipe for success.

He'd need to have a team around him, like Lambert/Culverhouse/Karsa or Farke/Riemer/John/Domogalla - but with the right people behind him, I can see it happening, maybe not right now, but I think he could do a caretaker role, post Wagner - and then who knows.......as Broadstairs says, there would be a buzz about the place with him at the front. Logic says he's inexperienced, but then you have to start somewhere......

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Grant Holt, Norwich man, motivator, big hearted, universally liked and respected, knows how to win...........“I’ve done all my badges, I’ve done a management diploma. It’s on the agenda, either management or being a sporting director in the next few years. I’ve been trying to build up my knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes in football, not just on the grass.”   

No. He has no managerial experience. 

1 minute ago, jaberry2 said:

No. He has no managerial experience. 

Both Smith and Wagner had it in abundance, but I'd still prefer Holty at this moment in time.

9 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Bit early to be drinking. We don’t need a first timer, nor do we need an old timer, we need someone with the right amount of coaching experience who is on the way up. Maybe one day, but not yet for Holt and us. 

He coaches kids at Langley - what more do you want? Agreed those kids are probably more emotionally stable than any professional footballer, but he has quite a few years experience of the latter.

Seriously though, invite him and try him out first.

I’d hate to see Grant’s reputation with us suffer from a failed managerial stint - but it ain’t gonna happen is it … fantasy football …

The new man is going to appoint somebody he knows via his arsenal connections … or alternately Narcis Pelach will be given a chance ….

No. Smith and Jones have already apointed former players in the managerial role with no experience multiple times, and we have been completely run over. Gunn, Grant, and to a lesser extent Adams...

If Holt would be interested in coming back into the fold, he would need a backroom position or an academy role first.

Edited by TheRock

Wouldn't mind him on the coaching team though, his very presence on matchday would be an uplift for the fans. Better than Andy Hughes as well.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Both Smith and Wagner had it in abundance, but I'd still prefer Holty at this moment in time.

Both have been bad appointments, but at least had some form of resume. Holt has nothing other than being a club legend. We need stability and experience. Throwing the dice on an ex player would be foolish.

39 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

So you want this generation’s version of Bryan Gunn-That went well last time!

• Like 2

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

I'd have Holty coaching Adam Idah. Get some fire in his belly.

That makes more sense than the original proposal. Strikers coach.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wouldn't mind him on the coaching team though, his very presence on matchday would be an uplift for the fans. Better than Andy Hughes as well.

Yeah, this. To go from Langley School to NCFC head coach is way too big a leap. But under a more experienced manager who he can learn from, and who would also be a 'lightning rod' for negative energy, I'd love to see him as part of the setup.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

He's need more than that.

I'd love to see Holty be part of the coaching team for sure, as a few have already said here - get him working with the strikers if nothing else.

However, absolutely not as manager. I've never understood the obsession some have with ex-players & the managerial position.   

4 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

So you want this generation’s version of Bryan Gunn-That went well last time!

Hardly the same. Holt's career path is leading him towards management, Gunn's was not. Quite happy to agree now is not his time, but it will be at some stage. If Wagner is to go, as seems almost certain unless he starts winning matches, we need inspiration from somewhere, even if it is a caretaker role. You could call it a bit of work experience for Holty. Bet he'd love being back in the limelight. 

A rookie manager, under a rookie SD, under octogenarian owners...

spacer.png

Edited by Cowboy

27 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

He's need more than that.

I have often thought it would be great to for Holt to spend some time with Idah. He had particular qualities in abundance, particularly a determination to get on the end of crosses, which Adam seems to lack - even more so when he might have to head the ball. I actually think Idah is a decent player but there is something missing in his attitude (or whatever it is) to getting on the end of crosses. 

He's still a level above when he comes and plays football occasionally during the week. I would suggest he's not really interested in managing a Championship football club right now.

That and it sounds a terrible idea.

44 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Isn't that what Barnes is mean't to be doing?

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Idah is past coaching, just doesn’t move into the right areas, it’s all about instinct he just doesn’t have.