1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Both Smith and Wagner had it in abundance, but I'd still prefer Holty at this moment in time.

Ok, so two examples of managers with experience not being successful means managerial experience counts for nothing and we should hire a novice? Interesting logic. 

Lets ruin another legend by giving them a manager run 😄😄

That said, cant be any worse than Dean Smith, at least Holt understands football. 

There’s no excuse for this idea if you’re sober. May as well bring Bryan Gunn back as our dietary and nutritional guru. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

2 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

He's need more than that.

Maybe he could be your grammar coach too? (Granted, s is next to d on the keyboard, so it may be a typing coach you need, god knows I do).

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Still think Paul Lambert just for the Derby day factor would just be brilliant.

Who would wink first?

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wouldn't mind him on the coaching team though, his very presence on matchday would be an uplift for the fans. Better than Andy Hughes as well.

Not a bad idea - for instance, Idah is a biggish lad but has very little presence and could learn a tonne from Holt.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Maybe he could be your grammar coach too? (Granted, s is next to d on the keyboard, so it may be a typing coach you need, god knows I do).

Duly noted. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'd have Holty coaching Adam Idah. Get some fire in his belly.

I dont think that is really something that can be coached. You either have that aggression or you don't. If you aren't willing to fling yourself at everything in the box even if you may get injured then it's not something you can practice. Purely instinct

3 hours ago, The Bunny said:

Ok, so two examples of managers with experience not being successful means managerial experience counts for nothing and we should hire a novice? Interesting logic. 

Eh?

There was no logic involved at all. Just pointing out a fact.

There is no set rule at all. Never has been.

It can work both ways. Managers with no experience at all in the role frequently make a good job of it.

We had Mike Walker at Carrow Road who brought us our greatest successes ever for a start.

Ok.

Edited by BroadstairsR

28 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Eh?

There was no logic involved at all. Just pointing out a fact.

There is no set rule at all. Never has been.

It can work both ways. Managers with no experience at all in the role frequently make a good job of it.

We had Mike Walker at Carrow Road who brought us our greatest successes ever for a start.

Ok.

Someone tell Man City they made a terrible mistake with Pep... 

6 minutes ago, The Bunny said:

Someone tell Man City they made a terrible mistake with Pep... 

Or ITFC that they made a terrible mistake with Keiran McKenna.

Horatio Nelson? Why not?

He was a strong leader and an excellent tactician and strategist within the navy, which could surely transition to this role. He has strong links to the area, is a county legend, and would surely love the chance to manage his local football team, despite an obvious lack of experience.

Sure, he may have been dead for over 200 years, but Wagner and Smith were both terrible and had life in abundance. I'd still prefer Nelson at this moment in time.

• Haha 1

I'm deeply uncomfortable giving people their first ever head coach role no matter what personal qualities or qualifications they have. I should clarify I mean first head coaching role at any level, I wouldn't mind an ex youth head coach/manager whatever but I'd want them to have some experience as the manager of a team before hiring for the role here. I know Holt has done some coaching with young players but he's not been in charge of a higher age group/ been in charge of picking the team/been judged by results/having to deal with in game tactical tweaks/playing being unhappy at not being picked etc It's just too much of a risk to take on someone who's never been in that situation before. 

Up until around the mid 2000's picking a manager based on their personal qualities and how they see the game would have been fine because the tactical side of the game in this country was quite rudimentary by today's standards and it was more a case of commanding respect, putting square pegs in square holes, getting the team fit and motivating the players. At Championship level you could do quite well by just doing that (recall Warnock's any idiot could manage a team to mid table in division 1 comment) but nowadays you don't get far without having a good tactical brain and the ability to coach it into players. 

If someone like Holt had managed an u23 or non-league team to some success then maybe? But as we saw with Gunn just being a club legend that the players like really isn't enough. Though I'm not saying Holt is incapable of anything more than that, he might be?The point is that we don't know whether he is or not because he's not demonstrated that yet so it's too much of a risk. I also kinda feel like if he wanted a head coaching role at one of the youth levels here he would have got it at some point so there must be a reason why he hasn't chosen to or the club has passed on him. If he was the head coach at one level before I must not have noticed but again if he was really good at it you would have thought he would have progressed up the system to a later age group by now. 

• Like 2

If you're happy to have Grant Holt as Wagner's replacement then you have to be happy to have Frank Lampard. Given the current situation we are in, we need someone with good Championship managerial experience, and Holty doesn't have any managerial experience at all. Wouldn't say no to him working as a coach though, as he was a great striker in his playing days

9 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Grant Holt, Norwich man, motivator, big hearted, universally liked and respected, knows how to win...........“I’ve done all my badges, I’ve done a management diploma. It’s on the agenda, either management or being a sporting director in the next few years. I’ve been trying to build up my knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes in football, not just on the grass.”   

He'd need an assistant - any ideas??

Wonder when he will be given his chance........

He works at a private school coaching children atm

my Daughters school played them in the county finals last year

• Like 1

No chance for Holty.....For a start he won't get invited for cosy get-together Sunday roasts down Stowmarket as he eats his peas with a knife....

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

No chance for Holty.....For a start he won't get invited for cosy get-together Sunday roasts down Stowmarket as he eats his peas with a knife....

Purple the butler wouldn’t serve him anyway. 

All this talk about the need for (Championship) managerial experience being a necessary for any Wagner replacement, yet no mention at all has been made about the fact that we have just appointed a (young) Director of Football who has no experience at all in the arguably more important Director of Football role. An appointment which seems to have been favourably received by most, if not all, by dint of the fact that the new man represents an up-to-date figure who is likely to bring an innovative approach to the job being from a background untarnished by the often referred to 'charlatan' mentality of the McNallys, the Moxeys or, indeed the Webbers, all of whom were supposedly experienced in the wheeling and dealing of the game before coming to Carrow Road. 

This is not by any stretch an endorsement of Grant Holt as manager of Norwich City, but I don't think that the OP's imagination was running wild by implying the impact that the man would have in massively raising the morale of players and support alike by his very presence, if only on a temporary basis. An injection this downtrodden club could well do with at this moment in time.   

Quite frankly though I am unable to see any measure taken to replace the current incumbent as being other than an improvement. Relegation form is just that and if this thought seems alarmist (who knows on current form?) then is it not suffice to say that this season has at best become a write-off for the club whereby even dreams of a play-off place have become idle in record time.

The new man needs time to make his own appointment. The club needs a shot in the arm to resurrect a season which has become as dismal as any in recent memory. 

• Like 1