Tommo

Up and coming managerial candidates

Carsley

Eustace 

Wilshere 

Mousinho

Schumacher

Herdman

Emma Hayes? Worth a punt? Surely we can offer more money than Chelsea women? 

Culverhouse? 

Edited by GodlyOtsemobor

Carsley and Evatt would be the best of those realistic suggestions, in my opinion. 

Lots of people are suggesting Wilshere due to Knapper's Arsenal links, but as I said on another thread yesterday, he has never struck me as being the most intelligent or charismatic, and has only been coaching for one year in Arsenal's youth team. I fear he'd be way out of his depth here at this very early stage of his coaching career. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Carsley and Evatt would be the best of those realistic suggestions, in my opinion. 

Lots of people are suggesting Wilshere due to Knapper's Arsenal links, but as I said on another thread yesterday, he has never struck me as being the most intelligent or charismatic, and has only been coaching for one year in Arsenal's youth team. I fear he'd be way out of his depth here at this very early stage of his coaching career. 

The reason I’m iffy on Wilshere is that there are many young & upcoming coaches who also have some track record behind them, albeit often at lower levels. Not to say he wouldn’t succeed but I’d rather someone with some senior experience.

16 hours ago, 7HAR1980 said:

Kevin Muscat.

As someone has mentioned before, he's in the same mould as Ange Postecoglu.

No he’s a cnut 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yes but him alongside Carlos Cuesta would be a good start!

5 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I know Jack, he's very settled and doubt he would move away from arsenal. I don't think he's a good suggestion and as much as I would like to see Wagner gone, there have been little decent suggestions which would work for us currently touted

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

It’s what this club needs at the minute.

That's just so retro, man.

1 minute ago, CardiffCanary said:

Schumacher

Gave us a hiding … takes over and is a hit 

Ring any bells from era’s gone by !!!?

That’s a good shout. He’d walk here to take this job. 

• Like 1

I can’t help but feel Wagner will be gone if we lose against Blackburn 

then managerless for the Cardiff match to then get someone in over the international break.

I do feel that we wouldn’t be in this position if we had Sarge and Barnes fit.  But… I’ll caveat that with it not bring an excuse, a complete lack of plan B and seemingly no in game tactical nouse.

50 minutes ago, CardiffCanary said:

Schumacher

Gave us a hiding … takes over and is a hit 

Ring any bells from era’s gone by !!!?

Schumacher is my first choice making lesser players play better as a team unit ,

only concern we have seen them before good at motivating lesser players but when they move up it is different  ,

Nathan Jones prime example , 

every Manager is a gamble but  Schumacher is on a upward curve as in got Plymouth up from Lg1 struggling a bit this term though 

Edited by norfolkngood

6 hours ago, Commonsense said:

No he’s a cnut 

As a player, I agree.

He's not like that as a coach/manager.

2 hours ago, CardiffCanary said:

I can’t help but feel Wagner will be gone if we lose against Blackburn 

then managerless for the Cardiff match to then get someone in over the international break.

I do feel that we wouldn’t be in this position if we had Sarge and Barnes fit.  But… I’ll caveat that with it not bring an excuse, a complete lack of plan B and seemingly no in game tactical nouse.

He shouldn’t be in charge for Blackburn, if he is then it’s only because Webber and the board want the ire and anger directed at Wagner rather than Webber, Delia and MWJ.

They’re just focused on saving their own skin rather than what’s good for this football club.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

And you know this, how?

Interviews and players/coaches opinions of him.

He had a good reputation in Australia too.

He's apparently a lot different to when he was a player.

On 29/10/2023 at 05:09, TheDarkKnight said:

An ambitious, risky, left-field appointment would be John Kennedy from Celtic. 

He's been the assistant to Rodgers twice and Ange. So he's worked under two good managers with a similar playing ethos. 

Ange wanted to take him to Tottenham but they refused to pay the fee to get him released. 

I have a lot of time for Kennedy. His career was ended at age 20 (as I remember correctly) on his Scotland debut.  It would be a risky move, though. 

Good assistants don't always make good managers. Brian Kidd was brilliant at Manchester United as an assistant, but flopped at Blackburn. 

Sometimes it can go well, though, Walter Smith stepped from assistant to Souness at Rangers into the manager's role and he turned into one of the best managers Scotland have produced.

Not a bad shout.
Pretty sure he was on loan with us and was definitely older than 20?

• Like 1

My main concern is what if, by some miracle, Wagner gets a win against Blackburn. That scuppers all our hopes!

I'm not convinced the players are playing for him and he'll pick the usual suspects al over again, so wont help himself

29 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

My main concern is what if, by some miracle, Wagner gets a win against Blackburn. That scuppers all our hopes!

I'm not convinced the players are playing for him and he'll pick the usual suspects al over again, so wont help himself

It always amazes me when a so called fan starts to wish for their team to lose. Disgusting. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Wagner will be home before too long regardless of the Blackburn game so we should, as always be wanting the 3 points against them. Whether he wins or not won’t change a lot in the mid to long term. Besides, if he were to turn it around and we go on a long winning run then who cares anyway.

41 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Beating Blackburn could relegate us?

It is imperative that the next manager has not previously been sacked. As soon as you have been, you are forever damaged goods, in your own mind more than anywhere. Take Lambert for example. He knew he was just masquerading in all those jobs he took after Villa.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

It always amazes me when a so called fan starts to wish for their team to lose. Disgusting. 

So you want Wagner to continue?

If he could replicate that early season form, absolutely, but there's no signs of that at all.

Fans can want our iwn team to lose for the greater picture to.improve. thats not disgusting. Thats wanting whats best for the team

No idea. But whoever's our next manager, I'll wish him all the best. And, in spite of the fact I'm not remotely convinced that Wagner can turn this around, while he's still the manager I wish him all the best as well.

23 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

No idea. But whoever's our next manager, I'll wish him all the best. And, in spite of the fact I'm not remotely convinced that Wagner can turn this around, while he's still the manager I wish him all the best as well.

I do too, still would like Wagner to turn it around, but alas I believe the squad he’s been given is unmotivated and pretty poor! We have a few decent young players, a few decent championship experienced players, old journeymen bought in who are just not good enough and the rest have been shipped out only to come back into the squad, Hernandez & Placheta were deemed not good enough then now in! Look

Edited by Indy

10 minutes ago, Indy said:

I do too, still would like Wagner to turn it around, but alas I believe the squad he’s been given is unmotivated and pretty poor! We have a few decent young players, a few decent championship experienced players, old journeymen bought in who are just not good enough and the rest have been shipped out only to come back into the squad, Hernandez & Placheta were deemed not good enough then now in! Look

It's up to him to motivate the squad. To be fair to the fans, they've certainly done their bit on that score this season.

In some ways we have to hope Wagner can keep the points ticking over and bide us a bit of time to get a strategically chosen replacement. A couple of more defeats and other results go against us that relegation zone looks even closer and we simply must take action. It's not my preferred option but might be sensible in these circumstances.

I'd wanted Schumacher here last time and he'd be my choice but technically he's not available and Plymouth would want compensation - an additional expense we don't need.

You never know perhaps there is stuff going on in the background with Webber and Knapper.

• Like 1