Has to be changes for Sunderland

8 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

How about...

Long

Duffy  Baath  Gibson

Stacey  Forshaw  McLean  Giannoulis

Sara

Idah   Rowe

...we simply must come up with a way of being solid and stop conceding 20 chances every game.

Think I might have said this earlier in the thread. Have to tighten up and let Sara/Rowe win us a game 

5 hours ago, kenfoggo said:

So many people still think Idah is a striker!?! He should not even be in the squad let alone on the team sheet. He spent all his time on the pitch hiding from the ball and when he did accidentally get given the ball his first touch was normally appalling . His attitude was that of a spoilt brat (especially when substituted) and was seen too often trying to coach Nunez on how he should be playing. I would pick ABI (Anyone But Idah).

ABI is currently Hwang! Be careful what you wish for.

oddly this spell of starts is actually doing Idah good (albeit I understand he’s not been great). He has clearly needed a run of games for about 4 seasons but we have managed a player that looked a talent really badly.

ever the optimist, he is clearly about to click in and do a David Nielsen. 

3 minutes ago, Big O said:

ABI is currently Hwang! Be careful what you wish for.

oddly this spell of starts is actually doing Idah good (albeit I understand he’s not been great). He has clearly needed a run of games for about 4 seasons but we have managed a player that looked a talent really badly.

ever the optimist, he is clearly about to click in and do a David Nielsen. 

Agreed, his overall play has improved although his finishing hasn't. He's not getting many chances though.

I shudder at the thought of Hwang starting - a headless chicken and his team mates won't pass to him for some reason.

What has happened to Gibbs this year, thought he was really promising last year, being forced to play out of position ir just the general malaise that has affected the rest of the team?

14 minutes ago, Steve White said:

What has happened to Gibbs this year, thought he was really promising last year, being forced to play out of position ir just the general malaise that has affected the rest of the team?

A bit like Núñez I have no idea what sort of midfielder he is. Defensive? Box to Box? Number 10? 

44 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

A bit like Núñez I have no idea what sort of midfielder he is. Defensive? Box to Box? Number 10? 

He looks good at DM but our useless Manager never picks him there 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

He's not getting many chances though.

That's because he's not creating them or moving into the sorts of positions where they can be created for him. He's had a number of openings in recent weeks but doesn't make the right decisions to turn them into scoring chances. 

Slightly different for me-

Long

Stacey  Warner Baath Gianoullis

Forshaw Sorensen

Nunez.     Sara.         Sainz

Rowe

Double DM- no room for Idah, Gibson or McLean ( who competes with Sara for the advanced role)

14 hours ago, Big O said:

this is a very good point. Whatever you think of him, he's our player and he desperately needs a run of games. If that run of games proves he's not up to it at this level, so be it.

I went to the Leeds game and was pretty impressed by his overall play. Certainly a lot better than his reputation on here would suggest. But I do worry that @Petriix is right and that he just hasn't got the instincts to be in the right place at the right time. Not sure how much that's coach-able, or will come with experience.

37 minutes ago, jonnyace1 said:

Slightly different for me-

Long

Stacey  Warner Baath Gianoullis

Forshaw Sorensen

Nunez.     Sara.         Sainz

Rowe

Double DM- no room for Idah, Gibson or McLean ( who competes with Sara for the advanced role)

Bold but worth a go !! 

would like to see a Under 23 striker on the Bench instead of Hwang 

has shown us nothing really since he has been here you never know how a Under 23 striker will handle the occasion might rise to it and we unearth a goal scorer 

what i do know is if we play Hwang we will just be doing the same old time for a hero ! 

the boy from Man city would be my call over Hwang lets see what he is like 

12 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Like many of our midfielders they’re never played to their strengths, probably because we have too many of a similar type. You wouldn’t see the best of Gibbs unless he’s played in an advanced attacking role. Same as Sara and Nunez but how many of them can you fit in, in one game. There in lies the problem. I’d love to see more of Gibbs but would I pick him ahead of Sara? No way.

Edited by Coneys Knee

Although Sorenson is probably not our most capable footballer I do think there is a case for playing him with an instruction to follow the defensive line and allow the transition to 3 at the back and freeing Giannoulis and Stacey to push further forward when attacking. Duffy is keen on the halfway line interception and we need someone dropping back to allow that. I think that's probably what Kenny is supposed to be doing as the 'Quarterback' but he's not a central defender, and is more useful further forward. There must be a reason Baath hasn't played a minute yet (has he?), but I would like to see more of him before sticking him in for 90 minutes! I like the idea of a 3 forward line with a false 9, like  you ordered Salah/Firmino/Mane from Wish, and I think we have 3 capable of doing something like that.

Long

Stacey  Duffy Gibson Gianoullis

Sorensen

McLean (deep) Sara (Attacking)

Nunez.              Sainz (False 9)             Rowe

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

this is a very good point. Whatever you think of him, he's our player and he desperately needs a run of games. If that run of games proves he's not up to it at this level, so be it.

I went to the Leeds game and was pretty impressed by his overall play. Certainly a lot better than his reputation on here would suggest. But I do worry that @Petriix is right and that he just hasn't got the instincts to be in the right place at the right time. Not sure how much that's coach-able, or will come with experience.

His anticipation is really poor, summed up by the header he put over the bar from about 5 yards out v Swansea I think? People complained the cross was hit too hard but he seemed entirely surprised it had even found him. That side of his game is going to badly limit his ceiling even at this level. A large part of what makes Kane or Lewandowski such dangers is not physicality or skill but that mental side to be able to pick up the right positions and anticipate.

I do agree he's been poorly managed- he really should have had a loan spell at some point. I don't see much development in him since he first broke through and that may be caused by the fact he's rarely started more than 1 or 2 games at a time.

48 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Although Sorenson is probably not our most capable footballer I do think there is a case for playing him with an instruction to follow the defensive line and allow the transition to 3 at the back and freeing Giannoulis and Stacey to push further forward when attacking. Duffy is keen on the halfway line interception and we need someone dropping back to allow that. I think that's probably what Kenny is supposed to be doing as the 'Quarterback' but he's not a central defender, and is more useful further forward. There must be a reason Baath hasn't played a minute yet (has he?), but I would like to see more of him before sticking him in for 90 minutes! I like the idea of a 3 forward line with a false 9, like  you ordered Salah/Firmino/Mane from Wish, and I think we have 3 capable of doing something like that.

Long

Stacey  Duffy Gibson Gianoullis

Sorensen

McLean (deep) Sara (Attacking)

Nunez.              Sainz (False 9)             Rowe

Sainz (false 9) is interesting but I have wondered about playing him with Idah. Wagner has put Gibbs there in the past but from the limited amount I’ve seen Sainz, basically Fulham, he looks more dangerous around the box. Maybe a better option than Hwang or Gibbs.

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

People complained the cross was hit too hard but he seemed entirely surprised it had even found him.

I was one of those people - but I certainly take the point.

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

that mental side to be able to pick up the right positions and anticipate.

Loved the Lineker quote that @PurpleCanary shared the other day, that being a CF is not about 'being in the right place at the right time. It's about being in the right place all the time.' Poor old Adam seems to be in the right place almost none of the time.

23 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't see much development in him since he first broke through and that may be caused by the fact he's rarely started more than 1 or 2 games at a time.

Given that it already seems inevitable that we're going to do nothing this season, perhaps this run of games will in time come to be seen as the one good thing to come out of this dreadful run. Hopefully he'll benefit from it, but if not, at least we know.

1 hour ago, Thumbbass said:

Although Sorenson is probably not our most capable footballer

Is Sorenson available? Thought he was still injured?

15 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Is Sorenson available? Thought he was still injured?

In one of Wagner's last media briefings he said Lungi was training with the squad but still needed a couple of weeks and an U21 or two before he was truly in contention. 

13 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

He looks good at DM but our useless Manager never picks him there 

That is because this is nonsense, he looks far from good at DM, certainly worse than Kenny even.

Looks an 8, to me.

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Mowbray thinks his side are in for a really tough challenge 🤥😆

Is a bit funny- guess he wants his team focused, but I am sure unless Wagner has had a total change of mentality and is brave enough to make a change to the back four/ midfield, that Sunderland will be in for an easy three points.

Long

Stacey            Duffy          Gibson         McCallum                  

Sainz               Sara            Nunez              Dimi

Rowe

Hwang 

One of Sorensen's last gsmes for us when playing at CDM was the away win at Millwall (where he scored)..and looked ok...in one of the next games he was also playing there in a side winnning away at Blackburn  which also happened to be the game where both Hanley and Gibson were crocked for the season, so then had to go to centre back in that game and for the rest of the season

Has to be worth a go at sitting in front of the back 4. We simply cannot continue to be this open and Wagner clearly doesnt think Forshaw is fit enough/good enough/suitable for that role.

1 hour ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I was one of those people - but I certainly take the point.

Loved the Lineker quote that @PurpleCanary shared the other day, that being a CF is not about 'being in the right place at the right time. It's about being in the right place all the time.' Poor old Adam seems to be in the right place almost none of the time.

Given that it already seems inevitable that we're going to do nothing this season, perhaps this run of games will in time come to be seen as the one good thing to come out of this dreadful run. Hopefully he'll benefit from it, but if not, at least we know.

Then let's stop overcomplicating things and making him play as a false 9 and coming deep because we set out to be outnumbered in midfield. Plymouth away, the disaster, second half we clearly told Idah to play as a traditional CF on the shoulder of last defender and not only did he score from open play, he got into good position 2 or 3 times (and should have scored one of them). 

3 hours ago, Walcombe canary said:

For me there has to be changes. I would go :

Long

Stacey - Duffy-Batth-Giannoulis

Forshaw - McLean

Rowe- Sara- ( Sainz or Placheta )

Idah 

This but with Sainz, no contest.

Edited by jaberry2

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Then let's stop overcomplicating things and making him play as a false 9

Only game I've seen recently was Leeds and he didn't really seem to be a false 9 in that game to me. Unless he was so good at it I missed it.