Sign in to follow this  
Naturalcynic

FA not lighting up Wembley Arch

So the FA have decided not to light up Wembley Arch in the colours of the Israeli flag.  Is this a spineless and shameful display of fence-sitting from the governing body of our national sport, or is it a sensible and entirely appropriate move because politics has no place in sport and football should be about football?

Unfortunately there’s enough Hamas types over here that would probably use it as justification for a suicide bombing during the Euros or something similar.

The religion of peace, obviously.🙄

"Is this a spineless and shameful display of fence-sitting"

All the players in the stadium will be holding a minutes silence prior to kickoff. That's not exactly fence sitting and if anything can be seen as probably the better way to not ignite tensions and respect the loss of lives of innocents on both sides.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

So the FA have decided not to light up Wembley Arch in the colours of the Israeli flag.  Is this a spineless and shameful display of fence-sitting from the governing body of our national sport, or is it a sensible and entirely appropriate move because politics has no place in sport and football should be about football?

Very much the latter for me, though politics and events will always be a consideration. As they are doing, it seems appropriate to have a minute of silence for what’s going on, but it’s nothing remotely like the Russia/Ukraine invasion.  

Edited by Branston Pickle

Don't think they should light it up for Israel. Neither side deserves any support from the FA

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Don't think they should light it up for Israel. Neither side deserves any support from the FA

Exactly this. If it is to be lit up then both flags only, not one or the other. A minute's silence in commemoration of all victims strikes me as a much more justified, even-handed response.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Always seems to be some poltical situation or other everytime an England game comes round....which both the FA and Gareth Southgate seem to then have to answer to?

Theyre a football association....not the moral arbiters of anything and everything.

• Like 3

It’s the right decision, otherwise the FA are seen as taking sides with Israel and that would be so wrong and like a red rag to a bull in all honesty.

Im sat here in the Middle East and right now tensions are higher than I’ve ever witnessed before because of what’s happening, so it doesn’t need anything else being done to ignite it further! 

• Like 1

I'm of the, possibly naive, view that neither side adequately represents either the Israeli people or the Palestinians.

Murdering children at gunpoint or via bombing/starvation means neither side holds the moral high ground, in my opinion.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Stick the leaders of Hamas and the leaders of Israel in a locked room for a day with nothing but a pen and paper. 
if no one comes out alive they will have all done Palestinians and Israelis a favour ( and the rest of the world). 

Edited by duke63
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

I'm of the, possibly naive, view that neither side adequately represents either the Israeli people or the Palestinians.

Murdering children at gunpoint or via bombing/starvation means neither side holds the moral high ground, in my opinion.

100% this 

• Like 3

FA doing right, a rare thing.  However believe US throwing all their might behind Israel might backfire.  Whilst we are on politics Putin  and the Russians will reap the whirlwind following Ukraine war, having a very upset Ukraine over the border will see extreme terrorist action.  Maybe Russia but definitely the parts of Ukraine annexed by Russia.  Police asked to police those areas are leaving in droves and expect rebuilt towns to be reduced to rubble as is the rest of Ukraine.

If you are going to light the arch then is has to be both Israel and Palestine to acknowledge the suffering of both. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

If you are going to light the arch then is has to be both Israel and Palestine to acknowledge the suffering of both. 

Why?  They didn’t light the arch in both Ukrainian and Russian colours.

Edited by Naturalcynic

If they lit the arch for every terrorist attack in the Middle East it would be changing colour every week.

Also more Palestinian civilians have now been killed in the latest flare than Israeli ones, therefore picking sides would be rather stupid for the FA. A minutes silence is much more appropriate 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

If they lit the arch for every terrorist attack in the Middle East it would be changing colour every week.

Also more Palestinian civilians have now been killed in the latest flare than Israeli ones, therefore picking sides would be rather stupid for the FA. A minutes silence is much more appropriate 

I agree with Fen. That's a weird sensation.😉

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

Somebody will soon drag the debate back to Brexit somehow and normal service will be resumed don’t you worry 

• Haha 1

They should stick to football and shouldn’t have started a precedent. They now have to morally judge what is and isn’t worthy. It’s one of many examples of over reach of organisations in this country- who feel the necessity to virtue signal. 

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

Talking about weird, on another thread Big Vince has endorsed a post of mine…

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

This forums collapsing around us...

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2023 at 19:24, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

**** Hamas, and **** the Israeli government. Absolutely inhumane actions from both of them.

Exactly. Our support is for the people of Gaza and the people of Israel, both of whom have been so badly let down by the warmongers who run their countries.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

And I agreed with DCB yesterday. It’s the end times!

13 hours ago, S_81 said:

They should stick to football and shouldn’t have started a precedent. They now have to morally judge what is and isn’t worthy. It’s one of many examples of over reach of organisations in this country- who feel the necessity to virtue signal. 

They did. Hence the minute's silence for all who have died, regardless of nationality. It was the only sensible decision to make.

Of course, some of the media in our country are basically trying to get special treatment for Israel again by saying their flag/colours should be on the arch. I'll agree if the Palestinian ones are as well, but you can safely bet they wouldn't agree to that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

They did. Hence the minute's silence for all who have died, regardless of nationality. It was the only sensible decision to make.

Of course, some of the media in our country are basically trying to get special treatment for Israel again by saying their flag/colours should be on the arch. I'll agree if the Palestinian ones are as well, but you can safely bet they wouldn't agree to that.

I agree the minute silence is appropriate. I don’t think they should ever have lit the arch up for anyone - which is my point - they started this moral precedent. Needlessly. 

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

And I agreed with DCB yesterday. It’s the end times!

Just need one more for the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just need one more for the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse...

Big Vince to admit he’s always secretly had a crush on Delia?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Big Vince to admit he’s always secretly had a crush on Delia?

He’s her long lost son maybe, hence why he hates nephew Tom inheriting everything.

• Haha 1