cambridgeshire canary

Great Yarmouth isn't that bad..

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

That’s the Eastern Europeans and gypsies that have amassed there sadly

Nope, it was like that 30 years ago, local visitors

1 minute ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

That’s the Eastern Europeans and gypsies that have amassed there sadly

whereabouts are they mostly ? i go once a months for a hour or two to see a friend who has a shop in Northgate street ,

i do not see many gathered around there 

i

48 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

You know why, you peed me off with the Greenwood comment about snapping his legs. I’m sure you’d like that done to you if you ever ventured out of your little room 

He must be guilty, all the evidence required is there in black and white. 

53 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Firstly it's bit odd to for you to be thinking about another man pleasuring himself. Secondly, why the anger and hostility?

This is clearly a lighthearted thread. Cheer up.

so was the  jack reeves thread until it started snowing.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

whereabouts are they mostly ? i go once a months for a hour or two to see a friend who has a shop in Northgate street ,

i do not see many gathered around there 

i

All over the place tbh, especially up the Barracks end of town and lots of the roads behind the seafront

• Like 1

When people mock Yarmouth and they come  from a town that looks like a mad max movie lol

Yarmouth is a relatively sleepy atypical coastal town that’s better than most. No more, no less.

Great Yarmouth has almost lost its once thriving holiday industry, now  just a day visiting resort.

It always was a working class holiday resort for the miners and factory workers from the midlands etc, which have now almost all gone. Also as the roads got better people didn’t stay do much but just had a day out there.

Lots of petty mismanagement from the councillors too over over the years hasn’t helped.

The town has its oil and gas connections but could have been much bigger in industry and the use of the port.

The football club is worth a mention, has the worlds oldest stand but laughably despite a population of around 90,000 and many footballing loving people, still plays it’s football at village level and has never won a thing of note!

Still love the place, but could be better, much better.

2 minutes ago, Sheva said:

Great Yarmouth has almost lost its once thriving holiday industry, now  just a day visiting resort.

It always was a working class holiday resort for the miners and factory workers from the midlands etc, which have now almost all gone. Also as the roads got better people didn’t stay do much but just had a day out there.

Lots of petty mismanagement from the councillors too over over the years hasn’t helped.

The town has its oil and gas connections but could have been much bigger in industry and the use of the port.

The football club is worth a mention, has the worlds oldest stand but laughably despite a population of around 90,000 and many footballing loving people, still plays it’s football at village level and has never won a thing of note!

Still love the place, but could be better, much better.

Yeah always been split resources with gorleston FC, Yarmouth could surely have a half decent team?

28 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

When people mock Yarmouth and they come  from a town that looks like a mad max movie lol

Yarmouth is a relatively sleepy atypical coastal town that’s better than most. No more, no less.

Buh - Yarmouth is certainly not a sleepy coastal town! 

Any remaining Victorian charm has been eroded over the past 20-30 years and, unless you're happy with arcades, betting shops or horrible pubs, I'd steer well clear.

I live closer to GY than Norwich but always happy to travel the extra distance.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Richard Richard said:

Buh - Yarmouth is certainly not a sleepy coastal town! 

Any remaining Victorian charm has been eroded over the past 20-30 years and, unless you're happy with arcades, betting shops or horrible pubs, I'd steer well clear.

I live closer to GY than Norwich but always happy to travel the extra distance.

The Mariners and Tombstone are nice pubs!

20 hours ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

It is also a haven for Eastern Europeans who are not very pleasant at all. 

I'd suggest a bit less of that... I've worked with plenty of Eastern Europeans both in Norfolk and when living in London (where I dated a Polish girl). My experience has been their work ethic can be far superior to British natives.

I've also worked with families from Eastern Europe living in and around Yarmouth for the last 16yrs, not been any worse than British families.

As for keeping money in Yarmouth, it's always been a problem. It's seen as a seasonal town, which means it is reliant on people bringing money to it.

There aren't enough local businesses these days to keep money in a town like Yarmouth. People can shop at tescos, the wages might go to locals, but the profit doesn't. It relies upon the warm weather trade to support it.

That said, as others have suggested, if it remarkets itself as somewhere to work from home, you could well see people moving there owing to housing being cheaper... you then ignite a gentrification process.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've worked with Eastern Europeans and they're all very pleasant. All of them.

Far more pleasant than xenophobes, that's for sure.

My thoughts exactly.

Moved there for couple yrs to save money, left town in 2010 and never looked back. Immediately life became brighter in many different respects. Kinda wish GY had gone the way of WW2 Coventry and rebuilt from scratch. A new fancy bridge now will change little in people's minds.. (those who haven't lost theirs, that is..)

21 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've worked with Eastern Europeans and they're all very pleasant. All of them.

Far more pleasant than xenophobes, that's for sure.

Not in Yarmouth and not been there since 1966 (Gerry and the Pacemakers – Ferry Cross the Mersey etc), so not qualified to talk about the town. But we had our house and the neighbouring semi re-roofed where we lived a while back by a proud Romany  family. Paid a quality price for a quality job and HMRC got their cut too. The Dad was a perfect gentleman who also took care to show us exactly what materials were being used at each stage. All were friendly and very hard working. Every night they left the area around both properties scrupulously tidy and brushed down – “the outdoors is our front room, why would we leave it messed up?” was how it was explained to us. Two years later they were nearby and called round to check everything was ok. I know this may be an exceptional experience and plenty would have had the opposite sort of encounters. But then again not all Englishmen are nice.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Petriix said:

To be fair, the Hippodrome is indeed great. The rest of the town is hit-and-miss. 

Could you point me in the direction of the hits please, I only ever seem to find the misses :classic_wink: