Rate Our Window!  

112 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with our window?

• Very satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Neither satisfied or dissatisfied
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very dissatisfied

Hard to be anything other than pretty satisfied tbh - we’ve replaced all leavers and imo in terms of the squad are probably stronger than when the window opened…at least it feels better balanced.

• Like 1

Personally, I've gone 'satisfied'. 

We've addressed the key problem from the end of last season, mainly the fact we were a soft touch. Barnes, Duffy, Batth, Stacey, even Fassnacht and Forshaw, all add leadership, experience and mental toughness.

These new players have hundreds of games each at Premier League and Championship level (bar Fassnacht, obviously) and provided they still have the hunger, will be good additions and complement the younger players and those still adapting to English football like Rowe, Idah, Sargent, Gibbs, Sainz, Sara and Nuñez.

We also have a consistent tactical plan and players have been brought in to reflect that. This is in contrast to the last couple of summers, which seemed at times like we were signing players first and then figuring out how to use them afterwards.

The only slight disappointment is that we've sold Omobamidele, Rashica and Aarons for £35m and spent hardly any of it. The new recruits collectively are likely on less money than Pukki, Krul and the other biggish earners we've shifted, and the only transfer fee of note has been the couple of million for Fassnacht.

Also, if (and it is still an 'if') Sargent is out long term, we're looking at just three players in Barnes, Idah and Hwang for two positions, before we start with round pegs in square holes or changing systems. It's a little disappointing we didn't spend a little more to ensure we got another quality forward in, even if it were just a loan.

All in all though, I'm satisfied. My prediction before the season started was 9th, but with the squad as it is now we should be looking at the playoffs.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not too bad. Performance will be the ultimate litmus test, but we needed experience, battle-hardened Championship players who could hit the ground running and some potential fresh talent in the pipeline. And we had a problem with Sargent being out for a bit, but couldn't really risk too much in terms of developing him as he clearly looks like a very good investment. So a loan signing of a striker who has something to prove is a good solution in theory.

It looks like problems have been correctly identified and remedies have been attempted. We've demonstrated that promising young talent will get their head with us and if they do well, they'll climb. At the same time we have to cut our cloth as the parachute payments are running out this season.

I don't think we'll be a soft touch this season now. I'm not sure we've quite got enough for promotion, but I think we could be kingmakers/gatekeepers.

EDIT: Just for the sake of clarification, I voted "satisfied".

Edited by TheGunnShow

I think we've addressed most areas quite well without spending much and balancing the books ahead of the end of our parachute payments. All in all a fairly well calculated window that has seen us sign players that appear to suit the strengths of our system. 

• Like 1

Satisfied ish, reluctantly, within the context we now find ourselves. Importantly we now await news on the new DoF / alternative role(s). 

2 minutes ago, York Canary said:

Stolen from Twitter/X. Must say it looks decent to me, particularly midfield. 

IMG_0085.jpeg

That looks like a very competitive Champs squad to me.

Just now, Fuzzar said:

That looks like a very competitive Champs squad to me.

Exactly. Also hopeful Ogwuru could be fast-tracked a la Fisher and Warner is still around the first team squad for now. 

I suppose for the short term its a semi decent gamble. A hardened season pro for the defence and an unknown gamble up top as a brief sticking plaster is an OK 6.5/10.

But for the long term? Dear oh dear. 2/10

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, York Canary said:

Stolen from Twitter/X. Must say it looks decent to me, particularly midfield. 

IMG_0085.jpeg

We're very well-stocked in midfield and on the flanks. I'd have been happy to cull Sorensen and one of Placheta or Springett (the latter on loan) in order to get in another forward considering Sargent's injury.

Not too convinced of this "poor long-term" strain of thought as it appears to ignore the litany of youngsters that also came in. Reyes, Fisher, Adegboyega, Lima on loan, Manning. Hills and Shipley out on loan to a League Two side that's started strongly. Not to mention that our youngsters already in the first team can learn much more from battle-hardened pros of a similar ilk. Not so sure Idah can use too much from Pukki, but he sure can pick plenty up from a tough, physical sort like Barnes. Sargent should be watching and learning as he's probably closer in style still. Forshaw should be a good guide for Gibbs and even Lungi to learn from. Fisher can readily learn from Stacey. 

I haven't even mentioned the financial aspects after parachute payments cease, obviously we don't know the wages the new lads are on, but it was clear that a cut was needed whilst keeping depth.

So this notion that it's all short-termist doesn't seem to stack up.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

As a very short term sticking plaster 8/10 

As long term strategy for our future 1/10 

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I suppose for the short term its a semi decent gamble. A hardened season pro for the defence and an unknown gamble up top as a brief sticking plaster is an OK 6.5/10.

We have brought in several young players to our academy/ U-23 set up in this window. Against Bristol in the cup we played one of our youngest ever teams. The idea that our management hasn't been attending to the long term future of the club is absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I do not get the negativity around long term.

We have development players out on loan, in the first team squad we have Gunn, Gibbs, Fisher, Sara, Rowe, Nunez, Idah, and Sargent all of who will sell for multiple millions if they do well.  We also have Tomkinson and Warner who the club seem to rate as well.

• Like 2

1. Given the way that the manager wants to play football, I think that we stronger in every department, except reserve keeper, at the end of the window than we were at the start.

2. We also seemed to have added a lot of steel, guile and experience to help the younger players develop.

3. Facing the end of parachute payments at the end of the season, we also seem to have strengthened the balance sheet after spending too much in our last premier league season.

On the negative side, I feel that we are a bit "over-stocked" in some areas - e..g. when Hanley returns we will have six Centre backs in the first team squad.

I feel we should have pushed the boat out to get cannon , I suppose it was always gonna be hard to replace big Andy at such short notice ,so at least we got someone!

• Like 1

My thoughts.

I would like to know the thinking and strategy behind the transfer window.

Strange that Norwich openly admitted that they were happy to sell two of their promising players in order to generate money to reinvest in the squad that they didn't subsequently spend.

Given that we achieve promotion (please) we are going to need at least three new centre backs as I done think Hanley,Duffy,Barth or Gibson would cut it in the prem and Barnes didn't fancy it with Burnley so I doubt he would fancy it with us either.

Hopefully the young brigade that we have acquired for the academy/U23 will come good by the start of next season

Finally,the EDP reporting team were no where near the reported targets.Talk about curve balls!!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Badger said:

1. Given the way that the manager wants to play football, I think that we stronger in every department, except reserve keeper, at the end of the window than we were at the start.

2. We also seemed to have added a lot of steel, guile and experience to help the younger players develop.

3. Facing the end of parachute payments at the end of the season, we also seem to have strengthened the balance sheet after spending too much in our last premier league season.

On the negative side, I feel that we are a bit "over-stocked" in some areas - e..g. when Hanley returns we will have six Centre backs in the first team squad.

I believe Tomlinson has gone out on loan and Hanley has an ACL injury which is really hard to recover from and he may never get back to what he was so we won't have 6 centre backs!

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Personally, I've gone 'satisfied'. 

We've addressed the key problem from the end of last season, mainly the fact we were a soft touch. Barnes, Duffy, Batth, Stacey, even Fassnacht and Forshaw, all add leadership, experience and mental toughness.

These new players have hundreds of games each at Premier League and Championship level (bar Fassnacht, obviously) and provided they still have the hunger, will be good additions and complement the younger players and those still adapting to English football like Rowe, Idah, Sargent, Gibbs, Sainz, Sara and Nuñez.

We also have a consistent tactical plan and players have been brought in to reflect that. This is in contrast to the last couple of summers, which seemed at times like we were signing players first and then figuring out how to use them afterwards.

The only slight disappointment is that we've sold Omobamidele, Rashica and Aarons for £35m and spent hardly any of it. The new recruits collectively are likely on less money than Pukki, Krul and the other biggish earners we've shifted, and the only transfer fee of note has been the couple of million for Fassnacht.

Also, if (and it is still an 'if') Sargent is out long term, we're looking at just three players in Barnes, Idah and Hwang for two positions, before we start with round pegs in square holes or changing systems. It's a little disappointing we didn't spend a little more to ensure we got another quality forward in, even if it were just a loan.

All in all though, I'm satisfied. My prediction before the season started was 9th, but with the squad as it is now we should be looking at the playoffs.

I love it when a poster makes a long post that you completely agree with. Thank you for saving me typing all that out.

12 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

I feel we should have pushed the boat out to get cannon , I suppose it was always gonna be hard to replace big Andy at such short notice ,so at least we got someone!

Short notice??? They’ve been flogging him all summer 

• Like 1

My predictions are always rubbish, but here goes. I think Fassnacht will turn out to be our best summer signing. He looks a real player to me. Taking some time to come to terms with the pace of the game in England, but when he does I think he'll be a class asset.

Webber has pulled it off again whilst securing the financial future of the club should we not get promoted. 

I cant believe some of the negativity I've read about Batth. A player who got POTS in a team that finished above us last season, who their fans love, to be our third choice CB. Who did people think we would get better?

No idea about the Striker we've signed so not going to pretend to know if that's good or not. But every other signing so far hasn't been a let down.

I think @Dean Coneys boots and @cambridgeshire canary are being far too simplistic re long term outlook. The likes of Batth on a one year deal is with the long term view of us having 4 young CBs getting first team football and potentially finding their way into the first team.

The likes of Stacey, Gini, Fassnacht aren't old.

Then we have Sargent, Idah, Rowe, Warner, Sainz. Fisher all as young players in and around the first team.

Probably the most balanced we've been in a while.

• Like 3

Yep satisfied, and it's a huge improvement on last season. Pretty pleased no one is looking for excuses or whining on about Sargent's injury.

This is a very competitive squad for this league which many clubs would die for. It's up to Wagner now.

Feels to me that anything otherthan top 6 would be a failure.

25 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Webber has pulled it off again whilst securing the financial future of the club should we not get promoted. 

I cant believe some of the negativity I've read about Batth. A player who got POTS in a team that finished above us last season, who their fans love, to be our third choice CB. Who did people think we would get better?

No idea about the Striker we've signed so not going to pretend to know if that's good or not. But every other signing so far hasn't been a let down.

I think @Dean Coneys boots and @cambridgeshire canary are being far too simplistic re long term outlook. The likes of Batth on a one year deal is with the long term view of us having 4 young CBs getting first team football and potentially finding their way into the first team.

The likes of Stacey, Gini, Fassnacht aren't old.

Then we have Sargent, Idah, Rowe, Warner, Sainz. Fisher all as young players in and around the first team.

Probably the most balanced we've been in a while.

Agree with all of this.

What a team needs in this division is a solid base and some young pace and creativity, already we have seen with Stacey and Duffy being added that it's been added and that solid base allows the forward thinking players the licence to go and play on an open way.

Omo wasn't getting in so move him on especially with what seems to be coming through in that position and bringing in experience to step in when needed is a clever move.

Pace does worry me a little but you can sit slightly deeper if needed to counter that threat.

We needed experience, we needed some leaders and we needed some on pitch brains, we now have all of that.

• Like 1

For me, proof is in the pudding. We've only just bought some of the ingredients and yet to see/taste some of them.

That said. we are off to a very good start, the new signings that have played have looked good. Added to that, players who had previously been injured a fair bit or not seen as useful are contributing too, Placheta and more so Rowe.

It's impossible to say that this has been a bad window really. Aarons wanted to go and was in the last year of his contract, Rashica didn't want to stay either. Omo we needed to maximise money on. We've done those things and in all cases, had their replacements in before they went.

People will see Batth as Omo's replacement - he's not, IMHO. He is cover. We have Dufy and Gibson and Hanley to return. The young Irish defender we signed will be Omo's longer term replacement as will Warner, Hill and Tomkinson if any or all of those make the step up.

There is always a long term plan, sometimes you need little steps when you can't replace every spot in the squad with an 18-22yr old prodigy. We have had plenty of those and we have struggled when it comes to promotion and staying up. The mix/balance is more important.

• Like 1