NorthCarolinaYellow

~1 Week to Deadline Day ... What are your moves?

Assuming we stick with the 4-4-2 (essentially to my eyes) we've got this core group:

GK: Gunn, Long
RB: Stacey, Fisher
CB: Duffy, Gibson, Hanley, Omobamidele
LB: Giannoulis, McCallum
CM: Sara, McLean, Nunez, Gibbs
W: Fassnacht, Rowe, Hernandez, Sainz
CF: Sargent, Barnes, Idah

That's 21 players and essentially 2 deep at every position. Obviously we'd sell Omobamidele if a big offer came in and then ... likely take a PL CB loan? There's Tomkinson and Warner in the wings as well. Sorensen also will be back soonish and can cover any number of positions.

So what would you do?? That's assuming we'll do anything. Now that we have a much better sense of the squad than a month ago I'd probably advocate for just two moves:

1. Loan out both Springett and Placheta. I don't see that they offer much nor will get major minutes? If we had to keep one I'd keep Placheta.
2. Loan in a PL striker. Someone young and pacy would be my preference.

Thoughts?

I think Wagner likes Placheta as an option on the left side and think he'll stay. Wouldn't be surprised to see Idah move on - Swansea need a replacement for Pirloe and £5m would probably get him. Another striker would arrive then - but probably from Europe rather than PL.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Swansea already have Piroe's replacement in Jerry Yates. And no one will be spending £5m on Idah. 

Eh? they've been playing together so far so will need another forward. Idah is already mentioned as linked to them.

6 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Eh? they've been playing together so far so will need another forward. Idah is already mentioned as linked to them.

Rumoured to be looking at Aaron Collins from Bristol Rovers. Frankly looks a better option than Idah. 

14 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

And? Doesn't mean that Yates isn't the replacement. I've seen nothing linking anyone to Idah. Happy to be proved wrong.

14 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I've not seen Idah linked with any moves away, where did you see that?

I imagine we will be outbid by the competition for him - but Lewis O’Brien from Forest would be a great addition for us and would provide much needed competition in that McLean role. 

Should McLean leave for Leeds then we should certainly use that cash to get O’Brien in. 
Possibly the case though that O’Brien is the one moving to Leeds. 

Edited by S_81

Unless we think Rowe can play as a stand in striker, only having Sarg, Barnes & Idah leaves us on thin ice, especially as we're now playing two up front.

I'd definitely look at a PL striker on loan to give us some alternatives

• Like 2

I think it would take £5m for Swansea to take Idah. Can't think where you are coming from with Placheta & Springett. If anyone is closest to moving on it is McCallum. Maybe OMO in Jan when Hanley is back.

To me it looks like we have got in who we wanted already, and there is the bonus that the new Brazilian is likely to be with us as some point, and maybe another of the summer U21 squad.

Of course, you cannot rule out a PL club coming in with what we would consider a silly offer, and the player a (perhaps) once in a life time chance.  I cannot see any signing coming in to replace who we have.

i would like to see a Experienced defensive style Midfielder who can take the heat out of Game ,

one that can slow it right down ,foul when needed and win the tight games when we are under pressure holding onto a lead ,

also a pacey striker one for the tired defenders after 70 mins after Sarge and barnes have worn them down ,

Outs .. Still have a feeling we will get a big bid in for either Sara , Sarge or Mclean basically someone who we want to keep 

Edited by norfolkngood

We might get a big bid, but we havent got to accept.

The closer to the window closing the less likely we'll sell, as it would undermine what Wagner is trying to do, and he may have a big say in it 

• Thanks 1

As Hanley is out for many more months and sadly possible that he might not ever get back to full fitness we are only one other long term injury at centre half to have only two genuine defenders who are good enough at this level in that position with no cover. That will be skating on thin ice and could easily become a crisis as in previous seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Sell Sargent to Leeds.

Give Idah to anyone who'll take him.

Buy an actual striker.

Sargent has two in three league games. That’s kind of strikerish.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mutley said:

As Hanley is out for many more months and sadly possible that he might not ever get back to full fitness we are only one other long term injury at centre half to have only two genuine defenders who are good enough at this level in that position with no cover. That will be skating on thin ice and could easily become a crisis as in previous seasons. 

Yeah I agree ACLS are nasty so whether he can get to previous levels remains to be seen , fingers crossed!

44 minutes ago, Mutley said:

That's what you have an academy for.....Tomkinson and/or Warner would get their chance.

I think the squad is just about there, with possible shortfalls at cb and striker.   In both areas an injury or suspension  to one of the starting pairs would compromise our options.   

At CB we have the well regarded Warner and Tompkinson as back up I can see a calculated risk to go with what we have with chance to reevaluate in Jan

Up front I can see a calculated gamble on a young striker who could give us wide player options too.   Rowe & Springett may not be able to sustain form in their first full season and while Onels def work has been excellent this season his much maligned end product remains his axhilles heel.   Finding that player with a hard working profile, a min height of 6ft and strength may be the challenge.

I'm still concerned about the CB position. We don't know if Hanley will be anywhere near as quick as he was, or even able to get off the ground - an achilles rupture is pretty serious for a CB.

Omo needs time on the pitch, he's already looking well rusty as seen by his pretty ordinary show against Millwall.

I don't see Sorensen or  Gibbs being able to stand in for Kenny, at least without a considerable lead in time.

Fingers and everything else crossed Barnes or Sarge don't get injured either.

We still seem to have too many wide players, so I'd be looking to loan out either Placheta, Springett or Hernandez, probably the latter as he's done nothing for 2 seasons.

We must have a bit slack in the wage bill by now?

32 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'm still concerned about the CB position. We don't know if Hanley will be anywhere near as quick as he was, or even able to get off the ground - an achilles rupture is pretty serious for a CB.

Omo needs time on the pitch, he's already looking well rusty as seen by his pretty ordinary show against Millwall.

I don't see Sorensen or  Gibbs being able to stand in for Kenny, at least without a considerable lead in time.

Fingers and everything else crossed Barnes or Sarge don't get injured either.

We still seem to have too many wide players, so I'd be looking to loan out either Placheta, Springett or Hernandez, probably the latter as he's done nothing for 2 seasons.

We must have a bit slack in the wage bill by now?

Didn’t we just give Onel a new contract? It would be bizarre to do that and then loan him out, I can’t see that happening.

I wont say a CDM but still feel we need a more gritty/hard midfielder to step in for Kenny or Sara when the opposition/way the game is going dictates it. When we are playing well then the midfield is capable but there will be some games we just need someone to get stuck in.

I'd also like to see a 'proper striker' in case of injury to Sargent as I dont think Idah will ever be good enough. I dont expect we have enough money to buy the quality we need (especially as likely to start on bench) so I think we'd have to settle for a loan.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Unless we think Rowe can play as a stand in striker, only having Sarg, Barnes & Idah leaves us on thin ice, especially as we're now playing two up front.

I was thinking this too, but I believe Fassnacht could come in and fill that role fine, in fact, I think he'd probably do a better job than Idah right now due to his experience and ability in the air.  Sainz and Rowe either side, Fassnacht up top with either Sarge or Barnes would be pretty clinical to my mind.

In fact, just looking at his position history on transfermrkt he's scored 21 in 49 games playing centre-forward in the past:

image.png.df5b5684a939dbbdfa3ec29b2619eee8.png

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

That's what you have an academy for.....Tomkinson and/or Warner would get their chance.

True. Unless we give them a run we will never know just how good they are. There could be another Max or JR waiting to get their chance.

• Like 1

We have yet to dip into the PL loan market, that usually happens late in the day.

A striker for me. Any stop-gap centre back would need to be an experienced head as it would be pointless blooding a youngster as we have a couple of our own.

As for that defensive midfielder. I note that Russ has picked up Flynn Downes, who would have probably been out of our price range in any case. Is there a L.1. clogger about, a Bradley Johnson? Peterborough usually have one or two.

I really hope that Webber has some of that new money to spare for the marketplace. If it needs to be being salted away then we are in an even worse financial predicament than I thought.

Money from Max, Rashica, Mumba and the Maddison sell-on should amount to a decent war chest.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I think the plan for the future is to have Fassnacht in the Barnes (who will soon be 34) role. When Sainz is back and fit, attack wise -barring injuries- we should be OK, even though I'd prefer if Idah left on loan to get consistent gametime and we got a more "ready" striker to rest Sargent . Defensively it is trickier. Omo needs minutes, Hanley could take a long time if he is ever returning to a competitive level, and there is not a like-for-like replacement for Kenny or GS in the middle of the park.

As I've said on another thread I'd like one more in to cover central midfield. In theory we've got 5 players for central midfield, Kenny, Sara, Sorenson, Gibbs and Nunez. However Sorenson seems to spend all of his time covering other positions and Gibbs may well end up at right back if Stacey gets injured. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with Nunez as one of a midfield 2 - just a bit too lightweight. 

So...... Lewis O'Brien or Tim Iroegbunam on loan.

6 more days...just want those to move asap..if no more ins and outs then great, we have a squad that feels as good as we could have hoped at the start of the window.