Greavsy

Brandon Williams to 1p5wich

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

He's also linked with Leeds

To be fair I said hi to Farke in Sainsburys whilst he was with us so I'm expecting to be linked to Leeds before the end of the window.

• Haha 4

Talked about last year too, just in case you want to check your opinion.

I think he'd be a decent signing for the Championship club tbh although not as good as Dimi, Sam or stand in McLeans and Sorensens!

But should spice up even more what promises to be an already hostile atmosphere in the local Derby. One for Barnes to workover.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

To be fair I said hi to Farke in Sainsburys whilst he was with us so I'm expecting to be linked to Leeds before the end of the window.

Really does feel like the media is doing a "Has this player played for Farke? Yes? Then lets say Leeds are after him" routine

49 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Really does feel like the media is doing a "Has this player played for Farke? Yes? Then lets say Leeds are after him" routine

More a case of teenage scribblers speculations, being read by numpties who turn any guess into supposed 'reliable information'. Check how many City signings were known about beforehand. Then compare that to the names posted up that we were 'interested in'. And I'm afraid CC you have been guilty of the latter far too many times, in your desperation to keep your post count high, and some odd wish to be first with the 'news'.

Edited by RobJames

26 minutes ago, RobJames said:

More a case of teenage scribblers speculations, being read by numpties who turn any guess into supposed 'reliable information'. Check how many City signings were known about beforehand. Then compare that to the names posted up that we were 'interested. And I'm afraid CC you have been guilty of the latter far too many times, in your desperation to keep your post count high, and some odd wish to be first with the 'news'.

This comes across as very childish. He didn't even start this thread and it is a forum so I'm expecting to see some rumours (reliable or otherwise). I'm pretty sick of having to navigate all the silly sniping and bickering that seems to appear on every thread. Not singling you out as such and it isn't personal as I don't know anyone on this forum but I don't get why there's such a bad atmosphere

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

This comes across as very childish. He didn't even start this thread and it is a forum so I'm expecting to see some rumours (reliable or otherwise). I'm pretty sick of having to navigate all the silly sniping and bickering that seems to appear on every thread. Not singling you out as such and it isn't personal as I don't know anyone on this forum but I don't get why there's such a bad atmosphere

Perhaps that is because you don't understand the purpose of a forum. It is the place to exchange, and put forward, ideas and thoughts. My comments stands as it is. Most so called rumours are no more than made up guesses based on loose  connections, ie Farke with players he managed at City.

I further pointed out that CC was one of the worst for starting threads based on this infantile speculation. As others well know. That you think this amounts to a bad atmosphere, would suggest forums are perhaps not a suitable place for you.

The guy needs to leave Man Utd to progress his career. But I have heard that Man Utd pay insane wages and this is the main reason they struggle to shift players. So I guess he can bide his time choosing his next team to make sure he gets it right. Would be a decent replacement for Livermento at Southampton.

Williams would be more at home at Great Yarmouth FC.

Still, I'm sure he will be well received at Carra. /sarc

33 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Perhaps that is because you don't understand the purpose of a forum. It is the place to exchange, and put forward, ideas and thoughts. My comments stands as it is. Most so called rumours are no more than made up guesses based on loose  connections, ie Farke with players he managed at City.

I further pointed out that CC was one of the worst for starting threads based on this infantile speculation. As others well know. That you think this amounts to a bad atmosphere, would suggest forums are perhaps not a suitable place for you.

Very condescending. I know what a forum is, and it isn't school boy sniping (or it shouldn't be)

Sadly I think you're absolutely right, no interest in engaging in "infantile" sniping and arrogance on the Internet, so no this isn't a suitable place for me.

14 minutes ago, Sean said:

Sadly I think you're absolutely right, no interest in engaging in "infantile" sniping and arrogance on the Internet, so no this isn't a suitable place for me.

*Sean has disconnected from Call of Duty [UKTOPSNIP0rZ] [L337Boys] server*

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Check how many City signings were known about beforehand.

This is a bit of a myth at this point.

This summer we knew about Sainz, Barnes, Duffy and Long before they signed. The only real 'out of the blue' one's were Stacey and Fassnacht.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Binner! 

Overheard in a Scotch bar that someone got it from someone ITK that Gilmour's headed for Leeds as a loan with option to buy if they get promoted. No mention of price. Don't shoot the messenger.

I’d rather have Kenny at LB than that overrated, petulant haircut*

*which looks like Michael Fabricant’s wig

Williams wages will be considerably more than any player at Ipswich. He was rumoured to be on 60k a week when he was with us. That could cause unrest within their squad if he doesn’t start well or has a poor attitude.

More likely to end up at Leeds than Ipswich purely for financial reasons.

I seem to recall many of us in favour of having the player back. I was one.

He did not disgrace himself in the Premier League when he played for us. He was wayward and raw but put in the effort and showed some skill and even class going forward.

However, going forward was his strength. I don't think he particularly stood out defensively and, as suggested above, may well have been poor in that area. From the screen it is easier to assess the value of wide players and forwards than defenders, imo. That is unless there is a stand-out display, which Williams never had.

This is also probably true of midfielders. I particularly remember being a mistaken critic of Johny Howson simply because it usually took twenty minutes and more for the commentator to even mention his name. The same applies to McClean nowadays. It usually seems far easier to value his contribution from the stands than from the screen. 

When Williams was briefly touted for a move back to Norwich it was generally assumed that he would be too expensive for us and that even a loan would be a financial stretch.

If he goes to Ipswich, even on loan, then they will likely be pushing the boat out for an unspectacular player whose presence in the squad could well upset the apple-cart. He is another one known for a controversial social media presence.

12 hours ago, RobJames said:

He should do well down there. What is a thought though is where is the money to come from to pay off what they have borrowed ? The money originates from a US pension fund. They are not a charity and will want the x 'invested' to be returned as x plus, at some point. Unless there is a £20m player sale, most Championship clubs barely make a profit, if that. Clubs making those one-off sales tend not to make it to the PL. And those that do rarely find themselves with money left over to repay loans.  You need to turn a profit for that and a check on PL accounts show that is not a common occurrence, and when it is the club usually has the extra money from European football

The current lack of any interest in their players for any sizeable fees suggest it will not be from player sales any money comes. And their pesspoor academy that could barely produce a couple of players at L1 standard is unlikely to change now they are in the Championship. I think sooner rather than later, the  Arizona Public Safety Personnel Retirement System will be wanting a return on their money, if not getting it back.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/21281391.our-fund-13-billion-holding-700m-cash---money-behind-ipswich-towns-new-owners/

It is extraordinary that there are people out there who think you can make money out of clubs like Norwich and Ipswich. Only if you get very lucky indeed. 

Marcus Evans thought he could make some easy money...... 

Their current success is entirely down to a managerial appointment. What happens when he jumps ship and goes to Everton? 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that a consortium purchased Ipswich. They acquired funding by means of a loan from an American pension fund. So it's not as straightforward as may first appear. 

Even the binners don't understand it.

Most seem to think that they are being funded by a multi-million pension fund which has fallen in love with their club (as everybody does of course) and that they are therefore set for Premier League inevitability and eventual European success.

The in-between for this deal was a so-called gang of three (chancers) who somehow persuaded the fund to invest their money. These came up with such Americanised slogans as "Towards  adversity" which binland was infatuated by.

So far and to my observation it is difficult to assess whether the fund managers are excited by investment in infrastructure and 'real estate' or in the football team its self. The fund managers would be interested in the former but have clearly been hoodwinked if they expect returns from a small club like iTFC achieving profit from the field of play. It's a very long shot is the best I can say.

So far they have invested wisely in the playing side of the programme and things are looking interested there. Getting out of L.1 being a priority. They have also "tarted up" the ground and it's environs after the neglect during the time of Marcus Evans. They talk of hotels and shopping malls/gyms or similar.

If you discard the possibility of profit from success on the field of play, which is unrealistic, then this reeks of being a similar project as that on Dion Dublin's 'house' programme of buying a wreck cheaply and doing it up to sell at a profit.

If you include that (money from football?) then the penny will eventually drop as their fund is gradually denuded of millions with scant return. If they genuinely are convinced that there is actually profit from ITFC either in the Premier League or even beyond (binner talk) then they have been badly advised.

To me, it seems that their ambitions could well be for the club to reach the Premier League and then sell. It is an investment project, not an expression of vanity.

The club is therefore vulnerable to the whims of invisible men in Arizona.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I assume that pension funds have a small percentage of investments that are ranked 'very high risk'. Ipswich Town (and NCFC) fit that description perfectly. 

13 hours ago, RobJames said:

He should do well down there. What is a thought though is where is the money to come from to pay off what they have borrowed ? The money originates from a US pension fund. They are not a charity and will want the x 'invested' to be returned as x plus, at some point. Unless there is a £20m player sale, most Championship clubs barely make a profit, if that. Clubs making those one-off sales tend not to make it to the PL. And those that do rarely find themselves with money left over to repay loans.  You need to turn a profit for that and a check on PL accounts show that is not a common occurrence, and when it is the club usually has the extra money from European football

The current lack of any interest in their players for any sizeable fees suggest it will not be from player sales any money comes. And their pesspoor academy that could barely produce a couple of players at L1 standard is unlikely to change now they are in the Championship. I think sooner rather than later, the  Arizona Public Safety Personnel Retirement System will be wanting a return on their money, if not getting it back.

You forget that many clubs do not exist just to sell players for big fees. And most sets of fans do not get excited about selling players. Their ownership will be eying a return by making them successful in the premier league. 

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

You forget that many clubs do not exist just to sell players for big fees. And most sets of fans do not get excited about selling players. Their ownership will be eying a return by making them successful in the premier league. 

That's what Marcus Evans thought..... 

When success depends solely on getting one appointment right it's a recipe for disaster. I'm sure that their current bloke is very good but that means he eventually will be offered something bigger and better. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/21281391.our-fund-13-billion-holding-700m-cash---money-behind-ipswich-towns-new-owners/

It is extraordinary that there are people out there who think you can make money out of clubs like Norwich and Ipswich. Only if you get very lucky indeed. 

Marcus Evans thought he could make some easy money...... 

Their current success is entirely down to a managerial appointment. What happens when he jumps ship and goes to Everton? 

The whole premise for them has to be invest until they get to the PL then sell it to a billionaire or sports washing regime as a PL club for more than it cost them to get there. Or loading it with debt and taking all of the TV money to service said debt. It's almost impossible to actually make money at any stage just from running a football club 

Williams is probably a better option LB than what we have already in all honesty, albeit there has been a marked improvement on Gianni of late.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Williams is probably a better option LB than what we have already in all honesty, albeit there has been a marked improvement on Gianni of late.

No, he's gash.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

No, he's gash.

But he was quite good for us, so im not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

• Like 1

Very good signing for any club at Championship level. Still potential to improve too.. any one saying his rubbish must have forgotten the couple MoM displays for us early days in the EPL. Also ripped us to shreds for United at OT in 2019.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

But he was quite good for us, so im not sure how you've come to that conclusion.

Because I don't think he was good for us. All opinions but I never saw what others did in him. 

I think when we have these crap Premier League seasons you can stand out just by looking like you care, rather than actually playing all that well, that felt the case with him.

• Like 1